PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Capriati attacks Maria Sharapova

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Sex appeal sells tickets, but athletic skill is also appealing
By Shelley K. Wong, Record-Journal staff

NEW HAVEN — When "Maria Mania" ended unexpectedly Tuesday evening at the Pilot Pen Invitational, Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova probably took hundreds of fans with her.

As heart-wrenching as it was watching Sharapova double fault 12 times to wild card Mashona Washington, it was just as heart-stopping for fans, who enjoyed gazing at the Russian beauty as much as following the match.

"For the male audience, the fact that the women are attractive brings out an audience that wouldn't normally come out," Milford resident Noah Czarny said during Tuesday night's match. "I'd say Maria Sharapova is the person I liked to see the most. She just came off of Wimbledon and she's pretty.

Quin Parkhurst from Glastonbury agreed. "After she won Wimbledon, I became a fan," he said. "She is very attractive, of course, and she's good. You've got the best of both worlds. It's almost like she's the new (Anna) Kournikova, but she's doing well. She's already broken in on a different level."

And that was the difference for most Sharapova fans at the Pilot Pen. The 17-year-old has a singles title n one of the sports biggest — an achievement Anna Kournikova never attained in any WTA tourney. But for both players, known for their stellar looks, sex appeal is a shared trait and one that has been marketed to the hilt in sports, not just tennis.

Sex has driven women's sports for decades. It's no surprise why beach volleyball is far more televised than women's weightlifting. Then there is the attraction of Jennie Finch, the blonde blue-eyed U.S. Olympic softball player. And it is not surprising that Kournikova is known more for her beauty than her forehand.

Even the tennis skirts give evidence to sex appeal.

"Look at these women playing," Fairfield resident Patrick Krajci said.

"They're wearing much smaller outfits than they used to. It seems like their skirts are getting shorter and shorter; but if they're selling tickets, they're selling tickets."

Despite the allure for model-athletes, Pilot Pen Tournament Director Anne Worcester couldn't say the "Maria Mania" campaign was about sex appeal.

"She won Wimbledon," Worcester said.

"She's unbelievably charismatic. She's on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She has a seven-page spread in Italian Vogue. She's in GQ. She's in every single major publication in the world. Everyone has chosen her as a marquee name, not just the Pilot Pen."

Gilford resident Donna Scarano agrees. "I think she's really good at tennis and happens to be beautiful," Scarano said. "There are a lot of good-looking women who can't play tennis. She just happens to have both."

In spite of the "female-as-sex-symbols" era, veteran Jennifer Capriati, the No. 3 Pilot Pen seed, believes talent will always shine before beauty.

"I think the tennis will always speak for itself, whether you are a sex symbol or not, but it just makes it more interesting," Capriati said, adding. "I think it's a little bit of an exaggeration to call her, really, a sex symbol."

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:28 AM
I will delete my posts then!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Repaired.. I got the rumour clear.... she wasn't really attacking..

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Repaired.. I got the rumour clear.... she wasn't really attacking..
Maybe you should change the name of the thread, then?

"Jennifer Capriati attacks Maria Sharapova"

Heehee that could be a movie. "Attack of the JCap" :p :lol:

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:36 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:39 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I'm also thinking of a made-for-TV documentary narrated by David Attenborough - "When Cappers' Attack"

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:49 AM
New Haven was the greatest tournament of the year.

They spouted this Maria Mania bullshit for months.

Then...

LOOK WHO WON.

So fucking owned.
Why do you even post hear this is a Maria fan forum and your obviously not a fan. and Maria is not incharge of her Maria Mania its the presses folt that she gets unfair expectations.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:53 AM

Taht is freaking hilarious! :lol:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I saw the name of the thread from the index page an it looks so hilarious!!!

It is like Jcap were...

:armed: :timebomb: :boxing: :shout: :toothy:

:spit: :haha:

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:08 AM
New Haven was the greatest tournament of the year.

They spouted this Maria Mania bullshit for months.

Then...

LOOK WHO WON.

So fucking owned.

The "SUPERNOVA SHARAPOVA" Forum

- For fans of Maria Sharapova!

If you're not a fan, don't post here.

Dan23
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:34 AM
This story is old and really means f-all.....this thread is useless..:(
J Cap likes to comment on other players all the time...
..she obviously didnt like the attention Maria had been getting and wants more for herself :unsure: :tape:

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Well said, Dan!

This is pretty old news.

Also seems like more of a thread for the GM section, not here...

sharapovarulz1
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:20 PM
jennifer capriatis just jealous of mashas beauty!!

Josh B.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Very true Dan.

Josh B.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Just A Little Jelousy

Andy Mac
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:39 PM
ahem! guys...........do u mind oh i dunno.......NOT POSTING IN THIS F*CKED UP THREAD!!!!!!!!!.............jen was jsut amd cuz she didnt win.....now all u get teh f*ck off her back......

Andy Mac
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM
this thread was serously not needed diuz....can u please delete it