PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated shot in tennis?

Linzi
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
It would have to be Capriati's forehand, boy she can't even hit a winner of Elena Demented's serve :eek:

I also think that Mauresmo's backhand is very overrated.

Evelyn Tremble
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM
The serve. Elena Dementieva has reached two slams this year without one. Totally overrated.
Mind you most players can’t serve.

eddy
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Most one-handed backhands, Justine is constantly praised for hers while her forehand is the much more consistent and stronger shot, Amelie as well

bandabou
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah...Capriati´s forehand....a killer shot has to be a shot that produces winners and Capriati just isn´t a player who goes for winners.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:05 PM
That is,Capriati isn't a player who goes for winners ANYMORE. At least not as much as she used to do. And I am sure that this is the main reason why she didn't beat Elena in the semis of the US Open. She should have treated those terrible Dementieva serves with the contempt they deserve. Go for a winner on (well,nearly) each one of them. Even if she missed some returns it would have put even more pressure on Elena,which probably would have resulted in more double faults. Jen did 100% her best as always,but being the fan that I am I was very frustrated that she didn't have a go at those serves.....................Why Jenny,WHY???? :banghead: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Yeah...Capriati´s forehand....a killer shot has to be a shot that produces winners and Capriati just isn´t a player who goes for winners.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:09 PM
i think its amelie's backhand as well. it goes all loopy under pressure. thats the difference with justine. when things get tight,(read, forehand making too many errors) the backhand is very reliable. amelie's backhand can be such a weapon when she wants but she slices and loops waaaay too much. i mean, i've seen some of the approach shots she's hit with that backhand and they were like whoa!

crazillo
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
Maybe Venus serve.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM
I think the most is Smashes... because the dead balls are better!

Chrissie-fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM
Yep. Only the second serve though. The first one is great.

Maybe Venus serve.

bandabou
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:33 PM
That is,Capriati isn't a player who goes for winners ANYMORE. At least not as much as she used to do. And I am sure that this is the main reason why she didn't beat Elena in the semis of the US Open. She should have treated those terrible Dementieva serves with the contempt they deserve. Go for a winner on (well,nearly) each one of them. Even if she missed some returns it would have put even more pressure on Elena,which probably would have resulted in more double faults. Jen did 100% her best as always,but being the fan that I am I was very frustrated that she didn't have a go at those serves.....................Why Jenny,WHY???? :banghead: :sobbing: :sobbing:

You said it....

Frank
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM
You said it.... I think he needs to read that post of yours...:lol:

alfajeffster
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Most one-handed backhands, Justine is constantly praised for hers while her forehand is the much more consistent and stronger shot, Amelie as wellIt's a crying shame that the lazy, manipulative patriarchal tennis powers that be would rather suppress teaching the one-handed backhand to women than take the time to instruct one of the simplest, most compact and solid strokes in the game of tennis. Repeat the following in your best blonde bouncy bimbo voice: "Oooo- it's to hard for me to hit! I need two hands!" Some day the girls will learn, but until then, just keep churning out those two-fisted variations on the chrissie clone era (nothing against Chrissie daze, but the clones are getting pathetic), humping and humping and humping, all for the enjoyment of men.

callado
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Henin's backhand by far.....

Dave B
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
It's a crying shame that the lazy, manipulative patriarchal tennis powers that be would rather suppress teaching the one-handed backhand to women than take the time to instruct one of the simplest, most compact and solid strokes in the game of tennis. Repeat the following in your best blonde bouncy bimbo voice: "Oooo- it's to hard for me to hit! I need two hands!" Some day the girls will learn, but until then, just keep churning out those two-fisted variations on the chrissie clone era (nothing against Chrissie daze, but the clones are getting pathetic), humping and humping and humping, all for the enjoyment of men.

I am confused by this.

alfajeffster
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:42 PM
I am confused by this.
Compare the number of great male players over the past 20 years (1984-2004)with two-handed backhands to the number of great male players during that same time frame with one-handed backhands. Now do the same with women's tennis for the exact same time frame. We could go back much farther than that, but most people here won't have a clue so let's just keep it simple.

Any clearer, or am I missing the source of your confusion?

bandabou
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
I think he needs to read that post of yours...:lol:

For real....:lol: Girl already made $ 250.000 in that loss!

Frank
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:54 PM
For real....:lol: Girl already made $ 250.000 in that loss! I'd love to get my ass kicked for $ 250.000! :lol:

Rtael
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:56 PM
Swing volley. Yuckkkkkk.

vogus
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:00 PM
jeffster you are such a hater against the two-handed backhand. Like it or not, that's just modern tennis. The 2-hander is a better shot than the one-hander, period, for most players.

most overrated: Mauresmo's 1-handed bh. Henin's is overrated as well, her forehand is her better side.

bandabou
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:04 PM
I'd love to get my ass kicked for $ 250.000! :lol:

Not me....only $ 1.000.000 would do. :lol:

thelittlestelf
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:40 PM
Justine's backhand. It's a great shot, but I think Venus, Lindsay, and Serena have better ones.

Volcana
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM
The drop shot.

a) No one gets to net enough to use it often.

b) A LOT of players are good enough athletes to reach it.

If there's one shot you can drop from a players repetoire and they'll still win, it's the drop shot.

Kart
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM
Steffi Graf's slice backhand.

azmad_88
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Justine's backhand

Andy.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
Definalty Justines backhand, not what it used to be. And on the point of Jennifer why has she changed her game she used to power her shots and go for power and winners all the time, now she has got rid of the power and just rallies.

Dave B
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:15 AM
Compare the number of great male players over the past 20 years (1984-2004)with two-handed backhands to the number of great male players during that same time frame with one-handed backhands. Now do the same with women's tennis for the exact same time frame. We could go back much farther than that, but most people here won't have a clue so let's just keep it simple.

Any clearer, or am I missing the source of your confusion?

O I get it! I just thought you had this extreme hate of two handed backhands and I was like... :cuckoo:

But I never thought of it from the Feminist perspective (or whatever you want to call it). Sorry, I am a bit dense :retard:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:16 AM
The lob. Reminds me too much of moonballing. :rolleyes:

baleineau
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:29 AM
nadia petrova's forehand. in the 5 or 6 matches i've seen her play in, the forehand was not that impressive at all.

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:38 AM
:lol:

The usual anti JHH suspects ragging on her sublime backhand!
It's not overated- she won the Olympics mainly on her 1 hander.
Oh- right alot of you didn't see it or it wasn't aired in your area.

The most overated shot is the SWING VOLLEY. When Natasha
Zvereva use to do it in the late 1990's- it was mainly considered
a half ass volley. Something to do because you're not in position
to do a real clean volley. It was mainly used by 2 handers when caught
in no man's land near the front of the court, unable to react quick
enough to do anything; but sort of deflect it back.

It's an ugly shot, and is and never meant to be anything special or great.
Don't know why they rave about it now?

The most underated shot and most difficult is by far the one
that the Capster has always had and, Roger, Justine
and Kim use that was made famous by Steff-

the INSIDE OUT FOREHAND!

UDiTY
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Justine's backhand sometimes takes a little while to warm up, but it is in no way overrated. It's rated just fine:yeah:

I agree on Amelie's backhand and Jennifer's forehand....I can't think of any others.

:p

vogus
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:38 AM
:lol:

The usual anti JHH suspects ragging on her sublime backhand!
It's not overated- she won the Olympics mainly on her 1 hander.
Oh- right alot of you didn't see it or it wasn't aired in your area.

I wasnt ragging on Justine's backhand, i just said i think her forehand is better, while it's her backhand that gets all the oohs and aahs from the so called "experts" (Mary Carillo and co.). Obviously Justine's bh is the best one-hander in the business.

Shenanigans
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:44 AM
jeffster you are such a hater against the two-handed backhand. Like it or not, that's just modern tennis. The 2-hander is a better shot than the one-hander, period, for most players.

most overrated: Mauresmo's 1-handed bh. Henin's is overrated as well, her forehand is her better side.

Those one handed back hands that you dislike so much got Gold, Silver and bronze at the Olympics, they are only overated in the sense that they may not be the players best shot, but when Justine or Momo hit a backhand winner it is just so beautiful watch.

SzavayFi
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Amelies backhand or Venusus 2nd Serve.

Mr_Molik
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:36 AM
jennifers game in general- no offence to her fans, its just gona all scrappy.

Knizzle
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:14 AM
Yep. Only the second serve though. The first one is great.
How is her second serve "overrated" it's the most criticized second serve in women's tennis.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Yep,I guess you are right :angel:

How is her second serve "overrated" it's the most criticized second serve in women's tennis.

Doraemon
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Monica Seles' return.

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Monica Seles' return.

Monica Seles' return is the BEST in women's tennis history. She was the one who started it all and the Seles breed of great players followed. :angel:

Jeff
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Netcord...

DevilishAttitude
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Serena's 2nd serve :shrug: :confused: :scratch: her 1st serve is the best in tennis but her 2nd serve at the Wimbledon final wasn't very quick and kept going straight to Sharapova's hitting zone

CJ07
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I actually tend to think that Venus's second serve is underrated.

Try thinking of 5 women's second serves are CLEARLY better than Venus's when she hits it half way decent.

It's just such a difference from her first. (This is based upon her second serve of late)