PDA

View Full Version : How can Monica's fitness be raise to Jennifer's level?

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:25 AM
:confused: , how and is it the only missing asset for her to win slams again?

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:28 AM
diet excercise and maybe finally she needs to think about coming to the net and surprise everyone who just dont think she learn net play.

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:31 AM
thanks but no disrespect to Jennifer, she also seems to be over-weight but still she runs very fast :confused:

SerenasMelons
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:32 AM
She also needs to try to keep her unforced errors down. She could've gotten a few more games today if she had made less errors.

Linton
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:32 AM
well maybe a good diet, but if she was raised to jenns level i could only see that maby happening for a year or 2. Shes alot older and the time will come where she cant be competitive. but knowing her i know she can.

AjdeNate!
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:34 AM
28..26, not that big of a difference. It's not about her gut, it's about her heart. ==== Hey, a new signature for me.

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Linton, Moncia is only 2 years and 3 months older than Jennifer!

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Miranda ,Monica has some slams left in her.. BUT IMHO she must do 2 things to achieve the wins.

#1. get in the best possible shape that she has ever been in her life. I mean get toned get 100% in tip top shape.

#2. Get a coach who will get her net game in gear. Monica has got to get in the net. Actually I think this was the problem tonight and not so much as fitness. She played too many balls to Hingis. I mean Monica had Hingis on the defensive tonight. Imho Monica could have broken Hingis easily if she would of just took balls out of the air.

The fact that she is 28 years old means nothing.. Arthur Ashe won Wimbeldon when he was 32. He beat Connors who was physically fit as ever. Age is nothing..at least not when you're 28. Navratolova and Tauziat and Graf are great players. Who played great tennis.

Monica will get over this and rise in rank she has nothign to defend for awhile.:)

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:11 AM
thanks dawn :). As I don't have much chacne to watch Monica play, I don't know whats her problem but seems she is stubborn to change :confused: . Everyone said she has to come to the net more :confused: .

I don't know how to define "fit" coz seems Jennifer is also over-weighted but don't know why she runs so fast :confused:

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM
You're welcome Miranda. :)

But in Monica's defense excercising is imho hard to do. I think she needs someone to give her that extra push. If you really want to know the truth.. and I said this chatting on my way home from work tonight. I honestly think Monica has not got over her dad's death.

I really want two players to win Roland Garros outside of my absoulute favs and that is Monica and Justine.:)

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:39 AM
thanks dawn, yes I agree, she is still lamenting for her father's death only if he is still there ....

but do you know why Jennifer runs so fast while she is also over-weighted? coz she picked up all the drop shots that Dementikova gave her when the played in HK!!

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Jennifer is quick imho due to her just being maybe a quicker person. Even tho Jennifer's stomach is not toned 100%. I think she is still extremely fit. It seems to me that Jennifer just has that extra step. I really don't know. I do think Monica was a bit drained tonight from all of her tennis matches she played this year. She has been playing alot of tennis. I hope she doesn't get injured. That is what I am worried about. I am worried about her playing the Ericsson actually. I kinda hope she will skip that. Although I do like to see her play. But imho Monica plays better when she is fresh. She needs a break right now from tennis imho.:)

venusrocks
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:54 AM
dumb question...:rolleyes:

those two are big women

Monica's strokes are sloppy looking
and Jennifer....well.....:rolleyes:

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:58 AM
thanks dawn :)

venusrocks, if you think I am asking dumb questions, then don't answer :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:05 AM
I thought it was a good question imho. Jennifer does seem alot faster these days. :)

Venusrocks why do you have that horrible picture of Anna Kournikova as your avatar? You could of found a better one then THAT? Yucky. :eek: :eek: Oh well as long as you like it that is all that matters.:)

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Monica can do so exercises to help her run faster!!

And she'd need some trainer to help her with that.

I think if Monica were 30% faster than she is now, she'd be unbeatable. :D

Jeff
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
I don't mean to dump on Monica, but I've never ever really been a fan of hers. Haven't disliked her, but haven't really cheered for her.

I think her game is one demensional. Sure she needs to improve fitness, but I think she needs to add more to her game than just her groundstrokes. Today against Hingis I think a part of that showed through. When Monica is having an off day, she has nothing to rely on. When her strokes aren't working for her, she pretty much is left with no answers, especially against a player like Martina, who just outplayed Monica today.

Miranda
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:45 AM
I also think a trainer may help her, does she got one :confused: and may be as Jeff said, her coach to teach her more strategic plans :rolleyes:

treufreund
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Well actually if any player gets 30% faster they would probably be unbeatable! Venus or Martina that much faster would mean 0 winners in a match unless one was at the net and you hit a perfect lob or something. Btw, Monica can improve her foot speed but Jenn is probably just naturally faster. Steffi was incredibly fast and very light on her feet. Part of speed is just genetics.

venusrocks
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:19 AM
sorry Miranda, It's really hard to show some sarcasm but anyways....

Monica DOES HAVE A TRAINER and I'm sure she been running.

It's just that some players have better metabolism than others...

Jennifer's body may be overated but she can run down balls (that's what I don't understand) :rolleyes:

Why, you don't like my avatar? It's a funny ugly pic of Anna yes. I though I'd like to change it from time to time...

http://venusrocks.tripod.ca/aniav1.gif
I bet you like this one better, this my default avatar :wavey: :D

Tatiana Panova
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Yeh - the net play is the serious problem and could be rectified if she really put in the hours at the net.

I think she could get a bit fitter.

Mark43
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Let's face it, Monica is not a natural athlete. This is very obvious and always has been. I love Monica but have always been amazed that she has reached the level of success that she has had by sheer force of will. When Monica plays Steffi, Novotna, Hingis, Venus, Serena or any other natural athlete it is a striking difference in movement, court position and anticipation.

I think the only thing she can do, as stated previously, is get into 100% tip-top shape. The shape of her life. The results will come. I have been hoping for this since '96 and off and on it seems like she is getting close, only to have injury's and setbacks.

Last night she seemed frustrated. Maybe she has played too much this year. After the stabbing and her father's passing Monica seems to have a much different outlook on life. Tennis is just a game and she is well aware of that. I know she wants to win just as much as she did in 90-93 but she has to make that commitment to fitness that Capriati did in the fall of 2000. Monica seems to be in much better shape than she was this time last year. I hope she keeps it up and wins Roland Garros! A rematch of the 1990 semis would be a blast.

As for comparisons between Monica and Jennifer, I think Jennifer is by far the better athlete. She moves and anticipates better than Monica. When Jennifer is out of position she recovers marvelously, while Monica falters. Both are big women who don't look the part of "tennis pro" (slim waist etc). But there is no way Jennifer could be out of shape and win the aussie open against Hingis.

Bright Red
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:18 PM
I like Monica. I haven't seen her play in a long time, but I did catch a glimpse of her online. No offense, but she really needs to slim down. I was a little surprised to see her so heavy.

GogoGirl
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:18 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the taped match of the M&Ms semi last night. You know - I don't seem to remember Monica doing any grunting.

Could it be that - she is now trying not to grunt? Maybe she needs to incorporate it back into her game.

Just a thought.

Tatiana Panova
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
I disagree with Mark35 that Monica is not a natural athlete. Of course she is - she would not be able to hit the ball so hard from nowhere is she were not gifted at hitting a ball and totally uncoiling. Perhaps she is not a 400m runner or sprinter like some of the other players could be - but her foot speed and uncoiling ability make her an athlete. Its like a shotputter perhaps - Ok - they are never gonna win 100m race, but they are still natural athletes in their own way!!

Volcana
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:26 PM
She might consider playing less. Can't speak for her of course, but I've found that when I have my life arrange so I can focus on proper sleeep, diet, exercise etc, I can keep myself very trim. As soon as I add elements that make that harder to do, I tend to gain weight. They aren't necessarily stressful in and of themselves, it just the overall effect.

Professional tennis players have busy lives, running all over the world. If she took it a little easier on herself, Monica might be able to structure her routine to get in the shape she was in last summer. She plays deep into every tournament, then runs to catch the next plane. That's not a lifestyle conducive to proper diet.

argentino
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
for me is imposible....monica can be better if she work very hard, but her tennis need a great body with a great preparation, jenny have pther play more actual, for me monica need a better bady what venus for can win ever, with the 2 hands is very dificult.

sartrista7
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Jennifer's speediness comapred with Monica is due to two things imo - 1) natural genetics. She's always been pretty quick, but speed isn't equivalent to stamina. When she got fit, her stamina really improved as well, which in many matches - RG final 01, AO final 02 - is absolutely vital. Like Elena Dementieva, though, her speed is very natural. 2) Anticipation. Martina Hingis always seems particularly fast around the court too, but it's not necessarily due to her speed: she anticipates where the ball will be and starts moving there at least a step before most other players would.

Monica is not naturally speedy, nor does she have extraordinary anticipation. What a fitness overhaul would give her is STAMINA. She's perfectly able to pull out a tough 3-setter or two right now, but after a tough schedule and a lot of close matches, there'll always be the danger that she'll have nothing left for matches like this.

disposablehero
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Nathalie Tauziat is not a fraction of the tennis player Monica is, now was she, nor could she ever have been. Nathalie Tauziat was the worlds #3 ranked player at the age of 32 years, 7 months. Nathalie Tauziat bears no resemblence to a "natural athlete". That should address the issues of 2 naysayers.

Miranda, the difference between Monica and Jennifer is muscle mass, something Monica does not like to have. I remember when she got a little more into weights a couple years ago she mentioned not wanting to put too much on, to preserve her "femininity". I feel this is a mistake, and hope she does some strength work.

venusrocks
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:21 AM
I feel that as a mistake too b/c muscle or no muscle she'd still be a woman...well more than a woman, a superwoman!!

just like V&S ;)

maccardel
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Did I read ur title correct?...How can Monica's fitness be raised to Jennifer's level?

You obviously didn't see her at Scottsdale.I think it should be the other way around. Monica is fit and only lost because for some reason unbeknowing tyo me, there was a semi-final on the day after the quarters...go figure. Monica was tired but not unfit. There's a big difference. She would have put up a fight but the scheduling did her in...hopefully things would be better....I thought Monica had a day off before the semis because her part of the draw played first but that cost her to have two days playing in a row....oh well

Jen is not fit. I don't know what you're watching or how old your telly is but sweetie, the girl is fat...and it's not baby fat I'm talking about. Did you see her nearly falling out after that long rally in scottsdale?

I mean I love serena but she wasn't fit either. They were both gasping for air like two fat women trying to beat each other to the counter at a mcdonald's restaurant.

They are not fit sweetie....they both came back from layin their asses on the beach and gulping down beer and burgers while Venus worked her ass off in Europe.....

That's not an insult but rather an honest observation. It only goes to show how successful both players are. Succes is measurd by how much time you have to yourself doing whatever you want......

I'm just being funny but Jen is not fit...I think you should compare Monica to Martina...that's a fair comparison.

Miranda
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:02 AM
macc, thanks, I know that you are not insulting any one :)

No offence to Jennifer, I also think she is not very fit (which means carrying extra weight) but what I don't understand is that people keep on saying she works hard on fitness and now she can chase down balls/stand long matches, actually I think in terms of "fatness", Monica is not a lot fatter than her but everyone is saying that she is not fit, runs very slow, no engery :confused: .

Rollo
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Excuse me Maccardel-but how do you define define fitness??
Capriati not fit or Monica fitter than Capriati? Sorry, but I'm afraid you're in need of a reality check here.

I won't dispute that Jen is big boned, but maybe you were sipping on some cocktails yourself when watching sweetie :)
After all, she didn't exactly wilt away in Australia. If THAT match doesn't demonstarte fitness, what does?

The best indicator of fitness is not getting tired in match play to the point where it costs you matches. By that yardstick, Jen is up there with Venus and Clijsters in a laegue of their own. Seles, on the other hand, has a history in recent years of runing out of gas in the third.

And it wasn't always that way. At her best Monica won those long 3 set matches. As for foot speed, she was FASTER than Capriati and as fast as Graf. If you don't believe me-go read the early press coverage of the two(I'm posting Jen's ealry matches in Jen's Den). Monica's speed was a strength, Jen's a weakness.

Seles is and has been at least 20 pounds heavier than before the stabbing. She COULD get into Jen-like shape, but unlike Capriati, she doesn't have as much to prove. It takes a super-human effort, and I'll be (happily) surprised if Jen keeps it up:)
I'll be even happier if Monica proves a lot od us wrong and gets fitter-fit enough to win a last slam. I'm not betting on it though.

moby
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
i dont think monica will do it
there's nothing left for her to prove (other than winning wimby which is a diff. stor ;))

she's just having fun playing
and she never was into the fitness stuff anyway

Rollo
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Lets enjoy her while we can-she's the best of the "vet" generation-which includes Sanchez and Martinez. All still have some sparkle and shine:)

Lola
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
I agree, Rollo!

maccardel
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:17 PM
In Australia, Monica faced venus before hingis that is what saved hingis while jen had the luxury of facing an out of sorts kim clijsters.......if monica had made the final she would have won and therer's no doubt about it.....her earlier matches are strenous than her opponents and we tend to forget this.......so monica should have won but it's too late to cry over spill milk now....next year when she's ranked higher.........promise and guaranteed.

Miranda
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:02 AM
really, Monica's foot speed faster than Jennifer :confused: , sorry, I don't understand, if being so, why people keep on saying that she is slow and doen't pick up balls next to her feet :confused: