PDA

View Full Version : Kim and Justine in a slum?

billybizar
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:03 AM
I know I'm a bit late but I got this to get off my chest anyway.

I'm very disappointed Kim and Justine have lost so early in a big tournament. It must have been more than a year this has happened before (playing at the same tournament). About Kim I can understand because she's injured and she was sick as well (I fear she's gonna have a very difficult year though) but concerning Justine... Anyone read her comments after the match? "Daniela was already playing well in practice. I got worried and when we played the actual match I became very nervous". Common now! If you ask me, that's not a healthy attitude from a topten player, is it? She has already lost the match in her head, beforehand!
What a fine opportunity she's missed here. Possible free road to the final... It's clear Justine lacks attitude. She's great in playing the underdog but when it comes to confirming her status as a topten player in playing lower ranked (and often less talented) opponnents she freezes up completely, the old demons simply take over. Of course there's nothing wrong with loosing to lower ranked ones, and I would have understand if she was able to put up a fight but always blaming the mentally aspects is really starting to annoy me. That sportpsychologist she hired last year has a lot of work to do. A LOT! And he better makes sure he's worth the money and deliver the goods because frankly, by the end of the year I don't think Justine will still be a topten player, let alone that ambitious number one spot she's after.
:fiery: :fiery:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:09 AM
well in all fairness justine did make two finals this year. and i think she really really needs to think twice about practicing with the competition if its going to affect her like that.

billybizar
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Sure, but she lost them both. In Antwerp she merely played three matches in which the match against Patty Schnyder was a real struggle with herself (really close finish), prooving my point she's mentally very unstable and not playing in such a reliable way as Kim does.
In the final against Venus Williams we saw again a reborn Justine playing the way she most likely does: underdog style. Great tennis, but, sadly, in the end, it didn't pay off once again.
Btw, final spots in TierII,III are not the whole story. I estimate the AO semi-final of Kim much higher than her victories in Leipzig and Luxemburg for example and nothing can beat Justine's Wimbledon final despite victories in Gold Coast, 's Hertogenbosch, ... because it's only in GSs we can really notice all qualities of the player's spectrum.
But you are right, she should not play the competition in practice.
I really wonder why this seems so important for them. It's a bit like a chessplayer who reveals his tactics to his opponent before he even makes a move.

The Crow
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:37 PM
I'm not worried about Justine's IW loss. I am concerned though at her being unable to beat anyone of the topplayers recently (it must have been from her Wibledon semifinal win against Jennifer that she won from a topplayer).

Kim? I wouldn't worry about her at all

arn
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Kim will be playing as a top-5 once her arm is 100%, you can be sure about that! She will come back strong! Even without all the points she couild have gained recently, she will end the year in the top-5 :)

Justine is another thing... I expect her to lose early in Miami, but probably she will have a good clay-season. I hope she gains some mental strength but it will always be her #1 problem.

irma
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Kim played well in Sydney and Australia despite that she had to hold back because of her arm, if she can play a decent number of tournaments and is fit then I am not worry that she will not end in the top 10 this year(I keep the expectations low:D)

about Justine I found that comment realy weird,though competition should be a challenge for her not make her scared!

billybizar
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Nice to see you have all much confidence in Kim because, of course, she's my number 1 player as well. But, blame it on my pessimistic nature, I have a slight feeling, this year is not going to be succesful as the previous one. Cutting back the number of tournies throughout the year due to a serious injury problem is not a good omen if you ask me and let's hope she can win the first round(s) in Miami because otherwise she will only have played two matches in two months. And (if I'm correct) with the 3 week break she has in prospect after Miami this will definitely not add up to a consistent play rythm.

I really hope i'm dead wrong anyway!

GO KIM GO JUSTINE!!!!