PDA

View Full Version : Henin "still ill"; may not play Filderstadt

JonBcn
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:31 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3700332.stm

Henin-Hardenne fitness fear

Olympic champion Justine Henin-Hardenne has revealed she is still troubled by a virus and may miss the Porsche Grand Prix in Germany next week.

After winning gold in Athens, the former world number one felt ill at the US Open and lost in the fourth round.

"Some days it's OK, others are less so. It is still up and down, which is normal with such a virus," she said.

"I'm still not certain whether I will be able to participate in the Filderstadt tournament." The 22-year-old, who has dropped to third in the WTA rankings, first experienced the energy-sapping virus in April. She made a brief comeback attempt at the French Open, where she was eliminated in the second round, before roaring back to take Olympic gold in August.

Daniel
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Justine, get well soon :hug:

rue
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM
what a shame, if she does not feel hundred percent then maybe she should rest a bit more and see how things go. We just want her to be hundred percent and playing good tennis.

Greenout
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
:haha: The BBC!

It's just a portion of a very long interview from yesterday.
We're discussing it in J-Time.

She mainly said that if she doesn't play Filderstadt, she might add
in an extra event after Zurich before the YEC.

She's not dead, folks- very much alive. Well enough to
give a pontificating interview.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Now I'm confused...how long does it take exactly to get over mono? I had it last summer and about 10 days after I was diagnosed, I was back on court playing a 2 out of 3 set doubles match. Granted it was doubles and I was fairly winded after, but after about 6 weeks I was back to full strength. Should it really be taking THIS long to recover?

lizchris
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Now I'm confused...how long does it take exactly to get over mono? I had it last summer and about 10 days after I was diagnosed, I was back on court playing a 2 out of 3 set doubles match. Granted it was doubles and I was fairly winded after, but after about 6 weeks I was back to full strength. Should it really be taking THIS long to recover?

It takes 12 weeks of bed rest to get over mono, which is what I thik she has.

I hope she gets better soon.:sad:

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:45 PM
And some people were getting critisized for taking their time after a surgery... sometimes injuries are just frickle.

azmad_88
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:56 PM

maybe she is scared of kim..who knows rite

boggs570
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3700332.stm

Henin-Hardenne fitness fear

Olympic champion Justine Henin-Hardenne has revealed she is still troubled by a virus and may miss the Porsche Grand Prix in Germany next week.

After winning gold in Athens, the former world number one felt ill at the US Open and lost in the fourth round.

"Some days it's OK, others are less so. It is still up and down, which is normal with such a virus," she said.

"I'm still not certain whether I will be able to participate in the Filderstadt tournament." The 22-year-old, who has dropped to third in the WTA rankings, first experienced the energy-sapping virus in April. She made a brief comeback attempt at the French Open, where she was eliminated in the second round, before roaring back to take Olympic gold in August.

Cough, cough, cough with the excuses. :tape:

tennisfan22
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM

don't be ridiculous :rolleyes:

Kim is a great player and so is Justine and neither are afraid of each other just because they lost to0 each other a few times

tennisfan22
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Cough, cough, cough with the excuses. :tape:

whats Venus' and Serena' s excuses for not winning the US open ?
:)

boggs570
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Might I add..the same as jhh and cheating. Everyone is coming back from some sort of injury or the other but when it comes to the sisters everyone critizes them and jump down their throats when they don't win...mind you, even though they also were out for almost a year.

You see this is where the double standards come in all the time.

lizchris
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM

What the hell do Venus, Serena and Kim have to do with Justine's illness?

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM
If Justine with a virus can´t get past Tatiana garbin on clay and then can´t get past Nadia on hardcourts, why should we expect Serena to win match after match when she too is recovering from a knee surgery?!

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Yay, so will Serena get a seed!! Thats all I care about! ;)

Yasmine
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:37 PM
We're not here to start a kim-juju fight thanks! :eek:
I hope she feels better soon. :angel:

lizchris
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Justine's illness could affect the YEC if she doens't get better by then. If she is to ill to compete, then whoever ends up in the 9th position will qualify.

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Justine's illness could affect the YEC if she doens't get better by then. If she is to ill to compete, then whoever ends up in the 9th position will qualify.
So will she get a seed for Filderstadt if JHH pulls out?

lizchris
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
So will she get a seed for Filderstadt if JHH pulls out?

I think so, but I think Serena would have been seeded anyway because this tournament would be the last one she is able to use her special seeding.

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:04 PM
I think so, but I think Serena would have been seeded anyway because this tournament would be the last one she is able to use her special seeding.
Nah, the WTATour counted the Canadian Open as a tournament where Serena used her seed, so Beijing was her last one. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/frown.gif The Porsche website has Serena as #9 on the entry list.

lizchris
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Nah, the WTATour counted the Canadian Open as a tournament where Serena used her seed, so Beijing was her last one. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/frown.gif The Porsche website has Serena as #9 on the entry list.

I guess they counted the Canadian Open because she pulled out after the draw was made. Well, in that case, if Justine pulls out, then Serena will be seeded.

veryborednow
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Now I'm confused...how long does it take exactly to get over mono?I was diagnosed in January and I still can't function at a decent level without 10/11 hours sleep .... It's crap :sad:

Allez-H
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Oh,yeah that must be it...You're totally right,Justine always has been freakin' scared of her...She must be hiding under covers right now...Man,I hope she sleeps early cuz Kim is gonna make her comeback tonight and that's not good for liL' Jujunette :scared:

SerenaSlam
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
that is what i am talking about, i had it this summer, and honestly yes it did have me for about a good month, but im over it now.

th eonly hoest thing i can say is, that it does w/out a doubt zap all your energy. so maybe Justine has a poor imune system or somthing who knows. hope she gets better.

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Damn, whats up with all you people having Mono? lol

saki
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:04 PM
We're not here to start a kim-juju fight thanks! :eek:
I hope she feels better soon. :angel:
:yeah:

I'm not too worried, it sounds as though her illness is just quite variable and there will be weeks where she's just not up to playing but that won't mean that she can't play the week after. Viruses just seem to be like that.

GoDominique
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I thought Justine did NOT have mono.

boggs570
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
If Justine with a virus can´t get past Tatiana garbin on clay and then can´t get past Nadia on hardcourts, why should we expect Serena to win match after match when she too is recovering from a knee surgery?!

Thank you Bandabou.

esquímaux
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
She's still ill :unsure: What virus does she have again?????

boggs570
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I think what she has is worse than Mono but I will keep my opinion to myself.

Allez-H
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM
CMV,a similar very similar virus to mono but it isn't mono

GoDominique
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Of course, lizchris (who is famous for her long-distance diagnoses) says she has mono, so it must be true.

Juju #1
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Justine will play in Filderstadt...

Justeenium
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM

it was something like Mono. anyways I'm a justine fan and for some reason I think coach Carlos is actually the one coming up with the excuses.

but heh, I think the excuse was legit at RG, i mean look next tournament she wins olympic gold!

Elske
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Justine will play in Filderstadt... nope she won't, they just said it on the news, it's official now. Justine won't play in filderstadt.

Svennovitch
It's official: she won't play Filderstadt. It was just on the news here in Belgium.

Svennovitch
Elske :p

Justeenium
It's official: she won't play Filderstadt. It was just on the news here in Belgium.

damn it, well hope she adds Linz then

tennisIlove09
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Virus May Force Henin-Hardenne Out Of Filderstadt
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HeninPZimmer6.jpg
Photo By Paul Zimmer By Tennis Week
09/29/2004

The virus that sidelined Justine Henin-Hardenne for three months earlier this season may force her to withdraw from next week's Porsche Grand Prix in Filderstadt, Germany. Henin-Hardenne's health has fluctuated in recent weeks.
"Some days it's OK, others are less so. It is still up and down, which is normal with such a virus," said Henin-Hardenne, who was initially stricken with the virus in April. "I'm still not certain whether I will be able to participate in the Filderstadt tournament."

The former No. 1 ended a three-month sabbatical from tournament tennis with a triumphant return at the Athens Olympic Games where she beat Amelie Mauresmo to capture the gold medal. Weakened by the virus and travel from Athens to New York, the defending U.S. Open champion suffered a 6-3, 6-2 fourth-round setback to Nadia Petrova at the Open earlier this month. Since that defeat, the former No. 1 has dropped to No. 3 in the WTA Tour rankings behind the top-ranked Mauresmo and second-ranked Lindsay Davenport.

"Justine started to feel better ten days after she lost her last match on the U.S. Open. Before that, she felt a bit tired all the time," Henin-Hardenne's coach Carlos Rodriguez told Henin-Hardenne's (http://www.henin-hardenne.be/)official web site. "The Olympic Games was the best tournament for Justine since I started training her, certainly regarding her level but also with regard to her self-control. We saw a totally different Justine on the U.S. Open, she almost had no sleep for three days in Athens, she also suffered a bit from the time differences and the climatic changes which certainly didn’t help. Moreover, the level of play was extremely high on the Olympics, she had to compete with the number two and three, two girls who were eager to take that number one spot and they were both in great shape."

Elske
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Elske :p :nerner:

ik zen een schnelle, kweetet :cool:

dreamgoddess099
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:47 PM
They already have so many grandslam trophies that they've run out of trophy space. :p

BTW, Get well Justine, being sick sucks.

Gerri
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Poor Justine, viruses can be such a pain in the arse and there's not much you can do about them. It's so frustrating when all you can do is wait for it to go and have to rest all the time.

Get well soon Juju :kiss:

Darop.
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:50 PM
YES! THANK GOD!! :worship:

JK :p

Sorry Justine, don't attack me with the herpes virus cuz I said that :crying2:

kiekeboe
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Justine forfait for Filderstadt. :sad:

Smart
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Get well soon Juju!!

Joana
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:16 PM
:bigcry:
Get well soon, Justine! :kiss:

TennisHack
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:42 PM
If this was answered upthread, then my bad :o

But you never get over mono -- it's always in your system. It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months to get over the inital bout, though.

Kart
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I was diagnosed in January and I still can't function at a decent level without 10/11 hours sleep .... It's crap :sad:
:hug:

As for Justine, I hope she gets over her problems.

lauryn
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Justine :sad:

Will this ever stop? :( When one player returns to the game, another one's out again... :sad:

spartanfan
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:39 AM

You heartless bastard!;)

Greetings from Smyrna, Ga.!:wavey: