View Full Version : Tournament Equivalences

Volcana
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
T5 win = T4 final = T3 semi = T2 quarter = T1 round-of-16 = GS 3r
T4 win = T3 final = T2 semi = T1 quarter = GS round-of-16
T3 win = T2 final = T1 semi = GS quarter
T2 win = T1 final = GS semi
T1 win = GS final

Is that about right? Not in terms of points, of in terms of prestige and/or level of difficulty?

Of course, this varies by tournament. Sydney, a Tier II usually has a tougher field than Toray Pan Pacific, a Tier I. I just mean 'on average'.

Helen Lawson
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
I think it depends on the Tier I. Indian Wells, maybe not as much, and Miami win might be up there with a Slam final, or even better. I think most other Tier I wins, not as good as a slam final, not even close.

It's easy in Hollywood, you're either an Oscar Winner, an Oscar Nominee, an Oscar Presentor, or a Nobody, nothing else matters.

Dave B
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
T5 win = T4 final = T3 semi = T2 quarter = T1 round-of-16 = GS 3r
T4 win = T3 final = T2 semi = T1 quarter = GS round-of-16
T3 win = T2 final = T1 semi = GS quarter
T2 win = T1 final = GS semi
T1 win = GS final

Is that about right? Not in terms of points, of in terms of prestige and/or level of difficulty?

Of course, this varies by tournament. Sydney, a Tier II usually has a tougher field than Toray Pan Pacific, a Tier I. I just mean 'on average'.

Wow, thats an awesome way to think about it! I think generally you got it on the ball (besides what you already mentioned about there being stronger Teir 2's and weaker Tier 1's). The only think is that I am not sure there is really much of a difference b/t a Teir 4 and a Tier 5. The lower Tiers sorta mush together. Also, there is just such a drop off after Tier 2 in terms of quality....with a few exceptions like Hasselt.

Andrew.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM
I agree about the Tier IV and V meshing. Soon there won't even be Tier V's anymore...

jonny84
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:59 PM
It really is all gravy.

Some Tier I's are very strong (often Rome and Berlin) - but others are weak (Pan Pacific Open)

Tier II's like Filderstadt has one of the stongest fields of any tournament other than a Grand Slam when the qualifying tournament is akin to a Tier III.

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:05 AM
The equivalence is nothing but estimated. But it kinda works out inthe real world. WInning a GS title is the top of the heap. But below that, show had a more PRESTIGIOUS year? Serena WIlliams or Elena Dementieva? And for all her winning, is Lindsay Davenport's year REALLY as good as a slam winner's?

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:07 AM
its different for every tournament but a Tier IV title has never meant as much as a Tier II SF

Pengwin
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Winning a tier 2 does NOT equate to a grand slam semi-final.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
All of which is why those people who make a point about how Anna never won a WTA singles title are idiots. Anna was a disappointment relative to her talent, but she could have won any number of low tier titles if that had been her game plan.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Yep....and thatīs why the jury is still out on Maria...she had a brilliant two week run at Wimbledon, but on the average has just been tier III material at best.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Yes, that's a reasonable comment, I suppose, but I think that Masha and her people have been smart in snapping up some low-tier titles for her early in her career so at last she can't ever be crucified by the media the way Anna always is. In retrospect, Anna would have been better off getting some low-tier titles under her belt before she started playing nothing but high-tier tournaments.

The Wimbleton win for Masha was something that came totally out of left field and which Masha ... and Yuri, and everyone around them .... must still be adjusting to. Good for her, though.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Yes, that's a reasonable comment, I suppose, but I think that Masha and her people have been smart in snapping up some low-tier titles for her early in her career so at last she can't ever be crucified by the media the way Anna always is. In retrospect, Anna would have been better off getting some low-tier titles under her belt before she started playing nothing but high-tier tournaments.

The Wimbleton win for Masha was something that came totally out of left field and which Masha ... and Yuri, and everyone around them .... must still be adjusting to. Good for her, though.

Uhum, very smart....they knew she wasnīt a Hingis or Serena who could just start winning big titles from the start. Wise move.

hingis-seles
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Uhum, very smart....they knew she wasnīt a Hingis or Serena who could just start winning big titles from the start. Wise move.
And if she's lucky she won't end up being a walking M.A.S.H unit like them, either.