PDA

View Full Version : I'm playing the Rolex Invitational this weekend!!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:27 PM
For those who don't know, the Rolex invitational is basically a big college tournament that they break up into different regions (Southern, New England, etc). I'm playing for Ohio Wesleyan University in the Central section. It's a division III tournament, but a lot of division I players are in it just because they can't play D1 anymore due to really bad grades...but anyway, it's in Springfield, Ohio at Wittenberg University...I'm really excited just to get going as it's such a huge tournament, not to mention my very first match at the college level!

My first round looks good on paper, but it really isn't...I drew an unseeded freshman, but this guy also won the Minnesota High School state championships last May. I'll definitely have my work cut out for me and it'll be tough, but I think if I'm on I can pull it out. It's a 128 draw player tournament, and to be honest I'll be very disappointed if I don't reach the 4th round or better. In doubles, my partner and I drew a decent first round, but if we get through that we have to play the #2 seeds from Kenyon, who are ranked top 15 in the country for Division III. I'd actually be psyched to play that if we get through, just because it's a great opportunity to see how I stack up.

I'll let you all know how I do tomorrow. Wish me luck! ;)

brunof
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Hey good luck to you bro! Keep us updated on your progress!

Mase
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Good luck man!!!

AjdeNate!
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:36 PM
:bowdown: You go!!

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:41 PM
A dude from my College in Atlanta won it twice a few years ago...:D

darrinbaker00
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'm sure you'll do well, but if you should lose, it'll be because you played 1,000-10,000 levels below your best, not because your opponent played better. ;)

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I'm sure you'll do well, but if you should lose, it'll be because you played 1,000-10,000 levels below your best, not because your opponent played better. ;)
See if you can get Alves to umpire and if you cant...make sure you use your "hand"...;)

esquímaux
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Have fun babe! :kiss:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:56 PM
See if you can get Alves to umpire and if you cant...make sure you use your "hand"...;)
I don't think they have umpires for this ;) Maybe I'll try out the hand though if it comes down to it though lol.

On top of a tough opponent though, I have an entirely different issue to deal with...I broke the strings on all 3 of rackets ten days ago and gave them to my coach to restring...he hasn't done 1 of them yet :o :fiery: So I've been using his T-1000 ever since lol, which needless to say is a piece of crap. I'll have a couple of my rackets ready for tomorrow, but regardless, I'm going into a huge tournament having not used my own racket for close to two weeks. Lovely...

Hant Hant
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:06 AM
OMG Bradshaw, tell me every update! I'll be cheering for you. :wavey:

Ryan
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:29 AM
Awesome Bradshaw, best of luck tomorrow man.

vettipooh
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:40 AM
Good luck, man. You can do it. Its all about mental toughness. Go break a leg!!..Well not literally!

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:47 AM
Good luck :D:D:D:D

faboozadoo15
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:01 AM
good luck!
question though-- did you play high school tennis in ohio? or did you come from out of state to where you are now? the reason i ask is that i played high school tennis and went to the state final 4 in singles and with my team (finished 3rd) a few years ago, and i may remember you if you guys competed at that level.

"Sluggy"
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Bradsaw#1 - Thanks for sharing that, i wish other talented players would post here cause its really nice to see what you guys / gals do. We say Merde in France to people before events like this, so Merde!

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM
good luck!
question though-- did you play high school tennis in ohio? or did you come from out of state to where you are now? the reason i ask is that i played high school tennis and went to the state final 4 in singles and with my team (finished 3rd) a few years ago, and i may remember you if you guys competed at that level.
I think Bradshaw is from CT...not sure tho...

faboozadoo15
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I think Bradshaw is from CT...not sure tho...
thanks ;)

Dave B
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Good Luck :wavey:

That schedule though :eek:

DeDe4925
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:26 PM
Wishing you all the best Brad!! and a kiss for good luck :kiss:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:09 AM
So I just got back from the tournament a few hours ago...I'll try and make this detailed, but I need to go out and party after having the last couple days I had lol.

Friday-singles 1st round-I ended up losing 6-1 6-3. The guy I played was very solid...just stood 4 feet behind the baseline and hit heavy topspin shots, much like a Smashnova-Pistolesi. This is the one style I've never dealt well with against, just cause it's a better version of my own game lol. On top of that, I was extremely nervous as it was my first college match and it showed. It was literally error after error after error. And just when I thought I hit rock bottom, I grabbed a shovel and started digging:o All my opponent needed to do was just knock balls back (which he was more than capable of) and I missed. I was down 6-1 5-0 at one stage and all I could do was laugh. That bad. Once I was down 5-0, I just started this kamikaze attack out of desperation. After every serve he hit, I chipped and charged, and I started serving and volleying on both my first and second serves. Somehow that worked. I held, broke, and then held for 5-3. I even had a game point to get back on serve at 5-4, but it didn't work out and I lost.

The guy I played was definitely good...should end up making the 4th round. On the other hand...my stats for the match were 22 winners and 51 errors:tape: The only good thing was that 18 of those winners were at net, so I knew I would be OK for my doubles match.

Doubles-first round-My partner and I won 7-6 6-3!!! We were down 4-1 in the first set, mainly because our opponents literally had about 9 or 10 SHANKED winners in 5 games. It was maddening. Once their luck ran out, we picked our games up and started playing very well. My serve and forehand, which let me down in singles, really came alive in the doubles. My 6'5" partner provided some easy holds with big serves as well. It was just a relief to have won my first match at the college level. Our next match would be against the #2 seeds though, who are top 10 in the nation for Divison III

Saturday
Singles-1st round Consolation-I won the match 6-3 6-3. At 3-3 in the first set,I finally figurred out how to play my guy. He was basically a defensive player, so I had to go for more than I normally would like to, and work my way into net, which is where I'm most comfortable anyway. I went up 6-3 5-1 and then my legs turned into jelly. I was incredibly nervous trying to serve out my first college singles win. I completely bombed my service game up 5-2, but I hit a few volley winners and then a forehand drive to wrap up the win...what a relief!

Singles-2nd round consolation-I lost 6-2 6-3, but I actually played very well. My serve FINALLY held up for a singles match...it's usually my strong point, but had been absolutely awful this weekend up until this stage. It was just that my opponent is a streaky player and on this day he came alive. It didn't really have much to do with me. All I could do was knock balls back and just try to hang in, which I did a decent job of doing. However, this kid was a cock. I've never met anybody so obnoxious in my life. He was taunting me the entire match and pulled out gamesmanship tactics for no apparent reason. I refused to shake his hand after the match just because he was such a dick, and my coach even agreed I shouldn't have to. Picture this: In his four matches (he's a freshman like myself) at the college level, a line judge has had to be called out for 3 of them lol.

Doubles-2nd round main draw-Even though we lost, THIS was a fun match. We played the #2 seeds from Kenyon (a top 10 division III team, and this doubles team was ranked in the top 10) on the center court in front of about 70-80 people. Not to mention the match was under the lights. It was about as close to playing in a US Open atmosphere as I'm going to get. We lost 6-2 6-2, but the match was much closer than the score suggests. We had a few chances we didn't take and all the games were close. There were some great rallies as well, but more importantly it was just a fun atmosphere. People were into the match and rallying for us because we were losing...it was really a great feeling.

The one thing I learned about the college level is that there are NO easy matches whatsoever. So this is going to be a really good 4 years for my tennis. It was great to see how I stack up, and now I know what I need to work on for sping season. So yeah...:p

Lee-Waters' Boy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
thanks for sharing :) good luck during the season :yeah:

vettipooh
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
I think its great u took the time to come back and share this info with us .Way to go, Brad.Sorry u lost singles and dubs. Better luck next tourny. go work on the things u need to, and kick butts next time.

vogus
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
You said you'd be very disappointed if you didn't reach the FOURTH round

You should have just concentrated on getting out of the FIRST round

anyway i didn't realize there were any actual live tennis players on this board, so congrats for playing in the Rolex, was a good story, better luck next time...

thelittlestelf
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Good luck at your future tournaments, Bradshaw :yeah:.

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Sorry for your losses! But you'll come back strong, i know it ;)