PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters To Take McDonald Tour

tennisIlove09
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Williams Sisters To Take McDonald Tour
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/SerenaBobbleAngleGood.jpg
Photo By Ron Angle By Tennis Week
09/29/2004

Serena Williams may never supplant sister Venus with the Hamburglar as her doubles partner, but the Williams sisters will take their tennis talents on the road benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities in conjunction with McDonald's World Children's Day.
The McDonald's Williams Sisters Tour, featuring Venus and Serena Williams as well as other celebrities in a series of three one-night events, makes it debut in Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta. The Tour begins in Chicago at the UIC Pavilion on November 17th, moves to Detroit at The Palace at Auburn Hills on November 18th and finishes in Atlanta at Philips Arena on December 2nd. A portion of the proceeds from each tour stop will benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities and other local charitable organizations in each city.

ESPN will accompany the tour with plans to broadcast a behind-the-scenes special event on the McDonald's Williams Sisters Tour. Prior to each night's match, Venus and Serena will spend time in each community, visiting local Ronald McDonald Houses, schools, hospitals and participating in local community activities.

"We want to promote the game of tennis while supporting worthwhile causes in each of these cities," Serena Williams said. "We're excited to be working with McDonald's and Ronald McDonald House Charities to be able to give something back to communities throughout the United States."

Tickets will go on sale for the Chicago and Detroit events on Friday, October 1st, at 10 a.m. Eastern time and for the Atlanta event on Friday, October 8th at 10 am. Eastern. They will be available through Ticketmaster at (800) 326-4000, the arena box offices and Ticketmaster.com (http://www.ticketmaster.com/). Ticket prices start at $15. A limited number of VIP courtside tickets are available which include an invitation to a VIP reception attended by Venus and Serena. USTA and ALTA members (Atlanta) are entitled to special McDonald's Williams Sisters Tour ticket discounts.

"We are excited about bringing professional tennis to Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta, three cities that support the sport strongly, but do not regularly host tour events," said Venus Williams. "We plan on creating a fun evening of exciting, entertaining tennis for fans of the game and our fans. Neither of us likes to lose, ever, so you will see a hard-fought match in each city."

Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC), a nonprofit organization creates, finds and supports programs that directly improve the health and well being of children. Its programs are grassroots-driven to enable the Charity to offer help where children need it most, right in their own communities. RMHC fulfills its mission by creating programs that address targeted needs, and by supporting these programs through its global network of more than 180 local Chapters in nearly 50 countries. RMHC and its local Chapters have awarded more than $400 million in grants and program services to children's programs around the world. For more information about Ronald McDonald House Charities and the Ronald McDonald House program, visit Ronald McDonald House (http://www.rmhc.org/).

darrinbaker00
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Venus and Serena have just released a statement through their new lawyers (Dewey, Cheatham and Howe) that four more dates have been added to the tour:

Jan. 29, 2005, Rod Laver Court, Melbourne, AUS
June 5, 2005, Court Philippe Chatrier, Paris, FRA
July 2, 2005, Centre Court, Wimbledon, GBR
Sept. 10, 2005, Arthur Ashe Stadium, New York, NY, USA

Govern yourselves accordingly, ladies and gentlemen. ;)

Knizzle
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Venus and Serena have just released a statement through their new lawyers (Dewey, Cheatham and Howe) that four more dates have been added to the tour:

Jan. 29, 2005, Rod Laver Court, Melbourne, AUS
June 5, 2005, Court Philippe Chatrier, Paris, FRA
July 2, 2005, Centre Court, Wimbledon, GBR
Sept. 10, 2005, Arthur Ashe Stadium, New York, NY, USA

Govern yourselves accordingly, ladies and gentlemen. ;)
:haha: :yeah:

LefandePatty
Jun 14th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Does the McDonald Tour still exist?

Panther24
Jun 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Does the McDonald Tour still exist?

I read the whole OP and was asking myself...

Awesome! But Did they renew their McDonalds sponsorship? :hysteric: :spit:

Then saw the actual date...

Hazelwood
Jun 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Didn't Seles sponsor McDonald's?

LefandePatty
Jun 14th, 2014, 01:01 PM

I thought organizing those events was a great idea and they seemed to have a lot of fun taking part in it back then :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SI3wxvzXg1I/AAAAAAAAD0g/8pMZrOfmDPQ/s400/serena+big+mac.jpg

http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/USTA_Import/images/sitecore_usta/USTA/Media%20Assets/2003/02/12/img_13_3168_258.jpg

Kuzzy24
Jun 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Yea they're still sponsored. Serena was promoting McDonald's at the Olympics in 2012.

Panther24
Jun 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I thought organizing those events was a great idea and they seemed to have a lot of fun taking part in it back then :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SI3wxvzXg1I/AAAAAAAAD0g/8pMZrOfmDPQ/s400/serena+big+mac.jpg

http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/USTA_Import/images/sitecore_usta/USTA/Media%20Assets/2003/02/12/img_13_3168_258.jpg

Nice. :)

Yea they're still sponsored. Serena was promoting McDonald's at the Olympics in 2012.

Really? I thought they didn't anymore.

Good to know. :)

Robson Bouchard
Jun 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Here's a interesting fact, I have never eaten a McDonalds burger. Nor one from Burger King for that matter. Amazing or what!? :)

Mistress of Evil
Jun 14th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Spreading diabetesobesity since 2004.

http://media.giphy.com/media/14l9Q0UmmJGWsg/giphy.gif

JN
Jun 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mistress of Evil;44472729]Spreading diabetesobesity since 2004.
/QUOTE]

All things in moderation... even your trolling.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

atominside
Jun 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Double standards :)

Hazelwood
Jun 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Here's a interesting fact, I have never eaten a McDonalds burger. Nor one from Burger King for that matter. Amazing or what!? :)

Too expensive in your country?

JN
Jun 14th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Double standards :)

I pray you''re not a Povatard.

harloo
Jun 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM

I know you aren't talking when your fave is peddling Sugapova to little girls. You need to have several seats.:lol::haha::haha:

Pawcio765
Jun 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM
JN, calm down gurlll

I also think that a sportswoman shouldn't promote fast food restaurants...

$erena has showed up here and it's ok... Everybody is doing that. Just look at SUGARpova :facepalm: or Aga's Cheesecake :rolleyes:

Well... it's not ok, but you know.... money rules the world, how they say ;/ Sad but true

Beat
Jun 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
mcdonald's? wow, that's even worse than candy. but then again, looks who sponsors the FIFA world cup :help:

Rogue.
Jun 14th, 2014, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Mistress of Evil;44472729]Spreading diabetesobesity since 2004.
/QUOTE]

All things in moderation... even your trolling.

Eh McDonald's is pretty repulsive :lol:

If we're talking fast food the only one I can stomach is Wendy's :drool:

tonybotz
Jun 14th, 2014, 07:12 PM
say what you want about the food quality of McDonald's - the Ronald McDonald House is an amazing charity that actually gives back to the community in tremendous ways. I see no problem with the William sisters aligning themselves with this charity.

edificio
Jun 14th, 2014, 07:16 PM
http://woodlawnpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/serena-williams-team-usa-basketball-olympics-london-mcdonalds-mobli.jpg
or just eating there, because it was the vendor? :shrug:

I can't believe someone dug up a ten-year old thread about this. :rolleyes:

LefandePatty
Jun 14th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I can't believe someone dug up a ten-year old thread about this. :rolleyes:

Sorry but it's always more interesting than those 'Greatest 2-Time French Open Champion' or 'Who is the best at Wimbledon of these three???' threads :)

Wing Man Frank
Jun 14th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Bet they'll take Taylor Townsend with them. That girl has never turned down an invite to McDonald's.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM
say what you want about the food quality of McDonald's - the Ronald McDonald House is an amazing charity that actually gives back to the community in tremendous ways. I see no problem with the William sisters aligning themselves with this charity.
Well, the Koch Brothers just gave 25 million dollars to the United Negro College Fund. Does that erase their vile history of racism?

Oh, and if the McDonald's corporation was so charitable maybe they can provide decent wages to their employees rather than the latter having to work their asses off and still having to rely on food stamps to barely get by.

superstition
Jun 14th, 2014, 09:19 PM

Shh... it's a charity which means it has to be good.

It's not really stealth marketing... nah...

superstition
Jun 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM
If we're talking fast food the only one I can stomach is Wendy's :drool:
Wendy's burgers are really low-grade. They're more bits of chopped gristle than anything else. They're full of nodules and chewy round bits. And, half the time the fry chef doesn't scrape the grill enough so they get the black scorched grease coating on them.

But, yes, they're still more edible than McDonald's. :lol:

Remove the flavoring chemicals and fast food burgers probably taste like dust.

Hazelwood
Jun 14th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Well, the Koch Brothers just gave 25 million dollars to the United Negro College Fund. Does that erase their vile history of racism?

Oh, and if the McDonald's corporation was so charitable maybe they can provide decent wages to their employees rather than the latter having to work their asses off and still having to rely on food stamps to barely get by.

The Koch's racists???

And NcDonald's should pay more than the law of demand and supply says?

What sort of commie are you??:lol:

Hazelwood
Jun 14th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Wendy's burgers are really low-grade. They're more bits of chopped gristle than anything else. They're full of nodules and chewy round bits. And, half the time the fry chef doesn't scrape the grill enough so they get the black scorched grease coating on them.

But, yes, they're still more edible than McDonald's. :lol:

Remove the flavoring chemicals and fast food burgers probably taste like dust.

Actually the meat at McDonald's is quite good, at least here in Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium.

superstition
Jun 14th, 2014, 10:01 PM
The Koch's racists???
:rolleyes:

Let me guess. You don't know anything about them just like most things. Their policies are clearly elitist and that translates into racism in the USA at least.

And NcDonald's should pay more than the law of demand and supply says?
Pining for legalized slavery again, are we?

It's always "legal", of course, just not in name.

Hazelwood
Jun 14th, 2014, 10:10 PM
:rolleyes:

Let me guess. You don't know anything about them just like most things. Their policies are clearly elitist and that translates into racism in the USA at least.

Pining for legalized slavery again, are we?

It's always "legal", of course, just not in name.

No one pays more for goods or services than necessary. Not you, not me, not McDonald's.

And alleged "elitist"(?) policies "translates into racism" only in your disturbed mind, kid. Everybody who disagrees with people like you is "racist", "sexist" or "homophobe", right? What a douche you are ...

RVD
Jun 14th, 2014, 10:15 PM
http://woodlawnpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/serena-williams-team-usa-basketball-olympics-london-mcdonalds-mobli.jpg
or just eating there, because it was the vendor? :shrug:

I can't believe someone dug up a ten-year old thread about this. :rolleyes:So am I, but since we're on the subject... :hehehe:

I know folks ain't trying to compare McDonalds to Sugarpova.
With McDonalds, you at least actually have a choice of eating healthy. :lol:

Btw, I remember this sponsored tour and found it a great idea as an outreach starting point.
Even though I don't eat their meals, there are tons of people around the world who actually do.
Can the tour's sole sugar-diabetes-peddler say the same? :devil:

superstition
Jun 14th, 2014, 10:17 PM
A small amount of sugar candy can actually curb appetite which leads to less consumption of things like fries fried in blackened trans fat oil and soy cheese filled with aluminum to make it melt easier.

This is the same principle behind criticism of diet soda. Some research found that drinking a small amount of sugar soda before a fast food meal led to less overall caloric intake.

Cutting the sugar out of one's diet is ideal, but substituting it with unhealthy food like french fries isn't.

Sam L
Jun 15th, 2014, 01:43 AM
So am I, but since we're on the subject... :hehehe:

Btw, I remember this sponsored tour and found it a great idea as an outreach starting point.
Even though I don't eat their meals, there are tons of people around the world who actually do.
Can the tour's sole sugar-diabetes-peddler say the same? :devil:

Exactly! You can just have something healthy like a salad and water from McDonald's but every Sugarpova bag comes with sugar.

Plus, owning a company is very different form just being sponsored by a company. I mean she actively went out of her way to create an unhealthy product.

But not surprised that Emma Roberts wannabe can't see the difference. :tape:

JN
Jun 15th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Exactly! You can just have something healthy like a salad and water from McDonald's but every Sugarpova bag comes with sugar.

Plus, owning a company is very different form just being sponsored by a company. I mean she actively went out of her way to create an unhealthy product.

But not surprised that Emma Roberts wannabe can't see the difference. :tape:

SDS

RVD
Jun 15th, 2014, 03:50 AM

But not surprised that Emma Roberts wannabe can't see the difference. :tape:These Pova supporters just keep getting shot down, don't they?
Evidently, she a talent of attracting masochists. :help: :lol:

superstition
Jun 15th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Choice is interesting. When people are given larger servings they generally eat more. When people are in a fast food restaurant they are probably more likely to eat something like french fries. The smell alone is too much for some people to resist (a strategy Burger King relies on by smoking up the air near the restaurant).

Food Inc. is an interesting documentary because it ties the rise of fast food with the crushing of smaller farmers by huge conglomerates, as well as other negative outcomes. I haven't seen Super Size Me yet, but plan to.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/Super_Size_Me_Poster.jpg

Spurlock implies that McDonald's should be held responsible at least for its advertising aimed at children. I agree with this. But I also think that adults ought to know what they are doing.

Does every adult have the time and resources to become a dietician, especially if they grew up on such a diet?

malarkist
Jun 15th, 2014, 05:01 AM
the debates :hysteric:

Rogue.
Jun 15th, 2014, 05:07 AM
We live in a world where Coke sponsors the Olympics. Let's all relax guys :lol:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM
A small amount of sugar candy can actually curb appetite which leads to less consumption of things like fries fried in blackened trans fat oil and soy cheese filled with aluminum to make it melt easier.

This is the same principle behind criticism of diet soda. Some research found that drinking a small amount of sugar soda before a fast food meal led to less overall caloric intake.

Cutting the sugar out of one's diet is ideal, but substituting it with unhealthy food like french fries isn't.

a little bit of Sugar for athletes is actually not too bad

also a little candy every now and then either isn't too bad

It's also considered a gourmet candy (typically smaller portions).

However, when I first heard of this I was a little bit puzzled because it is an unhealthy product for the most port and as an athlete, where her focal point should be her health and promoting other people's health (who don't exercise as much as she does), she should be using different ingredients, such as more natural sweeteners // ones less likely to raise blood sugar, which should make even more sense since it is a gourmet candy.

but Sugarpova is a candy brand whereas McDonald's is a whole restaurant / food establishment so I don't really think the comparison makes sense.

superstition
Jun 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Sugarpova is a candy brand whereas McDonald's is a whole restaurant / food establishment so I don't really think the comparison makes sense.
One argument linking them is that both are unhealthy superfluous burdens on society where profit comes before well-being.

Others will say a little indulgence is worth the consequences.

The rise of fast food in Japan is leading them, particularly younger people, to have obesity and clogged arteries. Japan was once heralded as having the healthiest per capita diet in the world (although smoking was very common and mercury from coal plants has made the high-fish diet less advantageous).

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 15th, 2014, 05:18 AM
One argument linking them is that both are unhealthy superfluous burdens on society where profit comes before well-being.

Others will say a little indulgence is worth the consequences.

The rise of fast food in Japan is leading them, particularly younger people, to have obesity and clogged arteries. Japan was once heralded as having the healthiest per capita diet in the world.

Yes, I agree... but what I'm getting at is....

...one of these is owned by the athlete The other sponsors the athlete.
...one of these is advertised as an infrequent snack towards bourgeoisie the other is advertised as somewhere for your whole family, especially your poor family, to come have a whole meal