PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Slam?

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:19 AM
If you have to put them in order 1th to 4th place.

Mine are

1- Wimbledon
2- U S Open
3- Roland Garros
4- Australian Open

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:59 AM
anyone?????

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:12 AM
1. US OPEN -- There's a huge build-up to this tournament, and the New York crowds are the best. The players are normally into full gear by the time of the US Open.

2. Wimbledon -- Its tradition and ambiance is incomparable.

3. Aussie Open -- It's a fun tournament, and we get a lot of TV coverage ;) ;)

4. French Open - The matches can get boring coz they're so long, and I don't like tennis on clay...And we don't get any TV coverage(can't believe it!) until the SF :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:20 AM
1 - French
2 - US
3 - Wimbledon
4 - Aussie

I love matches on clay. The Aussie is only #4 because I get less coverage of that than Indian Wells. I don't like tennis on grass but we get like 12 hours a day of Wimbledon coverage... and we also get good coverage of the US open and I love the night matches.

marshmellow
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:22 AM
it'll have to be wimbledon....the grass...and the white clothes....i love the tradition...even though when it rains the schedules goes crazy....

next is the US open...the crowd Is great....and i love fast courts...

but Rg has to come before the aussie open...cos the heat is just nuts....

venusrocks
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:56 AM
WOW! same with the first one. :D

tennisvideos
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:03 AM
I split my choices into Mens and Womens for obvious reasons:

Men:
US Open - always exciting matches plus the surface is great for a mix of rallies and aggressive tennis
Aussie Open - Lots of upsets so at least it's interesting
Wimbledon - Too many short one shot points although the Agassi v Rafter matches recently have been classics.
Roland Garros - too many loopy boring baseline rallies

Women:
Roland Garros - always brings out the best in the women. so many classic finals.
Wimbledon - the tradition, and at least the women can rally on grass
US Open - great tournament and a tough one to win
Aussie Open - we need some 3 set excitment packed finals to raise the profile

kfh_9118
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:22 AM
My preference:

1st: Wimbledon, cz I like the grass court and white shirts every players wear. Also its prestige.

2nd: Aus Open, cz I have the opportunity to see live tennis at Melbourne Park. Since it plays at beginning of the year, less injury, and more good players.

3rd: US Open, cz my last choice is French Open :D

4th: French Open, I never like seeing matched on clay court, too slow, and the court is full of ball and footstep signs. Also, I hate seeing the umpire getting off the chair all the time.

Jeff
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:06 AM
1. Wimbledon: because it is the most prestigous Grand Slam, and because I love the grass. Also TNT covers Wimbledon like 12 hours a day, so get to see a lot of matches. Hope they do it again this year.

2. U.S. Open - For one, because it is in the U.S. and I get to see more matches on T.V. live. Also, because this is the last Slam of the year and everyone wants to win and is in peak form.

3. French Open - I'm a fan of al Grand Slams; always the time of year when I am the happiest :) But, this tournament is only ranked above Australian Open, because for 1) ESPN doesn't have the rights to it and 2) Players are in better form than at the Australian, which makes for better matches and usually a better turnout of players

4. Australian Open - Especially after this year. I can only think of one of my favorite players that do well here and that is Martina Hingis; however recent memories of her result here lead me to dislike this tournament more. Along with the fact that Venus developed injury, Serena withdrew, Agassi withdrew, Lindsay withdrew and Jelena didn't play. Oh...and did I mention ESPN's coverage sucks!!!

Nikki
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:54 AM
1.Wimbledon
2.Australian Open
3.US Open
4.French Open

louisa2k2
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:35 AM
here are mine

1.austrailian
2.French
3.US open
4.Wimbledon - way to much henman hype!

irma
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
wimbledon because it comes close after roland garros so when my fav doesn`t well there I can always hope on that tournament:D
roland garros(because of the great coverage on tv)
australian open
us open

Kart
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
I like Oz open least because of the time zones :(.

Wimbledon and US open I always enjoy, but the French has tended to produce the most exciting finals over the years.

Mattographer
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:36 AM
1. Roland Garros! Lots of great rallies! :D Marky Mark, we have 8 hours coverage on Foxtel! :p But GREAT NEWS... on the first day of April, Foxtel and Optus (I have this cable) agreed that swap some channels INCLUDING Fox Sport (Roland Garros on this channel!) moving to Optus! :D :D :D That means, I won't coming to my grandma's place who has Foxtel for every night during the tournament! :o LOL!

2. Wimbledon - I just love Grass! :o Most matches were brillant such as tight matches like 8-6 in the final sets especially men's! ;)

3. US Open - Lots of great matches and enjoyable! :) I love New York!! :p

4. Australian Open - PFFF! They must not ready for first Grand Slam of year cause it playing in January! :o

Elizajoey
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:40 AM
I remember this was a really hard decision because my order is different depending whether it's the tournaments I like to watch or the ones I'd like to visit:

1/ FRENCH OPEN- over here in Oz we don't have a huge amount of clay courts and i've only played on it once so I find the french really interesting to watch and it's the next grand slam i really wanna see..... I also love how the finals are so damn interesting each year.... I remember at 2am last yr yelling and having a coronary while watching the womens match!!! It was heart tugging stuff!!

2/ AUSSIE OPEN- Okay so i guess i'm a bit bias!! But I love the atmosphere at this slam and hows it's in my homeland.... It's a really great tournament because you can be walking around Melbourne and you see a tennis player and such.... I think the surface is excellent probably because I was brought up on this surface and I adore the bounce of the ball and how it really suits any type of player.... I also think the weather is another factor, it's nice and warm which i love and it's during school holidays ;);)

3/ US OPEN- I put this third because I dislike the stadium, i know it sounds really stupid but it's true!!! It annoys the hell out of me and I also really dislike the tournament and how the american media makes it out like it's the prominent grand slam like its the grandest of them all...

4/ WIMBLEDON- I can not stand this tournament because of all the disgusting and sexist traditions!!! The whole thing of ladies- I HATE THAT WORD!!! The whole tournament is too traditioning, like the stupid thing of the women having to "curtsy" for the royal box ::rollseyes::

tfannis
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:43 AM
1.The French...love tennis on clay
2.Wimbledon...tradition and full TV coverage on BBC; a bad coverage because it's all about Tiny Tim, but still a FULL coverage
3.The Australian...beginning of the year...it's great to see some tennis again after the break
4.USO...we don't get much to see of that here in Belgium...and last year's wommen's tournament was boring

evaz
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:24 AM
mine are:

1. Roland Garros
2. Australian Open
3. US Open
4. Wimbledon

PamShriverRockz
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:34 AM
I love Roland Garros and Wimbledon equally for different reasons!

RG - because there have been so many great finals and some ASV wins ;) I really enjoy clay tennis.
Wimbledon - because I have gone there for the last few years and have great memories ;) also it has so much prestige.

Experimentee
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:39 AM
1. US Open
2. French Open
3. Aus Open
4. Wimbledon

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
1-Roland Garros
2-Wimbledon
3-US Open
4-Aus Open (4th after this yr :fiery: :fiery: )

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:15 PM
1. ROLAND GARROS

2. AUSTRALIAN OPEN

3. U.S. OPEN

4. WIMBLEDON

thefreedesigner
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:23 PM
I love them all for different reasons, and in different moods! Very hard to rank them, but today:

RG - On clay you really get the opportunity to absorb the play. You get the chance as a spectator to see the point build up and think about the shot selection of each player more. Imo.

USO - Just mayhem and chaotic, like the city that hosts it! You seem (though I may be wrong) to get such a diversity of spectator. I love the excitement of having night matches, and enjoy - opposite of RG - the crispness and directness of the play.

Wimbledon - It has its moments. Sometimes I think the whole "prestige" thing is overrated. On both the men's and women's side there definitely needs to be newer names coming through here though.

Aus - I like this tournament a lot (equal with Wimbledon), nice atmosphere it seems, not so sure about the surface though.

vw43
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:25 PM
1. wimbledon
2. u.s. open
3. french
4. australian :bounce:

monicain
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Just Women--Men is no interesting unless the SF is reached

1. Roland Garros : Great tournament , Great surface, Great crowd, Great language, Great city, Great rallies, Great health for most competers and Great chance for monica!!!

It always been a great match in RG Dame Simple Finale esp. that one 1999:bounce: ++greatest match of all I ever seen++

2. Wimbledon : I hates their overproud and even hate more their WHITE tradition, it's dull to watch colourless player. Anyway, I do love grasscourt tennis and I love to see those volleys and smashes.It's also a chance, little but most, for my Anna K.

3. US Open : OK it's 22000 attendance is the biggest on this planet and tons of great wars here inc. that Hingis - Vee 1999 SF which I adore so much but, hardcourt is not that classic as European surface : Grass and Clay. It's never and would never be. Hard - hitter take the advantage that results in Davenport's boring game.

- Melbourne Park : far behind those three. Surface should be change into carpet I guess, to have their own style. Maybe play it indoor,etc. THIS SLAMS HAS NOTHING. Night section selection is VERY STUPID-- just be the aussie player and then you'll find yourself in the night section match.Remember Henin - Anna match to play 1st in the morning? What did they use to create this idea? Maybe their TOES. Commercial is worst either. And heat makes game level down. Timing is profit by a fast-starter like Hingis while Vee, Reena, Anna or else is not back 100% from their vacation yet. I HARDLY ACCEPT IT AS A SLAM.

Mazza
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
mine are:
- Wimbledon :)
- Australian Open
- Us Open
- Roland Garros

angele87
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Well mine would be:

1. U.S Open because I get coverage the whole 2 weeks and the times are reasonable, not at 2 in the morning like the Oz Open.

2. Wimbledon

3. Aussie Open

4. French Open

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:47 PM
I can see Wimbledon is the most respected Slam. :D

Candy946
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Based on what I think is the most interesting to watch:

1. US Open
2. Wimbledon
3. Roland Garros
4. Australian Open

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:13 PM
1-US Open (I love that there are night matches and also the coverage of tennis and also the new york crowds are the best!)

2-French Open (I love tennis on the french clay!)

3- Wimbledon ( This is a great tournament to watch but to much tradition)

4- OZ Open ( dont get to see alot of it and it gets a little boring)

Alberto
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:40 PM
1. Roland Garrós
2. Australian Open
3. US Open
4. Wimbledon

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:51 PM
1.ROLAND GARROS :bounce:
2.US OPEN :D
3.AUS OPEN :)
4.WIMBLEDON :rolleyes:

Maajken
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:53 PM
1. Aus Open
2. Roland Garros
3. Wimbledon
4. US Open

nash
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:56 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. French Open
4. Aussie Open

veronica
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:01 PM
1. US Open - It's like a cage match in the WWF . No holds barred.

2. RG - Pretty close to a cage match. More like an Iron(wo)man competition. Plus, I love sliding.

3. Wimby - Even though my fav has won it back to back i must admit that it is becoming more and more predictable as women develop bigger serves.

4. AO - I don't like rebound ace. I think the surface sucks. Either make it a normal hard court, take it back to grass or make it clay. Way too many injuries the last few years. Even though this year's final was great - the earlier part of the tourney bites because too many people get injured.

Elisse
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:19 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. Roland Garros
3. Australian Open
4. US Open

saby
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:51 PM
RG is my fav (I love clay and it's in my country):)
AO cause there is a special atmosphere (people love tennis and we can see it) :bounce:
USO (always tough matches) :cool:
W (don't like this one, too much serious):fiery:

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Vanity
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:57 PM
01) Roland Garros (anything can happen there!)
02) Wimbledon (i've been there and it felt so cool to be in a place with such an amazing history! i will never forget the smell of the grass courts! :) )
03) Australian Open (The thing I love most about this slam is that it shows what each player has been doing in the off-season, whether it be training hardcore or eating at mcdonald's ;) )
04) U.S. Open (Probably the best TV coverage of all the grand slams)

Lindsayfan
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:02 PM
1) Us Open
2) Wimbledon
3) Australian Open
4) Roland Garros

Bright Red
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:49 PM
1) Wimbledon
2) Roland Garros
3) US Open
4) Australian Open

For many of the same reasons already stated.

Oizo
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:31 AM
1. ROLAND GARROS :bounce:
2. Wimbledon
3. Australian Open
4. US OPEN :wavey:

Martian Martin
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:39 AM
1. Wimbledon, because great tv coverage and I get to actually be there! :)

2. US Open, love the night matches.
3. Australian Open, only problem is it's too early in the year for the players and the time difference is a killer.
4. French Open, don't like clay that much.

aura of daniela
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Australian Open:
Pros
- My home city of Melbourne is the host so I get to go every year.
- Two courts with roofs, so the tournament is never ruined due to rain.
- Weather is always great, and the players alway look good in the sun shine.
Cons
- A lot of players don't seem to be ready for such a big tournament so early in the year.
- Mens Finals have been terrible, apart form a decent one this year.

French Open:
Pros
- Great tactics and Strategy can elimated players who go out there and just smash the ball.
- Proved to be the toughest tournament to win (Sampras couldn't win it, proves that point), always upset and lots of different winners (apart from Kuerten).
- Serve is the least important thing in the game, and basically just starts the point, unless very well placed.
- Red dirt that gets of the ladies outfits, very nice. Sorry guys!
Cons
- Two players playing with identical styles can become boring. And less inventive players can get away with cheap, looping tennis.
- The stereotype that goes with Clay is the slow play, and that will never change in the eyes of people who don't play the game.

US Open:
Pros
- Evens out the field similar to the Aust Open, with a happy medium for both Clay courter, and Grass courter. Anyone can win Hard Court tournaments.
Cons
- Very Americanised tournament.
- Disagree with the comment about New York crowd being to best. They can be the loudest, but unless an American or very well known players are on court, they just don't turn up. I've seen Semi Finals empty. Whats the deal?
- The worst thing of all, sudden death final set tie breaker. Imagine a Men's Final, 5 sets coming down to a tie break, what a joke. But the Yanks have to be different, dont they!

Wimbledon:
Pros
- Great Tradition, players love this tournament. All youngsters want to win Wimbledon when they just start playing tennis, and still do when the are pros.
- Volleying...beautiful sight to see.
- Love the all whites. Fashion shouldn't defeat Tennis in the coverage stakes, and making them were white stops that.
- Girls look great in white dress.....hehehe. Sorry again!
Cons
- Big Serve, too much of a weapon. Too many short bang, bang points.
- A lot of top players (clay court) dont think they can win Wimbledon, so they don't even try. Probably more a player problem, but still a problem.
- Damn England weather....too many rain delay's kill this tournament. Lucky they dont play it during Winter! I get pissed off Watching it on TV, would hate to be there with that weather.

These aren't really in any particular order, but by the pro and cons you can probably make up your own mind.
Would love to know if anyone agrees with my comment?

Good Luck Daniela
Go my Angel
Simon