PDA

View Full Version : Na Li wins again, how fast do you think she can rise up the ranks?

Gowza
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM
there was a thread a couple of days ago about her reaching the top 20 i think it was next year. most people said probably not next year i think, but she's had another win and i wonder what everyone thinks now. personally i dont want to say she will reach the top 20 next year just yet because she could just be in sincilating form atm and it may not be her normal play, the reason i say this is because she has only played a small amount of wta events to date so we dont know how consistent she will be on the wta tour. i know she has a big win/loss record in the challengers this year but still the wta is a step above that so until she plays a few more tournaments it will be tough to say how quick or how far she will rise up the ranks.

but pushing sveta so far shows she does have talent so i guess anything is possible.

atm i would say she will be top 50 next year, any higher will depend on her consistency.

Gowza
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:17 AM
i'll add that her latest win was over jankovic and it did take 3 sets so is that a bit of a sign of inconsistency? guess we'll have to wait and see.

Zhao
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM
i'll add that her latest win was over jankovic and it did take 3 sets so is that a bit of a sign of inconsistency? guess we'll have to wait and see.
Jankovic herself is a very consistent player... has beaten Dementieva at AO n stretched Sharapova to 3 sets at the USO...

She's on a roll now definitely... the only reason she wun be a top20 player is becoz of her schedule.. someone shd tell her that it does not always pay to be so patriotic....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hayato
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
lets just see if she can keep it up. Don't forget about Daja Bedanova for example :sad:

at the way Na is going, she is top 20 material :yeah:

LucasArg
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:42 AM
I like when a player comes with good wins and push the top players like Na Li, I hope she can keep it up.

Go Na Li! :wavey:

xcrtbckhnd
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:26 AM
So far, she moved from 193 last week to 145 this week, and she picked up 40 points for the win against Jelena, so that puts her around #124. A win over Panova would put her around #117, a win over Brandi would put her around #115. If she gets to the final over say Pratt or Bartoli, she could move up to around #104, and if she wins the whole thing, depending on who she plays, she could move up to around #94. My math could be off, but that's what I'm calculating right now. So she's on the way at least!

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Her schedule is really fucked. This is only her second Tour event this year. She can't get very far doing that. If she actually played a full tour schedule, she could probably be top 30.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM
She's certainly looking like a hot prospect for the future if she can keep it up.

igost
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Top 20 is far out for her (if ever happens). She beat Jankovic, who retired last week because of injury. She extended Kuznetsova to 3 sets, but Sveta was playing for the 4th week in a row and was visibly tired. Now she plays out-of-form Panova, who skipped entire last season.

Let the hype begin

Gowza
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Top 20 is far out for her (if ever happens). She beat Jankovic, who retired last week because of injury. She extended Kuznetsova to 3 sets, but Sveta was playing for the 4th week in a row and was visibly tired. Now she plays out-of-form Panova, who skipped entire last season.

Let the hype begin
so you are saying even a visibly tired sveta took serena to 3 tight sets? i didnt get coverage of any of the tournament but i think that is a bit unfair to na li, not giving her the credit she deserves with taking a top 5er to a 3rd set breaker. dont forget that was sveta's first match of the tournament as well so it would have been the freshest she was all week. im not saying it means na li will be top 20 or anything but i think she should be given credit where it is due, she took and in form top 5er to a 3rd set breaker, for someone just starting out on wta tournaments that is quite an accomplishment.

igost
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:45 PM
so you are saying even a visibly tired sveta took serena to 3 tight sets? i didnt get coverage of any of the tournament but i think that is a bit unfair to na li, not giving her the credit she deserves with taking a top 5er to a 3rd set breaker. dont forget that was sveta's first match of the tournament as well so it would have been the freshest she was all week. im not saying it means na li will be top 20 or anything but i think she should be given credit where it is due, she took and in form top 5er to a 3rd set breaker, for someone just starting out on wta tournaments that is quite an accomplishment.
All I'm saying - she's not Top 20. She is at the same level as, for example Lee-Waters or Jidkova (no offense to Lindsay and Alina), destined to float around 60-160. Which is not bad, comparing to 1000 players ranked lower, but not enough to make her a hot prospect. Also, keep in mind, she'll be 23 in February. Most players of note prove themselves long before this age.

Experimentee
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:01 PM
All I'm saying - she's not Top 20. She is at the same level as, for example Lee-Waters or Jidkova (no offense to Lindsay and Alina), destined to float around 60-160. Which is not bad, comparing to 1000 players ranked lower, but not enough to make her a hot prospect. Also, keep in mind, she'll be 23 in February. Most players of note prove themselves long before this age.

I agree that you cant say for sure she'll be top 20, but its foolish to write her off like you have and give excuses for her wins :rolleyes:

Shes definitely playing above the level of LLW or Jidkova. And she was having this success a few years ago before illness took her off the tour for a few years until now. I'm not sure how shes supposed to prove herself when shes so sick she couldnt play for years!

And taking 3 sets to beat Jankovic isnt that bad, Jankovic is a good player whos better than her ranking too, and we shouldnt expect that she should beat every single player in straight sets like shes been doing. That was her 5th match in 5 days, and shes also played the last 2 weeks so she would have been a bit tired i'd imagine.

Rafe306
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Oh i think Na Li is definitely better than jidcova and lee waters..she would destroy them and yes she is top 20 material by far..Just wait

Harju.
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Let the hype begin
Did you even see her match vs Svetlana. :cuckoo:

She obviously outplayed Sveta in the baseline at some points.

brunof
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I believe Na Li has also matured a bit in the past few years, which will bode her well on the court. :bounce: Glad she came back!

Pengwin
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Myskina only started shining when she was 22-23

igost
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Myskina only started shining when she was 22-23
What's your point?

Myskina is only 7 months older than Li. She won her first WTA title at 18. She is Top 20 -> 10 -> 5 for the last 4 years. Do you seriously expect Li to win Grand Slam next year?

Don't get me wrong - I've never said Li Na was a bad player. I merely expressed my opinion that I don't see her as a Top 20. Not now, not in the future. Extending Top 10 player to 3-setter, while making some (meaning few) baseline points, does not make her a hot prospect.

rhz
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
What's your point?

Myskina is only 7 months older than Li. She won her first WTA title at 18. She is Top 20 -> 10 -> 5 for the last 4 years. Do you seriously expect Li to win Grand Slam next year?

Don't get me wrong - I've never said Li Na was a bad player. I merely expressed my opinion that I don't see her as a Top 20. Not now, not in the future. Extending Top 10 player to 3-setter, while making some (meaning few) baseline points, does not make her a hot prospect.
What if she will be in the top 20? What are you going to say then? If she plays full time next year, I believe she will be at least in the top 50 if not better

Buitenzorg
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I reckon TOP 75 before The OZ Open 2005 ;)

igost
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:58 AM
What if she will be in the top 20? What are you going to say then?
I'll probably be one of the first to congratulate her.
Like I said, I don't have anything against the girl. Don't look for controversy here

If she plays full time next year, I believe she will be at least in the top 50 if not better
Again, that's pretty much what I've said earlier (well, I put her in 60 - 160 range). After the Top 20 and few players for various reasons (injury, illness, personal problems, etc.) ranked below their level, the field gets pretty even: anybody can pull an upset here and there, but nobody is heads above the rest. That's where Li Na fits.
Also, in no way she is a top Chinese prospect (at 22 I wouldn't consider her a prospect at all). Peng Shuai is.

Dave B
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:52 AM
I think she will reach at least the top 50, although I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. Here's why:

Her AWEOMSE ITF record for 04. she started the season with a 29 match win streak. She has been dismantling ITF players, which even the lower top 50 often play.

Her scheduling isn't bad. She took two years off and had practically no ranking. she had to start and the bottom and couldn't really get into WTA events. Despite her good ITF results, she still needed a WC into the qualifying of Beijing. I am sure she will play higher levels next year.

Rafe306
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I believe na will be playing a full schedule next year..she's much more mature and she knows what she has to do to become one of China's best