PDA

View Full Version : From next year WTA doesn't want any top 15 player to play Tier III tournaments

spiceboy
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:10 PM
That's what I think after seeing most of the Tier III draws as a 32 players field :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good news for lower ranked players though ;)

Tier III with a 30 players field

Strasbourg
Istanbul
S'Hertogenbosch
Bali

Tier III with a 32 players field

Gold Coast
Pattaya City
Memphis
Bogota
Acapulco
Cincinatti
Sopot
Guangzhou
Tokyo
Hasselt
Luxembourg
Quebec City

SJW
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM
how are they gonna stop them?

WTA Tour = :rolleyes:

Whatzup
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
That wouldn't be that good for 's-Hertogenbosch.. there are always some top 10 players in the main draw.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
should make Tier II's 32 draws as well ;)

Richie77
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
The tour should get rid of byes period. Not only would it give lower-ranked players a few more opportunities, it would guarantee one more match from a top-ranked player (and gate attraction).

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:30 PM
It is just like this: top players should ALWAYS ALWAYS play the higher rated tournament. If there´s a tier II and a tier III the same week then the tier II should ALWAYS be the one to pick. Simple.

jonny84
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I agree - byes should go.

Svennovitch
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I think every player has the right to choose her own schedule, no matter what tier the tournaments are. I don't see what's wrong in playing a lower tier tournament. Playing a lot of low-tier tournaments will automatically lead to a lower ranking (because less points to earn).

I think the WTA should stop obligating players to play certain tournaments. If a player chooses not to play a tournament, it's because she thinks rest is needed !

But I agree: byes should go!!

Shooter
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:46 PM
The freedom to choose which tournament to play in should not be taken away from the players. They may have very good reasons not to want to play in a certain city. If you try to force them to play where they don't want to, they'll simply not play that week.

Also, forcing top players to play Tier II events over Tier III events might take away the incentive for a Tier III event to try to put on a good tournament. Maybe top players pick certain Tier III's over Tier II's because those Tier III's are run well, OR the Tier II's are not run well?

The more choice you give the players, the better.

rhz
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:14 PM
It's up to them to play whatever tournament they wish!! and I agree if WTA should get rid of byes!!!

Volcana
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:39 AM
It is just like this: top players should ALWAYS ALWAYS play the higher rated tournament. If there´s a tier II and a tier III the same week then the tier II should ALWAYS be the one to pick. Simple.Jeez! Have a little sympathy for the organizers of the Tier III's, IV's and V's! Getting a top fifteen player into their tournament can be the difference between financial success and failure.

My guess would be that getting Sharapova to play Hansol made the organizers more money than it cost them. Why should they be denied that opportunity? Sharapova is #1 seed at Hansol. Seeds #2- #7 all lost theor first or second match. The presence of a top ten player allows that tournament to still be profitable.

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:43 AM
No Top 15 players for the Gold Coast? Don't think so! :rolleyes: They can't stop them, anyway.

Gowza
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:44 AM
i could see why they wouldnt want top 15 players playing tier 3's or lower because it means they wont play as many higher tier events which takes away from depth and competitiveness and marketing etc. but that would also mean tier 3s will be worse off crowd wise, marketing wise plus the players playing those events wont get as much of a chance to player the higher ranked players so they wont compete at that level and make it harder for them to improve to the next level. and also it would mean that the top players that are slumping and need a few wins couldnt drop down and get those wins.

i think the players should be able to play the events they want to, if that is what the wta wants then how are they going to stop them, they should let them.

darrinbaker00
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:46 AM
The tour should get rid of byes period. Not only would it give lower-ranked players a few more opportunities, it would guarantee one more match from a top-ranked player (and gate attraction).
AMEN!! If the women would get rid of first-round byes and play best-of-five for the majors, my chauvinistic Y-chromosome counterparts would have no reason to give the women less prize money.

Gowza
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:57 AM
yeah i reckon get rid of byes as well, works for the fans and the tournaments, tournaments get the extra money from the extra match and the fans get the extra match from the top player. like miami, all those byes, it's to many. lower ranked players could be there having a chance to get some more points.

spiceboy
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:07 AM
For the record... It's just spiceboy theory... The WTA never said themselves that they don't want any top 15 players to play Tier III.
Exactly ;)

spiceboy
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:17 AM
No Top 15 players for the Gold Coast? Don't think so! :rolleyes: They can't stop them, anyway.
Certainly not Gold Coast as it takes place at the beginning of the season but do you think Lindsay would have played this year Cincinatti having a Tuesday start (the latest) after her Californian tour? or Kuznetsova had played Bali in the other part of the world after winning a GS 2 days earlier? I think this is gonna be a major problem for tournaments like Hasselt or Luxemburg that take place at the end of the season...especially Lux that shares week with Linz, I know Kim loves that tournament but playing 5 matches in a row when she can play 4 in linz with a prize mone 4 times bigger :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sylvain
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I think every player has the right to choose her own schedule, no matter what tier the tournaments are. I don't see what's wrong in playing a lower tier tournament. Playing a lot of low-tier tournaments will automatically lead to a lower ranking (because less points to earn).

I think the WTA should stop obligating players to play certain tournaments. If a player chooses not to play a tournament, it's because she thinks rest is needed !

But I agree: byes should go!!I completely agree with you!!!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Hasn't Kim committed to play Hasselt till at least 2006? If that is right then hasselt will have a top player

Lemonskin.
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Like it would happen. You think ANYONE whould have come to the Korea Open if not for Maria? (yes i know its tier IV). They got about 100x the amount of people come because of Maria. It's the only way the little tourneys will survive.