PDA

View Full Version : Chinese names

Sammm
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Why do all the Chinese players' surnames and forenames get mixed up all the time?
Peng Shuai in called Shuai Peng, Zheng Jie is called Jie Zheng. Which is correct? :confused:
Thanks for any info you have :kiss:

Also which chinese players do you like best?

TS
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
This question always seems to pop up.

In China, they are addressed by surname first. So Jie Zheng, thus becomes Zheng Jie.

My favourite Chineseplayer is Na :D Li :D

Experimentee
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:54 PM
This question gets asked now as often as people asking why Maria is called Masha etc :lol:
A sign of good things for Chinese tennis I guess!

I like all the Chinese players but my favourite is Tian Tian Sun.

Zhao
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:14 PM
yah my name is zhao ying so i can imagine myself being addressed as ying zhao in the west :haha:

anyway chinese are addressed by their surnames/first name first...
btw Li Na is my fave right now... :yeah:

Chunchun
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:39 PM
me like all :)

jrm
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:44 PM
The easiest way to remember is to put the surname in capital letters

ex hopman
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:13 AM
Sugiyama Ai
Asagoe Shinobu

We are following Chinese cultures...

I like Tian Tian Sun, Sun Tian Tian? Tian Sun Tian?
She was nice when I saw her in California.

Sammm
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys :hug: I won'y have to ask anymore :)

Cassius
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
I asked that question (why do Chinese names keep swapping round),to the owner of the local Chinese takeaway when the Olympics was on, and he said Chinese people put their surname first.
So the 110m Hurdles champ's names is Xiang Liu, or is it Liu Xiang?
Trouble is, I'm not sure which is his family name and which is his given name:o.

AKTW
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM
We call him Liu Xiang.
Liu is his surname.

ex hopman
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
When I was a little, my question was
"Why western people switch their last name and first name!?!? First name first is soooo weird."

That was my question!!

Experimentee
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
I didnt know they also did it in Japan. Interesting. Is it all Asian countries then? I dont think they do it in Thailand.

Grachka
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
...yet I have never seen Mao Tse-Tung refered to as Tse-Tung Mao in any context, how come we can get this right but the sportsmen/women wrong all the time!

I personally favour the idea of capitalising chinese family names so we would see -

LI Na
ZHENG Jie
LIU Xiang

etc.

The first question any ignorant westener would automatically ask is "why is the first name in capitals?" then their better informed friend would tell them "because that's the family name, in chinese the family names comes first"

result = end of confusion :-)

Why stop there? We can all capitalise our names so that Chinese people can understand our system....

e.g. KIM Clijsters, CHANDA Rubin, ROGER Federer.

This could take off ;)

maccardel
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
I guess by this thread, it means that the Chinese are coming. Who will be the chinese sex symbol? Who will be the chinese LIndsay or the Chinese Serena? Maybe the chinese E.Dementia...come on, there are a lot of threads we can create based on the new brigade.

Seriously, I am happy to see chinese players stepping up to the plate. It is good to see that, but I keep wondering when is Canada going to do something and step up to the plate with their players.

geegables
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
no not all asian countries do this lol...

comig from a filipino origin we don't... but the thing we do is we keep our mothers maiden name...

so say Mark Valencia and Christina Balmores

if they named their girl Katrina

it would be Katrina Balmores Valencia

other filo's back me up??

Experimentee
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
no not all asian countries do this lol...

comig from a filipino origin we don't... but the thing we do is we keep our mothers maiden name...

so say Mark Valencia and Christina Balmores

if they named their girl Katrina

it would be Katrina Balmores Valencia

other filo's back me up??

I think the Spanish do that as well. The Filipino's were once controlled by the Spaniards i think, so that would make sense. The names are more Spanish-influenced than Asian influenced.

Experimentee
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
"We" need not do anything, how the Chinese choose to translate western names is entirely a matter for them, but as they use a system of symbols rather than letters the idea of capitalising is totally irrelevant.

Obviously the Asians who read this board can read English and not just characters, so it is relevant :rolleyes: