PDA

View Full Version : All the excuses in the world

Adrian
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Will not change the fact that Martina is playing better Tennis this year, not the best she can, but certainly a step above last year.

She has a better win/Loss record then any other player this year. She has played the same amount of tournaments as Last weeks Number 1, Venus. 17-2 for Venus over 5 Tournaments, 21-2 for Martina, with a match to be stilled played. Jennifer has a first round loss in a tier 2, Grandslam, final of a tier 2. Venus has a Tier 3, Quarter final at the Aus, tier 2 win, tier 2 win, semi-final loss at a tier 2.

Martina has a Tier 2 win, Grandslam final, Tier 1 win, Tier 2 Semi-Final and a final in a tier 1 yet to be decided.

Martina and Jennifer are definately the players of the year so far, with Monica and Venus disputing number 3

louisa2k2
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
hey thanx for posting this Adrian. thats really interesting i had thought that Martina was doing better this year but just didnt have all the info to be sure.

Thanx, its cool!

louisa

smygelfh
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:54 AM
The results are irrelevant.

What I'm happy about is that she's actually PLAYING better. She's not entering the court with a 'I hope my opponent will miss enough for me to win, I'll stay 3 meters behind the baseline as watch' suicide attitude as she did most of last year.

moby
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:03 AM
and smart scheduling too :D

venus just showed us in dubai what marti was doing wrong last year... and even before...

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Great stats work!

Now all Hingis has to do is to figure out how to beat VENUS, SERENA or Capriati in a match and possibly all three of them in a row and she will have this Grand Slam drought of hers licked for sure. :rolleyes:

destructo_girl
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Aw come on Tee. You're such a party pooper. :p ;) :)

I agree with what smygelfh and easy have said.

I'm glad Martina is playing her game, instead of letting her opponents play theirs, and hoping for the best.

And Martina's scheduling does seem to be working better for her than it was last year. I hope she keeps this up.

Adrian
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Well we Know tee has to whinge and whine about someting, after all the facts are clear, Venus ain't in Martina's or Jennifer's league this year. It is terrible to admit that your favorite is being outperformed by Jen and Martina isn't it Dinosaur ;)

tennisfun
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Martina and Jennifer's league?
Did you eat too much beans?

louisa2k2
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:44 PM
hey. i think it is cool that martina is playing better and she said in an interview she was looking to improve her second serve - ie.89mph ace. its cool. come on marti win this title!

saki
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Yes, Martina does seem to playing much better this year than last. But I wouldn't get too excited about it yet, as she hasn't beaten Venus, Serena, Jen or Lindsay. To be fair, the only one she's played is Jen & she had matchpoints. But that in many ways is my point: she hasn't really been tested this year except against Jen when she came up short. Wait and see is my view on Marti this year. :)

Pureracket
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Martina's better playing is probably due to her scheduling. Though there are some things in all of the interviews that I agree with when it comes to the players, I do think that Hingis feels she can make a much stronger showing this year. I was more than impressed in her match against Monica last night.

harloo
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Noone is basically the player of the year so far. Martina hasn't really been tested yet so far. She was tested at the AO final but that's all, which I felt she was playing very well and should of won. But she hasn't beaten the top player's that are the creme of the crop. She was playing good against Monica, adding more to her serve and trying to come in. We will have to wait and see if she can beat Jen, Venus, Serena, Lindsay this year. It will be interesting with all the new booties like Dani mixing it up. I wonder if Daniela can take her down tommorow. I would say probably no from the way she played against Monica, but Dani looks pretty solid to me and is a threat to the Swiss Miss, so who knows.;)

treufreund
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Really Martina was injured in the fall and has done well being in the finals of four out of five tournaments. No other player has done that this year. Venus is three for five in getting to the finals (mostly smaller tournaments). Jenn is two for three and Serena is 1 out of 2 tournaments. Martina is no longer number one but is leading by far in the points race this year. She has nothing to prove and the onus is not on her to win. Jennifer and Venus are ranked higher so now they are the ones who have to win.

Pureracket
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Harloo,
I think Martina has indeed been tested this year. She's been tested by Monica, Jennifer, and Serena.

Martian Martin
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:35 AM
There's no doubt that Martina has been the player of the year so far, with winning so matches and also coming off such a bad injury. You can't forget as well how she played for most of last year, which was poor by her own high standards. The scheduling has been very very smart as well.

I don't how anyone can say Martina hasn't been tested, people aren't saying how Venus hasn't exactly played the top level of players this year are they?. The only top player that Venus has played, she lost to, and that was Monica, who Martina has beaten 3 times this year. Yes Martina has lost to Jennifer and Serena, but both were 3 set matches, and everyone knows that Martina should have beaten Jennifer and was so close to doing it.
Whatever way you look at facts, Martina has been the player of 2002 so far.

Pureracket
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Martin,
I'm not disputing the "Hingis-is-the-best-in-the-world" this year crap, but I'm not sure that your analogy for the last paragraph is exactly logical.

Rollo
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Treufreund-while Adrian is right about Martina playing better than last year-"the onus" IS one her til she wins another slam. No amount of stats can cover that up. IF she wins a slam then her consistency in all the other events is bound to be better than Jen or Venus. At least Marti is cutting back on events this year, thank god. It took an injury to do it, but maybe she's learned at last in that department.

France will prove to be interesting indeed.

moby
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by clocker
Martin,
I'm not disputing the "Hingis-is-the-best-in-the-world" this year crap, but I'm not sure that your analogy for the last paragraph is exactly logical.

by calling it crap, arent you disputing it??? :rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:23 PM
You fans may think Hingis is the best this year, but Martina did say herself that Venus and Jennifer are the best in the world in an interview... so there :D :bounce:

But I think Martina is definitely playing very well this year, so we'll have some good competition this year :D

TeeRexx
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:47 PM
How can one be the "best" on the tour when three players have been beating her all year long? :confused:

Oh well, such is life. :cool:

Aloysius
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Surely it's not time for her review already. The year has only just begun. There's still lots of tennis to be played yet. Let's not jump the gun.

moby
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:56 PM
marti is certainly the best player this year (2002)

but not for the past 52 weeks
that's our point

SerenasMelons
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Yes. I think Martina is one of the best players on tour this year. But there's no certainty that she is THE BEST. Her two losses are to the same two people that have given her trouble in the past, Jennifer and Serena. Her only big wins over top players have come over Kim Clijsters @ adidas, and Monica these three times they've played, though I don't know if that means much, because she has a huge advantage in head to head over Monica.

In the future, I am positive that Martina has a really good chance of defeating the Capriatis and Williamses, but for now, I'm not going to go out and say she is the absolute best player on the tour just yet.

Pureracket
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Easy,
You're probably right.

moon
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:14 AM
what was that about Martina being the best?? :rolleyes:
Tell that to Daniela Hantuchova.

TeeRexx
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Moon, you've done it again. ;) :wavey:

LucasArg
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:25 AM
When Martina beats the top player, I will congrats her:kiss:

Amanda
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Adrian after yesterdays match------------------>:eek:

Sorry, Adrian:sad:

louisa2k2
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
so far this year in terms of how a player is playing consistently i dont think that there is one player who is the best.
serena's hardly played becuase of injury.
Jenifer has won a gs but lost to stevenson
Venus has got to the 1/4s of a gs and won titles but lost to testud
Hingis has got to a final of a gs and won a tier 1 but lost to hantuchova.
obv this aint all the facts but im glad that womens tennis is getting more competitve, there should be many interesting matches. there have been a few 'upsets' already this year.

GrandSlammed
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:54 PM
..... Anybody seen Adrian???

Wonder why we haven't heard from him...:cool:

thefreedesigner
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:49 PM
You guys can be really mean. Teehee... :o :p

TeeRexx
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:53 PM
I guess Dani is the "best" player now, eh? :eek: :p
This thread title really seems to fit doesn't it, folks? :p :wavey:

Nimi
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Jennifer has been by far the best player of 2002, 3 tournys entered this year (the lowest number in the top 50 of the race), & is @ #3!

this topic is nonesense