PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Shot in tennis

backhanddtl4
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:01 AM
I think it is Myskina's Backhand. It's such a beautiful stroke, and she can smack that sucker down the line. What do you think?

moby
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
i was going to say all of myskina's shots actually
i think she looks awkward hitting them, but her change of pace is deceptive off both wings
her backhand is her better side though

edit: i forgot about elena's serve
if you take away the double faults, her serve is actually very hard to attack, predictable as it is
i've only seen serena and svetlana tee off on her second serve consistently

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Serena's serve out wide is highly underrated, mostly because her ground game is ferocious. A lot of people talk about her BLISTERING power, but she can place that sucker better than anyone else in women's tennis. Also her short angled ground strokes with topspin are also really underrated.

Golovin's forehand is pretty good, but doesn't get lots of attention. It should, it's awesome for a 17 year old!

azmad_88
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Kim's serve is quite good too..
but most people dont see that

Doraemon
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Andy Roddick's serve.

Andy.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:54 AM
The Pierce forehand. it is not really ever mentioned as one of the best but it is better than Serena's and Jennifers and just as good as linsay's

Pengwin
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Henin-Hardenne's Forehand IMO is at least as good as the backhand if not better, but is ignored as a threat becuase her backhand is so unusual looking

backhanddtl4
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Henin-Hardenne's Forehand IMO is at least as good as the backhand if not better, but is ignored as a threat becuase her backhand is so unusual looking

I agree with that.....

Ummmm....How about all of Bovina's shots?

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Myskina's backhand down the line is a very good shot, but then again it can't be as apparently she has no weapons :lol:

Chunchun
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Mauresmo's BH
Sveta BH
LenaD serve :lol:

DEETHELICK
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
I'd say that not many people give credit to Jennifer's volleying. She has got great reflexes up there. Add in Venus' net play. And Elena D's too.

These three ladies know how to cover the net and volley. But its not really ever associated with their games.

thelittlestelf
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
The Venus volley and Clijsters serve.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
The Pierce forehand. it is not really ever mentioned as one of the best but it is better than Serena's and Jennifers and just as good as linsay's
Yeah, Pierce's forehand is enormous.

brunof
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Yea, I kind of forgot how frickin' hard Mary hits until I saw her again at the US Open. I would also agree in saying that Myskina's backhand is a lovely shot. It's too bad I don't have that kind of technique. lol

DevilishAttitude
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Elena Dementieva's serve :tape: but personally I think it isn't that bad it's a nice slice shot and it's taken her to 2 grand slam finals :)

jenny161185
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:16 PM
I agree with Venus and Jens good volleying and Lindsay aswell , dementievas backhand aswell

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'll say Venus' volleying and her backhand (especially down the line). I do believe its the best in the game!

treiber04
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Chanda Rubin's forehand

SJW
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:42 PM

not really....if it was consistent it could be considered better than Serena's but Serena has the power and is more consistent than mary (that's saying something....cuz Serena likes to miss on the forehand side)

K-Lina's backhand
Mauresmo's serve

JasonUK
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM

Exactly what I was thinking :yeah:

Berlin_Calling
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Mary Pierce's serve. First and second.

esquímaux
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:14 AM
Yeah, Pierce's forehand is enormous.I second that motion :worship: I saw it during her great run in 's-Hertogenbosch and I was like :wazzup:

CJ07
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Venus Williams Voley
Lindsay Davenport Movement (so much better)

fabifan#1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
lindsays volley
pierces forhand (such good angles on it)
serenas volley (no mention on it)

firefly_ac
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Hantuchova's netplay... She has feather touch plus a good tennis brain..

shnit.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
Daniela's Dropshot.. great feel, great touch..

beauty_is_pink
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Daniela's Dropshot.. great feel, great touch..Hantuchova's netplay... She has feather touch plus a good tennis brain..
:worship: :worship: :worship:
i agree :)

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Elena Dementieva's serve :tape: but personally I think it isn't that bad it's a nice slice shot and it's taken her to 2 grand slam finals :)
:eek: disagree... her serve is what has KEPT her from winning grand slams, not what has taken her to grand slam finals.
her backhand is underrated though. everybody's always talking forehand, forehand, forehand with her and her backhand can get a winner from anyway or she can keep it very deep very consistently.

but the most underrated shot in tennis is justine's forehand. it's SOOO much better than her backhand, and her backhand gets all the attention because of its beauty. justine's serve is also VERY underrated.

lindsay's volleys are never talked about.

pcrtennis
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:52 AM
Tanasugarn's serve! Verrrrrrry tricky!

Andrew.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:53 AM
Mary's forehand.

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:57 AM
Yeah I'd have to disagree :confused: .

LeonHart
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:03 AM
Hingis's serve. Sure its not one of the best serves, but she can ace once in awhile. So it cant be THAT bad. (compared to Dementieva's)

Shenanigans
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:08 AM

I do not think her serve has taken her to 2 GS finals but the rest of her game has got her there. Her serve is her biggest problem and why she has so many problems being consistent.

Conchi Party
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Conchi's moonballs :)

j_dementieva27
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
dementieva's backhand, volleys (especially her drop volleys), and her slice backhands and forehands
hantuchova's volleys
pierce's forehand and SERVE
all of bovina's game, expecially her serve (man that is an unpredictable serve)
henin-hardennes forehand

esquímaux
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:20 AM
Tanasugarn's serve! Verrrrrrry tricky!Tricky for her opponent or tricky for Tammy's shoulder? :tape::p
Conchi's moonballs :)Actually moonballing is VERY effective :D (albeit against short-tempered opponents ;))

Andrew.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Also, Bepa's moonballs.

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:50 AM
Conchi's moonballs :)
good observation. certainly nobody ever talks highly of those... but they work!

Dokicfan17
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
basically..mary PIERCE is underrated lol

i do agree GREATLY that her serves are underrated...i saw her at the open..she has great disguise and great placement as well has pace on both the first and second serve..

and her forehand.i do think it's better than Serena's :)

propi
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Conchita's forehand :worship: most elegant shot in the tour, technically perfect and still effective after so many years :worship:

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Conchita's forehand :worship: most elegant shot in the tour, technically perfect and still effective after so many years :worship:
That is true, it was beautiful in the Family Circle Cup.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:38 PM
Seems like everyone disagreed with me about Dementieva's serve :sad: :fiery: but I see your points I personally think she should change her 1st serve but keep her slice serve has her 2nd serve since most players (my fave included :banghead: ) Can't hit winners off it

butch
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
I actually think Conchita's backhand slice is underrated. I think Steffi was the only person who could hit that shot as effectively.

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Steffi Slice Backhand & serve & topsin backhand & drop shots & lobs & volleys her all around game including her killer forehand & speed were awesome!....also Jen's groundies awesome her volleys & lobs & quickness too......
Go Jenny get well soon!:)

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:21 PM
Steffi Slice Backhand & serve & topsin backhand & drop shots & lobs & volleys her all around game including her killer forehand & speed were awesome!....also Jen's groundies awesome her volleys & lobs & quickness too......
Go Jenny get well soon!:)
read the thread title first please :rolleyes: