PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova slammed for taking appearance fee in Korea

tennischick
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Russian Press Slams Sharapova's Korea Visit http://english.chosun.com/media/photo/news/200409/200409300048_00.jpgMaria Sharapova The Russian press has criticized tennis star Maria Sharapova's visit to South Korea, saying that her decision to come here was soley based on money.

Russian NTV and some Internet sites have reported that Sharapova received US$300,000 to simply play in the Hansol Korea Open, earning more than the grand prize of US$140,000 being offered at the tournament. The press also noted that the competition is only at the 4th tier in international competition. The press did not forget to add that it would be hard to find a 20th ranked player at the games, which makes it surprising that 8th ranked Sharapova is here. (Chung Byung-sun, bschung@chosun.com (bschung@chosun.com) )

Knizzle
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Why can't she make her money??

esquímaux
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:22 PM
:lol: Geaux Masha :rocker2::D

venusfan
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:25 PM
A tier IV?

Well, with that Wimbledon Fluke she needs to bill back the confidence

Pengwin
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I'd go play in the Antarctic if they paid me $300,000, Sharapova should be able to do whatever she wants.

Linnie
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:29 PM
I'm shocked...shocked! :eek:

Sid-Newc
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:31 PM
She can do whatever she wants. $300000+( prize money) and a title for 1 weeks work is not too bad.

clonesheep
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
There's a minor error in that article. Previously, the appearance fee was reported by the Korean sources as $200,000. Perhaps there are other bonus I don't know. Also, the $140,000 prize money is not for the sole winner, but for all participants (winners, runners-up, etc, for both singles and doubles). The singles winner of a tier IV gets only around $25,000. (So, the appearance fee is almost 10 times the potential prize money.)

Emptiness
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'd spend a day with Damir after being introduced as Jelena's lesbian girlfriend for US$300,000.

esquímaux
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Sharapova should be able to do whatever she wants.End of discussion :D.

clonesheep
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM
BTW, I wonder why the Russian media slams Maria at this particular time. Could it be because Maria is not playing Moscow? Or just sour grape?

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I'd go play in the Antarctic if they paid me $300,000, Sharapova should be able to do whatever she wants.

Ditto.

However, any top 10 player would be critisized
for playing a Tier IV and even more so after having
won a Grand Slam.

Not only does she get the appearance fee, she has no competition so
she'll take home the bulk of the prize money for winning this title.

I think people are upset about the money issue
as well as her having no competition and the girls who
would've benfitted most from this tournament monetarily
and confidence building game wise, things just got that much
more difficult.

Either way Sharapova will be critisized.

She wins, it's because she had no competition
and showed up simply for a pay day and another title.

She loses, it's a major upset.
She lambasted for being beaten by a player outside the
top 80 and for taking the appearance fee money.

Even if she wins, she loses.

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I thought taking appearance fees is not allowed ?!??!!???!!!????!!!!?????!!!!!

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:37 PM
BTW, I wonder why the Russian media slams Maria at this particular time. Could it be because Maria is not playing Moscow? Or just sour grape?

One would think though that she'd
want to play Moscow being a Tier I
event and in her homeland no less.

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I thought taking appearance fees is not allowed ?!??!!???!!!????!!!!?????!!!!!

Obviously, it is allowed otherwise she'd
have never showed up.

She really couldn't have shown up for the competition and
her play isn't so bad that she'd have to play a Tier IV just to
win another title.

Sid-Newc
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Ditto.

However, any top 10 player would be critisized
for playing a Tier IV and even more so after having
won a Grand Slam.

Not only does she get the appearance fee, she has no competition so
she'll take home the bulk of the prize money for winning this title.

more difficult.

She wins, it's because she had no competition
and showed up simply for a pay day and another title.

She loses, it's a major upset.
She lambasted for being beaten by a player outside the
top 80 and for taking the appearance fee money.

Not really, she'll get critisised by only the jealous tennis "fans". Thats a GOOD thing.

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Not really, she'll get critisised by only the jealous tennis "fans". Thats a GOOD thing.

I don't think so.

I think even tennis experts would be critical
of Sharapova or any other top 10 player
playing a Tier IV event.

Lemonskin.
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Christ... would any other player be criticised like in that article if THEY took an appearance fee?

Truth is, Maria's made the Korea Open an international hit. No-one would have cared about it if Maria wasn't there. And Maria wouldn't have even thought of going there if not offered a big fee for her being there.

Also, how much PRESS would the Korea Open have recieved without Maria? None. Even our Sydney papers have little articles about how Maria is going in Korea.

Sid-Newc
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Korea would make a lot more than $300,000 becasue of Maria, so its only fair she gets some of the money!

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Christ... would any other player be criticised like in that article if THEY took an appearance fee?

Truth is, Maria's made the Korea Open an international hit. No-one would have cared about it if Maria wasn't there. And Maria wouldn't have even thought of going there if not offered a big fee for her being there.

Also, how much PRESS would the Korea Open have recieved without Maria? None. Even our Sydney papers have little articles about how Maria is going in Korea.
Of course. But don't act as if Maria had this in mind when she decided to play the tournament.
Why didn't we see any top 10 players at other tier IV's this year? Because didn't have the $$$$$$$$$$$ to afford them.

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:49 PM

Yes!

Given the event and the signifgance of it
or lack their of.

So, does that mean that all top 10 players should start
playing Tier I through Tier V events to make them hits
and to heck with the lower ranked player strying to
build their way up?

Not to start a whole bruhaha but, Venus hasn't had the hottest year
and if she decided she wanted to play a Tier IV event and take whatever
appearance fee that was offered because she brought recognition to that event that people like you and tennis analyst would let it slide, honestly?

Venus may not have had the kind of year that she and others expect of
one with her records and background but, her play isn't as such or her pocketbook that she'd have to play a Tier IV, and the same hold true for Sharapova.

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Top 10 ATP players play tournements which are exactly like Tier IV all the time and no one care.
That's correct.
But ATP's prize money system is much more even, they have tournaments with prize money of 800K, 600k and 400K so you don't really notice when top-players play 400K's.
WTA: 585K, 170K. And of course they have the tier-system.

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Top 10 ATP players play tournements which are exactly like Tier IV all the time and no one care.

And exactly how many are as recognizable and hearled by the
media as the savior of their sport like Sharapova?

The fact of the matter is that in the men's game
only a few enjoy the global recognition of Sharapova
and the other top women in the world.

That however doesn't make it right.

Paneru
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:54 PM
That's correct.
But ATP's prize money system is much more even, they have tournaments with prize money of 800K, 600k and 400K so you don't really notice when top-players play 400K's.
WTA: 585K, 170K. And of course they have the tier-system.

Thanks for that distinction.

Hant Hant
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I wish I could get beyond the 1st round of any tournament. I mean I lost 5-7 5-7 after leading 5-4 in the first set and 4-1 in the second set.

:::cries:::::

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:08 PM
They also have events with 1 000 000 :).

That people notice it or not, it doesn't change anything to my point. ;)
There is only a slight difference.
As it's more common on the ATP tour, you usually have more than one top-player on the same small tournament, like Agassi AND Roddick etc.

And - there's more depth. Put Federer into a clay tier V with players outside top 50 only, and he might lose.
Maria ... won't lose.

pcrtennis
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Russian Press Slams Sharapova's Korea Visit Maria Sharapova The Russian press has criticized tennis star Maria Sharapova's visit to South Korea, saying that her decision to come here was soley based on money.

GOOD! She deserves it!!!

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Sharapova isn't responsible for the lack of depth in the womens game.

:)

And didn't Maria lose to Washington not a long time ago... She can lose in Korea.
She shouldn't have played. :ras:

And she should play Filderstadt next week, she needs experience against top-players and tough competition. :)

raquel
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Martina Hingis hoovered up a lot of money a few years ago playing a couple of Tier 3's in the Middle East and earned more than the tournament's total prize money in guarantees alone so it's nothing new. With Sharapova it does not seem to matter though as she seems to be an easy target for people these days. I think after her Wimbledon win there was a lot, perhaps too much, hype and press - it was a great story - but I didn't think the backlash would happen so soon.

Volcana
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM
This is unheard of! Given that she's the first player EVER to take an appearance fee for playing a tournament, I utterly condemn her. Tennis is an amateur sport, and professionalism has no plac .... what? Oh. Never mind.

Mrs. Peel
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=ti-online]I'd go play in the Antarctic if they paid me $300,000[QUOTE]

:lol: truth!

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Martina Hingis hoovered up a lot of money a few years ago playing a couple of Tier 3's in the Middle East and earned more than the tournament's total prize money in guarantees alone so it's nothing new. With Sharapova it does not seem to matter though as she seems to be an easy target for people these days. I think after her Wimbledon win there was a lot, perhaps too much, hype and press - it was a great story - but I didn't think the backlash would happen so soon.
As far as I remember Martina played one tier III and a (weak) tier II so I thought it was okay.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Sharapova is just taking advantage of the system. Good for her ;)

DA FOREHAND
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:57 PM
She played the US Open isn't that enough?

or are you speaking of Russia?

Sharapova is at a bit of a crossroads, she needs more wins on her record, and can't afford the blows to her confidence losses to Zvon, Kuzzie..et al may dole out.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah,but if I was given 200.000$ (let alone 300.000$) they could criticize me as much as they wanted,but I would still have a smile on my face.

more difficult.

gweeny
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Remember Maria came from no money (according to the Media). So when there is an opportunity to add more money, she will ofcourse go for it. I don't see anything wrong with that. Girl has bills to pay, like all of us do.

hotandspicey
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Good to see the Russian press is not caught up in Maria Mania!

SharapovaFan16
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:23 AM
she is getting paid to do what she loves, come on why not? I'd play naked for that money haha well i dunno bout all that, but still. you know maria isn't all about the money. most of the girls out there aren't. she is really passionate about tennis and wants to play. i don't think the numbers are really her main concern in life haha

Infiniti2001
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:28 AM
I dunno about the accepting the appearance fee meaning I am indifferent on the matter, but I find the amount offered hard to believe. Why oh why would she receive more than the entire pot of $140,000? :shrug:

clonesheep
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:31 AM

The fact is, Sharapova constantly got beaten by elite Russian players. Just after Wimbledon, she has lost to Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, and Myskina (her H2H with Myskina is 0-4). If Maria shows up at Moscow she would probably not survive 3rd or 4th round. That's not a good way to preserve her "myth" that the Russian media has built for her.

Besides, Moscow is the hometown of Myskina and Dementieva. This is one of the few places where Maria may not be the most popular girl in town and I am not sure she likes that.

Shenanigans
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:32 AM
She could have shown more professionalism and refused the $300,000, she is wimbledon champion, pretty and young with a media following that is at least worth $400,000.

vettipooh
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:36 AM
The fact is, Sharapova constantly got beaten by elite Russian players. Just after Wimbledon, she has lost to Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, and Myskina (her H2H with Myskina is 0-4). If Maria shows up at Moscow she would probably not survive 3rd or 4th round. That's not a good way to preserve her "myth" that the Russian media has built for her.

Besides, Moscow is the hometown of Myskina and Dementieva. This is one of the few places where Maria may not be the most popular girl in town and I am not sure she likes that.Very well said!!!

ktwtennis
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:40 AM
:rolleyes: She wasn't the first, and she won't be the last...

Rocketta
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:51 AM
um, I know it says Sharapova was slammed but if all the papers said was this.....

Russian NTV and some Internet sites have reported that Sharapova received US$300,000 to simply play in the Hansol Korea Open, earning more than the grand prize of US$140,000 being offered at the tournament. The press also noted that the competition is only at the 4th tier in international competition. The press did not forget to add that it would be hard to find a 20th ranked player at the games, which makes it surprising that 8th ranked Sharapova is here. (Chung Byung-sun, bschung@chosun.com (bschung@chosun.com) )
Where is the slamming? That sounds like just the facts of the situation. Is it slamming to point out that she's playing a tournament that it would be hard pressed to find another top 20 player playing? Maybe if we can actually see the articles where she was slammed I might understand better? :scratch:

sabandborg
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:54 AM
I'd spend a day with Damir after being introduced as Jelena's lesbian girlfriend for US$300,000.

LOL!

Go Masha, make that money!

Media goons aint paying your bills.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:31 AM
OMG, you haters are pathetic. :haha:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:01 AM
OMG, you haters are pathetic. :haha:
Thank you for that intelligent contribution. You certainly have advanced the level of discourse in this thread with that comment.

tennischick
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM
um, I know it says Sharapova was slammed but if all the papers said was this.....

Where is the slamming? That sounds like just the facts of the situation. Is it slamming to point out that she's playing a tournament that it would be hard pressed to find another top 20 player playing? Maybe if we can actually see the articles where she was slammed I might understand better? :scratch:
here's the piece of the article you edited out:
The Russian press has criticized tennis star Maria Sharapova's visit to South Korea, saying that her decision to come here was soley based on money. i also cited the link so folks can verify the report as cited.

Bamafan717
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:09 AM

Well, most of the time, only Russians play Moscow :tape: :lol: :devil:

firefly_ac
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:45 AM
well. . it's good to play lower tier events to gain confidence i guess. . .if only Daniela could follow the same footsteps last year. . .:sad:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:23 AM
I would play in traffic on the West Side Highway for $300,000...:lol:

Rocketta
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:35 AM
here's the piece of the article you edited out:
i also cited the link so folks can verify the report as cited.
I didn't edit out anything maybe you meant "failed to include" cause all I did was copy and past the 2nd paragraph. I read the first sentence fast and didn't notice that sentence but criticised and slammed are not necessarily the same thing so like I said maybe i would get the term "slammed" if I actual read the articles.

Hant Hant
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:49 AM

Damir is secretly gay. He is just lashing out because he cannot come out of the closet. Jelena must be adopted because she is too classy to come from him.

moby
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:00 AM
As far as I remember Martina played one tier III and a (weak) tier II so I thought it was okay.
and besides Doha and Dubai are doing really well now
You've got to think that part of it has to do with Martina playing in 2001
in a way she gave those two tournaments a much needed dose of international exposure

Greenout
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM
It's an over glorified exhibition event that has as WTA Tier IV status.
If it was totally illegal than the WTA should never have given their
go ahead and sent Maria there. Fact is they did- so there's nothing
sleazy going on here. It's Korea- they're honest enough, and enjoy
boasting about how much money they can pay Maria.

The Moscow media sounds like your typical homegrown bitter
press corps that like many others love knocking down their own
who do good or better in their careers.

SerialKiller#69
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:09 AM
Let the girl be. She knows how to earn her money. That doesn't make her less of a player.

fabifan#1
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:31 AM
i think all she wats its wta titles but common she can try at least tier 3 but 4 is kinda embarassing for a wimbledon champ........ :confused:

vutt
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Let the girl be. She knows how to earn her money. That doesn't make her less of a player.
Like Anna K. :tape:
...and she still keeps saying that she's not like Anna.:angel:

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:22 AM
Seles played Shanghai, a Tier IV, beating Nicoletta Pratty 6-1, 6-0 in the final :D :silly:

Maybe Maria wanted to visit Korea :scratch:

Daniel
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
It is her decision to play wherever she wants. and it is smart to go there, where she will win the tournament easily , will get almost half a million dollars (appearance fee + winning the title) and improve her ranking and game.

veryborednow
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:35 AM
I bet “Maria’s people” see the appearance fee as a bonus, and probably would’ve been quite happy for Sharapova to play there for free like the rest of the draw.

The focus here is not that she took an appearance fee, but why is she playing a tier IV in Asia?

The money? Nope. Got plenty of that.

The winning? Possibly. She needs it at the moment as people have said up thread.

Maria is still is Asia because her people are making her play there. Why are her people making her play there? For the same reason why any football club with any sense heads over to Asia in the off season. For the same reason she needs to keep winning.

For marketing reasons.

Playing a tier IV allows all the attention to be on Maria, no Serena/Svetlana et al taking valuable coverage away from her this week. More coverage = higher profile in Asia = more fans = more fans with money = more sponsorship deals = more money for Maria’s people.

She’s not there for the $300,000 (though I suggest the next time she takes an appearance fee she keeps it quieter than this) she’s here for the long-term financial benefits.

Well good for her people. And hopefully, good for Maria,.

But I’ll wait a little while longer before being confident about that last statement.

JonBcn
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:45 AM
VBN - You're absolutely right, but there's another aspect that no one has commented on. I'm willing to bet that, regardless of their rules about when or where a player should play depending on their ranking, the WTA are breathing a huge sigh of relief that Sharapova is playing in Asia. There are a bunch of new low-grade tournaments, which if the game in Asia is going to continue to grow, HAVE to succeed. The best way of doing this is by investing the extra money necessary to attract the most talked about player in the world right now (like it or not).

It's fantastic that someone like Maria is out there doing the rounds of the press and forfeiting the chance of bigger points and glory elsewhere. Of course, it could all be a cynical money grabbing exercise, but she's 17, with the biggest money-earning potential in womens sports history ahead of her, so I dont really buy it. $300,000 is small change, especially if it ends up costing her a place at the World Championships. I personally think she's been asked to play there, and she's being duly compensated for it.

Vass22
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:51 AM
They don't like her very much because she's like an American.

danra
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:52 AM
somebody from the board said that for Sharapova's first match the stadium has about 3-4000 people - that wouldn't normally happen in early rounds, even when major names are playing at established tournaments. paying the big appearance fee to get MS there means the tourny will be a success and prob guarantee it's existence for the next few years - and that's good either way you look at it.

out of interest, does the russian press criticize the two female pole vaulters for blatantly playing the world record bonus system the same way Bubka did? not exactly the same, but has definite parallels.

Jackson.
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:09 AM
It's an over glorified exhibition event that has as WTA Tier IV status.
If it was totally illegal than the WTA should never have given their
go ahead and sent Maria there. Fact is they did- so there's nothing
sleazy going on here. It's Korea- they're honest enough, and enjoy
boasting about how much money they can pay Maria.

The Moscow media sounds like your typical homegrown bitter
press corps that like many others love knocking down their own
who do good or better in their careers.
:worship:

veryborednow
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM
Ah, JonBcn, how very observant of you ;)

So everybody wins, and everyone is happy ...

Abeit the Russian press. Evidently.

HectorMagnus
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:40 AM
VBN - You're absolutely right, but there's another aspect that no one has commented on. I'm willing to bet that, regardless of their rules about when or where a player should play depending on their ranking, the WTA are breathing a huge sigh of relief that Sharapova is playing in Asia. There are a bunch of new low-grade tournaments, which if the game in Asia is going to continue to grow, HAVE to succeed. The best way of doing this is by investing the extra money necessary to attract the most talked about player in the world right now (like it or not).

It's fantastic that someone like Maria is out there doing the rounds of the press and forfeiting the chance of bigger points and glory elsewhere. Of course, it could all be a cynical money grabbing exercise, but she's 17, with the biggest money-earning potential in womens sports history ahead of her, so I dont really buy it. $300,000 is small change, especially if it ends up costing her a place at the World Championships. I personally think she's been asked to play there, and she's being duly compensated for it.

great post :yeah:

It's nothing new under the hot sun. Just business as usual. There are many examples of it, some players are logos which can be easily sold. WTA needs money and so the famous clothes selling companies. And advertisments are the best way how to do your job. ;)

tennischick
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:40 AM
I didn't edit out anything maybe you meant "failed to include" cause all I did was copy and past the 2nd paragraph. I read the first sentence fast and didn't notice that sentence but criticised and slammed are not necessarily the same thing so like I said maybe i would get the term "slammed" if I actual read the articles."editing" actually refers to any kind of change. so failing to include the first paragraph is a form of editing. and the word "slammed" came from the originial headline. my sense is that the newspaper in question is referencing Russian sources in its summary.

tennischick
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM
let me lay out the ORIGINAL, UNEDITED article once again:

Russian Press Slams Sharapova's Korea Visit

The Russian press has criticized tennis star Maria Sharapova's visit to South Korea, saying that her decision to come here was soley based on money.

Russian NTV and some Internet sites have reported that Sharapova received US$300,000 to simply play in the Hansol Korea Open, earning more than the grand prize of US$140,000 being offered at the tournament. The press also noted that the competition is only at the 4th tier in international competition.

The press did not forget to add that it would be hard to find a 20th ranked player at the games, which makes it surprising that 8th ranked Sharapova is here. (Chung Byung-sun, bschung@chosun.com (bschung@chosun.com) )
source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200409/200409300048.html

Paneru
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
Roddick, Agassi, Federer... Not recognizable by medias?

I said "how many",
which means not many! ;)

Not nearly as many as
the women's game! :cool:

Paneru
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:01 PM
She played the US Open isn't that enough?

or are you speaking of Russia?

Sharapova is at a bit of a crossroads, she needs more wins on her record, and can't afford the blows to her confidence losses to Zvon, Kuzzie..et al may dole out.

Yes, I'm speaking of Russia.

So, she doesn't play because
she may get beat by a fellow
countrywoman?

I was simply saying it's a Tier I event and
in her home country.

How great would it be for the Russians to see
their three consecutive 1st time Slam winners
play in front of the home crowd.

Jem
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM
This is unheard of! Given that she's the first player EVER to take an appearance fee for playing a tournament, I utterly condemn her. Tennis is an amateur sport, and professionalism has no plac .... what? Oh. Never mind.
Uh-oh -- you're caught in a time warp!

vogus
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
good to see that for the most part people aren't being naive about this. This is the way business is done. The WTA has got to be thrilled that Sharapova is promoting the sport over in Asia. That she openly flouted their "rules" is probly the last thing on their minds.

The WTA needs to can the appearance money "ban". For all practical purposes it is not observed anyway, as tournaments can sign contracts contracts with players, which ostensibly pay the players for other duties not related specifically to appearance. They can say, "well we paid Lindsay Davenport/Venus Williams/Anna Kournikova etc, 100,000$ to do some voiceovers for our ticket hotline, it's a promotion deal." That's how they commonly get around it.

Yeah, paying 300,000 in appearance money at a tournie where first prize is only 25K turns the tournie into a bit of an exho. But so what? At least they had an event.

Paneru
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Let Venus, whom has not had as stellar a year as Sharapova
and is just as well known around the world try that and she'd
be lambasted left and right on this board and I'm sure some
of these sportwriters would chime in as well! :lol:

It just interesting how over the past two or three year the Williams
have been critisized about being in it for the money.

Now, it's obviously what Sharapova is doing and is all the sudden
somehow just "good business"! :lol:

Lil' salty here! :devil: :p :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
I would think that it's a common practice...Who cares? Every year that Venus plays the Pilot Pen, when you call for tickets, you get to hear her voice...Do you think she does that for free?

Paneru
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:35 PM
I would think that it's a common practice...Who cares? Every year that Venus plays the Pilot Pen, when you call for tickets, you get to hear her voice...Do you think she does that for free?

True! :lol:
Who cares! :cool:

Always the voice of reason
and the only one that gets through! ;)

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Sharapova has made less than $100,000 in prize money in 6 tournaments since Wimbledon.
To me, that's a much bigger deal than her playing a Tier IV.
Svetlana and Elena D. just split $1.5 million in New York. Sharapova is getting bounced early, week after week.

She was going to play Beijing last week, and Tokyo next week. All the Korean tournament had to do was pull her away from the Tier III in China this week.

And the way she's playing, she would get nothing in Filderstadt and Moscow anyway.

Vass22
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
out of interest, does the russian press criticize the two female pole vaulters for blatantly playing the world record bonus system the same way Bubka did? not exactly the same, but has definite parallels.
They both live in Russia and participate in all russian events. :rolleyes:

JonBcn
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Let Venus, whom has not had as stellar a year as Sharapova
and is just as well known around the world try that and she'd
be lambasted left and right on this board and I'm sure some
of these sportwriters would chime in as well! :lol:

It just interesting how over the past two or three year the Williams
have been critisized about being in it for the money.

Now, it's obviously what Sharapova is doing and is all the sudden
somehow just "good business"! :lol:

Lil' salty here! :devil: :p :lol:
If you can find one post where I have EVER criticised either Williams sister for any of their financial deals, I'd say you have a point. If Venus was playing these events, I'd have said the same thing.

You obviously didnt listen to my point in your eagerness to turn this into a double standards vs. the Williams sisters debate. If this Asian swing of the tennis circuit is to survive and prosper, it needs the support of a top player, especially in its infancy. It got it, so I'm glad Sharapova (of whom I'm not even remotely interested otherwise) went to Korea and is defending in Japan. That's all.

the cat
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM
At first I was upset Sharapova wasn't playing Moscow because the first ever Russian Wimbledon champion should be playing the Ladies Kremlin Cup which is a Tier 1 tournament. :( And it's unfortunate that Seoul is between Bejiing and Tokyo because once Maria got a large appearance fee from Seoul there is no way IMG would want Masha to not play there. The Ladies Kremlin Cup is an Octagon event and IMG didn't want Masha to help out Octagon by playing Moscow. And let's be real all tennis players go on a money run if they have the chance to do so. Sharapova is just taking advantage of her opportunities to earn big money in tennis. She chose playing Seoul over playing Moscow for a couple reasons with the most important reason being her large appearance fee. It will seem strange that Sharapova isn't playing Moscow. But she has her reason$. And getting a hefty $300,000 appearance fee from the $100,000 Seoul tournament will make up for her all the criticism she will take for going out of her way to avoid playing Moscow.

Paneru
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:05 PM
If you can find one post where I have EVER criticised either Williams sister for any of their financial deals, I'd say you have a point. If Venus was playing these events, I'd have said the same thing.

Man, I wasn't talking specifically of you.
I meant this board & general tennis media in general! :wavey:

It's okay, I'm over it.
Not salty anymore! :cool:

JonBcn
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:08 PM
Sorry then...when you quoted me I thought it was a direct response :)

Black Mamba.
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
She's gotta make her money, is the Russian press signing her checks? I didn't think so, so it is none of their concern.

Experimentee
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
I dont think its right for players to get so much money just for showing up. Thats why appearance fees were banned in the first place.
And no top 10 player should be playing a tournament like this, it is no contest with the other players and makes the tournament boring.

Experimentee
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM

You obviously didnt listen to my point in your eagerness to turn this into a double standards vs. the Williams sisters debate. If this Asian swing of the tennis circuit is to survive and prosper, it needs the support of a top player, especially in its infancy. It got it, so I'm glad Sharapova (of whom I'm not even remotely interested otherwise) went to Korea and is defending in Japan. That's all.

There are lots of other Tier IV events that are doing ok without top players. Its not as if Asian fans dont want to see tennis without a top player. Tennis is growing a lot in popularity and there are lots of fans who are interested in more than just big names.

the cat
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
The Russian media treated Maria Sharapova like a queen in the Russian media after she won Wimbledon and became the first Russian to win Wimbledon. :) In fact Maria got bigger and better headlines in Russia than Anastasia Myskina did after she became the first Russina to win a grand slam singles title at the French Open. It's only natural that the Russian media will now be upset with Maria for skipping the Ladies Kremlin Cup after winning Wimbledon. I think the Russian media will find it odd that Sharapova who claims to be proud to be Russian has gone out of her way to avoid playing Moscow for 3 straight years. Masha can say what she wants about her schedule and having to play Tokyo. But if she really wanted to play Moscow she would have. No top Russian tennis player has ever skipped Moscow on purpose. Masha is the first. But atleast it's another first for Maria. ;)

Jakeev
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
A tier IV?

Well, with that Wimbledon Fluke she needs to bill back the confidence

What a crappy thing to say. I'm sure your would be pissed off if this was said about Venus.

Let Maria do what she wants. It was good for the tournament and the fans to see a top player they otherwise would not see because no other major tournament is played in Korea.

The Russian Tennis Federation and piss off for all I care if that article is acurate.

*Karen*
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:38 PM
You can understand why russians would be pissed off. Personally I don't care where she plays. But she's going to Korea to play a tier 4 and won't come to russia for a tier 1.

JonBcn
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:50 PM
There are lots of other Tier IV events that are doing ok without top players. Its not as if Asian fans dont want to see tennis without a top player. Tennis is growing a lot in popularity and there are lots of fans who are interested in more than just big names.
Yes, you're absolutely right. But the likes of Camille Pin and Yuliana Fedak aren't exactly going to open the floodgates for people who aren't already tennis fans, are they?

tennischick
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:12 PM
The Russian media treated Maria Sharapova like a queen in the Russian media after she won Wimbledon and became the first Russian to win Wimbledon. :) In fact Maria got bigger and better headlines in Russia than Anastasia Myskina did after she became the first Russina to win a grand slam singles title at the French Open. It's only natural that the Russian media will now be upset with Maria for skipping the Ladies Kremlin Cup after winning Wimbledon. I think the Russian media will find it odd that Sharapova who claims to be proud to be Russian has gone out of her way to avoid playing Moscow for 3 straight years. Masha can say what she wants about her schedule and having to play Tokyo. But if she really wanted to play Moscow she would have. No top Russian tennis player has ever skipped Moscow on purpose. Masha is the first. But atleast it's another first for Maria. ;)and maybe this is why they are slamming her now. maybe they're disappointed that she chose $$ over love of country.

but as i said before in the thread started by GoDom, i have no problems with Maria's decision to play Korea bec she is helping to develop a tourny that would not otherwise attract such attention. also, i assume that she genuinely needs the money bec she is in debt to a whole slew of people who covered the costs of her training program all these years. and she is American enuf to know that you gotta ride that gravy train while it's still moving.

but i can understand why her fellow countrymen must feel hurt by her non-appearance at their largest tourny.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
The big problem I have is that this is just one more example of a sport being run less on the basis of sporting achievement and more on the basis of star power.

vogus
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:37 AM
I think the Russian media will find it odd that Sharapova who claims to be proud to be Russian has gone out of her way to avoid playing Moscow for 3 straight years. Masha can say what she wants about her schedule and having to play Tokyo. But if she really wanted to play Moscow she would have. No top Russian tennis player has ever skipped Moscow on purpose. ;)
exactly. All that "I'm Russian in my soul" talk from Sharapova is completely phony. The other Russians know that she is really an American at heart, and Dementieva has actually said as much in public. I'm sure that's why Sharapova doesn't want to play in Russia.

t_fan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
BTW, there are rumors about Hansol getting Tier II status. And it's said that Masha's participation played major role in this.