PDA

View Full Version : Bears in my front yard!

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:11 PM
On Monday evening, I went to put my dog on her run behind the house after dinner -- but when I got to the back door, there was a bear headed straight for me! :eek:

I rushed to get the camera, but by the time I got back, I saw the bear going around the corner of the house. So, I went to the front, hoping that the bear was coming around front, and not going back into the woods. I wasn't disappointed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Fedya/bear_web_01.jpg

(Apologies for the poor picture quality; it's taken through a window.)

I kept taking photos, and was rewarded by the appearance of a second bear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Fedya/bear_web_02.jpg

Note that I've circled the second bear, which is looking to eat a hanging plant that I've got hanging from a branch in the tree.

They walked around what passes for a front yard, eventually leaving:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Fedya/bear_web_03.jpg

There's actually an entire family of bears, which visited a few weeks back (sadly, I got no good photos of those bears), and I believe none of these bears is part of that family. The other family had a papa bear, a mama bear, an adolescent, and two cubs. I'm pretty certain these aren't the same bears, since the mama bear and the adolescent weren't the same size.

One of the neighbors down the road saw the papa bear, and (over)estimates its weight at ~350 lbs. I don't know if that's right, but the papa bear certainly is big -- when the whole family visited, I was out on the back steps trying to take photos, and I was no more than about 20-25 feet from the papa bear, staring it straight in the eyes.

Infiniti2001
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM
So cute, but please don't feed them--- word is they turn on humans when they 're really in need for food :p

P.S. What state??

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I would never feed the bears -- they already destroyed one of my bird feeders a few springs ago.

As for my location, what does it say in the profile to the left of my post? :)

Cassius
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Put honey in your garden if you want the bears to come back. It's well known that certain types of bears like honey.

P.S. What state??Shock. Scared shitless, I'd imagine.

I would never feed the bears -- they already destroyed one of my bird feeders a few springs ago.A bear destroyed your birdie feeder 'a few springs ago', and now you're punishing the whole bear race by not feeding any of them?
Boy, you sure know how to hold a grudge.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Cassius:

While I wouldn't mind having the bears come back in order to get another opportunity for better photos, I also know it's a terrible idea to leave food out for them. I also had a bear knock over my grill last summer.

And if you keep leaving stuff out for them, they keep coming back to the point of getting aggressive -- you absolutely don't want to get between a sow and her cubs. It was bad enough when I was "between" the boar and the rest of the bears, and that "between" was me standing on the back steps while the boar could go around the steps to get to the rest of the bears. I was actually several feet above the boar the entire time.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Are they your pets as well?

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Pfffftttt...I thaught you meant some really hot hairy muscular men...:rolleyes:

gentenaire
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM
:eek: :eek:

Just a few seconds ago there was a musquito in my bedroom. I didn't take any pics, I just killed it. That pretty much sums up the wildlife in my part of the world.

Have there been bad incidents involving bears, Ted? They haven't attacked any people, have they?

Mase
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Thats crazy Ted, be careful they can get agressive and you noted. Too much!

decemberlove
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:35 PM
you live in the catskills and you're excited about bears in your front yard? :p

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:09 PM
you live in the catskills and you're excited about bears in your front yard? :p
I'm not into bears...I like them slim and toned...:p

Infiniti2001
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I would never feed the bears -- they already destroyed one of my bird feeders a few springs ago.

As for my location, what does it say in the profile to the left of my post? :)

Yeah, I saw it after I posted, but was to lazy too edit :p Meanwhile, there are so many stories about bears getting into people's houses and helping themselves to whatever food is lying around. They also love taking dips in outdoor pools :lol:

Mase
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I'm not into bears...I like them slim and toned...:p
I can vouch for that.. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/redface.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/lick.gif

esquímaux
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:52 PM
That's freaky :scared: You should have them sent back to Jellystone Park :lol:

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:53 AM
ohh, scary and exciting all at once! :bounce:

Next time put the camera all the way against the window and you won't get that effect. ;)

Mase
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Watch your chocolate! :haha:

Bear ransacks kitchen, steals chocolate

Wednesday, September 29, 2004 Posted: 9:13 PM EDT (0113 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (Reuters) -- It's a tale of man against nature. A paralyzed man in Aspen, Colorado, lay helplessly in bed for two hours while a black bear known as "Fat Albert" went through his kitchen breaking dishes and looking for a tasty snack.

"I had 4 pounds (2 kg) of chocolate from a ski trip. He ate it all -- it's war," Tom Isaac said, recounting with a sense of humor how the 500-pound (230-kg) bear made himself at home at his house on September 20.

"I could hear things breaking for two hours," he said of the bear's "visit" to his home.

Isaac's bedroom was only about 10 to 15 feet (3-5 meters) from the kitchen, and he feared the bear would come in and attack him.

This time of year bears are busy fattening up before going into hibernation and residents in mountain towns often recount stories of rummaging bears.

In fact, Isaac, who has been paralyzed since a skiing accident in the early 1980s, says his home has been invaded nearly a half dozen times by the bear Aspenites call "Fat Albert."

"The next afternoon the wildlife agents found him sleeping in my dining room," Isaac said.

Isaac, who holds elective office as the Pitkin County assessor, said he does not want to see the bear shot, but he is worried about how the needs of residents can be balanced against the needs of wildlife.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Gentenaire,

Fortunately, there haven't been any "incidents" -- just a bunch of sightings. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and apparently the bears like to rummage through people's garbage, so there have been lots of signs of the bears having done that.

The bears may like whatever food gets left out, but that doesn't mean they actually want contact with humans. I walk back in the woods quite a bit, since there are a bunch of trails there, and I usually only come across the bears two or three times a season -- and even then, the bears' response is usually to walk off in the other direction. It's only now that they've decided to come to the house three times in the past month. :eek:

Decemberlove, what I'm excited about is the opportunity to get good pictures of the bears! :) I had a bear knock over my grill last summer, and when I mentioned this on another forum, there were folks who were somewhat disbelieving of me. Now I've got photos to prove that I've been visited by the bears. But I'd like to have better photos. :D

decemberlove
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Decemberlove, what I'm excited about is the opportunity to get good pictures of the bears! :) I had a bear knock over my grill last summer, and when I mentioned this on another forum, there were folks who were somewhat disbelieving of me. Now I've got photos to prove that I've been visited by the bears. But I'd like to have better photos. :Dahh ok. they must've never been to the catskills before.

i live in southern new jersey and we've had a BUNCH of bear sightings in the area recently cos all the development in north jersey has forced them to relocate to the pine barrens. there's always been black bears around here, but now there are many. they have yet to attack a human or even a domesticated animal, but people around here are still afraid of them and want them out of their neighborhood. last year, they allowed bear hunting and killed about 500 bears. isn't that horrible? i feel so bad for them cos they haven't done anything wrong. we are forcing them out of their natural habitat and then killing them as punishment for moving. :mad: