PDA

View Full Version : Dementieva takes swipe at Kournikova & Sharapova in Ace Magazine ( October edition )

Kathy Rinaldi
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Elena's starting to excel in the art of sneaky comments. She says :

"Nobody could play against Kournikova because they were thinking about how famous she was, how popular she was, and how all the fans loved her. I think she won so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention. That's how it's going with Sharapova right now. But in a few years everybody will play differently against her."

Elena still must be bitter that the only time she played Kournikova, Anna K beat her in straight sets, as did Sharapova the last time she played her.

waratahsrock
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM
i think Dementieva should stop feeling sorry for herself and stop making excuses for why she chokes.

apoet29
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:21 PM
To a degree, she has a point. That is not to say that Anna wasn't a good tennis player or didn't win matches without a fight. But I do think that Anna, especially at the beginning of her career, had a certain aura of invicibility. I mean, what player wants to play against someone they know the entire crowd is cheering for? A player who could still lose, but make more money than her? I think Elena is referring to the psychological factor there, and in that respect, she is right. I remember that her match against Anna was very close, like 7-5, 7-6. I think Elena led in both sets, but lost.

As for Sharapova, she still needs to develop a game that works on other surfaces besides grass. Anna's game, at 17, was better developed than Maria's. However, Maria does have time on her side, but if she doesn't develop quickly, the game will leave her behind.

Personally, I think Elena has a problem with any Russian player who trains outside Russia. There is a real issue with patriotism with her, and she views Kournikova and Sharapova as US sellouts. I really think that is the issue.

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Damn, Elena can say some fucked up shit sometimes.

flyingmachine
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Personally, I think Elena has a problem with any Russian player who trains outside Russia. There is a real issue with patriotism with her, and she views Kournikova and Sharapova as US sellouts. I really think that is the issue.
Agree, also she's too subborn and at times feel too bitter towords other who is different from her remenbered at the Chelaston final against Serena.
I think she have to learn how open her mind up and except there are people who are different from her Russians or non Russians otherwise her public and private life will suffer because of that.

apoet29
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
The sisters sure weren't intimidated by Anna because they kicked her butt.
I never thought the sisters were ever intimidated by anyone.

Nathalie_Tauziat
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:45 PM

"Nobody could play against Kournikova because they were thinking about how famous she was, how popular she was, and how all the fans loved her. I think she won so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention. That's how it's going with Sharapova right now. But in a few years everybody will play differently against her."

Elena still must be bitter that the only time she played Kournikova, Anna K beat her in straight sets, as did Sharapova the last time she played her.

Kathy!

Didn't Elena make une swipe against you Kathy? Most other players do. I know I never go through an interview without insulting you al least a few times. Take care, sweetie! :kiss: :mad:

gweeny
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I don't know about Kournikova, but Sharapova is talented. I doubt that players are scared to play Maria just because she has been hyped. I don't see any "Aura" in Maria as Tracy Austin used towards the Williams Sisters.

Elena should concentrate on her game, and how she can do something that Maria Sharapova did in her first slam final.

shannonannafan
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:49 PM
I don't really see any insulting in her statement. Elena is honest, and the minute she says something people always jump on her.

apoet29
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I don't know about Kournikova, but Sharapova is talented. I doubt that players are scared to play Maria just because she has been hyped. I don't see any "Aura" in Maria as Tracy Austin used towards the Williams Sisters.

Elena should concentrate on her game, and how she can do something that Maria Sharapova did in her first slam final.
I agree with you. I don't think that Sharapova has that aura about her. Even after she won Wimbledon. Of course, her results have not been stellar, but even still, she did not appear to be a major threat this summer.

Elena has always been sharply opinionated, so I don't know why this is a shock to anyone.

Freewoman33
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM
What she said doesn't make sense at all. She really needs to stop being bitter.

Anna, when she was focused, played great tennis. That's why she was a top ten player. Sharapova, it goes without saying, is an excellent player.

The fact of the matter is that nobody wins matches for you. The crowd at the USO haven't been able to make J. Cap. Hence, the media, the attention from fans, or whoever else did not win matches for Anna. Anna won her matches because she deserved to. Like I said, she was very good whenever she was focused.

Maybe when Elena starts focusing on her serve and working hard to correct it, will she be able to win more titles and even some GS titles. I really was starting to like her...

Dawn Marie
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I think the Anna and Maria comparison is stupid. Anna sold her self out before she focused on her tennis and the sport. Maria focused on getting titles first before making money off of her self. Maria has a mature level at 17 then Anna did at 20.

Maria's family and management focused on her tennis skills FIRST where as Anna's management and family were focused more on the money FIRST and sadly her tennis has never amounted to much as it should have.

Elena is a shit server who will find that she did not make due on her 2 chances at a slam title/s. Those 2 chances will only get harder to come by as the tour gets stronger.:)

At least Maria has a slam. HA HA.:)

-Sonic-
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM
u can't be very mentally tough if u lost to someone cos none of the cameras were facing u.

Dawn Marie
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Hell you can't be mentally tough when you love the camera and when the camera's are on you can't win for trying.

Dava
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Whats shes saying isnt something which hasent been said before.

Jsutine has said "When you play Anna you are not playing a tennis player you are playing a tennis celebrity"

JLDementieva
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:24 PM
tsk tsk... I don't like it when Elena says something like this. She needs to think before speaking!

flyingmachine
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:27 PM
What happened at Charleston. Personally speaking I think the girl is very prejudice. That remark she made when Serena beat her at NASDAQ was ..... :o on her part.
Ooops sorry it was in NASDAQ not in Charleston. :o
Anyway it sounds very funny when she make that remark but it shows she is a very bitter person. Luckly Serena igoraned all that because she won and just can't care the damn. ;) But her bitter attitude. :rolleyes:

flyingmachine
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Whats shes saying isnt something which hasent been said before.

Jsutine has said "When you play Anna you are not playing a tennis player you are playing a tennis celebrity"
But that is true. ;)

BoucharDRules
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Elena sure knows how to spice things up with her comments on other players. :lol: She just tells it like it is.

Other players have said they hated playing against Kournikova because of all the nonsense going on in the stands and the media etc.

Freewoman33
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I think the Anna and Maria comparison is stupid. Anna sold her self out before she focused on her tennis and the sport. Maria focused on getting titles first before making money off of her self. Maria has a mature level at 17 then Anna did at 20.

Maria's family and management focused on her tennis skills FIRST where as Anna's management and family were focused more on the money FIRST and sadly her tennis has never amounted to much as it should have.

Elena is a shit server who will find that she did not make due on her 2 chances at a slam title/s. Those 2 chances will only get harder to come by as the tour gets stronger.:)

Great post.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:52 PM
What Dementieva is saying is absolutely true...how anyone could argue otherwise is ridiculous. In every match Anna played in, she had a rowdy and boisterous crowd on her side. It was like a night match at the US Open every friggin time.She won a lot of routine matches not only because of good play (at that time), but because that type of atmosphere scares the shit out of a lot of lower ranked players and they don't know how to deal with it. It's the same reason you used to watch low ranked players get bageled by Venus or Serena in a big stadium match before settling down to win a couple of games in the second set.

Martian Willow
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:04 AM
Elena is funny.

SharapovaFan16
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
Well shit if you can't handle the pressure get the hell out. This is the WTA's where the big girls play. Either take off your training pants and step up to the plate or get the fuck out! Wait, how many grand slams has Elena D. won? O yea she choked in her 2 finals. Damn I hate it when it happens like that. Until she gets one of those she can talk about Sharapova, but really no room to talk here. Distracting crowd haha what a joke.

AK-DH Fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM
What Dementieva is saying is absolutely true...how anyone could argue otherwise is ridiculous. In every match Anna played in, she had a rowdy and boisterous crowd on her side. It was like a night match at the US Open every friggin time.She won a lot of routine matches not only because of good play (at that time), but because that type of atmosphere scares the shit out of a lot of lower ranked players and they don't know how to deal with it. It's the same reason you used to watch low ranked players get bageled by Venus or Serena in a big stadium match before settling down to win a couple of games in the second set.

It is somewhat true. But Elena is being bitter as well. It really sounds like she's jealous. I mean to say that the reason why Anna won many matches was becuase of the crowd. It's true, but give Anna something. That's taking everything away from Anna. Giving her no credit for playing some good tennis, and earning her highest ranking. I'm disapointed in Elena. I'm a fan of her, but she really has to stop these comments. Leave them alone(maria too). Anna -somewhat- paved the way for her so she really shouldn't act as though Anna sucked and her fame won her matches. That's unfair Elena, unfair.

AK-DH Fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:49 AM
That's why everytime an opponet gets her on court they should want to kick her ass and embarrasse her to no end....I forgot that was already done and she had to run away from tennis and pretend she has back problems.

OMG U're so so Funny:( :rolleyes:

Volcana
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:54 AM

"Nobody could play against Kournikova because they were thinking about how famous she was, how popular she was, and how all the fans loved her. I think she won so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention. That's how it's going with Sharapova right now. But in a few years everybody will play differently against her."Actually, where Kournikova's concerned, that's very peceptive, and certainly NOT bitter, as worded. In Sharapova's case, I think the other players are already past that point. Kournikova was very inconsistent, but she beat a lot of top players once. Sharapova hasn't beaten nearly as many top tenners. In fairness, she also hasn't had time.

sabandborg
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
That Elena is a real backbiting jealous gag reflex.

switz
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:05 AM
i love anna and think she had loads of talent but to be honest i don't think these comments are wrong. they are probably unnecessary, but i remember seeing a lot of matches were players were visibly intimidated by the level of support she got.

don't know about sharapova - i don't think her level of fame is anywhere near anna's. the crowd clearly supported mary for instance in the US Open and i doubt that would be the case against anna

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:55 AM
To a degree, she has a point. That is not to say that Anna wasn't a good tennis player or didn't win matches without a fight. But I do think that Anna, especially at the beginning of her career, had a certain aura of invicibility. I mean, what player wants to play against someone they know the entire crowd is cheering for? A player who could still lose, but make more money than her? I think Elena is referring to the psychological factor there, and in that respect, she is right. I remember that her match against Anna was very close, like 7-5, 7-6. I think Elena led in both sets, but lost.

As for Sharapova, she still needs to develop a game that works on other surfaces besides grass. Anna's game, at 17, was better developed than Maria's. However, Maria does have time on her side, but if she doesn't develop quickly, the game will leave her behind.

She doesn't seem to have any problems with Kuznetsova, does she?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:58 AM
To say that she won "so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention" IS ridiculous, I think that is what people find offensive.
Perhaps people shouldn't betake things so literally.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:58 AM
Elena :lol: :lol:

Go fix your serve and win some tournaments :p :D :kiss:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:59 AM
What happened at Charleston. Personally speaking I think the girl is very prejudice. That remark she made when Serena beat her at NASDAQ was ..... :o on her part.
You're a paranoid freak who probably thinks that your neighbours cat is prejudiced, so I don't think Elena needs to lose too much sleep over that one.

firefly_ac
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:16 AM
never know tt Elena can be so tactless.. hee. .

tennnisfannn
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:33 AM
Anyone who says a player wins coz of an 'intimidating' factor is plain denying the ability of that player. Anna is/was such a high profile player for one who hadn't won a title. her reputation as a beauty queen far outweighed her her as a tennis player, but she really was a talented player.
Does that mean when players get on court now, they are more likely to lose to a russian because of the increasing reputation as 'the russian invation' ( a term i don't care much for)
This is what I believe the issue is here. Elena is absolutely gorgeous, she should be getting the 'glamour girl' tag of tennis but she isn't. Anna did, and now Maria has, a few unresolved issues there.

switz
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:53 AM

i'm pretty sure they equate outside russia as being america. why wouldn't they? america = the world.

god bless america!!

Lemonskin.
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:54 AM
Kuzzie's just as un-Russian as Sharapova

SerialKiller#69
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:02 AM
I'm a fan and I admit Elena makes a point there. But the overwhelming support can also be a down side for her. Maybe at that time, Anna was confident enough to bask on that crowd support and play some good tennis. But the crowd's support in the US Open didn't help Anna beat Widjaja at all. Anna couldn't close out those matches where she was leading against top players.

But at the end of the day, you still have to draw on yourself that capability of beating players. Anna beat Elena 7-6 7-6 plain and simple, in one of her worst years.

But kudos to her for speaking what's on her mind.

SerialKiller#69
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:06 AM

I think Elena's patriotism is something to admire. But Sharapova and Kournikova have done a better job in carrying Russia's name.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:18 AM
Kournikova has? Has she? I suppose that it depends how you mean that. Seeing as Elena featured in the first two all Russian finals, that's highly debatable.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:19 AM
This is what I believe the issue is here. Elena is absolutely gorgeous, she should be getting the 'glamour girl' tag of tennis but she isn't. Anna did, and now Maria has, a few unresolved issues there.
I've absolutely never gotten the impression from Elena that she *wants* that.

Wojtek
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:55 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Wojtek
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:00 AM

They kicked her ass very easily and Masha did it before Wimbledon. She should shut up :o and talk more about her shit serve because she was broken 5 times in last match by nobody.

azmad_88
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM
well if u guys can talk about someone u hate
then let her talk about what she wants
but her comments is a lil bit true also rite

brunof
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:18 AM
Although I like Anna and Maria both, I think Elena has a point. She seems frickin' smart, and she speaks her mind. I say good for her. :bounce:

Gandalf
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:54 AM
I don't think Elena is right here. Actually with Anna, I think that most of the players were extra motivated to beat her because they didn't like her and knew also that they would get more exposure if they won (except for Schnyder who couldn't even concentrate). So if anything it was harder for Anna to win those matches.

Anyway, if you let not being the crowd favourite affect the outcome of the match, I don't think you deserve to win it.

mandy7
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:21 AM
she could just be right you know :unsure:
don't be too hard on her, she's nice :)

-edit-
and this is coming from a kournikova fan :p
i also like maria by the way :)

vutt
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:29 AM

Yeah, this week in Korea reflects perfectly your stellar logic :wavey:

Principessa
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:33 AM
Lena :hearts:

Pamela Shriver
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:37 AM
u can't be very mentally tough if u lost to someone cos none of the cameras were facing u.
None of the cameras ever used to face me. Otherwise the lenses would crack.

Junex
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:26 AM
to be honest, Elena is more beautiful than both of the girls.
maybe she just lacks the personality and the rags to riches story which make the Media become not so interested in her.

In fact, when she burst into the scene, which is later than Anna, i have read a headline featuring her picture swinging that forehand with a caption "the next Anna Kournikova".

But i think it doesn't sell too well. Maybe because she was just too inconsistent, or just too reserve at times.

She have been #1 russian before and that was too much of a pride for her, and being russian. I know she have something inappropriate in there but can't blame the girl. I believe she was born and raise that way, in russia. A little bit of a jealousy maybe but it always is evident in a russian attitude.

I remember when svetlana khorkina lost the Olympic gold to that little american girl, (sorry can't remember the name) she also blurted some ridiculous remarks about the judges and all, and its not only at the event that she said things like that. I am a big fan of her and been following her since Atlanta Olympics, inspite of that remarks, i am still is until now! I think that attitude grow on me, same as with Elena. Besides, she has the right to say it, appropriate or not, thats "freedom of Expression"

and before you all would bring up Serena in her, let me say this:

After reading that Article that Serena had written, i promise myself, that i am not gonna say Serena Williams is Arrogant again. I think that article enlightened me of the true Serena and how different she is out of the tennis courts and the competition.

It just dawned on me that in a competition as demanding as Women's Tennis, it would bring the best and the worst of a player but that doesn't mean they are that way in real life. The intensity of the game effects the attitude of a player adn had its after effects even when the match is over.

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
To say that she won "so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention" IS ridiculous, I think that is what people find offensive.indeed... :rolleyes:

Vass22
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:57 AM
Oh Lena, what's that all about?

DEETHELICK
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:20 AM
I personally believe that Anna, Venus, Serena and now Maria have starpower. You are aware of it before you even take the court.

I am sure that starpower can awe some players, especially those lower ranked who thrust into the limelight if they are playing any one of the above. Many commentators have basically said what Elena has said, as a lot of players lose belief and feel nervous in front of the awesome foursome.

I'm sure they did get easy matches as a result of their name and the hype around them.

I actually think Elena is talking from personal experience, having lost to Anna and Maria. Elena and Anna K are friendly (have played doubles) and in a statement, Elena said Anna is a good friend (the Olga link?). As for Maria, she does get a lot of hype, today's players are more fiesty and aggressive, so they rise to the challenge. Back then, they didn't as much.

As for Elena wanting to be a glamour girl a la Kournikova, thats too funny. I've followed Elena for a long time and she has NEVER wanted to be a Maria or Anna clone.

However, I do agree that there is an issue regarding patriotism here.

DEETHELICK
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM
Also, a question the topic starter, is the article actually entitled 'Dementieva takes swipe at....'

If not, that is serious misrepresentation because she has not cussed them personally, she is talking about the media and hype surrounding them.

Chance
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM
demented one strikes again!

lolo7
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM
I know you guys are going to disagree with my statement but i think Elena is right. Look what happen at the Wimbledon finals. Serena demolished Maria earlier in the year. During Wimbledon there was so much Maria hype and coverage from the British press and commentators. People were talking about this girl as if she were the second coming. Serena came out tight because she was totally intimadated by Maria you could see it on Serena's face. You can say the same thing about the match between Serena and Capriarti at Wimbledon when Serena won in straight sets, Capriarti didn't put up a fight because she was tight because there was so much bulid up about Capriarti and Williams rivarly. I think alot of people forget the psychological aspect of the game. I believe Serena's lose at wimbledon was mental due to all the Maria hype.

BlackMoriah
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Why people find her remark offensive I will never understand.
All players win matches easily at some point in their career due to "Intimidation Factor" on the part of the opponent.

It is no secret that the William Sisters are one of the greatest players that ever lived but during their earlier years of dominating, they won so many matches easily due to the fact that they had that aura of invincibility which really intimidated opponents. Nowadays, I see so many threads about if the Williams should hire a coach (even though I think they need in bit of technical help in some areas) and all that crap about their game slipping but the point is they have lost their intimidation factor and every game they play would be a hard one and no unnecessary gift.

In the case of Anna, she might not have intimidated her opponent tenniswise (no disrespect to her talents or lack thereof), but so many of those players were not use to playing someone with such media attention and hype that it probably got in their heads. It is no fact that what separate the top players from the lower ranked ones has more to do with how these top players deal with intangibles and less to do with their tennis skills.

In my opinion, I think Elena was completely right in saying what she did and from her speech during the closing ceremony during the USO, I completely respect what ever she says.

And one think needs to be clear, Some words have stronger effect than others in the English Language and english is not her first language. I bet if you were to learn a bit of Spanish from playing basketball everyday that you would not be able to convey your inner thoughts and feelings in such a way that really express what you are trying to say and at the same time refrain from causing chaos.

cheo23
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM

Elena still must be bitter that the only time she played Kournikova, Anna K beat her in straight sets, as did Sharapova the last time she played her.Dunno how Elena Dementieva can take Swipes at Anyone..She's gotta Take Swipes at her Sucky 2nd SERVE.....& I must Say this..WHy is she attackin Maria Sharapova? Is she jealous Because Maria has a Wimbledon Grand SLAM & OUtplayed SEREna in her 1st GRand SLAm Final, on the other hand, Elena Dementieva looked so nervous in her 1st Grand Slam Final at the French Open..its Like WHATEVER ELENA!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cat
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM
apoet hit the nail on the head when she posted about Elena resenting Anna and Maria because they left Russia for America. That's the crux of Elena's problem with Anna and Maria and Elena can't hide her feelings on the subject.

Experimentee
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
Elena D is always saying bitchy things about other players, this is definitely not new.
She lost to Sharapova last time they played, is she saying that she herself was intimidated by media attention? Thats pathetic if she was! :lol:

*Karen*
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
I think that Anna was a good player and won all of those games because she was talented. I also think the same about Maria With Maria, I don't see how she's intimidating. Although she doesn't get as much attention as Anna did, Maria is still hyped alot. However most of the time a higher ranked player will beat her. Their not intimidated by the attention atall. Don't agree with Lena.

I think Anna and Maria win the matches their supposed to win. But sometimes struggle against the top ten.

MLF
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
We all know Anna Kournikova followed the money in the long run but I think it's a shame that the media and players haven't given her more credit for her tennis playing ability. It is ridiculous to say that she won because of the media attention. Anna has wins over Graf, Seles, Hingis, Capriati, Sanchez, Martinez & Davenport who between them have 46 grand slam singles titles. I think these women are well used to media attention and hype and didn't lose because they were intimidated by Ms Kournikova.

JCF
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM
Elena is telling the truth about Anna Kournakovia!!!!! There is no question about it.

Don't know about Maria, seems that there aren't many players around who are intimated by her much right now

Joana
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
I just love how people think that the criteria for having an opinion is the number of GS titles won. Let's see... how many Slams have people on this board won combined?

Chrissie-fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
If those top players were intimidated by all of the media attention that Anna was getting and lost to her because of that,I hope for them that Britney Spears never decides to become a tennis player. :silly: :silly: :silly:

To say that she won "so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention" IS ridiculous, I think that is what people find offensive.

thelittlestelf
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:35 PM
Here come the Anna K. bashers!

Anyway, before I begin, IMO, Anna didn't win a slam or title because she was injured all the time.

To me, the comparison of Anna and Maria is not TOTALLY earth shaking. They're both pretty, young, blonde Russians who get a lot of media attention and are very talented tennis players. Both play their best at Wimbledon, were Sharapova is the champion and Anna is the former semi-finalist.

Why is it so stupid to compare the two if they are both so similar? Some people think it's insulting to be compared to Kournikova, but is being compared to a beautiful, talented young woman really an insult?

Give Anna a break, please.

DeDe4925
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
I don't really see any insulting in her statement. Elena is honest, and the minute she says something people always jump on her.
Hmmmm, I wonder why?? :smash: :lol:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
I personally believe that Anna, Venus, Serena and now Maria have starpower. You are aware of it before you even take the court.

I am sure that starpower can awe some players, especially those lower ranked who thrust into the limelight if they are playing any one of the above. Many commentators have basically said what Elena has said, as a lot of players lose belief and feel nervous in front of the awesome foursome.

I'm sure they did get easy matches as a result of their name and the hype around them.

I actually think Elena is talking from personal experience, having lost to Anna and Maria. Elena and Anna K are friendly (have played doubles) and in a statement, Elena said Anna is a good friend (the Olga link?). As for Maria, she does get a lot of hype, today's players are more fiesty and aggressive, so they rise to the challenge. Back then, they didn't as much.

As for Elena wanting to be a glamour girl a la Kournikova, thats too funny. I've followed Elena for a long time and she has NEVER wanted to be a Maria or Anna clone.

However, I do agree that there is an issue regarding patriotism here.
Again... if her issue is "patriotism" then why doesn't she have any problems with Kuznetsova, who has beeing training fulltime in Spain for years?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:42 PM
apoet hit the nail on the head when she posted about Elena resenting Anna and Maria because they left Russia for America. That's the crux of Elena's problem with Anna and Maria and Elena can't hide her feelings on the subject.
Again.... if she cares about people leaving Russia to train elsewhere, then WHERE is her issue with Kuznetsova? Could somebody PLEASE answer this? Seeing as I ripped a gigantic hole in that point, it would be nice if somebody would actually bother to address it.

Martian Willow
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM
It is no secret that the William Sisters are one of the greatest players that ever lived .

:scratch:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM
:scratch:
That was my response to that statement too, but I decided just to let it go.

DeDe4925
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM
Kuz is not pretty and blond, is she?!!

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Kuz is not pretty and blond, is she?!!
That's a matter of opinion. That also has NOTHING to do with the point that I was attacking whatsoever. Seriously, wtf?

DeDe4925
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
That's a matter of opinion. That also has NOTHING to do with the point that I was attacking whatsoever. Seriously, wtf?
What's new Canuck, you're always attacking points and posters. My point was that it doesn't have so much to do with patriotism, but the fact that Anna and Maria both come from Russia, are more Americanized, and far more popular than her. I'm sure she feels as pretty, with her blond hair and figure, as they are, but she's not getting the recognition they are, except among tennis fans. Yes, it's a matter of opinion regarding whether Kuz is pretty. But, if you polled a billion people in the world, they'd say she wasn't. Be realistic. Now, if Kuz was blond and pretty with a slim figure, she would have been included in the comment.

But, I'm sure you'll disagree and have a nasty comment or criticism regarding my statement. So go for all you know. ;)

the cat
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
CC(Becca), Anna left for America at age 10 while Maria left for America at age 6. Svetlana didn't leave for Spain until she was about 13 and her family still lives in Russia. Sveta is still very much Russian and maybe that's why Elena didn't include Sveta in her comments.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:38 PM
:lol: can I attempt to answer it ;) Well, Elena has said somethings that leads one to believe that she is very patriotic..thats the best I can do:p But I think she's on to something. I actually think that some of the reason that the other Russians (Elena included )are now starting to get results, is that Anna is no longer around-for so long it was like she was the ONLY Russian playing tennis, anyone not following would have seriously thought that. Elena talks out of the side of her mouth (is that the saying:confused: ) a lot but in no way do i think she is jealous of the attention those 2 get- she seems rather shy actually, with no personality as i like to say but she obviously has some, with the snide comments she happens to spew out every once in a while.

Perhaps I wasn't being clear on what I meant... a couple people seemed to be saying that the main reason she has issues with those two is her "patriotism". I don't doubt for a second that she is very patriotic, I jsut somehow doubt that is the core issue here, or she would also be making remarks comments about Kuznetsova, would she not? I was not talking about all the other stuff.... I was speaking strictly to the point that she has "patriotism" issues with Anna and Maria. IMO that isnt' the issue here at all.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:41 PM
What's new Canuck, you're always attacking points and posters.

I attack weak points. I love how you have tried to make that sound like a bad thing here, as if attacking weak points doesn't have a part in a discussion/debate.

My point was that it doesn't have so much to do with patriotism,

That's nice. Mine did. This is why quoting me and posting something COMPLETELY irrelevant to my point was misleading.

m sure you'll disagree and have a nasty comment or criticism regarding my statement. So go for all you know. ;)

Frankly, I have no comment on your opinion either than what I have already expressed in this thread. My only issue with you here has been explained above.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:44 PM
CC(Becca), Anna left for America at age 10 while Maria left for America at age 6. Svetlana didn't leave for Spain until she was about 13 and her family still lives in Russia. Sveta is still very much Russian and maybe that's why Elena didn't include Sveta in her comments.
Yes, but I'm sure Elena is aware that if it wasn't for a major boo boo by the Spanish Federation, Kuznetsova could have been playing under another flag (maybe she wouldn't have been, I don't understand all the details of that situation. However, it was certainly an option that was explored at some point, whether by her or her handlers it doesn't really make a difference here).

IMO, the "patriotism" issue here is a NONissue, and I have a pretty damn good counter point to back up my opinion.

CJ07
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:33 AM
Elena isn't saying anything meant to offend, she's saying truth

Stamp Paid
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
Elena is a hater, plain and simple.

She thinks shes as pretty as Kournikova (LMAO) and Sharapova, and more talented, so why doesn't she receive all the press and fan adoration that they did/do? I mean, she even wears her hair like Anna did!

Thats Elena's issue.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:56 AM

She thinks shes as pretty as Kournikova (LMAO) and Sharapova, and more talented, so why doesn't she receive all the press and fan adoration that they did/do? I mean, she even wears her hair like Anna did!

Thats Elena's issue.
Right, because Anna is the first girl (and tennis player) to ever braid back very long hair.

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:07 AM
well if u guys can talk about someone u hate
then let her talk about what she wants
but her comments is a lil bit true also rite

Agreed! People who tell Elena to "shut up" while they themselves are making vicious comments about her and others are nothing more than foolish hypocrites.

Stamp Paid
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:07 AM
Right, because Anna is the first girl (and tennis player) to ever braid back very long hair.
Nope, even Serena does! But that was not my reasoning for thinking Elena was jealous, I just said that jokingly. Ha. Ha.

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:09 AM

I doubt Elena would measure someone's "Russian-ness" by how old they were when they left the country.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM
I doubt Elena would measure someone's "Russian-ness" by how old they were when they left the country.
:yeah:

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM
She thinks shes as pretty as Kournikova (LMAO) and Sharapova, and more talented,

You do not know what she thinks.

so why doesn't she receive all the press and fan adoration that they did/do?

Because she has avoided an excessive star-media relationship.

I mean, she even wears her hair like Anna did!

Your point being?

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:17 AM
IMO, the "patriotism" issue here is a NONissue

It may be an issue, but I do not think it is a big one, since Elena has not said anything remotely negative about Anna and Maria growing up in the States.

BoucharDRules
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Again.... if she cares about people leaving Russia to train elsewhere, then WHERE is her issue with Kuznetsova? Could somebody PLEASE answer this? Seeing as I ripped a gigantic hole in that point, it would be nice if somebody would actually bother to address it.

Elena was talking about two players (Anna and Maria) who recieve exorbitant amounts of media hype and celebirty treatment.

Why would she bring up Kuznetsova, who remains relatively anonymous despite her USO win (as opposed to the latest Wimbledon champ)?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
Elena was talking about two players (Anna and Maria) who recieve exorbitant amounts of media hype and celebirty treatment.

Why would she bring up Kuznetsova, who remains relatively anonymous despite her USO win (as opposed to the latest Wimbledon champ)?
Again - I was *only* attacking the "patriotism" point. If "patriotism" was the main issue (in why she is making what may be considered negative comments about Anna and Maria), then she would also attack Kuznetsova (about something else). It quite clearly is not.

SerialKiller#69
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM

Thats Elena's issue.
LOL.

I know your're just joking. Seriously though, I don't think Elena is jealous. She's got far more success than Maria or Anna. And honestly, a lot of people reflect the same thoughts on Maria and Anna regarding issue about their being Americanized or the so-called 'hype' around them that helps them in their matches. But I believe Elena is wrong on this one. Maria didn't beat Davenport and Serena out of anything but her capabilities. Anna beat Graf, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Pierce, etc. by playing to her abilities. In a way, that comment was not well thought of, tactless and shallow.

Yes, Elena is patriotic and those two Americanized, media darling, crowd favorites are easy targets to bare her grunt of patriotism issues. Kuznetsova, despite her GS, is just SO Russian, Elena wouldn't doubt for a second about her. I agree with apoet and thecat, that she does have an issue about it. I mean when someone says something like, "She's almost American!" or "She grew up here." speaks volumes on what she feels regarding Kournikova and Sharapova. So, there.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Go all the way, Lena Dementieva!!

Richie H
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
LOL.

I know your're just joking. Seriously though, I don't think Elena is jealous. She's got far more success than Maria or Anna. And honestly, a lot of people reflect the same thoughts on Maria and Anna regarding issue about their being Americanized or the so-called 'hype' around them that helps them in their matches. But I believe Elena is wrong on this one. Maria didn't beat Davenport and Serena out of anything but her capabilities. Anna beat Graf, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Pierce, etc. by playing to her abilities. In a way, that comment was not well thought of, tactless and shallow.

Yes, Elena is patriotic and those two Americanized, media darling, crowd favorites are easy targets to bare her grunt of patriotism issues. Kuznetsova, despite her GS, is just SO Russian, Elena wouldn't doubt for a second about her. I agree with apoet and thecat, that she does have an issue about it. I mean when someone says something like, "She's almost American!" or "She grew up here." speaks volumes on what she feels regarding Kournikova and Sharapova. So, there.

WTF? :confused:

flyingmachine
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
I think Elena's patriotism is something to admire. But Sharapova and Kournikova have done a better job in carrying Russia's name.
Do you think Elena will go to politics when her tennis career finished? :scratch:

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Figures that ACE magazine would dig up bitchy quotes! :lol:
This isn't a quality tennis magazine.

I think it's funny that ED would say this, she surprises me
with her comments at times.

the cat
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Becca, what major boo boo did Spain make when it comes to Sveta?

BoucharDRules
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Maybe Lena is mad that she was mostly left out of the "Locker Room Confrontation" threads. :lol:

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
she might be on something...sooooo much hype surrounding Maria, just because of two weeks of brilliance....yet Svetlana´s win is seen as flukey yet this year she´s already beaten Justine, first person to do it this year!!, Venus,etc....so why didn´t she get the hype?!

Experimentee
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Again - I was *only* attacking the "patriotism" point. If "patriotism" was the main issue (in why she is making what may be considered negative comments about Anna and Maria), then she would also attack Kuznetsova (about something else). It quite clearly is not.

I believe Petrova also trained outside of Russia, but Elena has no problem with her.
She probably resents the fact that Anna K and Sharapova got more media attention.

Greenout
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
she might be on something...sooooo much hype surrounding Maria, just because of two weeks of brilliance....yet Svetlana´s win is seen as flukey yet this year she´s already beaten Justine, first person to do it this year!!, Venus,etc....so why didn´t she get the hype?!

See, the problem is that according to certain media and
people Justine was never the (cough, cough) #1 so beating her
wasn't that big of a deal. Dubai (cough, cough) wasn't apparently
a real tournament either because players like (cough, cough)
Myskina were there who (cough, cough) aren't real grand
slam contenders. In fact since Serena is actually and has
been (cough, cough) the real number #1 since 2002,
only Maria beating Serena the (cough, cough)
real #1 was worthy of any hype! :p

(spits a big nuggie!)

Declan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=SerialKiller#69. Anna beat Graf, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Pierce, etc. by playing to her abilities. In a way, that comment was not well thought of, tactless and shallow.

Anna has never beaten Mary Pierce.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
I believe Petrova also trained outside of Russia, but Elena has no problem with her.
She probably resents the fact that Anna K and Sharapova got more media attention.
She doesn't want the attention, she's a very quiet girl, she is definately NOT like Anna K, she doesn't crave attention and speaks her mind. I like her

DEETHELICK
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
My personal take on the patriotic issue.

Sveta has never been hyped post USO, so regarding Sveta, Elena felt no reason to comment on her. Plus Sveta has backed up that USO with an amazing run in Asia.

Also, Svet and Petrova were never americanised the way Anna and Maria are/were. Those two girls were/are of celebrity status. They both spent extensive time in the US, known for both tennis and their off court endeavours. Their personal news makes headlines on the entertainment circuit. They have been projected as American (even though they are not) blonde beautys.

And their starpower certainly carries onto the court with them. Sharapova got a lot of hype since an early age. And especially last year in the UK and this year after Wimby. Anna and Sharapova have a way with the media that is different to the other Russian girls.

Many have said that they are Americanised, why is Elena being crucified for saying that. Many have said that they have an aura (and off court reports of diva behaviour) so why is Elena being criticsed for saying that it can carry over into a tennis court too where a person can be intimidated?

Maybe because Elena was put in the same position as Maria and Anna and never sold out to the media, she feels strongly about the way Anna and Maria represent Russian tennis with the sexy photoshoots etc?

At the end of the day, I'm not too bothered. They all have had great careers, all are millionairesses and I am pretty sure they are friends off court (at least Elena and Anna K are now)

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
See, the problem is that according to certain media and
people Justine was never the (cough, cough) #1 so beating her
wasn't that big of a deal. Dubai (cough, cough) wasn't apparently
a real tournament either because players like (cough, cough)
Myskina were there who (cough, cough) aren't real grand
slam contenders. In fact since Serena is actually and has
been (cough, cough) the real number #1 since 2002,
only Maria beating Serena the (cough, cough)
real #1 was worthy of any hype! :p

(spits a big nuggie!)

:lol: You might be closer to the truth than you think....:lol:

Natasc
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
I think Ana was always been dazzling for she beauty and only in the beginning for your talent is not 'cause of this that she made that "erotic" clip with Enrique Iglesias (HERO). Already Sharapova her until can be a good player but it seems not to be staying the rhythm and who knows can go in the same direction of Kounikova. Already on Dementieva they speak what wants but the fact is that she was the only player to be in two final of GS that year and one of the only ones to maintain the rhythm playing well, at least up to now.

Sharapova made an agreement that can surrender up to U$5 million to her, a perfume business if I don't make a mistake. She also went to the premiere of the film "Winblendom". For me she seems to be in the same direction of Anna. Each one has your beauty and it uses in the way that wants, of course some take advantage of to win money on top of that.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Becca, what major boo boo did Spain make when it comes to Sveta?
They figured she was a dime a dozen talent and didn't push for her to get citizenship.

SerialKiller#69
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=SerialKiller#69. Anna beat Graf, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Pierce, etc. by playing to her abilities. In a way, that comment was not well thought of, tactless and shallow.

Anna has never beaten Mary Pierce.
Really? I thought she did..:shrug: Maybe I'm wrong.

InDemand
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
My point was that it doesn't have so much to do with patriotism, but the fact that Anna and Maria both come from Russia, are more Americanized, and far more popular than her. I'm sure she feels as pretty, with her blond hair and figure, as they are, but she's not getting the recognition they are, except among tennis fans.
But how do you know Dementieve is not getting the recognition in Russia? That's where she lives; I would guess she judges her celebrity by how she is treated at home.

I don't know why people assume that being a celebrity in the US is a high priority for non-American players. Sure, it's nice. But soccer and tennis stars do very well in Europe. They are famous and they are rich - there is plenty of money for them to be made by playing and endorsing international products at home.

Martian Willow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM
I tend to think that when people accuse someone of being jealous of anothers' fame and/or wealth and/or beauty, they are making a statement as much about themselves as about the person they are accusing, since it contains to a larger degree their own world view.

peanuts
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Do you think Elena will go to politics when her tennis career finished? :scratch:
i dunno for some reason this one really cracked me up :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe its because i can't believe such a quote would generate so much argument from the posters here...lighten up people ;)

DeDe4925
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I attack weak points. I love how you have tried to make that sound like a bad thing here, as if attacking weak points doesn't have a part in a discussion/debate.

It is bad when you are the only one who thinks they are weak and proclaims them to be so merely because you feel you are the arbiter of everything.

That's nice. Mine did. This is why quoting me and posting something COMPLETELY irrelevant to my point was misleading.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot there's no other point but yours that is important or relevant.

Frankly, I have no comment on your opinion either than what I have already expressed in this thread. My only issue with you here has been explained above.
That's cool, same here.

Jasmin
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM
As you can see I enjoy Elena's tennis (minus the serve) but she is off here. I mean really I don't get the feeling that anyone is afraid of Maria especially after her results after Wimby. People are aware of her and probably have taken notice of her game and now they know how to beat Maria but that's about it.

I do think Elena have a problem with Russian players that stay in America.

Dementinator
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Mmmmm let me see..................
(Reading article in ACE magazine)
Well All I can say is the version I have here is different to everybody elses.
I see no bitterness just a one paragraph comment on Sharapova and Anna's star power and how they can be intimidating to play.
Nope cant see any bitchyness at all, in fact I have no Idea what everybody is talking about at all ,just an interesting article on Lena D nobody got slagged off ,i must be missing something!

Declan
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Mmmmm let me see..................
(Reading article in ACE magazine)
Well All I can say is the version I have here is different to everybody elses.
I see no bitterness just a one paragraph comment on Sharapova and Anna's star power and how they can be intimidating to play.
Nope cant see any bitchyness at all, in fact I have no Idea what everybody is talking about at all ,just an interesting article on Lena D nobody got slagged off ,i must be missing something!

To be fair, your user name suggests you're not exactly an impartial observer!

On the subject itself, I always found Dementieva to be snidey about Anna, and I always put it down to jealousy. And when the spectre of Anna had all but gone, along came another young fellow-Russian who achieved almost the same amount of attention and hype and history repeated itself. Hence Dementieva's sourness. (A losing head-to-head with both other players doesn't help, either....)

Dementinator
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM
You are right I am a Dementieva fan yes ,But honestly I really think things have been blown out of proportion ,what Lena said is quite true and It didnt sound sour to me, but that is just my opinion for what its worth ,lena has nothing to be jealous of she has plenty of sucess herself with more to come I believe ,and she hates publicity anyway ,and lets face it Sharapova may well be the real deal as she holds wimbledon and other titles ,but Kournikova??? she was never a tennis player just a fashion Icon
who never won a single tournament in her career ,she was good for the game though as it brought publicity and media interest but not Talent!

Declan
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
You are right I am a Dementieva fan yes ,But honestly I really think things have been blown out of proportion ,what Lena said is quite true and It didnt sound sour to me, but that is just my opinion for what its worth ,lena has nothing to be jealous of she has plenty of sucess herself with more to come I believe ,and she hates publicity anyway ,and lets face it Sharapova may well be the real deal as she holds wimbledon and other titles ,but Kournikova??? she was never a tennis player just a fashion Icon
who never won a single tournament in her career ,she was good for the game though as it brought publicity and media interest but not Talent!

'She was never a tennis player' - that's just not true. Anna Kournikova was ranked in the Top Ten in the world in singles, and reached the No.1 spot in doubles. She also reached the Semi-Finals of Wimbledon (and at least the last 16 in the other three Slams), and achieved many high-profile wins over the likes of Steffi Graf (on grass!), Monica Seles and Lindsay Davenport. A little more than 'just a fashion icon' to anyone who saw her play in her glory years.

Dementinator
Oct 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
fair enough....

SerialKiller#69
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Kournikova, the non-tennis player, fashion icon, who never won a single tournament in her career, brought publicity and media interest but not Talent.... beat Dementieva 7-6 7-6.:shrug: