PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Likey To Miss The Rest Of 2004 - Coach

lizchris
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:13 PM
Updated: 04:52 PM EDT

Tennis-Injured Clijsters likely to miss rest of season

BRUSSELS, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters looks set to miss the rest of the season after her comeback trail came to an agonising halt on Saturday when she suffered a recurrence of a left wrist injury in the semi-finals of the Belgian Open.
"As things stand, I do not see her playing anymore this year," the former world number one's coach Marc Dehous told reporters.

Clijsters was playing her first tournament for almost five months after suffering torn tendons and undergoing surgery on the wrist to remove a cyst.

She was trailing 6-4 2-2 against Russian Elena Bovina when she quit.

Clijsters asked for medical assistance after the seventh game of the first set when an onsite trainer strapped her wrist.

With her discomfort obvious, Clijsters abandoned her trademark two-handed backhand and tried to carry on by using only one hand.

However, the move failed to pay off and Clijsters decided to halt proceedings.

"She'll go to the doctors again on Monday to check what happened exactly," said Dehous.

"But as she feels pain at the same place again, we are not very optimistic.

"Kim felt immediate and acute pain in her wrist after returning one of Bovina's serve a little bit too late. She stopped at 2-2 in the second set because she was suffering too much from the wrist."

Dehous denied Clijsters aggravated the problem by coming back too early into competitive tennis.

The Belgian won her first two matches at the tournament in Hasselt but failed to last the distance against third seed Bovina.

"The doctors gave her the green light to compete in the tournament and she played her first two games without pain at all," Dehous said.

"She followed what the doctors and surgeons ordered her to do. Her comeback was carefully planned... in the days before the tournament she went at it at 100 percent with her male sparring partners and her wrist was okay."

10/02/04 16:50 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Dava
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Kim :sad::mad: I kinda thought it was too soon.

bmxbandit
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:25 PM
:(

Knizzle
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
She keeps messing up her chances to get a protected ranking/seeding.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
She keeps messing up her chances to get a protected ranking/seeding.
I really don't think she worried about that right now, and i'm not sure her fans are either.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah..I thought it was kinda foolish...because now she wonīt have the protectice ranking now that she had a setback.

although must say that even before the injury it was obvious that Elena was gonna be very tough for Kim. The comeback of both Belgians are gonna be very difficult...just as it was for the sisters. The tour doesnīt wait for anybody.

thelittlestelf
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
That's not really surprising, but still sad :sad: :sad: .

I hope she's in gear for Australian Open 2005.

Venus Forever
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah..I thought it was kinda foolish...because now she wonīt have the protectice ranking now that she had a setback.

although must say that even before the injury it was obvious that Elena was gonna be very tough for Kim. The comeback of both Belgians are gonna be very difficult...just as it was for the sisters. The tour doesnīt wait for anybody.
I agree.

I think Kim rushed this comeback a little too soon after surgery, and now it's biting her in the ass.

She should have learned from Venus last year.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
Only she knows if she was truly ready or not, I'm not even sure she rushed back, I think she took her time, its just unfortunate this happened.

Lapin
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Poor Kim; this is so sad.... :sad:

Pinkie
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
I agree.

I think Kim rushed this comeback a little too soon after surgery, and now it's biting her in the ass.

She should have learned from Venus last year.

Thing is, she went back to the doctor because she could still 'feel' something and it was the doctors that reassured her that everything had healed perfectly. So while in the past you could say she rushed things aginst medical advice, she was the one being careful now. She didn't come back earlier than the recovery period advised. If the wrist would have acted up in the third tournament, you could have accused her of playing too much too fast, but this was only after two matches (she injured herself on the second BH hit today, so I am not counting today). :sad:

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Not saying it was rushed, but I donīt think it had any sense for Kim...I mean yeah she could get some match practice, but with the slightest setback and she is out again and she doesnīt get the protected ranking...

And now she gets a new injury at another area of the wrist....thatīs worrisome.

Pinkie
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
yeah, well, none of us fans are happy campers today. But, hey, such is life.

Anyway, I just posted this in the CCL, but I am wandering what people with some medical expertise think of this first assessment of the injury...

"Anyway, it was already posted that Kim would not need surgery based on first examinations in the Genk hospital. I just wanted to add the rest that was said in the VRT newscast, so maybe our resident medical experts can comment on it. The report says Kim has an inflammation of the tendon with a gathering of fluid. She also has a small tear in the tendon, but what is being stressed as very important, not on the same spot as she was operated on. Although her season is over, I am not sure what this means in terms of how serious the injury is."

Thoughts?

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
I donīt think it is any good....a new injury at the same wrist?! Hmmmm....

beauty_is_pink
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
this is heartbreaking and im getting angry and sad. :(
hmph

Kim :sad:
please heal up 110%

DEETHELICK
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
I feel so bad for Kim. She is a genuinely nice girl, has a great game and is definitely good for the WTA.

May she rest and heal and be ready for 2005. She can spend some time focusing on her marriage plans to help her through the tough times.

C'mon Kim :)

Knizzle
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
She def rushed back for this Belgian tourney. Just like she rushed back to prepare for Roland Garros.

JonBcn
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
She def rushed back for this Belgian tourney. Just like she rushed back to prepare for Roland Garros.
I hope Hagar's got you on ignore, or you're in for a big red dot...

Wenddy
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Get well soon Kim. You are missed.

Pinkie
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:31 PM

Urgh, I am replying to too many posts, but I am just too :bigcry: to do anything else. You know, judging from the fact that she got re-injured, you would have to say she came back to early. I mean, that is a big duh, I guess. But I don' t think you can blame her for rushing back and ignoring sound medical advice. She took the prescribed amount of time, she didn't come back during the USO like the doctors said she could have, she went in for an extra check-up because she herself wasn't sure and the doctors gave her the OK because the tendon looked perfect. So did she come back too early? Well, yes. But did she push it herself? For me, no.

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Hey, WTF? I knew it was getting to sound to good to have
Serena, the UberBoss, the Capster and Kimmy at Filderstadt
and punching each other out at Zurich, Moscow etc...

I feel for you Kimmy fans. I know how it is, nothing is more
disappointing for the supporter than the early exit, and unhappy
news about match play. Cheer up- 2005. This will no doubt
be everybody's good year, and everybody will be in all
the draws. (cross fingers).

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Although I must say that the earilie career-pattern between Kim and Juju is going too far now!! :eek:

first major final at the same year
no.1 in the same year
and now they both go down with major injuries in the same year?! :eek: :bolt:

manu
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:38 PM
I hope Hagar's got you on ignore, or you're in for a big red dot...
Djeez man, when you call other people childish, show some maturity yourself. I think sometimes a person should be allowed to misbehave a little when they're so upset, is it that difficult to understand?

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:38 PM
Although I must say that the earilie career-pattern between Kim and Juju is going too far now!! :eek:

first major final at the same year
no.1 in the same year
and now they both go down with major injuries in the same year?! :eek: :bolt:

:lol:

Cut it out you two! Stop it already! We get the eerie vibe, yeah
enough. ;)

They're sort of like Henman and Greg, two opposites- yet
intertwined in the most extraordinary ways. :eek:

dansnewbeg
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Very sad to hear this. I want her to have a great career.

JonBcn
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Djeez man, when you call other people childish, show some maturity yourself. I think sometimes a person should be allowed to misbehave a little when they're so upset, is it that difficult to understand?
I consider myself told. I'll remember that next time I'm upset and want to abuse someone :)

Pinkie
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:44 PM
I consider myself told. I'll remember that next time I'm upset and want to abuse someone :)

Sounds like a great classified: "Tart with a hearts seeks someone to abuse" ;)

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:45 PM
:lol:

Cut it out you two! Stop it already! We get the eerie vibe, yeah
enough. ;)

They're sort of like Henman and Greg, two opposites- yet
intertwined in the most extraordinary ways. :eek:

:lol: :haha: Can you imagine if Pierre-Yves changed his name to Lleyton?! :lol:

manu
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:47 PM
Well let me know when you're gonna burst. I'll prepare the rest of the board;)

Doraemon
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:48 PM
bandadou it's too obvious that you are happy about what happened to Kim and Justin just go away n piss in hell.

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
:lol: :haha: Can you imagine if Pierre-Yves changed his name to Lleyton?! :lol:

Actually, I'm more concerned if Leyton wanted to date PY, that
evil metrosexual! :eek:

NO- what scared the hell out of me was learning that Henman
and Greg both have married girls named LUCY, and they all
had their first child within months of each other.

Wow- early Halloween storytime.

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:50 PM
bandadou it's too obvious that you are happy about what happened to Kim and Justin just go away n piss in hell.

SS- speaks magic and wisdom. :worship:

jenny161185
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
poor Kim I really hope her wrist can fully recover and hopefully she'll be back in top form for 2005 , the tour needs her!

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:06 AM
Actually, I'm more concerned if Leyton wanted to date PY, that
evil metrosexual! :eek:

NO- what scared the hell out of me was learning that Henman
and Greg both have married girls named LUCY, and they all
had their first child within months of each other.

Wow- early Halloween storytime.

Scary!!

And why would I be any happy that Kim and Justine are down with injuries?! When my own two favs have been out for almost a year...I already went through that and it ainīt no fun.

vettipooh
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
She should have taken extra time.There was no need to play Hasselt. After all, its a tier3. She's defending Filderstadt, Seat open and yec.Then there's Moscow,Zurich and Linz in which she could have played. Sure she might have returned too soon, but I think she knew all the pros and cons.

fabifan#1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:19 AM
i thought it was enough time

o well she just has to get better

Chunchun
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:21 AM
Kim :( :(

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:22 AM
:(:sad: Kim :sad::(

chrisbutt88
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
I hope Hagar's got you on ignore, or you're in for a big red dot...:devil: :devil: :devil: What are you..the big red dot guru...:yawn: :scratch: :ras: If that's your only contribution ..:mad: :fiery: Give it once to...oneself...if your honest...

:kiss: Think it's to soon to say that Kimmie is that bad injuired..think she quit to prefend...:zzz: We can all sleep quiet again.

Venus Forever
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:45 AM
Thing is, she went back to the doctor because she could still 'feel' something and it was the doctors that reassured her that everything had healed perfectly. So while in the past you could say she rushed things aginst medical advice, she was the one being careful now. She didn't come back earlier than the recovery period advised. If the wrist would have acted up in the third tournament, you could have accused her of playing too much too fast, but this was only after two matches (she injured herself on the second BH hit today, so I am not counting today). :sad:
Honestly, if I was Kim, I wouldn't have believed the doctors or listened to them. I wouldn't have wanted to play in ANY type of pain. I would have waited until that pain went completely away, and just practiced lightly until then.

I mean, come on, she only had surgery a few WEEKS ago. Serena took eight months off (of course different circumstances,) but still. It's only been a few weeks. She shouldn't be trying too hard to get back.

She's still partly to blame. She should know her body better than anyone else.

Heal Kim, we want you back!!:sad:

wateva
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
see my signature... :sad:

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:52 AM
I don't know why people think she came back too soon - she's been out for months.

Sad end to a potentially good comeback but I'm sure Kim will get better and return to her winning ways soon enough.

fammmmedspin
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:55 AM
She should have taken extra time.There was no need to play Hasselt. After all, its a tier3. She's defending Filderstadt, Seat open and yec.Then there's Moscow,Zurich and Linz in which she could have played. Sure she might have returned too soon, but I think she knew all the pros and cons.
Coming back in a tier 3 seemed to make sense - practice for the Tier 1s and 2s with limited opposition to start.

If the wrist injury is somewhere else you can see why they might not have worried or known about it and told her that playing was fine.

This is triply sad. she was playing well earlier in trhe week which looked very promising. Second it looks like something bad is going on with her wrist - it looks like serena's knee or martina's foot. Finally, coming back now mucks up the special ranking for next year and will mean she comes back possibly ranked in the twenties - this doesn't matter compared to being healthy again but we don't need someone who should be in the top 3 being seeded outside the top 20.:sad: :sad: :sad:

fammmmedspin
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM
Honestly, if I was Kim, I wouldn't have believed the doctors or listened to them. I wouldn't have wanted to play in ANY type of pain. I would have waited until that pain went completely away, and just practiced lightly until then.

I mean, come on, she only had surgery a few WEEKS ago. Serena took eight months off (of course different circumstances,) but still. It's only been a few weeks. She shouldn't be trying too hard to get back.

She's still partly to blame. She should know her body better than anyone else.

Heal Kim, we want you back!!:sad:
Your second point supports your first one in your first sentence though. Serena took 8 months and its still a problem. Venus still seems to carry injuries from years ago. Martina Hs foot was hardly a medical success story. It just underlines how hit and miss medicine is and how you can be hit medically whether you play 23 or 13 tournaments a year.

Venus Forever
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:59 AM
Your second point supports your first one in your first sentence though. Serena took 8 months and its still a problem. Venus still seems to carry injuries from years ago. Martina Hs foot was hardly a medical success story. It just underlines how hit and miss medicine is and how you can be hit medically whether you play 23 or 13 tournaments a year.
Agreed, BUT when thos players did come back, they were NOT feeling any pain.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that Kim has felt some pain this entire week, and even before the tournament started. To me, that says: "I'm definitely not ready."

Setbacks are expected, but I think this one was obviously expected and could have been avoided with just a lot more rest.

Zhao
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:10 AM
she's going to drop out of top 10 right??? :crying2:

Chance
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:06 AM
I had a bad feeling at the beginning of the tournament... let's hope it's a minor setback.
Recover soon Kim.

Elke
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM
For one last time: Kim didn't come back too soon: she's visited doctors in Belgium, France, USA (during her stay with Lleyt this summer) and from Austr. DC medics.

They ALL said she was ready to come back...

Slumpsova
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
omg Kim... :sad: :sad: :sad:

i don't care if you lose the match but injured again was just heartbreaking.

get well soon honey...

:bigcry: :sobbing: :crying2:

manu
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Venus Forever]I mean, come on, she only had surgery a few WEEKS ago./QUOTE]

I thought she had surgery in May?

~|Naomi|~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that Kim has felt some pain this entire week, and even before the tournament started
Marc said Kim felt nothing in her first two matches so she hasn't had pain all week.

She had surgery between Wimbledon and French Open.

Daniel
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Get well Kim :hug:

manu
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Her coach just said on the live final-broadcast that the soonest moment of a new comeback would be the Australian season, but that could still be a little early... Yet I don't figure why a new 3 month-recovery is needed, as she won't need surgery now? Whatever, let's hope for a speedy recovery!:) Good luck Kim!

Princess Fiona
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:01 PM
I'm so sorry for Kim... Get well soon Kim!! :hug: I felt so sorry when I saw what had happened on Teletext yesterday... And :hug: to the Kim fans - they haven't had such an easy time of it this year. When Kim is healthy - watch out tour... ;)

selesfan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Kim:sad: :sad: :sad:

raquel
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Poor Kim :sad: This is just so disappointing. Get well soon Kim :hug: