PDA

View Full Version : Please Read This Impartially!

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I am not a Sharapova hater, in fact, I'm one of her fans! I think that Sharapova, along with Golovin, are the two players whom Serena, upon her retirement, will pass the baton to as tennis SUPERSTAR! The three of them have similar games and appeal to many groups of people.

HOWEVER, I can NO longer, as a TENNIS fan, allow all of this, "Maria is the best ever," nonsense to continue. I agree that one day soon, with lots of work, Maria can win more grand slams and maybe even be #1 in the world, but here are some reasons why Maria is in NO positon, yet, to be labeled, "THE BEST EVER!"

1. She has, apart from her Wimbledon glory (which stands right now to be labeled a, "One Slam Wonder") beaten only ONE top 10 player on the year, WHILE THEY WERE RANKED IN THE TOP 10: Dementieva in Rome in the Round of 32.

2. She has reached the quarterfinals or better in a whopping 6 events (including Wimbledon). However, on the year, she has played 15 (Korea will make #16, and if she doesn't win....GOD KNOWS!)

3. Three of her 4 career titles are Tier III's. That's all well and good for a 2-year rookie, BUT she has contested 6 of them.

Maria is good, but all of this pressure everyone is putting on her so early is causing her to give BULLSHIT excuses like, "I'm only 17." I'm sorry, but once you win the most prestigious grand slam near the time when most girls are freaking out about the SAT's and Jr. Prom, then you're gonna have losts of expectations...comes with the job. No I am not in her shoes, but perhaps instead of making excuses, she should WORK ON HER MENTAL ASPECTS. She has the capability of beating ANYONE, but until she fixes the one part of her body that won't drive men into raving erections (her BRAIN), she won't win another tournament.

YOU CAN DO IT MASHA!!!!

switz
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:01 AM
hate to break it to you but you kind of wasted you time writing that because all those 'insights' have already been stated about a thousand times.

i don't like sharapova but to me there seems to be more people posting about how wrong it is for everyone to say she is the greatest player than there are people actually saying it.

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Hpwever, ironically, I think had Sharapova lost in that Wimbledon Final, she would have kicked ass this summer on hardcourts and kicked some major ass at the USO this year. Wimbledon has stunted the natural progression of her game (I mean, look at her this year at the French Open - flawless until the QF).

She will be a bad bitch when she's Serena's age. Serena will have reitred, then I can be Maria's fan then! :yeah:

Lemonskin.
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Who is saying Sharapova is the greatest ever? I've not heard that even once!!!

Ekkekko
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM
I am reading this thread impartially..;)

t_fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:43 AM
...she would have kicked ass this summer on hardcourts and kicked some major ass at the USO this year...I believe she'd do this hadn't she lost the heartbreaker @ San Diego. There her post-Wimbledon confidence was shattered IMHO.

tennnisfannn
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:15 AM
The age factor gets lost on many people. That she could do it at 17 says alot about a player's career. Hingis won at 16 and went on to win 5 slams, serena won at 17 and has won 6 and counting. Winning young allows for so much more, slumps included. Right now we watch Sveta at 19 and know there is still room for so much more. Personally I expect maria to win no less than 5 slams health permitting!

*Karen*
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I think too much is expected of Maria since she won wimbledon. I do expect her to win more slams although not for a couple of years. She says I'm 17 because everyone needs to realise that she is a young girl just building her career up.

Martian Willow
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I am reading this thread impartially..;)

I read it partially. I'm a skimmer.

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
to me there seems to be more people posting about how wrong it is for everyone to say she is the greatest player than there are people actually saying it. Exactly!

raquel
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Who is saying Sharapova is the greatest ever? I've not heard that even once!!!
bandabou. He means it, too :lol:

Sammm
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Wasn't Davenport top 10 when she beat her???????

jacobruiz
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I've never heard anyone say Maria is "the best ever", except Bandabou. I've heard people say she COULD be the best ever but that's just speculation.

After all, Maria is only seventeen.:)

Experimentee
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM
A lot of people in the media, commentators etc were saying shes the best thing ever. And saying it seriously too :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Somebody asked for me?! Of course Maria IS the greatest ever...Martina N herself said this and Tracy as well...didnīt you guys hear how she kept saying: I told ya, I told ya..

Sheīs been going through a rough patch lately, but those were at run of the mill tournaments. Wimbledon is the ONLY tournament that matters. Who cares about the San Diegoīs, New Havenīs, U.s.openīs of this world?!

Maria won Wimbledon so sheīs the greatest ever.

tennisIlove09
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I think commentators, media ect. are just excited to see such a bright star in the making. Wimbledon was bound to be blown out of the water just because it was so out of no where...the way she won it was amazing :worship: I love her, and think she's awesome. Go Maria!

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
It's funny; I don't recall ONE commentator saying that; nor do I remember reading an article stating she is the best thing ever.
Yes, because of course if you didnt hear it, It wasnt said. Does that mean you dont have a life outside of tennis? Quite possibly.

CooCooCachoo
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Bandabou :yawn:

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I don't recall saying that. Maybe you need some reading comprehension lessons?

I asked: Seriously, who's saying she's the best thing ever? Of course I can't listen to every tennis channel of the world or read every tennis article of the world, which is exactly why I asked the question.
And did Bandabou not say, Tracy Austin, Martina Nav, etc.?????? Where's your reading comprehension skills?

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
They only problem is that, to the best of my knowledge:

1) Tracy Austin never said Sharapova is the best thing ever.

2) Martina Navratilova never said Sharapova is the best thing ever.

then you got it wrong....

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM
They only problem is that, to the best of my knowledge:

1) Tracy Austin never said Sharapova is the best thing ever.

2) Martina Navratilova never said Sharapova is the best thing ever.
I read the Martina Nav quote, and thats exactly what she said. There you have 2 sources to substantiate it. Do you belive it now?

http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif

mishar
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM
This happens to every teenager who has precocious success. People are envious or whatever and they hate them. It happened to Monica, to Venus and Serena... Does anyone else remember the furious debates over whether V and S would ever win a grand slam? Or if Serena's 99 win was a fluke? Blah, blah, blah...

No one can know what will happen, but winning a slam at 17, beating Serena and Lindsay, is a good indication of future success. I have not heard anyone -- certainly not Tracy Austin or Martina Nav -- talking about her as "the best ever." They talked about her as a future star, a possible #1.

jacobruiz
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM
It's funny; I don't recall ONE commentator saying that; nor do I remember reading an article stating she is the best thing ever.
People, including Tracey and Martina N. have certainly complimented Maria, but I think that "best ever" thing is one of those urban myths (or "tennis myths")! Nobody has been able to document it!;)

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I read the Martina Nav quote, and thats exactly what she said. There you have 2 sources to substantiate it. Do you belive it now?

http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif

Tjaaa.....some people just wonīt believe the truth.

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
No kidding!! Look at us: discussing, fighting, crying..throwing videos out of the room, losing sleep...while them girls themselves are sleeping in 5-star hotels, are already millionaires win or lose and will probably donīt even give us an autograph....:lol:

But you know what: I still rocks!! :bounce: :lol: Please read this all...:angel:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM
It was during Wimbledon today...it was in one of those daily columns Martina was writing for a newspaper or something....

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Please read this all...:angel:

:lol: I hear ya...Frank. But it is people who called my name in this thread..Maria is the greatest..17 year old playing!

Martian Willow
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Erm...'best thing ever' is not the same as 'best tennis player ever' or even 'best ever'. Everyone knows melted cheese in puff pastry is the best thing ever.

tennisIlove09
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:33 PM
maybe they meant she has the POTENTIAL to be the best ever. I really don't remember any Austin or Navratilova quote that says Maria is the best thing ever. Please provide the article/link of where they said that...and you know it would have been published ;)

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
:lol: I hear ya...Frank. But it is people who called my name in this thread..Maria is the greatest..17 year old playing! Your post just reminded me that if Maria would read this thread she would probably take a look at her bank account and then start laughing her ass off about this discussion...:p

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Your post just reminded me that if Maria would read this thread she would probably take a look at her bank account and then start laughing her ass off about this discussion...:p

:lol: And just from this week alone...$ 200.000.....will I ever earn that much in my career?!Hmmm......donīt think so. :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Good post,although "I'm only 17" is no bullshit excuse since she's telling the truth. She IS 17. I don't really know what else she COULD say. You can't expect her to say,"I lost because I'm an overrated player." Besides,she doesn't need any excuses because she isn't obligated to win anything. If people expect her to take the world by storm now that she's the Wimbledon champ and they choose to call what has been a pretty good season by normal standards failure,the problem is theirs,not Maria's.

Maria is good, but all of this pressure everyone is putting on her so early is causing her to give BULLSHIT excuses like, "I'm only 17." I'm sorry, but once you win the most prestigious grand slam near the time when most girls are freaking out about the SAT's and Jr. Prom, then you're gonna have losts of expectations...comes with the job. No I am not in her shoes, but perhaps instead of making excuses, she should WORK ON HER MENTAL ASPECTS. She has the capability of beating ANYONE, but until she fixes the one part of her body that won't drive men into raving erections (her BRAIN), she won't win another tournament.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah,but they probably wanted to say that "she's the best thing ever" in the sense that she creates a lot of interest for tennis (which is true I guess),not that she's the best player ever.

A lot of people in the media, commentators etc were saying shes the best thing ever. And saying it seriously too :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Now Chrissie....apart from the grass season, it hasnīt been THAT great either...

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:26 PM
True,but winning on grass isn't inferior to winning on clay or hardcourts. Seventeen years old,ranked in the top 20,Wimbledon champ......it ain't Serena,Chrissie,Steffi,Monica,Martina H or Martina N,but I bet that most players would sign for it.

Now Chrissie....apart from the grass season, it hasnīt been THAT great either...

Joana
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Do you think it's logical, realistic, beliveable etc. that Martina called Sharapova the best ever? :rolleyes:

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:47 PM
The best ever tennis player? No,I find that hard to believe,but it's possible that she called Sharapova "the best THING ever." An exaggeration,sure,but similarly I can imagine people who care about the popularity of the game saying that Anna Kournikova was "the best THING ever,"since she put bums on seats.

Do you think it's logical, realistic, beliveable etc. that Martina called Sharapova the best ever? :rolleyes:

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:02 PM
:lol: And just from this week alone...$ 200.000.....will I ever earn that much in my career?!Hmmm......donīt think so. :lol: You probably will...But that's not the point here of course...;)

Oh well...Discussions like this keep being a fan interesting...:lol:

Kort vraagje: Hoe zou jij "Het is allang verleden tijd" in het Engels vertalen?

jacobruiz
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:03 PM
What's logic and realism got to do with it?:mad:

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:23 PM
What's logic and realism got to do with it?:mad: :haha:

What's the :mad: for?

tennischick
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
hate to break it to you but you kind of wasted you time writing that because all those 'insights' have already been stated about a thousand times.

i don't like sharapova but to me there seems to be more people posting about how wrong it is for everyone to say she is the greatest player than there are people actually saying it.:worship: :worship:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
You probably will...But that's not the point here of course...;)

Oh well...Discussions like this keep being a fan interesting...:lol:

Kort vraagje: Hoe zou jij "Het is allang verleden tijd" in het Engels vertalen?

allang verleden tijd?! Hmm.....Iīd say: Itīs all in the past now..

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
True,but winning on grass isn't inferior to winning on clay or hardcourts. Seventeen years old,ranked in the top 20,Wimbledon champ......it ain't Serena,Chrissie,Steffi,Monica,Martina H or Martina N,but I bet that most players would sign for it.

Of course...

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
allang verleden tijd?! Hmm.....Iīd say: Itīs all in the past now.. Bedankt voor je suggestie...;)

jacobruiz
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
:haha:

What's the :mad: for?
Just pretending.:D

Frank
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Just pretending.:D That was not funny! :mad:

:p;)