PDA

View Full Version : Davenport To Play Sharapova In Shriver's Charity Event

tennisIlove09
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Davenport To Play Sharapova In Shriver's Charity Event
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/Davclothes.jpg
Photo By Art Seitz By Tennis Week
09/29/2004

Wimbledon winners will face off in a Friday night showdown in Baltimore. Reigning Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova meets 1999 Wimbledon winner Lindsay Davenport in the Mercantile Tennis Challenge on Friday, December 17th at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore, Maryland, tournament founder and chairman Pam Shriver announced today.
This is the first time the two will meet since Sharapova’s victory over Davenport in an epic semifinal duel at the 2004 Wimbledon Championships, where Sharapova prevailed in three sets 2-6, 7-6(5),6-1 on her way to winning her first Grand Slam title.

"I am thrilled that Lindsay will be able to add the Tennis Challenge to her 2004 playing schedule," Shriver said. "She has had such an incredible year and we are looking forward to having her showcase her remarkable tennis talents again right here in Baltimore. One thing is for sure, with Davenport and Sharapova on board, we have all the ingredients for an awesome and spectacular night of top-notch tennis."

The 29-year-old Davenport is one of the hottest players on tour. Since an upset loss in the semifinals to Sharapova at Wimbledon this year, she has put together an incredible string of victories that included titles at Stanford, Los Angeles, San Diego and Cincinnati. Riding an 18-match winning streak entering the U.S. Open, she ran off another five matches before succumbing in a semifinal battle to eventual champion, Svetlana Kuznetsova, after wearing down and succumbing to a hip injury suffered a few hours before the match.

The second-ranked Davenport has amassed 43 career WTA Tour singles titles, including three Grand Slam victories (1998 U.S. Open, 1999 Wimbledon and 2000 Australian Open) and 35 career doubles titles. She has the unique distinction of being one of only a handful of players to reach No. 1 in both the singles and doubles world rankings and also has finished the year ranked in the Top 20 in singles for 12 straight years. This year, she also became the tenth player in the Open Era to win 40 or more titles and the fourth player to surpass the $17 million mark in prize money earned.

The 17-year-old Sharapova shocked the tennis world by defeating two-time defending champion Serena Williams at this year’s Wimbledon to capture the singles crown. Currently ranked eighth in the world on the WTA Tour, her meteoric rise to the world’s elite players began with a big splash at the 2003 Wimbledon Championships, where she reached the fourth round in her first main draw singles appearance. She improved 154 spots in the WTA Tour rankings, finishing the year at No. 32 with singles titles at Japan and Quebec City. In 2004, her success has continued, sweeping the singles and double titles in Birmingham before her dramatic run to the title at Wimbledon.

The Mercantile Tennis Challenge presented by the Baltimore Sun is played to benefit the Baltimore Community Foundation (BCF), a publicly endowed nonprofit organization that donates proceeds to area children’s charities. Since the event’s inception in 1986, over $3.4 million has been distributed through the BCF Tennis Challenge Fund to child-related causes.

Tickets for the 2004 Mercantile Tennis Challenge presented by The Baltimore Sun are now on sale and range in price from $20-$100. Tickets can be purchased at the 1st Mariner Arena Box Office (410) 347-2010 and all TICKETMASTER locations. To charge by phone, call (410) 547-SEAT. Additional ticket and sponsorship information can be obtained by calling the Tournament Office at (410) 296-2929 or by visiting the official Tennis Challenge (http://www.tennischallenge.org/) web site.

lindsayno1
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:41 PM
oooooooooooooooh

Elske
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM
The 29-year-old Davenport she's 28 :angel:

LindsayRocks89
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM
that will be a good match

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I love Maria and Lindsay but I fear that if this is played anywhere but grass or clay, Lindsay will murder Masha in her current form :sad:

I imagine it will be played on hardcourts...

Elldee
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I think the most fair match up would be grass, but as I love Lindsay I hope it's hardcourts.

I just hope they have a fun time and enjoy the experience; it's all for a good cause.

Russia Rules
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I love Maria and Lindsay but I fear that if this is played anywhere but grass or clay, Lindsay will murder Masha in her current form :sad:

I imagine it will be played on hardcourts...

not sure about murder, but anyway i think it should be a great match!

lindsayno1
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM
damn right!

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM
This is great!!! I live in Pasadena which is like 10 mins away from The Arena so i am definitly going to get tickets. This should be fun because i have never been to any kind of professional tennis event cuz none really come around her except for the Leg Mason and the Advanta which is kinda far away. Even though i dont really like either of them.. it still should be fun.