PDA

View Full Version : Hingis vs Hantsuchova: your call?

tennischick
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:10 AM
i say Hingis in straights. but Hantsuchova will not embarrass herself. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Linton
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:24 AM
I see this becoming a raunchy oppitunity for both girls to do good. Naturally I would say Marty will win but i see this will be no walk over. However I feel a 3 setter. with 2 of the sets being shallow.

aura of daniela
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:26 AM
I think it will be a 3 setter.
Hingis' class and experience may see her win, but Daniela has nothing to lose.
I think whoever win the first set will win the match, and if Daniela win the first set, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins in straight sets.
Dani is really hungry for her first title, so I cant she her letting any chance slip her by if she gets them.

But if we need to make a choice, my dream is Daniela to win...........6-4, 5-7, 6-3 in 2 hours 20 minutes.
Cant get more precise than that.

Simon

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:38 AM
In all honesty?

head says: Hingis will double bagel her or give her no more then 3 games. 6/2 6/1

heart says: Dani will play outta of her mind and hit winners from all over the court. Dani will serve well and not fold under the pressure. Dani will win 7/5 6/4.:)

I hope it is a good match.. as I like tennis. Hope dani can get her first title right here. GO DANI! this kid knows what to do BUT will her mind let her?

Jakeev
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Well Martina is a much craftier player than her compatriot Gagliardi.

I say Martina in two because of her experience and the fact she is playing a cleaner game than Daniela.

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:01 AM
I'll go with Hingis in two sets...6-4 6-2. Danela might be over-awed with the occassion...just my opinion...

Tratree
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:15 AM
I agree that Martina will present more of a challenge, but Daniela can play MUCH better than she did today. This was her worst match of the week, probably because of nerves. I hope she got them out of the way and can play her game on Saturday. I'm putting my money on three sets and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Daniela pulls off the upset.

per4ever
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:21 AM
I would go for the surprise: Daniela beats Hingis in three sets.

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:24 AM
3 set match with Martina as the victor. :)

Jeff
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:32 AM
I think that in the future Daneila is going to win many, many titles; however, not tomorrow.

Daniela has had a tremendous tournament and has been very impressive, however she has yet to play any player like Hingis. Daniela has a big game, but Hingis' consistency, I think, is going to wear Daniela down. Daniela is the type of player who likes to dominate points and finish them off quickly. Unless she his line after line after line, Martina is going to get a lot of those shots back and I just think that Daniela's confidence will not remain the same as it has been this week.

I'll say Martina in 2 sets; the first set being the closest.

Go Martina ;)

EVAspeed
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:44 AM
daniela wants it... i'm for her.

what i think what will happen tomorrow? no clue.

louisa2k2
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM
I would say hingis cos daniela has had trouble finishing off matches against higher ranked players. though i think it will be close.

moby
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:13 AM
2 close sets with marti winning 7-5 6-3

Tatiana Panova
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
I think it is just a lottery and it is so cool, because they are from the same country (Martina's first language is Slovakian). I think that if Daniela is not nervous she could definitely win. Hingis is crafty but if Daniela can get some big blows in and follow them into the net, Martina could be history.

destructo_girl
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:43 AM
I think (and hope) Martina will win it.

I reckon Daniela's going to put in a great effort, she's not one to go down without a fight.

But it depends on Martina. I think if Martina underestimates her, it'll go to three sets, but it won't take Martina long to re-adjust.
But I don't think Martina will underestimate Daniela, seeing how much Martina thinks of Daniela as a player, so hopefully, Martina will win it in two.

matthias
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM
hingis 7:5 6:1

but i hope daniela can surprise us

veronica
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Daniela has the tools. She could take it to Hingis. Maybe not win but at least make Martina break a sweat. I hope she uses them. I hate seeing blow outs in any final.

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:21 PM
I am for Dani, but I think Hingis will make it. She is the more experienced player of the two.

GO DANI!!!

Ryan
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Does anyone remember when Bedanova beat Seles. then got shell shocked by Hingis in the next round? Hantuchova will be no different.

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:43 PM
bedanova is not Dani, you know... she will not be shocked by hingis, for sure not! ;)

Daniel
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Hingis in two!!!!

GO MARTINA!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

victory1
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Hingis in 2, Hingis is a much better player then Henin. Plus experience is on her side, I don't see her losing this match.

vw43
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Hingis in two - 6-3, 6-2.

I think Daniela has a very bright future..and really long legs...but I'm sure she'll be nervous and against a veteran like Hingis, I just don't see her giving Hingis too much trouble..in a year or so I do..:)

GogoGirl
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:16 PM
First of all, Kudos to Martina for taking out Monica. Monica seemed to be playing too lethargic (sp) last evening. Who knows why her timing was off. Martina played agressively from the get go - because she was more determined to win. + She believed strongly in her abilities - whereas; Monica did not seem to have the confidence needed to beat a confident Martina - IMO.

I picked Martina to win this tourney - like so many others did - but now - I gotta wonder. In the below article - towards the end, Martina admits she likes to practice w/the youngsters so she can size up the competition. That's all well and fine - for the most part - but it also can come back to bite her - right on the ankle. Alas - Jelena at Wimby in 1999. I know they didn't practice together - but, she more than likely took Jelena for granted. She may make the same mistake on 3/16/02 - playing Daniela.

I agree w/cyb - in the "Venus Clone" thread that we weren't saying literally that Daniela was a Venus clone. I didn't mean to imply that I thought Daniela was a Venus clone. I meant they had similar games. And I agree w/the ones that mentioned the fact that Daniela likes that open stance position - like the Sisters. That is definitley a similarity between them - and there are a few others - IMO.

Otherwise, Daniela is definitely one of a kind. That is why, I will reverse my position, that Martina will win this one. I may have to spit these words back out - but I'm picking Daniela in two straight sets, or it may take her three. She will be a little nervous playing Martina, but I would bet big bucks that her coach will tell her to hang loose - and go for her shots - so she will get over her nervousness really fast. She knows, she will be on center stage - and soon enough, she will begin to be filled w/gritty determination. I can't believe that she will go down to Martina like Monica did. Her coach will tell her, she has nothing to lose - for she had already attained her goal of performing well in this tourney, and she has proven that she has performed well enough to make the finals.

That being said - she should swing from the hips and off of both sides - and put that pedal to the medal. She needs to play her game - and use her power against Martina. And she should blow Martina's second serves out of the water. Martina may win on her skills and experience - and this is true - but Daniela may win by utilizing her physical abilities, heart and determination. If Martina wins - then good on her - for she is one of the top competitors on the planet - but she may have to move ova - darling.

I disagree that Martina will win in two easy sets. But - I have been wrong many times before. Hopefully, Daniela will watch some Martina tapes - and sum up what it will take to beat her. Another thing that she has that reminds me of Venus - is that she seems to be a very fast learner - and she has proven that she has a winner's mentality. She won one mixed doubles title last year also - so she has gotten used to the feeling of being crowned a winner by her peers.

So - "COME ON DANIELA" "STAND YOUR GROUND - AND POUND - POUND - POUND" "SHOW YOUR ELDER STATESWOMAN - NO RESPECT" "WIPE UP THE COURTS W/HER - AND/OR JUST DO YOUR BEST"

By LISA DILLMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER

INDIAN WELLS -- Martina Hingis, the thinker, might make the same mental mistake once or twice. But three times?

That's quite rare.

Consider her recent record against Monica Seles. In less than a week last summer, she was fairly pounded by the powerful, angled groundstrokes of Seles, losing in straight sets in San Diego and in three at Manhattan Beach in August. "I was probably a little surprised the way she came out, just kind of underestimated her," Hingis said. "But not since then."

Hingis has defeated Seles three straight times after the Southern California lesson, and the most emphatic victory was Thursday night in the semifinals at the Pacific Life Open. The second-seeded Hingis beat No. 4 Seles, 6-3, 6-2, in 59 minutes at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, dropping serve just once and winning 10 of 11 points at the net.

"I played very well," said Hingis, who has lost to Seles only twice in their last 12 meetings. "I was really out there from the first point on. I haven't played a match like this in a while. I'm very happy about it. I had a little confidence going into this match because I knew I was playing well throughout the whole tournament."

Said Seles: "I struggled yesterday and today again. I couldn't find my rhythm. That was really it. I just made error after error and Martina played too good. I guess she made me hit those errors."

Awaiting Hingis is a surprise teenage finalist. And not any of the usual highly regarded teenagers, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin or Daja Bedanova. Earlier, 18-year-old Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia survived a nerve-racking semifinal against Emmanuelle Gagliardi of Switzerland, winning, 4-6, 6-0, 6-4, in 2 hours 10 minutes.

This will be her first final. She reached two semifinals last year, indoors at Oklahoma City and on grass at Birmingham. This will be Hingis' fourth final in 2002.

"I can't ask for more," Hantuchova said. "It's so exciting for me, to be first time in the final and playing one of the best players in the world at a major tournament like this. I'm so happy just to be here. I'm enjoying every minute here."

Hingis has taken a close interest in the progress of Hantuchova. They have practiced together and Hingis watched her matches this week, including the final two sets of the semifinal.

"I would have thought that maybe she wins that one a little easier," Hingis said. "It's always a little nerve-racking. She was in a different position, playing [Justine] Henin, nothing to lose. This time she had to prove it."

On Thursday, Hingis and Melanie Molitor, her mother and coach, started reminiscing about Hingis' early days on the tour. Molitor asked her daughter about whether she was nervous before her first semifinal.

"It was the U.S. Open when I played the semifinals," she said. "But I played Steffi Graf there. It was a little different playing Steffi Graf than Emmanuelle Gagliardi."

Hantuchova, ranked 26th, will move up to at least No. 18 when new rankings are released Monday. If she wins the tournament, she will move to No. 17. She started the year at No. 38 and the recent progress has caused her to do some rethinking.

"Last year, at the end of the year, I wanted to be in the top 20 by the end of the next year, and I'm already there," she said. "So now I have to set up the next goal."

The 25-year-old Gagliardi, now ranked 70th, will break into the top 50 at No. 46 and was delighted to receive the news, beaming at the information. She recorded her best result and frustrated Hantuchova with a series of drop shots, including one in the fourth game of the third set that spun away from the Slovak with some wicked backspin.

"I had an easy ball," Gagliardi said. "I am pretty natural. I always express myself. I think it was a clever shot at that point."

She said she likes to express herself. What part of her personality did that shot express? "You need a psychologist to answer this," Gagliardi said.

Hingis is more familiar with the game of Gagliardi since they played Fed Cup together for Switzerland. She said she likes to practice with youngsters like Bedanova and Hantuchova, getting an early glimpse at the competition.

"You now, kind of test them a little bit, like they've been testing me," she said. "I test them now."

sartrista7
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Daniela has all the weapons to beat Hingis, but I doubt she'll do it tomorrow. Hingis is in pretty stunning form so far, and seems to have her eye fixed firmly on the trophy. However, I'd predict a first three-setter: Daniela's win over Henin finally got her a win over a top player, and she has absolutely nothing to lose in this match. If she loosens up and goes for her shots, things could get interesting. Go Dani! :bounce:

Vanity
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:42 PM
It will all come down to the experience. This is Dani's first final and also a Tier I event. Dani is more than capable of beating Martina and she very well could, but this is also her first final, so even if she loses, she's still accomplished quite a bit! There will be many more finals this year for Daniela if she does not make it here. :cool:

Hingis will most likely win in two tough sets... something like 6-4 7-6.

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Hingis will win due to her vast experience. It might be over in a short 2 sets if Hingis is playing well... :)

If Hingis is off and Daniela doesn't crumble under the pressure of the match, she might take it to 3 sets, but I don't think she will win.

saby
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Martina will win for sure, I don't see how she can not win it.

In finale Hingis is more dangerous than a first round

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Light-skinned Girl
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Hantsuchova *is* talented but Hingis's *experience* in big matches will be the deciding factor. Hingis in two competitive sets.

cmasters
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Hingis 6-1,6-2

TSequoia01
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:19 PM
The way the match goes depends on how agressive Daniela is. She must attack Hingis at every turn and not get into long rallies. She must come to net all day long after putting Martina on the defensive. If she can keep Martina on the defensive, she can win. If not it will be tough. The Sisters have made Martina very familar with her style.

Daniela "Lil Venus" Hantuchova

argentino
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:07 PM
will win hingis :fiery: , in 2 very eays sets

but, i can dream...so GO DANIELA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , YOU HAVENīT EXPERIENCE , BUT YOU HAVE A GREAT TALENT, AND MOREOVER HINGIS CAN HAVE A INJURY :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

but as ever her injurys arenīt reals :eek:

Sanneriet
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Hingis in two. Hantuchova is not ready and Hingis is merciless (a good thing) against unsteady opponents.

Ryan
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Hingis will win, no question about it. Dani has no experience in finals what so ever, and has never played Hingis. Dani could be in awe of several things a) Hingis b) being in such a big final

There are so amny things that could wrack Dani's confidence, Hingis just needs to keep the ball in play. If Hantuchova plays confidently, sure of all her shots, Hingis will raise her game and play better.

I can't see Hantuchova winning this one at all.

angele87
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Although I would love it if Daniela won, my head says Martina... I'm predicting 7/5 6/2

Playa
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:27 PM
well... daniella is a power player and Hingis has a lot of troubles against power players, but lucky for her Dani IS NOT a hard hitter...
and hingis is one of the best counterpuncher.

but don't take anything for granted if the kid loosens up ,Hingis may suffer the same fate than Henin...

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Martina should win in straight sets. But I hope Daniela can win her first title here.

GO DANIELA:wavey:

Martian Mel
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:58 PM
The people who are saying that Dani will win in two sets probably haven't seen the Hingis-Seles match. The commentator from eurosport said : Martina is so fast and is using her skills so well that she forces Monica to take a lot of risks. I can't believe that people actually think that Seles was below par , like the commentator said:Seles is doing nothing wrong at all , she is playing very good but she is facing an oppponent who is better at every single bit of the game except the second serve. Martina was even serving better than Monica.
If we will see that Martina back in the final than i think that the match will be over in a hour.:angel:

GO martina! Life's a bitch and so am i;)

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:29 PM
QUEEN VEE's titles in 2002:

- (III) Gold Coast
- (II) Open Gaz de France
- (II) Proximus Diamond Games
(but not the Australian Open.. that was won by somebody else. )

look, it's Milli Vanilli!

Vanity, you should add 2001 titles too
:rolleyes:

joao
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Hantuchova will be agressive because it's the only way a player can win against Hingis!!!! You can not play her same little game or you'll lose.....Hingis is too good on the defensive and at bringing balls back! She doesn't make UE (not a lot!) and has great fitness!

I watched Hantuchova's SF last night and I think Hantuchova has a chance! She won't be the favourite so she will have less pressure (although she'll have the pressure of being in a big final for the 1st time!). But she can handle the pressure. She bagelled Gagliardi after having lost the 1st set! So she knows how to put herself together after a small disaster. And she'll need it because i think hingis will probably break her once or twice to win the 1st set.
Hantuchova has a lot of weapons.....good 1st serve, solid 2d serve, good depth, very solid backhand (cross-court and down the line) and good groundstrokes! Her weakness.......I think her forehand.She made way too many UE on that side and Hingis has already figured that out and will probably be all over her forehand side!!!! So if Hantuchova can cut some UE on that side, and remain solid all match long, she will definitely extend the match to a 3-setter. So then anything is possible......

But my guess though is that Hingis will still prevail and will bring her 2d TierI of the year home! Hantuchova has nothing to lose here, while Hingis has to prove she really dominates everyone ranked below her and won't lose another big final this year! But, Hantuchova will be very happy even if she loses the match...

Ryan
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Hingis will win in two.

Gets a little repetitive.

LifeWasADisaster
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Hingis 6-2, 6-4

Martian Martin
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Martina will win this, but Daniela will give her a good test. It could all depend on how both players start, because if Marti gets on top of Daniela right away, then it could make a huge difference to the score. I think Marti will win in straight sets though, although it will be close.

tennischick
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:30 AM
here's a lovely C/P i found at ********************

DANIELA WITH A BULLET

Daniela Hantuchova: top-10 by the end of April.

Thank god for the all-Slovakia native final between Martina Hingis and Daniela, where brain cells and not brawn will rule the day. ...

Monica Seles says that she's not the type of player to change strategy, even though she is 4-15 against Hingis. Since she's never going to become any faster due to her bad feet, how exactly does she expect to get over on a healthy Hingis? She says she doesn't know herself. That's troubling. ...

Seles says that women's tennis is much more exciting than men's. There are days when the women rule and the men trudge along, but how many times over the past year have we stood salivating over an anticipated women's match up and then watched a blowout, like Hingis' 6-3, 6-2 wipeout of Monica on Thursday night.

Plus, given that the Williamses, Capriati and Davenport weren't at Indian Wells, it was a great time for the WTA to show its so-called depth. But instead of having four to five kids like Hantuchova race into the quarters, the only other youngster to show up in a big way was Alexandra Stevenson, then she got tight against veteran Amanda Coetzer.

Thank God for the smooth, ambitious Hantuchova.

http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/Hantuchova_cl_iw_02.jpg