PDA

View Full Version : Hingis comments on Serena!

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:56 AM
There has been an interview with Martina Hingis in the latest edition of the German tennis magazine "Matschball". One of the questions was about Serena. I have tried my best to translate Martina's answer. Here it is:

"Playing her it always felt like playing a steamroller. No subtlety, no finesse, just raw, loud power. To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become no.1.
Serena has been struggling a bit in recent times, she hasn't won a slam this year. One reason might be that there are now more and more players coming up who are just as powerful as her but also do some thinking on the court."

What do you think about her statements?

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:58 AM
I think a lot got lost in your translation, so I am withholding comment.

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:01 AM
My translation is definitely not perfect, but basically that's what she said.
I will try to find an online version of the interview though, then you can check yourself.

ptkten
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I have some doubt that she would say that, especially that she didn't respect her game. However, if she did I'd be disappointed, because in a lot of ways Serena has become a very intelligent player on the court.

ĪCharlDaĪ
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Martina is still there with her bad mouth......why would she change?

Siyasema
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:04 AM
An example of why I don't care if Serena isn't "gracious" enough to some opponents.

sabandborg
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:09 AM
German magazine, German poster, partisan interpreter, the comments sound alot more like Hinquit than others I've read. Put it all in the melting pot and viola -----------> bs stew.

Janet
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Martina Hinges will always be jealous of the Williams, she quite early in her prime because she could not handle the game anymore too hard & too fast for her so she is still pist deep down inside her................and look at her know can not keep away from the game, she need to go find a new career!!! and one other thing she will always be jealous of the williams they have other careers and not just tennis, Martina always live and breath tennis and she don't know what to do with herself just make comments about the williams..........she needs a LIFE!!!!!!

kabuki
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:27 AM
I guess Martina's beautiful game wasn't enough to keep her in it. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Mr_Molik
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:42 AM
:haha: great quote martina :worship:

Diesel
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:50 AM
:haha: great quote martina :worship:

Ah the general hypocrisy. The same people bitching about Serena applaud Martina
:rolleyes:

vettipooh
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:06 AM
If those comments are true, then she's really revealing her true reason for retiring..the finesse broad just couldn't handle Serena's "raw loud power', so she quit...coward!!!!

UDiTY
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:10 AM
I hate it when people say that "so and so is all power." I just think that is pure B.S. Sure hitting the ball harder is better than hitting it soft. So if you don't have much power...hit the gym.

Serena's technique, timing, fight, and mental toughness ought to count for something. :rolleyes:

But on the other hand Martina and Serena have always seemed similar in how highly they regard their opponents.(not very high)

Dawn Marie
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Serena's game and achievements just overpower anything negative Hingis has to say.

Hingis's mere words can't overshadow the truth. I mean Serena is a great player who has many slams left in her. She has a game that is STILL top notch after her injury. I just can't stop laughing as I type. .. Rotfllma.. no really.. we all know Serena is the bomb on the tennis courts.

hingis-seles
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:11 AM
If it's true, then I'd be disappointed.

dreamgoddess099
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:12 AM
To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become no.1.Well, Serena's game may be ugly. But her 2 Wimby titles to Hingis's 1 plus Serena's FO title to her 0 are gorgeous. :lol: So much for having a beautiful game. :rolleyes:

One reason might be that there are now more and more players coming up who are just as powerful as her but also do some thinking on the court." Damn, Serena is good! All those times she outplayed Hingis without even thinking about. Now what does that say about you as a player when someone can beat you without even having to think about it. :tape:

Infiniti2001
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM
I pray to God that my Vee disappears in the sunset after she retires... I would so hate it if she made negative comments about any player past or present :tape:

treiber04
I definetely think Serena is thinking out there as I've seen her mix up her shots lately, especially in 2002 when she was doing everything AMAZINGLY. I think that right now the issue is her unforced errors and her technique, it definetely has nothing to do with not thinking.

kabuki
Damn, Serena is good! All those times she outplayed Hingis without even thinking about. Now what does that say about you as a player when someone can beat you without even having to think about it. :tape:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dawn Marie
Yeah Hingis thought on the court in a perfect manner.. Lol. Do I really need to describe her classic MENTAL MELTDOWN matches??

*hingis_forever*
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Williams sisters fans are so funny! They pretend that they're not annoyed at Hingis' comments yet they have to say something bitchy about her! Keep it coming! :lol:

*hingis_forever*
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:22 AM
And also, we don't know if this comment is true! Half of the stuff that comes from this forum is BS anyway!

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Williams sisters fans are so funny! They pretend that they're not annoyed at Hingis' comments yet they have to say something bitchy about her! Keep it coming! :lol:
http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4244806&postcount=2 http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif

Diesel
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Who's pretending?

*hingis_forever*
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:26 AM
http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4244806&postcount=2 http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif
Ok, you're an exception! Sorry! :angel:

Crazy Canuck
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I don't see any reason to think that GoDom has made this up. He's made weirdo threads before, but this type of a troll would be a little bit of a stretch, I think. (If not, then I applaud him for a job well done!)

Dawn Marie
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Who said anything about NOT being annoyed? and wtf is ANNE KEOTHAVONG???

dreamgoddess099
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:38 AM
I'm not annoyed, I'm just a poster doing what posters do; making a post.

Rocinante
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Well, she's right, Serena is a great player but she has an ugly game, I personally enjoyed watching Martina with her beautiful game lose, than to watch Serena win doing over 50 unforced errors, it's just plain boring.

If we look at their games, Hingis game was elegant & beautiful to watch, while Serena's power game is quite boring. People complain about the serve power on men's game, but at least they keep the ball on the court more time than Serena, though she has proven she can wins Slams even with a ton of unforced errors :)

Volcana
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM
I think a lot got lost in your translation, so I am withholding comment.Considering that Martina rated Serena as THE toughest for her of ALL her competitors, I have to agree that, at best, you translation ... lacks nuance. I choose to believe that Martina conveyed the same respect for Serena's game that I've heard her give it when announcing. If you post a link to the article, I'd be happy to run it through a language translator. I have one I've been itching to try out.

LucasArg
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:21 AM
I believe Martina said something like that, but I also know A LOT of players say/said the same thing.

I just LOVE the way Serena plays, she is an UNBELIEVABLE athete :hearts:

vs1
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:03 AM
SERENA IS ALL BEAUTY!! :hearts: Everyone else (including me) is just a pretender! ;)

RVD
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Yes, Serena's game is quite fascinating to watch! :bounce:
The sheer athleticism and strength that she has at her command is daunting to most competitors. Add to that, her ability to change tactics and strategy when things aren't going well, and BAM..., you have a great champion with 6 slam titles. (Four in a row). WOW! :worship:
Hingis' game is nice if you are a tea and crumpets type person. But I much prefer Serena's more modern strength, intelligence, and power game. OH, AND her 'NEVER SAY DIE' attitude. :cool:

Even after knee surgery. :tape:

Crazy Canuck
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I thought it was obvious reading her comment that it was a troll post... But then with Hingis you never know. :o
Well that's why I considered it a possiblity! If not, then as I said - good troll ;)

LDVTennis
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Add to that, her ability to change tactics and strategy when things aren't going well, and BAM..., you have a great champion with 6 slam titles. (Four in a row).

Err. What other tactic does she have besides bashing the ball and hoping it goes in?

Please tell us...

Chance
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Martina is still there with her bad mouth......why would she change?:hatoff:

if we go by that translation then we shouldn't be surprised... leopards don't chage their their spots.

I guess she has a lot of respect for Lindsay's game:rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Err. What other tactic does she have besides bashing the ball and hoping it goes in?

Please tell us...

Come on, ldv....just the same way that if Steffiīs forehand was off, then she was also cooked. forehand on= steffi wins, forehand off= steffi lose..... not much in between, so Steffi herself didnīt have much tactics to speak of.

If Hingis said this, then yeah....itīs cool. Whatever works, works. Serena most be amazing that she can win the most majors of her generation players...so it canīt be all bad.

Martian Willow
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:23 AM
People believed this. I'm taking down names. :lol:

Ryan
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Oh my. I'm assuming when Hingis said that Serena played with not finesse or "intelligence" she was talking about HER experiences with her. Even in 2002/3 she's mentioned that Serena's game has matured a lot and she IS thinking more. But of course, everyone forgets that now. Also, you have to compare their games to get the comparison. In contrast with Hingis, Serena does have ZERO finesse. Now, Serena still does have it, but it's minimal when compared to Martina.

rjd1111
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
There has been an interview with Martina Hingis in the latest edition of the German tennis magazine "Matschball". One of the questions was about Serena. I have tried my best to translate Martina's answer. Here it is:

"Playing her it always felt like playing a steamroller. No subtlety, no finesse, just raw, loud power. To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become no.1.
Serena has been struggling a bit in recent times, she hasn't won a slam this year. One reason might be that there are now more and more players coming up who are just as powerful as her but also do some thinking on the court."

You don't win That many Slams and other Events without Thinking. The Sisters did that raw power thing early on. They didn't start Winning big
Matches until they gained Experience to go along with the Power.
And yes, There are many more Power players now so it harder. And
lately, Its harder to beat your opponet and the Refs too.

Rub
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
i think hingis is a little more respectful than that1

GoDominique
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM
To those who think this might be a troll thread:
If this WAS a troll thread, there would be an OBVIOUS hint to it. And so far no one has pointed out such a hint, so that only leaves two possible explanations:

1. This is NOT a troll thread.
2. No German-speaking poster has posted in this thread.

vettipooh
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Williams sisters fans are so funny! They pretend that they're not annoyed at Hingis' comments yet they have to say something bitchy about her! Keep it coming! :lol: Here's one more bitchy thing... when the going got tough, the weakling ran...all the way wearing Tacchiniwhatchumacallhim,shoes!!:tape:

*hingis_forever*
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Here's one more bitchy thing... when the going got tough, the weakling ran...all the way wearing Tacchiniwhatchumacallhim,shoes!!:tape:
You do that :tape: smilie as if you've proven a point when all you've done is acted in retaliation!

*hingis_forever*
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM
What people tend to forget is that Hingis and Serena got along pretty well and had a lot of respect for each other. It's the media that mingles each players' words!

veronica
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM
would you please post the original german version of the article without translation. thanks!!!!

Martian Willow
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
It must be very small magazine. They don't seem to have a website.

SJW
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:28 PM
i have one word:

BULLSHIT :lol:

but :yeah: to GD for the bait....hmmmmmmmm :p

raquel
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Exactly. Let's be honest but there was nothing too "beautiful" about Lindsay or Jennifer's game when they overpowered Hingis in Slam finals. That's how the game is now. Who can make the first big strike and take control of the rallies. Hingis simply couldn't make the first big strike often enough in the last couple of years of her career.

franny
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I really don't think that Martina meant that she didn't respect Serena's game because it's all power. She was probably saying that it was tough for her to swallow losing to Serena and respecting to Serena. And she did say that she respected Serena, so I don't know what all you are complaining about. She said: "To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become no.1." Note how she did say that she respected Serena's game, even if it meant swallowing her pride a bit because one could not deny the greatness of Serena's game. And plus when Martina first started playing Serena, Serena wasn't the player she was when she won 4 straight grand slams. I'm pretty sure that the last time Hingis and Serena played, Serena had yet to win her 2nd grand slam, so Hingis is obviously just speaking from her experience of playing Serena. SHe really wouldn't know how much Serena has grown and matured since playing her.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Who said anything about NOT being annoyed? and wtf is ANNE KEOTHAVONG???

She is Britain's number 1 tennis player. Good luck Anne :worship:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I really don't think that Martina meant that she didn't respect Serena's game because it's all power. She was probably saying that it was tough for her to swallow losing to Serena and respecting to Serena. And she did say that she respected Serena, so I don't know what all you are complaining about. She said: "To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become no.1." Note how she did say that she respected Serena's game, even if it meant swallowing her pride a bit because one could not deny the greatness of Serena's game. And plus when Martina first started playing Serena, Serena wasn't the player she was when she won 4 straight grand slams. I'm pretty sure that the last time Hingis and Serena played, Serena had yet to win her 2nd grand slam, so Hingis is obviously just speaking from her experience of playing Serena. SHe really wouldn't know how much Serena has grown and matured since playing her.

Would love to hear her comments about Jenniferīs game, Lindsayīs game.....

Veritas
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
1. Where is the link to the actual article?

2. I would like to see the entire interview.

3. I thought that people (especially the Williams fans) would have realised by now that the media is the least trustworthy and respectiful source. They deliberately manipulate what people say and would go as far as omitting certain words just to change the entire context of what had been said. Martina and Serena got along fine - certainly better than Martina and Venus. And Martina had mentioned a lot in her commentating that Serena was not only her toughest opponent, but also "possessed the most accurate and amazing shots" in tennis.

Experimentee
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Its not a surprise that Hingis would say something like this. Its not as if she was the most classy player in her time :rolleyes:
Shes obviously still bitter that power has taken over the game, and driven her out of it :lol:

Jaime Bahena
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I think a lot got lost in your translation, so I am withholding comment.

Serena's new quote: It's encouraging to lose a match, when I wasn't playing my best today." She could have said that after Wimbledon.

Jaime Bahena
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Well, she's right, Serena is a great player but she has an ugly game, I personally enjoyed watching Martina with her beautiful game lose, than to watch Serena win doing over 50 unforced errors, it's just plain boring.

If we look at their games, Hingis game was elegant & beautiful to watch, while Serena's power game is quite boring. People complain about the serve power on men's game, but at least they keep the ball on the court more time than Serena, though she has proven she can wins Slams even with a ton of unforced errors :)

Serena has also proven that she can lose a Slam with a ton of errors; witness 2004 Wimbledon.

miranda_lou
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
On an interview show on the Tennis Channel, Martina Hingis said almost the exact same thing about Serena.:rolleyes: Her english isn't all that great but she did say that. I heard it myself.

Serena does have an ugly game . . . it's ugly to watch and she's ugly to look at in those ugly clothes.:lol: Same goes for Lindsay and Jennifer.:rolleyes: (game-wise and looks-wise, not the clothes.):tape:

barmaid
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Martina Hinges will always be jealous of the Williams, she quite early in her prime because she could not handle the game anymore too hard & too fast for her so she is still pist deep down inside her................and look at her know can not keep away from the game, she need to go find a new career!!! and one other thing she will always be jealous of the williams they have other careers and not just tennis, Martina always live and breath tennis and she don't know what to do with herself just make comments about the williams..........she needs a LIFE!!!!!!Janet, BTW -65 for your English composition! Martina has a new career...she is doing TV commentating, continuing her study with English courses, is involved with her Mom's tennis clinic (in Switzerland) which she devotes much time to, still travels for sponsors to conduct other tennis clinics, last week she placed first and second in a horsejumping competition so she remains a busy lady and is leading a full and active "LIFE":hearts: :kiss: Thanks for asking:D

barmaid:wavey:

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
If she did not think on the court she would not have 6 GS and a ton of other trophies. Again, these people are something else when it comes to V&S they never want to credit them for their achievements. I guess she still pissed because the sisters ran her butt off the court. Serena has been struggling because she was off for almost a year with injuries, and tragedy in the family. Way is it that these people fail to acknowledge this major fact. Let's see if you are going to hear the same shit when jhh and kim start struggling as jhh is doing right now.

Can I say RESPECT
:worship: :worship:

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Serena has also proven that she can lose a Slam with a ton of errors; witness 2004 Wimbledon.

Yep...but hey 6-2 record in major finals, ainīt that bad.

vettipooh
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:38 PM
You do that :tape: smilie as if you've proven a point when all you've done is acted in retaliation! And you have?????:rolleyes:

Pengwin
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Where is this interview Auf Deutsch?

RYNJ
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM
well if shes saying this comment to Serena maybe she should make the same comment towards other players. Serena isn't the only one playign the game this way....

franny
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I think she made a total of 10 or 13 errors that match, I don't remember. I don't think that 10 or 13 errors counts as "a ton of errors."

Darop.
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:00 PM
My thoughts are:

Shut the fuck up bitch :)

And now that you've finished tennis, find something better to do then linger around :D

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Martina was asked what her opinion was about Serena. Well,that's her opinion. So what? Should she say something different that would be more pleasing to the ear but doesn't reflect her true feelings? And yes,you will hear the same "shit" if Kim and Justine start struggling,because if there is one thing I've noticed in the few weeks that I became an active member here it's that to be regarded a "true fan" of someone it's required to hate at least one,or better still,as many of the other players (and/or members) as possible.

If she did not think on the court she would not have 6 GS and a ton of other trophies. Again, these people are something else when it comes to V&S they never want to credit them for their achievements. I guess she still pissed because the sisters ran her butt off the court. Serena has been struggling because she was off for almost a year with injuries, and tragedy in the family. Way is it that these people fail to acknowledge this major fact. Let's see if you are going to hear the same shit when jhh and kim start struggling as jhh is doing right now.

volta
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:39 PM
thatīs why i never liked that thing called for the name Hingis never cheared for her NEVER and never will.
Bitch one word for you JEALOUS get over it :wavey:

LDVTennis
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Come on, ldv....just the same way that if Steffiīs forehand was off, then she was also cooked. forehand on= steffi wins, forehand off= steffi lose..... not much in between, so Steffi herself didnīt have much tactics to speak of.

If Hingis said this, then yeah....itīs cool. Whatever works, works. Serena most be amazing that she can win the most majors of her generation players...so it canīt be all bad.

Bandabou, your lack of technical knowledge on the topic is showing again.

Steffi could execute a whole range of shots that Serena probably doesn't even know exist.

Even in her early years, Steffi regularly used short slice backhands, bunt backhands, the roll forehand from the short court, drop shots off both sides, chip lobs, and topspin lobs, to win points or to set up her forehand. By no means was Steffi's repertoire of shots ever as limited as Serena's is.

If you have any doubt about what I am saying, please review the third set of the '99 Wimbledon Quarterfinal (Steffi vs. Venus). There you will see Steffi hit a whole array of shots, from a running chip lob, a bunt backhand down the line, a backhand drop shot, the short slice backhand, the slice backhand approach, etc. A number of years later, how many of these shots can Venus hit with any tactical purpose and technical proficiency? None. How about Serena? None.

If you think that this match is an anomaly in Steffi's career, then please review the third set of the French Final of '99, the '96 US Open Final, or any of the Wimbledon finals against Martina N.. Those should give you some idea as to how wonderful tennis can be when there is at least one player on the court who has the ability to control the face of the racquet on almost any stroke.

In another thread, I have already summarized the elegance of Steffi's tactics. I dare you now to tell me if Serena can rely on any one shot enough to pull off what Graf was able to do with the forehand alone.

Serena gets involved in so many pointless baseline rallies because she's never been able to construct a winning shot pattern that can work for her 80 to 90 percent of the time. If her opponent returns her serve, deep and to the middle the court, it is really a 50/50 proposition as to who wins the point from there. When Serena was just coming into her own, Serena could depend on pure power to win many of these baseline rallies. But, as the competition has become better at withstanding her power, as her own athletic skills have diminished, and as her technical flaws become more apparent (e.g., on the forehand), she's been forced increasingly to rely on the consistency of her baseline game to keep her in games. Turns out, she's really not that consistent.

It is possible to play a high risk game with very few unforced errors. Graf and Seles did it and their games were more high-risk since they regularly aimed for the lines. It is also possible to be a power player with the ability to change the spin and pace of the ball. Sampras was one, Graf was another, and Federer is the best example yet.

Martian Willow
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
LOL!!!!!!!1111 at the double standards!!!!!!! nobody ever criticzes anythign ant other player sasy its only martina whos comments are under teh microsope you want her to bow donw and kiss ........well its not going to hapen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111LOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111your so jealous ofmartinas money and sucess you haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Steffi could execute a whole range of shots that Serena probably doesn't even know exist.

Even in her early years, Steffi regularly used short slice backhands, bunt backhands, the roll forehand from the short court, drop shots off both sides, chip lobs, and topspin lobs, to win points or to set up her forehand. By no means was Steffi's repertoire of shots ever as limited as Serena's is.

If you have any doubt about what I am saying, please review the third set of the '99 Wimbledon Quarterfinal (Steffi vs. Venus). There you will see Steffi hit a whole array of shots, from a running chip lob, a bunt backhand down the line, a backhand drop shot, the short slice backhand, the slice backhand approach, etc. A number of years later, how many of these shots can Venus hit with any tactical purpose and technical proficiency? None. How about Serena? None.

If you think that this match is an anomaly in Steffi's career, then please review the third set of the French Final of '99, the '96 US Open Final, or any of the Wimbledon finals against Martina N.. Those should give you some idea as to how wonderful tennis can be when there is at least one player on the court who has the ability to control the face of the racquet on almost any stroke.

In another thread, I have already summarized the elegance of Steffi's tactics. I dare you now to tell me if Serena can rely on any one shot enough to pull off what Graf was able to do with the forehand alone.

Serena gets involved in so many pointless baseline rallies because she's never been able to construct a winning shot pattern that can work for her 80 to 90 percent of the time. If her opponent returns her serve, deep and to the middle the court, it is really a 50/50 proposition as to who wins the point from there. When Serena was just coming into her own, Serena could depend on pure power to win many of these baseline rallies. But, as the competition has become better at withstanding her power, as her own athletic skills have diminished, and as her technical flaws become more apparent (e.g., on the forehand), she's been forced increasingly to rely on the consistency of her baseline game to keep her in games. Turns out, she's really not that consistent.

It is possible to play a high risk game with very few unforced errors. Graf and Seles did it and their games were more high-risk since they regularly aimed for the lines. It is also possible to be a power player with the ability to change the spin and pace of the ball. Sampras was one, Graf was another, and Federer is the best example yet.

Serenaīs two shots that can win her most matches: serve and backhand.

Iīm not discussing with you....Serena may not have all shots in the book, but those she has, they work and she makes the most of them. You canīt argue with results...the results are there.

The last part of your conclusion is based on just this year?! Wow...once again weīre quick to dismiss players not named Graf. So is it just her that gets the chance to find her feet again after a surgery?!

RVD
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:06 PM

It is possible to play a high risk game with very few unforced errors. Graf and Seles did it and their games were more high-risk since they regularly aimed for the lines. It is also possible to be a power player with the ability to change the spin and pace of the ball. Sampras was one, Graf was another, and Federer is the best example yet.The way you describe Serena's game says a lot about you. You obviously don't like her or her game. And neither do you respect her or her game. So what is your problem with the lady named Serena Williams?

You are the true epitome of what people call a 'hater', but that's okay too. Doesn't bother me, nor Serena I'm sure. Still, it's amazing how you can write so much and prove so little in your post. :confused:

Here's a fact that your post has obviously missed.

Serena's game is so bad that she has 6 GRAND SLAMS to date. FOUR in a row! Oh, and before I forget to mention it...she also has 25 titles, and growing. Now, what were you saying about her game. :wavey:

PS
Where do these fools come from?
You sound just like a loser coach I had in high school. He was wrong too. :lol:

Knizzle
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:20 PM
LOL!!!!!!!1111 at the double standards!!!!!!! nobody ever criticzes anythign ant other player sasy its only martina whos comments are under teh microsope you want her to bow donw and kiss thoes black asses well its not going to hapen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111LOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111your so jealous ofmartinas money and sucess you haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
Cheo23=Willow??

Pengwin
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Can we not overreact until we see the original article in German so we can see for ourselves?

DeDe4925
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM
German magazine, German poster, partisan interpreter, the comments sound alot more like Hinquit than others I've read. Put it all in the melting pot and viola -----------> bs stew.
I totally agree with this statement. I'm basically withholding my own comment because of the so-called source of the comment and because of the Williams' hating shit stirring thread starter. :rolleyes:

DeDe4925
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Well, Serena's game may be ugly. But her 2 Wimby titles to Hingis's 1 plus Serena's FO title to her 0 are gorgeous. :lol: So much for having a beautiful game. :rolleyes:

Damn, Serena is good! All those times she outplayed Hingis without even thinking about. Now what does that say about you as a player when someone can beat you without even having to think about it. :tape:
Just damn!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DeDe4925
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Please tell us...
:lol: :lol: You must be stupid. If that's the case, why am I not in the top ten of the WTA, winning big prize money, trophies, multi-million dollar endorsements, and major slams?? :confused: Because, you just described my tennis game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pureracket
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Would this board have half its posts without the presence of the Williams Sisters in the game? LOL!!!!!

Seriously, do any other players have posters on this board whose mere existence is only to solely insult them?

I'm still amazed at their popularity even after all these years.

vs1
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:50 PM
You know, Pure, it's all about Venus and Serena ALL THE TIME!! All the good things, all the controversies. It's all about the Queen and Babygirl!! :worship:

DeDe4925
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Martina was asked what her opinion was about Serena. Well,that's her opinion. So what? Should she say something different that would be more pleasing to the ear but doesn't reflect her true feelings? And yes,you will hear the same "shit" if Kim and Justine start struggling,because if there is one thing I've noticed in the few weeks that I became an active member here it's that to be regarded a "true fan" of someone it's required to hate at least one,or better still,as many of the other players (and/or members) as possible.
Why do you have such a double standard for players Chrissie? Didn't you agree with Jon Werthless, that Serena was ungracious in her win against Sveta because she gave Sveta her props, but truthfully said that she didn't play her best (Serena's opinion about her own game)? How can say, in almost the same breath, that it's okay for Martina to disrespect Serena and her game, as long as it's her opinion and it's her true feelings? :confused:

Chrissie-fan
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:39 PM
No,as a matter of fact I didn't. What's more,I have on several occasions defended both Serena and Sharapova against what I consider unfair criticism,even though I ain't a fan of either of them.

Why do you have such a double standard for players Chrissie? Didn't you agree with Jon Werthless, that Serena was ungracious in her win against Sveta because she gave Sveta her props, but truthfully said that she didn't play her best (Serena's opinion about her own game)? How can say, in almost the same breath, that it's okay for Martina to disrespect Serena and her game, as long as it's her opinion and it's her true feelings? :confused:

AkademiQ
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I will always take Venus and Serena appearing on Oprah and Oprah raised the point that the Williams Sisters have always had detractors whether it be fellow players or in the press room, and Venus and Serena simply stated they have nothing bad to say about other players because it is not what they do or how they operate.

DeDe4925
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:55 PM
No,as a matter of fact I didn't. What's more,I have on several occasions defended both Serena and Sharapova against what I consider unfair criticism,even though I ain't a fan of either of them.
Okay, my bad. :angel:

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:32 PM
I Think Hingis was just commenting on how Serena & Venus have pure power where as Martina H used different speeds & spins & was sooo clever she wasnt my fave but give her props a super talented woman..I do think V & S Williams are great players too just so powerful but Jenny is my fave current player & Steffi my fave of all time:)

alfajeffster
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:35 PM
I Think Hingis was just commenting on how Serena & Venus have pure power where as Martina H used different speeds & spins & was sooo clever she wasnt my fave but give her props a super talented woman..I do think V & S Williams are great players too just so powerful but Jenny is my fave current player & Steffi my fave of all time:)
Interesting that of all the players you named in the above quote, Martina Hingis has (had) the best volley and the softest hands.

boggs570
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM
You know, Pure, it's all about Venus and Serena ALL THE TIME!! All the good things, all the controversies. It's all about the Queen and Babygirl!! :worship:

The Queen and the Princesses.

JCF
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM
Yep Hingis right, Serena's power is in your face, its very raw and you can hear the grunts all the time.

As for someone like Davenport, well she doesn't even look like she's playing powerfully most of the time, its all natural to her. There's a difference.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
On the other hand,I'm sure that Hingis would have been a champion,no matter in what era in tennis history she would have been active. I'm not so sure that this would have been the case with players who depend almost exclusively on power.

Yep Hingis right, Serena's power is in your face, its very raw and you can hear the grunts all the time.

As for someone like Davenport, well she doesn't even look like she's playing powerfully most of the time, its all natural to her. There's a difference.

hablo
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:29 PM
Too bad we can't have an accurate translation of Hingis' comments. Oh well.

I prefer players who speak their minds instead of sounding like politically correct sheep. :lol: :lol: :bounce:

hablo
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:31 PM
:hatoff:

if we go by that translation then we shouldn't be surprised... leopards don't chage their their spots.

did they even ask her about Lindsay?? :rolleyes:

Becool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Why she even bothers to say something? She should stay at home, riding on horses and keep her stupid mouth shut.. We all know Serena's game is not only based on power.. She's much more of a mixer now, and that she has an exciting and entertaining game..

I think she just want to get the attention back... As she can't do nothing on court, then she has to do them talking bullshits of active players :rolleyes:

Martian Willow
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
People believed this. I'm taking down names. :lol:

cdpoulin1
Law and order
BambooDragon
Janet
kabuki
Diesel
Dawn Marie
sunrise
Ryan17
rjd1111
franny
Experimentee
DADYO
Chrissie-fan
Sphenx
Becool
bandabou

:)

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
This topic has gone on for over 2 pages. There is still no adequate proof to show that Martina had really said and meant what has been reported.

TonyP
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
First, I note that, accurate or not, Martina commented on Serena, not "the sisters."

Secondly, to say Serena's game is based on anything but power it to ignore reality. When she was winning big, Serena over powered her opponents, mostly with big serving.

Sorry, that is the reality, whether it is politically correct or not.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
First, I note that, accurate or not, Martina commented on Serena, not "the sisters."

Secondly, to say Serena's game is based on anything but power it to ignore reality. When she was winning big, Serena over powered her opponents, mostly with big serving.

Sorry, that is the reality, whether it is politically correct or not.

Of course....so thatīs why Kim, Lindsay, Jennifer et al have been winning title after title too during the period. Power..all thatīs needed.

starr
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
I want to see the article in German!!!

What is the link? I don't need any translator. I want to see for myself what Martina said.

PLUS, I want to see what she said about other things too. :)

maccardel
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Who is Martina Hingis to comment on Serena? At least Serena went out and got the surgery in order to still compete. Yes we all know that the road to recovery is going to be hard, but at least Serena is still sticking with it and regaining her form. What about Martina? She gave up the moment she felt a tingling sensation in her ankle or foot.

It was not a pain of injury she was feeling, what she was feeling was the wear and tear of her ass being ran around the court and her not being able to play her "beautiful and gracious" game. I imagine she probably had little black dolls of Serena and Venus in her luggage and stuck pins in them everytime she had to play them.

Martina needs to just keep the mouth closed a little more and work on getting her early bird special coupons. Do you ever wonder that maybe her ankle is hurting because she keeps putting her foot in her mouth? That could be the problem, hence her foot is always gonna hurt.

Martian Willow
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Who is Martina Hingis to comment on Serena? At least Serena went out and got the surgery in order to still compete. Yes we all know that the road to recovery is going to be hard, but at least Serena is still sticking with it and regaining her form. What about Martina? She gave up the moment she felt a tingling sensation in her ankle or foot.

It was not a pain of injury she was feeling, what she was feeling was the wear and tear of her ass being ran around the court and her not being able to play her "beautiful and gracious" game. I imagine she probably had little black dolls of Serena and Venus in her luggage and stuck pins in them everytime she had to play them.

Martina needs to just keep the mouth closed a little more and work on getting her early bird special coupons. Do you ever wonder that maybe her ankle is hurting because she keeps putting her foot in her mouth? That could be the problem, hence her foot is always gonna hurt.

Martina had surgery. I don't know if having your foot in your mouth is worse than having your brain in your arse.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

:lol: Yeah...I think you got a point her. Serena confronted the road and pains of recovering, Martina backed off...her game might not beautiful but at least Serena didnīt back off.

kabuki
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM

:worship:

thelittlestelf
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
I find it kind of hard to believe that Martina said that... http://wtaworld.com/ubb/confused.gif

Do we have a source?

Experimentee
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Martina had surgery. I don't know if having your foot in your mouth is worse than having your brain in your arse.

Many players have had surgery, even the same surgery that Hingis had, and they still didnt retire :rolleyes:

Martian Willow
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Many players have had surgery, even the same surgery that Hingis had, and they still didnt retire :rolleyes:

Yes, they had the same surgery, and the same injury, and exactly the same ankles as Martina. OK. :rolleyes:

Gallofa
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
I can see why so many of you are dubious about whether Hingis would make such comments. After all, Martina has always been polite, complimentary and kind to her opponents.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
So Martinaīs saying that Serenaīs the most powerful girl on tour and that sheīs the hardest hitter?! Donīt know if that is exactly true..

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Whether or not you agree with Hingis you have to admit that Serena's power is in your face kind of power, whereas someone like Lindsay, even though she may have the same power, is not in your face or intimidating to play against.

Veritas
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
I can see why so many of you are dubious about whether Hingis would make such comments.

Because the entire interview has not been provided. And because some of us are open-minded enough to know that many things reported by the media cannot be taken at face value.

After all, Martina has always been polite, complimentary and kind to her opponents.

Sometimes she is, sometimes she is not. She is a human being.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Why should Serena's fans be offended by these comments? It's a compliment to say that she's so powerful,ain't it? And certainly no one is gonna argue that Serena has as much touch as Martina. It's sort of funny that people get upset at just the slightest hint of criticism of their favorite by another player while most complaining members constantly call the other players cheats,bitches,low lifes,ugly,etc......

kabuki
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Why should Serena's fans be offended by these comments? It's a compliment to say that she's so powerful,ain't it? And certainly no one is gonna argue that Serena has as much touch as Martina. It's sort of funny that people get upset at just the slightest hint of criticism of their favorite by another player while most complaining members constantly call the other players cheats,bitches,low lifes,ugly,etc......

Martina could have found something more beautiful and graceful to say in order to get quoted.

Experimentee
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM

You can try to gloss it over, but you know she didnt just say that. She didnt say Serena had not as much touch, she said she had NO touch, subtlety or finesse, and also said her game was ugly. That definitely is putting down her game.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
Whether or not you agree with Hingis you have to admit that Serena's power is in your face kind of power, whereas someone like Lindsay, even though she may have the same power, is not in your face or intimidating to play against.

I just donīt get it...."in your face power". Whatīs that supposed to mean?!

It was hard for me to accept that kinda game, ugly?!

So Lindsayīs game is power, but because itīs "beautiful" power itīs okay?!

vettipooh
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Martina could have found something more beautiful and graceful to say in order to get quoted. When you're no longer in the limelight, you've got to say any damn thing that puts you there!!!!!!!;)

hablo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

why do you keep bringing up Lindsay's game (or Capriati's)?? Obviously Martina didn't think theirs was so important to bring it up nor did the interviewer(s). Maybe that is a compliment to Serena's game?? :confused:

People on this board care way too much about Hingis' opinion. Dang, that powerless Martina must have done something right in her career to attract so much attention, that is even when her comments are accurately translated or not. :lol: :lol:

If Serena is so great why are her fans so damned threatened??? :rolleyes:

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
why do you keep bringing up Lindsay's game (or Capriati's)?? Obviously Martina didn't think theirs was so important to bring it up nor did the interviewer(s). Maybe that is a compliment to Serena's game?? :confused:

People on this board care way too much about Hingis' opinion. Dang, that powerless Martina must have done something right in her career to attract so much attention, that is even when her comments are accurately translated or not. :lol: :lol:

If Serena is so great why are her fans so damned threatened??? :rolleyes:

No, itīs just funny how Martina goes out and calls Serenaīs game ugly.

Martina, ugly or not....but she still managed to win more than you with your beautiful game.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:31 PM

Look, next time you watch Lindsay Davenport, take a look at her strokes. They don't even look that powerful, they just look pure, easy and natural.

Then look at Serena's game, she looks like she's putting alot of efforts into her shots, grunts, even screams many times when she is playing. That would put your opponent off huh?!

At the end of the day, thats what intimitated opponents, Hingis and whoever else.

hablo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
No, itīs just funny how Martina goes out and calls Serenaīs game ugly.

Martina, ugly or not....but she still managed to win more than you with your beautiful game.

did martina really go out and call Serena's game ugly?? Can you read german? did you find the link to the article? :lol: :tape:

Has Serena really won way more slams and tournaments??? :confused: :lol: :lol:

vettipooh
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:34 PM
HHmmmm, let me see. Serena's got game smarts, mental toughness, speed, athleticism, best serve in women's game, intimidating forehand, great backhand, nice slice, I could go on ond on. For those who say all she has is power....I say her power is just the icing on the cake!!!!

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Look, next time you watch Lindsay Davenport, take a look at her strokes. They don't even look that powerful, they just look pure, easy and natural.

Then look at Serena's game, she looks like she's putting alot of efforts into her shots, grunts, even screams many times when she is playing. That would put your opponent off huh?!

At the end of the day, thats what intimitated opponents, Hingis and whoever else.

Aaaah....so Monica was the most intimidating of them all: You know the grunts and stuff?! Yet, Martina never had much trouble with Monica...

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
HHmmmm, let me see. Serena's got game smarts, mental toughness, speed, athleticism, best serve in women's game, intimidating forehand, great backhand, nice slice, I could go on ond on. For those who say all she has is power....I say her power is just the icing on the cake!!!!
Her power is actually the main attribute of her game, certainly not icing on the cake.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
did martina really go out and called Serena's game ugly?? Can you read german? did you find the link to the article? :lol: :tape:

Has Serena really won way more slams and tournaments??? :confused: :lol: :lol:

I only go with what was stated in the first post and there she said it was ugly.

6 majors, career slam....you do the math..

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Aaaah....so Monica was the most intimidating of them all: You know the grunts and stuff?! Yet, Martina never had much trouble with Monica...
Monica was at a poor standard when Martina faced her mostly, certainly not as good as the early years.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Monica was at a poor standard when Martina faced her mostly, certainly not as good as the early years.

Of course, huh?! But she was still grunting and hitting hard, no?!

Thought that was all that was needed to beat Martina?!

hablo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
I only go with what was stated in the first post and there she said it was ugly.

6 majors, career slam....you do the math..

You failed to elaborate on the "...." Why is that??

Hingis 40 tournaments, including five slams. You do the math. :haha: :haha:

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Of course, huh?! But she was still grunting and hitting hard, no?!

Thought that was all that was needed to beat Martina?!
NO you're missing the point here. It wasn't all you needed to beat Martina, and just remember there were many players who have overpowered her, but maybe someone like Davenport she could except more because it wasn't 'raw, loud power'. Seles was probably the same, but you don't seem to have issues with players who you beat all the time hey?!

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
NO you're missing the point here. It wasn't all you needed to beat Martina, and just remember there were many players who have overpowered her, but maybe someone like Davenport she could except more because it wasn't 'raw, loud power'. Seles was probably the same, but you don't seem to have issues with players who you beat all the time hey?!

but thatīs all what Serena had in Martinaīs eyes, so she DOES think that that was the only reason Serena beat her: ugly, loud, in your face power...

Poor Monica, it sure didnīt work for her.

LDVTennis
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Serenaīs two shots that can win her most matches: serve and backhand.

Iīm not discussing with you....Serena may not have all shots in the book, but those she has, they work and she makes the most of them. You canīt argue with results...the results are there.

The last part of your conclusion is based on just this year?! Wow...once again weīre quick to dismiss players not named Graf. So is it just her that gets the chance to find her feet again after a surgery?!

Before you start comparing any shots to Steffi's forehand, you should probably know that the standards are quite high. We're talking about a shot that was uncanny in its ability to hit winners from any corner of the court, against any type of spin, depth, or pace. In the history of tennis, there are few shots in this class, among them Sampras' serve and Federer's forehand.

I won't deny the effectiveness of Serena's serve. For all of its effectiveness, however, it is not in the class of Sampras' serve. Sampras' serve was so phenomenonal that over an entire career he demonstrated the ability to hit aces at will, to pressure his opponent with the placement, pace, and spin of the ball on every serving point. At his peak, his serve was virtually unreturnable. By contrast, Serena has had one good serving year. Even in that year, there was no evidence that her serve was actually or virtually unreturnable. There was also no evidence then and there has been no evidence since that Serena can place the ball as well as Sampras. There is one serve, for example, that seems to come in and out of the Serena repertoire whenever her timing on the serve is off. That would be the serve extremely out wide to the AD court. Sampras never lost the ability or timing to hit this serve throughout his entire career.

As for Serena's backhand, it too is hardly in the same category as Steffi's forehand. If it were as good, it would already have been labeled the greatest backhand in the woman's game by at least one tennis commentator. It didn't take long for Steffi's forehand to earn the title of best in the woman's game of all time. Just like it didn't take long for Federer's forehand to earn the same title on the men's side.

These labels aren't just thrown around. In each and every case, the shot in question has earned it because of its phenomenal mechanics. This is not the time and place to discuss those phenomenal mechanics. Suffice it to say that that is what makes the game really enjoyable for us tennis aesthetes, the ones who just don't care about the results but also how the results are produced. Results can always be disputed by jealous fans who think their favorite would have won if she was not hurt, if the line judges had not missed a call, if other players hadn't criticized her grunting, if her opponent had not raised her hand to stop her from serving, if her sister had not been murdered, if she were playing a 1000 levels better than she played that day, etc. What can't be disputed is the beauty of a game in triumph or defeat.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
You failed to elaborate on the "...." Why is that??

Hingis 40 tournaments, including five slams. You do the math. :haha: :haha:

25 tournaments inlcuding 6 slams, career slam, 4 in a row.....who are you gonna take?!

anton
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
but thatīs all what Serena had in Martinaīs eyes, so she DOES think that that was the only reason Serena beat her: ugly, loud, in your face power...

Poor Monica, it sure didnīt work for her.
No Moncia could never sustain it for a long enough period in a match against Hingis, plus there were no stare downs from Monica, and certainly she did not hold an aura that Serena did either. My personal opinion is that if Hingis played Seles in the early 90's she would have a different opinion.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Before you start comparing any shots to Steffi's forehand, you should probably know that the standards are quite high. We're talking about a shot that was uncanny in its ability to hit winners from any corner of the court, against any type of spin, depth, or pace. In the history of tennis, there are few shots in this class, among them Sampras' serve and Federer's forehand.

I won't deny the effectiveness of Serena's serve. For all of its effectiveness, however, it is not in the class of Sampras' serve. Sampras' serve was so phenomenonal that over an entire career he demonstrated the ability to hit aces at will, to pressure his opponent with the placement, pace, and spin of the ball. At his peak, his serve was virtually unreturnable. By contrast, Serena has had one good serving year. Even in that year, there was no evidence that her serve was actually or virtually unreturnable. There was also no evidence then and there has been no evidence since that Serena can place the ball as well as Sampras on the court. There is one serve, for example, that seems to come in and out of the Serena repertoire whenever her timing on the serve is off. That would be the serve extremely out wide to the AD court.

Weīre gonna compare a femaleīs serve vs a maleīs serve?! I thought we were past that?!

At her best if there was ever a female that would have an unreturnable serve than itīd be Serena. Go look back....when Serena won her first major: because nobody could touch her serve...many, many, many players have gone on the record in saying that itīs the best serve they have ever seen. Lindsay whoīs played against Graf and against Serena, have said this too...in fact she even said that most of the time she doesnīt have any clue where Serenaīs going to serve....I donīt know what more evidence is needed for this.

Serena can be having totally off days in the groundstrokes department, but she always is gonna stay and be in matches just based on her serve.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
No Moncia could never sustain it for a long enough period in a match against Hingis, plus there were no stare downs from Monica, and certainly she did not hold an aura that Serena did either. My personal opinion is that if Hingis played Seles in the early 90's she would have a different opinion.

:lol: Yeah...maybe her grunts would be louder and she was more powerful too...:lol:

Aaah....the staredowns and aura, they all costed Martina against Serena...gets more interesting.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Well,if that's her opinion,what is she supposed to say? I mean,Serena's game often IS ugly in comparison to Hingis'. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's less spectacular,let alone less effective. A matter of Tyson vs Ali I would say. Both were incredible,but one had a devastating punch while the other had superior technique..........And to make sure that I don't offend anyone,Hingis' game is more beautiful than that of my personal fave Capriati too.

You can try to gloss it over, but you know she didnt just say that. She didnt say Serena had not as much touch, she said she had NO touch, subtlety or finesse, and also said her game was ugly. That definitely is putting down her game.

Crazy_Fool
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
:lol: Yeah...maybe her grunts would be louder and she was more powerful too...:lol:

Aaah....the staredowns and aura, they all costed Martina against Serena...gets more interesting.
lol, Serena had the ability to overpower Hingis for a whole match, remember us open 01, she was totally overpowered. If Serena was on, the point was over in 3 shots as Hingis could not match her for power. Monica on the other hand, did not have the fitness to sustain this level against Martina for a whole match, and if she did, it may have been different.

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
lol, Serena had the ability to overpower Hingis for a whole match, remember us open 01, she was totally overpowered. If Serena was on, the point was over in 3 shots as Hingis could not match her for power. Monica on the other hand, did not have the fitness to sustain this level against Martina for a whole match, and if she did, it may have been different.

Hmmm....now weīre hearing: fitness, ability to end a point in three strokes,.... gets more interesting.

LDVTennis
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Weīre gonna compare a femaleīs serve vs a maleīs serve?! I thought we were past that?!

At her best if there was ever a female that would have an unreturnable serve than itīd be Serena. Go look back....when Serena won her first major: because nobody could touch her serve...many, many, many players have gone on the record in saying that itīs the best serve they have ever seen. Lindsay whoīs played against Graf and against Serena, have said this too...in fact she even said that most of the time she doesnīt have any clue where Serenaīs going to serve....I donīt know what more evidence is needed for this.

Serena can be having totally off days in the groundstrokes department, but she always is gonna stay and be in matches just based on her serve.

Bandabou, you really need to take a few tennis lessons. It may allow you to appreciate the game of tennis at a deeper level.

From a technical standpoint, even from an athletic standpoint, there is no reason not to compare a woman's serve to a man's serve. If the serve is any good, both men and women should be pushing up and out at the top of their service motion. If the serve is any good, both men and women should have the same ability to pronate their wrist at the point of contact.

The ability to hit the out wide serve to the AD court depends on two physical abilities, the ability to keep your shoulder open until you reach the peak of your service motion and the ability to rotate your wrist clockwise as you snap through the ball. Easer said than done, but there is no physical difference between men and women that would make it impossible for women to hit the same serve.

Serena's inability to hit this serve regulary is a consequence of her inability to keep her shoulder open at the peak of her service motion. It may be a balance problem. Or, it may be a problem with how high she jumps into her serve. I've never really cared that much about Serena's game to sit there and figure these things out. Maybe you could.

kabuki
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Bandabou, you really need to take a few tennis lessons. It may allow you to appreciate the game of tennis at a deeper level.

From a technical standpoint, even from an athletic standpoint, there is no reason not to compare a woman's serve to a man's serve. If the serve is any good, both men and women should be pushing up and out at the top of their service motion. If the serve is any good, both men and women should have the same ability to pronate their wrist at the point of contact.

The ability to hit the out wide serve to the AD court depends on two physical abilities, the ability to keep your shoulder open until you reach the peak of your service motion and the ability to rotate your wrist clockwise as you snap through the ball. Easer said than done, but there is no physical difference between men and women that would make it impossible for women to hit the same serve.

Serena's inability to hit this serve regulary is a consequence of her inability to keep her shoulder open at the peak of her service motion. It may be a balance problem. Or, it may be a problem with how high she jumps into her serve. I've never really cared that much about Serena's game to sit there and figure these things out. Maybe you could.

Billy Jean, haven't we told you about having multiple accounts, you sanctimonious, condescending beatch?

bandabou
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM

Of course you donīt care about Serenaīs game....we all know the only personīs game you care about is Steffiīs...itīs cool though.

technically the female and the male serves might be the same, but thereīs still this matter of: power and pace....a female couldnīt possibly be hitting 130 or 140 mph serves and thus it is more easy to return a female serve than it is to return a good male serve.

Serenaīs favourite serve is the serve down the middle...thereīs where she likes to serve them, but I have seen her win many many matches with her serve out wide too.....hmm, I donīt know why you keep bringing up this serve as the ultimate paramount of serving prowess?!

Fact is Serena is known for her ability to hit all corners of the service box...if you havenīt been paying attention, then thatīs your problem.

Martian Willow
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
I think the reason people are so keen to believe this is that they feel it legitimizes the irrational hatred they already have for Martina. They want to believe it because it provides an excuse to attack someone who gets under their skin. It's rather tragic...but also very funny.

vettipooh
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Her power is actually the main attribute of her game, certainly not icing on the cake.Nah, we've been brainwashed to think its all power, when it comes to the WS.

Oizo
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:47 PM
If it's true what Hingis said, then I think she is just jealous, because Serena won the GRAND SLAM with the one and only French Open, which Hingis wanted so badly to win.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:13 PM
I think the reason people are so keen to believe this is that they feel it legitimizes the irrational hatred they already have for Martina. They want to believe it because it provides an excuse to attack someone who gets under their skin. It's rather tragic...but also very funny.

Stuff like this is funny. Insert Venus or Serena in Martina's place and you have the same logic.

Martian Willow
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
Stuff like this is funny. Insert Venus or Serena in Martina's place and you have the same logic.

Wouldn't happen. :)

starr
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
If it's true what Hingis said, then I think she is just jealous, because Serena won the GRAND SLAM with the one and only French Open, which Hingis wanted so badly to win.
Serena did not win the GRAND SLAM just like Navratilova didn't win the GRAND SLAM. They both won 4 slams in a row, but not the grand slam. Steffi Graf was the last woman to have achieved that honor.

Stamp Paid
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
Serena did not win the GRAND SLAM just like Navratilova didn't win the GRAND SLAM. They both won 4 slams in a row, but not the grand slam. Steffi Graf was the last woman to have achieved that honor.
Hater. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Veritas
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:13 AM

:haha: It does seem funny how they would find any excuse to do that. Just post a troll thread and make up a few damning statements about what Martina 'allegedly' said, and you'd have a plethora of irritated posters who'd spew hate-filled trash about her. It is also funny how they won't even stop to think whether what's been reported is true or not. These excuses ... :lol:

What's even more funny is how hypocritical some of these people can be. They call Martina a "bitch" and tell her to "shut up", "get a life" and "go back to horse riding" because of a few comments she made. If Martina gets this much flak for her comments, then some of the posters criticising her should go to jail for the language and insults they use :tape:

Knizzle
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM
i hope that all those who seem to be taking these comments at face value as being gospel truth are aware that we do NOT know whether these comments were actually made. personally i think its a troll thread. i never liked hingis much but she never gave evidence of being that biased against serena. in any case even if true there would have to be considerable translation loss. We don't know it's her, but it damn sure sounds like her. She's said things like this in the past, she's not trying to be rude, this is truly what she thinks and for whatever reason she doesn't find anything wrong with saying it.

sabandborg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:27 AM
it legitimizes the irrational hatred they already have for Martina.

You're delusional. Nobody has to be irrational to dislike the Tina. Truth is, Hinqis has provided abundant reasons to drive any impartial observer to hate, solely from the crap coming from her mouth.

You write pretty good fiction though.

sabandborg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:41 AM

A CHANCE TO QUOTE ME!

With no validation whatsoever, again I reiterate, the original post is BS! (even if it sounds more like the Quitter than another recent quote.)

Chrissie-fan
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Martina Hingis talks as though she was a saint compared to a lot of people on this forum.

sabandborg
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Martina Hingis talks as though she was a saint compared to a lot of people on this forum.

Chrissie-fan, if you think Tina's homophobic, ethniphobic statements makes her a saint --------------> follow Willow! Should be a path to delusional nirvana.

Martian Willow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
You're delusional. Nobody has to be irrational to dislike the Tina. Truth is, Hinqis has provided abundant reasons to drive any impartial observer to hate, solely from the crap coming from her mouth.

You write pretty good fiction though.

I think it was a reasonable attempt to understand why people were queueing up to believe a blatant lie. Perhaps you could make a suggestion, because the only other possibility that comes to my mind is that most Serena fans are plain stupid.

Examples of Martinas' 'ethniphobic statements' would be appreciated too.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:46 AM
why are Serena-fans stupid?! We didnīt make this thread and we for sure didnīt make the comments Martina made....

Martina has no business to come and call Serenaīs game ugly.

Martian Willow
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
why are Serena-fans stupid?! We didnīt make this thread and we for sure didnīt make the comments Martina made....

I didn't say they were. I have already suggested an explanation I consider more likely.

Martina has no business to come and call Serenaīs game ugly.

She didn't.

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM
So...what is it now?! Did Martina make those comments or not?!

Jamie
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Some people that post these negative posts about Martina sound like fraustrated individuals. Martina is a very talent player and has the game that these individuals would love for their favorites to have. Love her or hate her, Martina was a wonder to watch on the tennis courts. She alway's spoke her mind and 99 1/2% of the time, she was correct about comments she made. Martina is a very popular person and it's hard for some to accept this, so they will take any comment of hers and find a reason to add and critisize. Such hateful remarks and language. Where does your moral education come from?

DeDe4925
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:52 PM

bandabou, don't you realize by now that with LDV, no one can have anything better than Steffi? :lol:

DeDe4925
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM
I've never really cared that much about Serena's game to sit there and figure these things out. Maybe you could.
If you've never really cared enough to sit figure out her game or her techniques, how can you criticize her? :confused:

DeDe4925
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Billy Jean, haven't we told you about having multiple accounts, you sanctimonious, condescending beatch?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:07 PM
If you've never really cared enough to sit figure out her game or her techniques, how can you criticize her? :confused:

:lol: Interesting.....

LDVTennis
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:29 PM
:lol: Interesting.....

Very few of you get.

Tennis is more than flashy outfits, brute force, trash talking, race, nationality, and all the other things that drew most of you to the sport. At bottom, it is a game, with all kinds of shots, techniques, tactics, etc.

Most of you, I am sure, have never even picked up a racquet. Yet, somehow you have the audacity to think that you have more technical knowledge of the sport than someone who has, whether that be me or Martina Hingis.

From my point of view, Martina Hingis was being nice when she said that Serena lacks touch. The reality may just be that Serena has no idea how to hit the shots I classified as touch shots.

I know that because I've seen her play in person at least 10 times, that is more than many of you I am sure. From my boxseats, she's been no more than 30 feet away. Though her game bores me quickly, I've been able to muster enough interest each of those 10 times to figure out that she has particular technical issues with her strokes. I can see what the issues are. But, the truth is that her game isn't that interesting to me to unravel some of the more vexing problems with her game.

bandabou
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Very few of you get.

Tennis is more than flashy outfits, brute force, trash talking, race, nationality, and all the other things that drew most of you to the sport. At bottom, it is a game, with all kinds of shots, techniques, tactics, etc.

Most of you, I am sure, have never even picked up a racquet. Yet, somehow you have the audacity to think that you have more technical knowledge of the sport than someone who has, whether that be me or Martina Hingis.

From my point of view, Martina Hingis was being nice when she said that Serena lacks touch. The reality may just be that Serena has no idea how to hit the shots I classified as touch shots.

I know that because I've seen her play in person at least 10 times, that is more than many of you I am sure. From my boxseats, she's been no more than 30 feet away. Though her game bores me quickly, I've been able to muster enough interest each of those 10 times to figure out that she has particular technical issues with her strokes. I can see what the issues are. But, the truth is that her game isn't that interesting to me to unravel some of the more vexing problems with her game.

Itīs cool ldvtennis....as long as she posts her results and keeps beating pretty much everybody in the game then itīs fine with me.

Ugly, no touch, boring.....doesnīt matter. At the end of the day itīs RESULTS that matter and only a select few have posted better results or achieved more than Serena.

Jana, Gabby, even Martina herself...they all are thought of as having had a more beautiful game than Serena or being more talented....but look who has posted the results?!

DeDe4925
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Very few of you get.

This is such a fucking racist statement. Since when does Serena talk trash and what the hell does her race have to do with it? As a matter of fact, you have no earthly idea of what drew me or anyone else to this sport, but I can tell you this, Serena and Venus made it a lot more interesting. If you'd frequent this board more often, you'd see that most of the people who post actively play tennis. However, your narrow-mindedness and possibly racist attitude blinds you to this fact. You've yet to prove beyond your obsession with Steffi, your qualifications for being an expert on the technical knowledge of the sport, on the level of Martina Hingis no less. Your criticisms of Serena contradict all of the paid tennis experts that have coached, taught, written and commentated on her game. I'd love to see your resume. If your resume reflects that you are also an expert on the game, maybe then we can take your comments seriously. Until then STFU, because you obviously don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Jeleno Benesovo
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Martina is sooooooo right :yeah:

Veritas
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM
This is such a fucking racist statement.

:confused:

What did he/she say?

GoDominique
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Wow, it seems as if Serena has proven Martina partly wrong again! :)

G1Player2
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM
This is such a fucking racist statement. Since when does Serena talk trash and what the hell does her race have to do with it? As a matter of fact, you have no earthly idea of what drew me or anyone else to this sport, but I can tell you this, Serena and Venus made it a lot more interesting. If you'd frequent this board more often, you'd see that most of the people who post actively play tennis. However, your narrow-mindedness and possibly racist attitude blinds you to this fact. You've yet to prove beyond your obsession with Steffi, your qualifications for being an expert on the technical knowledge of the sport, on the level of Martina Hingis no less. Your criticisms of Serena contradict all of the paid tennis experts that have coached, taught, written and commentated on her game. I'd love to see your resume. If your resume reflects that you are also an expert on the game, maybe then we can take your comments seriously. Until then STFU, because you obviously don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

:worship: :lol: I remember this old ID of yours Denise. And yes, LDV is such a racist.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Wow, it seems as if Serena has proven Martina partly wrong again! :)

And yourself as well :bounce:

thomas.chung
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM
And yourself as well :bounce:

I think over the years Martina Hingis' view on this topic changed as she commented just during the AO about the Williamses. Nowadays, there are a lot of respect between these 3 amazing women and Davenport, and they seem to have gotten a lot better since. So I think bringing out a comment that was made a few years ago is just unfair to Martina.

Hingie
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I think over the years Martina Hingis' view on this topic changed as she commented just during the AO about the Williamses. Nowadays, there are a lot of respect between these 3 amazing women and Davenport, and they seem to have gotten a lot better since. So I think bringing out a comment that was made a few years ago is just unfair to Martina.

When has that ever stopped posters attempting to make a point?

What's with all of the old threads being bumped? No one is disputing Serena's greatness... seems a bit pointless to me. :confused:

heartBREAKeRS
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Martina Hinges will always be jealous of the Williams, she quite early in her prime because she could not handle the game anymore too hard & too fast for her so she is still pist deep down inside her................and look at her know can not keep away from the game, she need to go find a new career!!! and one other thing she will always be jealous of the williams they have other careers and not just tennis, Martina always live and breath tennis and she don't know what to do with herself just make comments about the williams..........she needs a LIFE!!!!!!

Absolutly right about that;) - She needs to shut her bad mouth to her selfs

volta
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Martina does not think about the sis like this anymore . right now they have respect for each other all 3 of them

pooh14
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Martina does not think about the sis like this anymore . right now they have respect for each other all 3 of them

exactly. initially there was alot bad mouthing between the 3.
however, as they grew up they really respected each other.

there was even a statement for hingis praising serena's game.
it was after a practise in Rome sometime back.

Mina Vagante
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM
lol martina makes me laugh :lol:

serena_anna
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
:)) ....she's so jealouse of williams sisters...i can't belive she' sad that..but..she always had to say something whit her big mouth...:(

thomas.chung
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
:)) ....she's so jealouse of williams sisters...i can't belive she' sad that..but..she always had to say something whit her big mouth...:(

you guys, this is 2007, not 2002, they have all grown up to be fine, competitive women. And they have certainly set their differences aside. You need to read the most comment by Hingis about Serena, she said something like Serena doesn't need to depend on her opponents to win, that to me is a BIG complement. We are not watching a Paris-Nicole drama here. So knock it off! :fiery:

papru
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Martina :lol:
she never liked Williams Sisters so why should she change her mind? :yeah:

thomas.chung
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Martina :lol:
she never liked Williams Sisters so why should she change her mind? :yeah:

How do you know she doesn't like the Williams sisters now?

Larrybidd
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I am wondering why the beginning posts in this thread are dated from 2003!!

I'm willing to let what Hingis may have said years ago, clearly frustrated about being driven off the tour, be in the past.

FrOzon
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
German tennis magazine "Matschball".

There is no German tennis magazine called "Matschball". "Matsch" means mud!

thomas.chung
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
There is no German tennis magazine called "Matschball". "Matsch" means mud!

LOL! "MUDBALL" wow, since when did tennis turn into "mudball"?

willrock
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
:haha:
Hingis always speaks her mind.
But Hingis seems to forget that her weaknesses are also her opponent's strength.
Serena is a powerful player everybody knows that.
Amelie is a, "let's say", mixing it up one...

Thanks GoDomique for this translation which is I think very well done...

FrOzon
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
LOL! "MUDBALL" wow, since when did tennis turn into "mudball"?

Since some posters have got an incredible ebullient fantasy!
Maybe I should have said that there's no German tm called "Matchball" (correct spelling) either. There's only one left which is called... "Tennismagazin" :angel:

:inlove:
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Beautiful games are sooo 1988.

austennis
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
martina might be a bitch at times (i love her for it) but she wouldnt diss serena like that