PDA

View Full Version : I Never Thought it Would Come to this...

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:20 AM
but I don't need this board anymore...and its not just me being busy with uni and stuff...I go through the board and nothing makes me want to post anymore, not even the sex threads! ;) So I'll miss lots of you...too many to count... Bye Guys and thanks for the fun! :D

P.S. I'll still run ETA and play games but for the most part I won't be here anymore...

per4ever
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:26 AM
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will still play WTAT with me isn't? :confused:

Adrian
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Opened, Read, Don't Care, Movin on :wavey:

Hurley
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Adrian...not cool :(

If you didn't have anything productive to say in here, you shouldn't have said anything at all, cos now I'm kinda ticked. :(

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:40 AM
I'm ticked too. I'm ticked at Brian manipulating and interfering with other's people lives. Brian, I know you're lonely and I know you want people to like you, but enough already. Stop telling people what to do and stop being a drama queen. Just because you want the gay guys on this board to lust after you doesn't give you the right to try to manipulate them into doing so.

per4ever
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
scotso, what are you saying??

Brian is just telling the boardmembers that he will stop posting on the normal threads, but that he'll continue his game ETA and play other games. This has nothing to do with being lonely, with gay stuff..what so ever.

Hurley
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Hey, I'm a big boy. No one makes my decisions for me except for me. As you can see, I'm still here, and I ain't going anywhere.

Adrian...I didn't mean to be harsh, but I hope you understand that, regardless of your history, your comments were unnecessary, to say the least.

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Per4ever... I'm talking about Brian telling Hurley who he can and can't talk to. Telling people where they can and can't post.

I'm sick of him acting like everyone belongs to him. I'm sick of his getting mad and leaving when someone talks to someone else instead of him. These are issues I didn't want to address here but as Brian won't respond to me otherwise, so be it.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:46 AM
I never knew so many people hated me...I thought I'd post this thread so that the people that actually cared for me would know that I'm not going to be on the board anymore. Thanks for blocking me Scotso, did you ever think that I was away? I guess not...leaving this board actually seems like an even better decision now. that way I won't have to see you and you won't have to see me.

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:48 AM
I didn't block you, I signed off. I waited 20 minutes and I know you weren't away because you had no idle time.

Don't even attempt to get me to feel sorry for you now because I've been there, done that, and I'm not going to do it again.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM
did you ever think i might have been in the bathroom? i guess you just assumed the worst and seems like you've been harbouring resentment me for a long time...

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Yes I have. After all the shit you've pulled it builds up. But I try to be nice to you and be your friend, but telling people that they can't talk to me? That's unacceptable.

per4ever
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Scotso did you ever talk to Brian? I think he's a really nice guy, I really don't understand what you are saying...

Brian, don't care about the people that don't like you. There are always people like that, that's the way it is in life. Just care about your friends.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:51 AM
never knew Adrian felt that way about me...I was a bit shocked with that response...but oh well...

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:53 AM
I've talked to Brian since last summer. I thought we were friends. But I'm not delusional anymore.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:54 AM
i don't understand the whole logic that I MADE Hurley stop posting in that thread. First of all you made this assumption that I made him stop...I'm not holding a gun to his head...don't understand why you're being so bitchy to me...but thanks for your friendship it was fun while it lasted

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Just the fact that you would suggest someone not talk to me pisses me off. I'm justified in that.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
i don't understand how you could change on me in this one night...just earlier today we were talking about the dani match and now this...

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:56 AM
OMG I NEVER EVER EVER TOLD HURLEY TO STOP TALKING TO YOU!

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:57 AM
The idea of you accusing me just makes me mad cuz maybe all that time we've talked you still don't know me

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Whatever, Brian, I'm done with this now.

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
i'd like to talk things out...when your ready you know how to contact me

Adrian
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:30 AM
I said What I felt Hurley, and yes you were harsh. Brian is the reason I don't go on MSN anymore, the dramas, like this thread, are just a little too much for me.

Linton
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:55 AM
God some people are so sad. cant u talk things out with out all this controevrsey. Scotso u have a pink room with tigger toys.

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:30 PM
:rolleyes: That's my sister's place.

And I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Adrian...for someone complaining about drama, you seem to enjoy it when it benefits you ;)

Daniel
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:12 PM
I dont know why some people are attacking Brian, I have talked to him and he is such a nice person. He is my friend and if he does not to want to post that much on the board I wll respect his decision but I will miss you Brian.

If you want to talk to someone , you know i will be online, I hope we continue being friends

Good luck Brian!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Tennisace
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:02 PM
"Brian is the reason I don't go on MSN anymore" I've talked to you how many times on MSN? I can count them on my hand less than 5. Don't know where this is coming from since I haven't told you anything about my personal life really...I don't understand what I did to you to make you feel this way and treat me this way.

Linton
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:05 PM
But Scotso Uuuuuuu have tigger toys.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:50 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: But Sweetue! What am I going to do without you? I will miss you, but I do understand. I wish you well my friend! God Speed!

Oizo
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Hi Brian :wavey: Are you on Steve´s msn list? I think I know you. Good luck for the future.:wavey:
I dunno what you all are talking about :o :confused:

SM
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:45 AM
hi leo...yup that's the Brian on my list ,i thionk we had a chat ages ago with him :wavey: im kinda confused with all the dramas too...ill join u on the sidelines :angel:

Viva
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:44 AM
God this is petty.

You people don't even really know each other! Sure you chat on here and MSN but you still don't know each other! Jeez, talk about melodramatic.

Anyway, sorry to see you go. Never talked to you before and now I guess I never will. :sad: Too bad eh? I'm quite a wonderul person. Your loss I guess. ;)

Internet Lover
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
I've been like 4 motnhs and this is now the 3rd time Brian has posted this kind of thread and now I'm just like whatever. :rolleyes: I am so agreeing with Scotso about Brian wanting attention and stuff.

Brian I know I don't mean shit to you but I'm so disappointed that we couldn't be friends because I liked you right away. You're smart and funny and a good writer but you're always like totally feelin sorry for yourself. Not all of us could go to Berkeley you know. Not all of us can travel to Australia every year. Not all of us can be a good writer. That's what totally blows when you post crap like this. You're *not* pathetic but you're such acting like it.

I'm also disappointed that you basically cut me off like right after I posted my pic. You yourself told me that you're not a stud so I figured the fact I wasn't much to look at and stuff wouldn't bother you but it did.

Brian good luck this semester! I hope you find the support that you need. You can do it because guess what even a fat guy like me has found some friends and you know what? I've even had sex a few times already this semester. Yeah even me fat pig Pete. :D

My pm index and e-mail is there if you want to vent and what not. If you don't want it then I accept that. But please stop with the pity party! It makes you like so friggin weak!

ASV_FAN
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:06 PM
People, if you dare, open the curtains and take a peek outside at we humans call "the real world." Maybe some of you should get re-acquainted with it and stop living your lives online.

I don't mean to offend anyone but some people take virtual reality wayyyyy to seriously :rolleyes: !

saki
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ASV_FAN
People, if you dare, open the curtains and take a peek outside at we humans call "the real world." Maybe some of you should get re-acquainted with it and stop living your lives online.

I don't mean to offend anyone but some people take virtual reality wayyyyy to seriously :rolleyes: !

Well, quite. Online friendships are fun, but they aren't REAL and shouldn't be taken so seriously. A computer is not the only way to communicate with people although it has its uses.

homage
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:10 PM
jonathan you're still the
same cheeky bugger. :p

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Jon, saki... I'm sorry but your outlook sucks. Online friendships are as real as any... and the fact that you don't care about people online leads me to think you're pretty sad people. In fact, if you don't care, why the fuck do you have a computer?

saki
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Scotso
Jon, saki... I'm sorry but your outlook sucks. Online friendships are as real as any... and the fact that you don't care about people online leads me to think you're pretty sad people. In fact, if you don't care, why the fuck do you have a computer?

No, it's not that I don't care about people online. I do have online friends & I am as polite and nice to them as to my real friends. It's just that what I really like about my online friends (and I think this goes for a lot of people) is that they are less "stressful" to be with than other friends precisely because you can turn a computer off, you can sign off MSN, you have more control over it. So if I want to take a 20 min break from study, I'll come online because that's easier than going to find a "real" friend.

Online friendships are fun for me. I just don't udnerstand how some people get so worked up about them. Yes, I try to be nice online but if someone is rude to me I just brush it off because I have real friends and a real life outside my computer. Does that make me "pretty sad"?

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Yes.

saki
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way. Genuinely sorry, because you come across as a really nice guy in your posts. But the fact is that I don't take online friendships as seriously as ones in real life. Not that I think this gives me a right to be rude, nasty, or malicious to people online, but just that it's not as important to me when someone happens to react badly to me online to real life.

I'm not trying to disparage you or your friendships.

Viva
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:07 PM
No he doesn't!

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:14 PM
No, I mean, Saki is right. I've "told" Brian this multiple times; he is too wrapped up in this world. These people are people, and you should be civil, but they cannot and should not hurt you, and they shouldn't be a substitute for a real, physical, tangible life.

Sure, when I was 18/19 and a bit lonely I too got wrapped up in online chatting and message boards. Let me tell you...I got nothing but burned.

It's always nice to have another perspective to bounce things off of and such, and Lord knows I spend enough time on here when I have many more important things to accomplish, but....I mean...it's just text on a screen. People say things that will anger you, but if you're holding grudges and getting offended and depressed from this...well, you shouldn't, LOL.

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:23 PM
If all people online are is text to you people, then maybe you should go read a book or something instead? I have friends "IRL" that I love, but my friends online are just as meaningful to me.

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:27 PM
I get enjoyment from them, but I refuse to let myself be hurt by them anymore.

I don't KNOW anyone on this board. I read what they type and laugh at their jokes and see their pictures, but that's not what life comes down to.

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Then I reiterate... if this isn't important, why do you bother posting here?

Frankly I think it's crappy that you use people online. "Oh no, I'm lonely... better go online so people will build me up!" "Oh look, someone IRL will pay attention to me finally... BYEBYE online!" "Oh they left me, better turn on the computer again!"

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:35 PM
And Viva... I must say I'm disappointed because I've always been nice to you. I don't know where you're coming from but now that I realize you're a bitch I'll just stop my support for you in your "I screwed up!," etc. threads.

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Scotso, THIS is what I'm talking about, LOL.

You're getting all riled up, when you have no reason or any right to do so. I didn't sleep with your wife, I didn't run over your dog, I didn't sell crack to your son. The only thing I did was type some words which you don't agree with, and may or may not even me being truthful.

I'll tell you, I was very reluctant to even start posting personal things about me here on these boards. I was coming here for scores and that was it. I developed a rapport with a few of you, and no doubt it's fun.

But you're accusing me of using people. I say to you that I've made no effort to even get to know you people in the slightest -- with one exception -- and so, the only way you could feel used by me is if you got yourself wrapped up in a relationship with me on your own.

And here's the rub: after I post this I'm still going to want to post to you and discuss things with you. Just because you're disagreeing with me doesn't mean I'm not gonna stop posting (I also recommend looking past disagreements over stupid stuff in real life as well), and I certainly hope you can understand my position from all of my posts in this thread and not hold a grudge.

I think holding grudges is the most ludicrous thing to do on a message board. The lot of you have all said stuff that have angered me, but I don't care. :p

AjdeNate!
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:50 PM
I think what's getting lost in the translation is to :keep it in perspective:

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:54 PM
I know, Hurley. I still like you as a person I just disagree with you on this. I'm not all riled up, I just want to know the point. With your opinion on the matter, it's hard for me to understand why you would even be debating this with me. It's kind of conflicting, isn't it?

"But you're accusing me of using people. I say to you that I've made no effort to even get to know you people in the slightest -- with one exception"

Doesn't your one exception blow your argument out of the water? You said you don't get close to anyone... but if there's an exception then you can't really say that to begin with :p

saki
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Then I reiterate... if this isn't important, why do you bother posting here?

Frankly I think it's crappy that you use people online. "Oh no, I'm lonely... better go online so people will build me up!" "Oh look, someone IRL will pay attention to me finally... BYEBYE online!" "Oh they left me, better turn on the computer again!"

Hey, you're twisting my words! I have online friends whom I consider to be real friends of mine, and I wouldn't abandon them in the same way that I wouldn't abandon my friends IRL. But, there are posters here who seem to get genuinely het up about other people's opinions and feelings about them when they don't know them particularly well.

If one of my close online friends said or did something really harsh to me, I would be upset. But I wouldn't create a melodramatic thread about it, I'd have it out with them in private over e-mail or msn.

I use the board generally as a way of relaxing, exhanging views with different people (not bits of text, people ) but the opinions of random posters do not have the power to upset me. Why? Because they don't know me, either online or in real life.

I'm tired, and I'm explaining this badly. What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how relatively superficial online relationships can mean so much to people and lead to so much angst. I understand how one can have a close friendship online and get involved in that, but the kind of casual board friendship just isn't worth this much hassle over.

Scotso
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:57 PM
saki. I understand now.

What you just posted and what you posted before are a lot different though. I agree that people you just have glancing relations with shouldn't affect your happiness.

I'm glad that you value all of your friends, not just the ones you can grasp physically.

Viva
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Hey Scotso - Sorry about that. I read a few posts at the start of the thread and I thought they weren't the nicest....but after posting that I regretted it...too late now. I realised that I have said many things that weren't nice and I had no right in posting that. I often jump in too early and I have done tht and hurt people a lot by doing that. (something I'm working on). I'm sorry. (and since when am I a bitch?)

Now that took a lot of effort to say because I never say it to anyone (yeh I know, I'm stubborn) but since you have been nice to me and I do respect you as a poster I thought it needed to be said.

NoI'm getting too mushy and it's making me uncomfortable. :)

Lets also put it down to it being 9:30 at the time and I had just got out of bed.

Hurley
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Scotso, my "one exception" knows where he stands. I'm not going to go into detail about him here, except that I've criticized him in this thread for his perception and our relationship has been similarly criticized for similar reasons. Or something. :D

Why I'm debating with you? I like debate. I like coming here to hear other people's opinions on other things. I have fun in here -- I wouldn't come here if I didn't.

I AM one of those people who HAS turned down social occasions in the real world to stay at home and hang out on the computer....or watch TV, or read alone. I'm not the type of person to party hearty every single night (except last summer, and THAT was an abberation). I have fun here.

But, I dunno...I'm not going to fall in love with anyone here. I'm not going to make a list of my best friends and include posters on it. That's my opinion of the world -- that yes, there are people who can entertain me, and I hope I give enjoyment to them as well, but friendship and love are based upon so much more: experiences, reliance, sharing and generosity, physical contact. You can't get that kind of stuff here.

What we can do is discuss events and make each other laugh and learn things about each other. That's enough for right now, but not in twenty minutes, when I leave to hang out with my friends.

I'm sorry if that's offensive, but I do feel that holds precedence in my life, and should in all people's lives.

Scotso
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Well, I disagree.

And Viva, all is forgotten ;)

Hurley
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:07 AM
At the same time, much as Saki said...I'm going to be supportive of my online friends and try to help them through difficult situations (just ask the exception, LOL), and I wouldn't ever do anything (anywhere) to intentionally hurt anyone.

But...there's a difference.

saki
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:09 AM
saki. I understand now.

What you just posted and what you posted before are a lot different though. I agree that people you just have glancing relations with shouldn't affect your happiness.

I'm glad that you value all of your friends, not just the ones you can grasp physically.

Good good. I don't like being misunderstood ;)

But, yeah, the last post is my "considered opinion". I just get kinda sick of the melodrama around here sometimes & that makes me make sweeping generalisations like "online friendships don't matter" which I don't actually mean.

You can't let yourself get hurt by everyone that you interact with on the internet or you'll just be wasting your time and energy. If you discover a genuine friend here that's different, but it is rare. Perhaps no more rare than in real life, but people seem to make themselves more vulnerable online for some reason.

But I'm tired, and I'm going to go to bed now. Good night!

Jessica02
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Totally agree with Saki.

What Im seeing is insecurity and the games some of you are playing are fit for the playground.

I havent interacted with many of you guys but i have read your posts and your all fantastic people. I hope you sort your differences out and be friends again. :D

Take Care

Viva
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:11 AM
I'm glad. :kiss: :)

SM
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Just another 2 cents from me..you guys are getting too worked up with things, i mean someone's online persona often differs quite a bit to them in the real world , ive met quie a few , tennisace being one of them..and he's a good all round guy

I don't think he should be hung , drawn and quartered for simply posting a few threads you guys dont agree with either...let him be , its his choice if he chooses to refrain from posting

also,online friendships are important to me because i reveal to them another face of my personality which my 'real' friends dont get to see...you can be more open to them because essentially they are 'text'!

Oizo
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:44 AM
:wavey: @ Steve.
:wavey: @ Brian, if he ever shows up again... :rolleyes:
:wavey:@ Scott

Internet Lover
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Well Brian? Are you going to say anything? You got your attention! :p

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:37 PM
I agree with Scotso, about how much online friends can mean to you.

There are so many people here and online that i have truely connected with, and there are some people online that i would say are closer to me than some of my friends offline.

and to the people who say they are not true etc... you are all wrong. They are true. They mean alot and i for one am proud i talk to the people cause they are really fantastic.:)

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
to me it shows that she cares about her friends. nothing scary about it. if it was her real life friend she would do the same, not want to go.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:08 PM
You both are right, Kisha and Gee. Online friends can be as good, or even better than 'real-life' friends, but Beige also has a point there... It is scary when you can't be away from a person, doesn't matter whether if its online or offline. But the thing about your niece... Wow! It's one thing to love your friends, but other things are important too. I can't imagine that she actually spent the days in Hawaii in a I/Net café... :sad:
I'm not used to chat online, and my intention to come to this board at the first was to talk about tennis etc. but I've met many nice ppl who I can call friends. Don't get me wrong guys, I love you, but I must say that if I had the chance to go to Hawaii (or somewhere else, to experience something new) I wouldn't hesitate to leave the board and my friends for a couple of days. OMG.. this sounds so harsh, but you know what I mean.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:26 PM
:) bro! She's still young... when she gets older, she'll know that the things she must do wont be 'letting her friends down'. *sigh* Last time I was that 'silly' was acutally last summer... I'm so dissapoited in myself. I had just been on this study-tour, and met some incredible friends, I love them to death, and we are still keeping in touch.. lol, I'll get to the point now. I had just spent EVERY hour with them for 21 days, and I just couldn't leave them. We got 'separated' Aug. 17th, and I was leaving Taiwan the 21st. So I had to spend time with my family, I love them. But at that time, all I wanted to do was being with those friends. My relatives got sad and I didn't realise that... I cousin sat down with me and talked to me... she wasn't yelling at me or something, but just explaining things for me... I still have bad concience.... :sad: If I had the chance to do that again, I'd definetly chose my fam...

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Another great post bro! :) What???!!! You don't believe I look like this :angel: ????? :p lol! ;) :kiss:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:08 PM
*blushes* lmao bro! :kiss: Thank you, and thanks for the PM too! :)

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Kisha, are you serious? So does this mean that if you had a choice between going out and posting on the board, you'd choose posting on the board? Please say it isn't so.

i didnt say that, but i dont think you fully understand what i am saying. I have made some really great friends on the board and in some cases closer than family and i enjoy talking to them. However i didnt say that i would stay at home 24/7 to see them.

both you and Marri make it sound wrong to like spending time with friends on the internet.

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:31 PM
hey gee, nope, i didnt see that! Sorry.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Ohhh... I'm sorry girl... my posts weren't supposed to sound aggressive :(
I didn't mean to say that spending time with friends on the I/Net is wrong, you should now that!!! :) :kiss:

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:09 PM
lol, no dont worry, it's just the way i interpurited (god, i tried spelling that 400 times) it! its cool! sorry.!:kiss:

Kisha
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:13 PM
*high 5*

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:18 PM
*group hug* :kiss:

homage
Apr 26th, 2002, 09:06 PM
pfff@brian. :p :kiss:

deftman
Apr 27th, 2002, 01:57 AM
In person you can see people's eyes and hear their voice and watch their expressions and I'm sorry but emoticons do NOT capture these little nuances that make up each individual.

I disagree on that point.From my personal experience , I think words and emoticons do a fairly good job expressing ideas and capturing nuances even ,on MSN and chat.

I think the reason why such problems are faced is beacause making (and breaking ) friendships on the interent is too convenient. You could develop a thick friendship on the internet ,however in rough times it's pretty easy to dump the friendship.If you have a fight between your friend on MSN ,you swear and abuse him ,and block him,and well ,that's the end of it.
Like due to a misunderstanding between Scotso and Viva,Scott called Viva a bitch and broke his friendship with her.
Whereas in real life ,he or anyone of us as a matter of fact would be hesitant to do so. In real life ,you have to put up with some acting ,and be nice to a people even you hate,and that comes in handy in many friendships.
In online friendship ,you wouldnt hesitate freaking out on a person ,because U know that he lives in a different part of the world,doesnt know your name , or rarther has no clue about your identity , he just knows your personality,and you dont have to worry about saving your face in public.

If someone asked me about having an online friendship relationship ,I would probably say ok,provided you understand and accept the fickle nature of online relationships,and make the choice of allowing your real life relations to take a back seat( which is to say that you didnt have any real life relationships or simply utterly dislike the people around you)

So what usually happens is that my niece has to fill in the blanks (read: create partially what she thinks her online friend is like) and as we all know, our minds can play tricks on us.

I think the most people turn to the net ,for soulmates and not dates.Which means to say you dont care about the identity of a person and are just interested in his/her personality.
So I dont think your niece would specifically care if her friend is gay,transsexual ,16 or 85. She just needs a person to speak to during tough times.
As for the Hawaii incident , observing closely it seemed to me ,that it was the basically the thrill of working with her online friends and collecting and designing gifs to present a beautiful thread ,that attracted her ,more than 'letting down her friend' ,whatever that means ,which she would have presented as an excuse to her parents.
It's basically a tough thing to do when you plunge into a full time internet relationship or friendship as it does quite adversely affect your real life relationships.
Maybe it's upto to the parents and wives to stop their children and husbands ,from even accessing the internet or chat room or not.Maybe it's not.
It's like man agreeing to allow his wife to flirt with other men all day long ,only to find one day that his wife has dumped the marriage.
It's a matter of personal opinion really,.....

Gonzo Hates Me!
Apr 27th, 2002, 02:21 AM
I think this is an incredible subject! Well, until I read Beige's and Kisha's posts, I felt like Hurley, like, you shouldn't be so into your online friends. But from Kisha's perspective and the feelings of Beige's niece, I realize no matter how much I think being too in love with the internet is stupid to me, personally, IMO, it's really important to other people. And maybe I don't work that way, but others do. It's like as much as I abhor potatoes, many people absolutely love it. Are we talking about the same potatoes here?! LOL! I think if your on-line friends are really that important to you, then that's your personal attraction! I would definitely rather hang-out with my homeys than be stuck on a Friday night chatting, like I am doing now! LOL! But hey, that's just me

Kisha
Apr 27th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Mrs_Guga - i totally understand what your sayin, but i dont think you understand what i mean.

I really value many people online. They have been a god send through tough issue's in my life and have helped me lots. Each and everyone of them mean something to me and i value their opinions and like seeing their views, however i never said that i would stay in on a Friday night just to chat online. Thats not me, but if its some people then surely we shouldn't be telling them their friends and lifelines are all not true.

Only a person themselves can actually feel and know what another person online means to them.

everyone has different views, and like Scotso said, if people dont want to interact with people why do they bother posting.

i'm not making alot of sence but what i'm trying to say his

a) i value people online, they mean alot and just because i havent spoken to them or havent seen them in real life doesnt mean that they are important to me.

Yes, i understand that people will say, but they could be lying etc... but correct me if i am wrong, but do people 'IRL' not lie aswell?

b) i dont stay at home specially to chat

c) even if i did then people should be able to respect that and not say i'm stupid etc... to take people online seriously. What if your soulmate is out there? (this is directed at everyone) what if you found someone who just gets you? is it wrong to want to talk to them?

SM
Apr 27th, 2002, 05:29 PM
or u can chuck an SM and come here in the early hours of the morning all seedy..then hop on the net and chat to people incredulous to the fact im even awake;) let alone chatting...hehehe...now that is beyond addiction !

but anyway back to this topic..no i dont think anything matches the real thing..and it shouldnt...but internet people do help in passing time, sharing experiences and having some 'fun' but i dont find that on a very personal and deep level....and until the internet becomes alot more virtual with a big change in technology i dont think that would change ;) ! having said that its always possible that one day down the track ull get to meet them even if its years later and thats always an interesting experience to say theleast :):)