PDA

View Full Version : Article: Molik on track to top ten

martinafan
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before.....

Molik on track to top ten

MELBOURNE, Sept 28 AAP - Buoyed by a recent streak of hot form, Australia's leading female tennis player, Alicia Molik, has her sights set on a world top 10 ranking.

Molik broke into the top 20 after winning the Stockholm WTA tournament the week before she sealed a bronze medal at the Athens Olympics. She returns to Europe tomorrow anxious to build on her consistency and continue her progress up the ladder - with January's Australian Open her primary target.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38258.6579644097
Molik: ready to crack the world's top ten

"I'm just sitting in the top 20 now...one step at a time but there's no reason why, if I have a couple of big tournaments in the next month, I can't be very close to that (top 10) figure," Molik said today."I'd like to be in the form for the Australian Open that I've been showing in the past six weeks.

"If I'm playing that sort of tennis come the Aussie Open I'm going to be sitting pretty I think for a pretty big result there."

Molik, 23, feels she is now able to challenge the world's best players, after minimising the differences in their games.

"I think every single time I step on the court against a top 10 or top 20 player I'm in for a shot," she said. "I think what's hurt me isn't so much my game...there's a couple of instances in certain matches where it may just be one point or maybe a lapse in concentration, so they're not big things now.

"I'm finding that the differences now between me and a lot of the top 10 girls are a couple of points here or there, and usually they are pretty critical points or times in a match.

"But I've been working on all those things and the difference is so small now so I really have to make huge efforts to make sure I don't have those lapses."

She said the past year had boosted her confidence significantly but she had also learnt to enjoy the game more, as she improved.

"I've gotten older and I've learnt to enjoy it a lot, lot more (but) I still need to keep working on my game, I can never be too content with where I'm at," she said.

Molik said her Olympic medal, which she won after going down 7-5 7-5 to World No.4 Amelie Mauresmo in the play-off for silver, was an "enormous" highlight this year.

"It was a pretty amazing journey, the Olympics, winning a bronze there and winning a tournament the week before," she said. "I gave my year, basically, towards the bronze medal. I worked in my schedule to maximise my performance there.

"To come away with a medal is a dream come true, something I've wanted to do since I was a young child," Molik said.

Source:
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageid=122&handlerid=3&newsid=613

AjdeNate!
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM
:yeah: Good luck Alicia!
Thanks for the article

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Alicia is awesome ^_^

Hope she has a fairytale run at our Aus Open ^_^

Mr_Molik
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:08 AM
:yeah: great to hear she is rested and ready to attack the indoor circuit
CMON ALICIA!!! :bounce: :worship:

AjdeNate!
Nov 4th, 2004, 04:40 AM
A little bump since it seems she's destined for the Top 10 after Oz sometime in '05. :D

Lemonskin.
Nov 4th, 2004, 07:16 AM
:D Go Alicia! The top 10 awaits!!!

AjdeNate!
Nov 4th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Oi Oi Molik!!

Mr_Molik
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM
cmon alicia !!

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
A few factual mistakes in the article. To take just one, there was no "play-off" for silver. There was a final between the winning semi-finalists (Juju and Momo) to determine who got gold and who got silver ... and a play-off for bronze between the losing semi-finalists, which Molik won against Myskina. I could find more li'l errors, but the point is that I wish these people would just write with accuracy. Get it right!

Anyway, I hope that Alicia has a great 2005.

vettipooh
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Nice article. Thanks Martinafan. Would love for her to crack the top 10. maybe we've been underestimating Aus. women's tennis. Although I'd want Vee or Rena to take AO 05, What an accomplishment it would be if Molik and Hewitt did an all time first! They both seem to be running along that path!! Go Molik!! Go!!!

DEETHELICK
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:54 AM
She seems really nice. Good luck to her, but the Top 10, hell the Top 16 is just so stacked at the moment. Its going to have to be a big result to crack through.

jonny84
Nov 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
There was an article on ITV UK Teletext which said that Alicia hopes for a good run at the OZ Open 2005. She hopes to play well in front of her home crowd as they have big expectations and hopes to carry on playing the tennis she played in Zurich and Luxembourg.

Alicia will be seeded to make the fourth round with no points to defend until the Australian Open she will definitley be seed around 12-14. Plus she can add points from Philadelphia and maybe one of two warm up events. She will probably go to Sydney.

She can do well at the Oz Open and could go further than the round of 16. She has beaten Myskina, Sharapova and Mauresmo is recent months so anything is possible.

Go Alicia and have a wonderful 2005.