PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams Enters Advanta Championships

Chance
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:27 AM
Philadelphia, Sept. 29, 2004 – Venus Williams will join her sister Serena Williams in the field

for the Advanta Championships, Nov. 1-7, at the Pavilion at Villanova University, tournamentofficials announced today. The 4-time Grand Slam singles champion is scheduled to make her first appearance in the Philadelphia area event since 1999. The addition of Venus Williams adds even more prominence to a field that already includes Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati and 2004 U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova. Tickets for the Advanta Championships are

available by calling 866-TENNIS-5 or at the tournament website at

www.advantachampionships.com (http://www.advantachampionships.com/)

Williams is looking forward to her anticipated return to the Advanta Championships. "I’m excited about playing in Philadelphia," she said. "The fans there really appreciate tennis so it’s a great place to play. I’m looking forward to a good week."

The double dose of Williams star power will be a treat for tennis fans as Venus and Serena rarely compete at the same tournaments outside of Grand Slams and select Tier 1 events. The former world No. 1 has struggled with injuries this year but looked strong in her return at the U.S. Open before falling to Lindsay Davenport. Williams, who has won 31 singles titles, impressively won back-to-back U.S. Open and Wimbledon Championships in 2000 and 2001. She also took home two Olympic gold medals from the 2000 Sydney Games, capturing both the singles and doubles titles (with Serena).

The Advanta Championships, in addition to awarding a $585,000 prize fund, is the final opportunity for players to qualify for the season-ending tour championships in Los Angeles the following week. The 2004 Advanta Championships begin on Monday, Nov. 1, with the first round of main draw competition and will end with the finals scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 7. The qualifying tournament runs Oct. 29-31 at the Healthplex Sports Club in Springfield.

thelittlestelf
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
Looking forward to it :yeah:.

Good luck Vee!

CJ07
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:40 AM
I knew something was up when she was practicing that long with the USTA.

Great to hear it Venus

cometz9
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:42 AM
OMG, i'm so happy i hope she will be there, i'm gonna try to see if i can go to PA. Go Venus :hearts: Thanks for the article :yeah:

vs1
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:42 AM
YAY!!! :bounce: :bounce:
My sister lives like REALLY close to Villanova University...I think I'm gonna have to go visit her in November!!! :lol: :lol: :bounce:

Doraemon
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
Nothing is defintie about the Williams sisters till the very last minute.
So better save it till it really happens.

Knizzle
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:46 AM
I hope your campaign ends in November.

cometz9
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:47 AM
I know... i remember she pulled out the last min last year also, so i'm praying that she plays.

Chunchun
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:47 AM
Venus :aparty: :bigclap: :banana:

Good Luck!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:54 AM
let's see if she'll actually play

azmad_88
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:57 AM
KIm get WC here

thelittlestelf
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:00 AM
I hope she plays, I can't think of any reason why she wouldn't atm...

VeNuS#1LoVa
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:01 AM
Great to here, hopefully she'll stick with it and play. :hearts:

aNYthing
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
Lets go Vee :hearts:

Infiniti2001
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:41 AM

what bug you have up your ass? :shrug:You're in every thread concerning the sisters :rolleyes: It's well documented that you don't care for them, so enough already :fiery:

Volcana
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:13 AM
YYYAAAAYYYY!! okay NOW this looks like MAYBE a run at the YEC! And for all of you who say, 'lets see if she plays', life's a WHOLE lot more fun when you let yourself get excited!

It's STILL a long shot, but with Jenn not playing Filderstadt, and Sharapova playing Tier IVs, it's all on Venus' racket.

Knizzle
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:18 AM
I'm afraid that this means that Serena will pull out of Advanta. Get better Serena!!

LucasArg
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:42 AM
What a great news! :bounce:

This also gives Venus another chance to qualify for the YEC!

GO VENUS!!! :wavey:

esquímaux
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Good luck Vee

DUNEMAN
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Lets go Vee :hearts:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :yippee: :yippee: :banana: :singer: OHHHH Happy day, When Venus plays :banana: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :woohoo: :dance: :dance:

SJW
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
I'm afraid that this means that Serena will pull out of Advanta. Get better Serena!!

:confused: is she hurt?

:drool: at the double dose of Williamses.....GO V! :bounce:

SJW
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
never mind i just read the crappy news :mad:

anton
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Bring this title on home Venus!:wavey:

Paneru
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:14 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

First it was, "Venus needs to play Philadelphia",
"Venus is concentrating on School",
"Venus doesn't care about the YEC", ect..

Then, she does enter and suddenly some of the people
get all sarcastic about if she'll show because she didn't
last year, failing to mention that she was still recovering from injury.

You truly can never please 'em all, can you! ;) :lol:

TomTennis
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

First it was, "Venus needs to play Philadelphia",
"Venus is concentrating on School",
"Venus doesn't care about the YEC", ect..

Then, she does enter and suddenly some of the people
get all sarcastic about if she'll show because she didn't
last year, failing to mention that she was still recovering from injury.

You truly can never please 'em all, can you! ;) :lol:

spot on!

treiber04
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
I hope you do realize that just because the Tournament Directors release the Williams Sisters withdraw the day before the tournament that can be very misleading. Sometimes the tournament directors hear withdrawals maybe a week, or two weeks before but don't release the information so they can get more ticket sales.

UDiTY
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Thataway Vee:yeah:

harloo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Knizzle you are not right for this one.:devil:

harloo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
I'm glad Venus has entered. This may be her comeback tournament.:D

vettipooh
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
I hope your campaign ends in November. That shit was funny. Where do you come up with that? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Seriously though, saint seiya is a sourpuss....a devil in disguise.