PDA

View Full Version : Do you think...

tennisfan22
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:46 PM
....that Venus will win a GS in 2005 ?

dreamgoddess099
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:54 PM
No, because people who take polls control her destiny and if they say she won't then she won't. Also, only other players can make improvements, Venus can't.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah. She's better than how badly everyone's writing her off. She should have won the French, but she got scared. Next year will definately be better.

dreamgoddess099
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
No, I dont think Venus will. She has played all of 2004 and is not top 10 player yet! There is reason for it!
Yeah, because all top ten players have won grandslams.

CJ07
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:18 AM
The way these last two years have gone, who the heck knows

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:21 AM
sadly, no. there are many reasons why she didn't even come remotely close in 2004, and those reasons haven't gone away nor have they been alleviated. venus has lost to the first consistent baseliner that she has faced in every grand slam this year...

*hingis_forever*
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah. She's better than how badly everyone's writing her off. She should have won the French, but she got scared. Next year will definately be better.
She got scared? That is the worst excuse I've ever heard! :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:47 AM
There must be about a dozen players out there who have a realistic chance of winning a Slam,and Venus is one of them. But I think that Henin,Clijsters,Serena and Kuznetsova are the most obvious candidates. Anything's possible though. Three of the four Slam-champions were surprises this year.

dreamgoddess099
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:10 AM
The reason is poor play in the Grandslams! 3r, QF, 2r, 4r! So only those who made a grandslam semi in 2004 will win a grandslam in 2005. Just like only those who made a grandslam semi in 2003 won a grandslam in 2004. Maybe someone should have told that to Sveta, Myskina, and Maria; none of whom made it past a grandslam QF last year. I know Venus was great player years ago Years ago? last year she played 6 tournaments and made the finals of 4 with two being grandslams. But I see how you can think of those as the results of a non-great player. but it look like time is passing her by and Im sorry but thats just my opinon! Well my opinion is that you form poorly formed opinions. Venus goes one year without making a grandslam semi after making one for the past 7years, but time is only passing her by and not those players who haven't made a grandslam final in just the past three years (including some in the current top ten.) :confused: You sure have extremely high standards for such a non-great player.

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Hmmm.....what can one say. I think that by next year she should start posting up her results like she used to: consistent at the majors...Iīm not writing her off yet. Venus is still Venus...might well win wimbledon or the open again.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
I'm not going to talk about Venus.

But I believe Serena will win at least a GS title in 2005.

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:33 AM
sadly, no. there are many reasons why she didn't even come remotely close in 2004, and those reasons haven't gone away nor have they been alleviated. venus has lost to the first consistent baseliner that she has faced in every grand slam this year...

How about this one: Do u think Monica will ever PLAY, let alone win, another match on the wta tour?!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Yes, I think a motivated, healthy and resurgent Serena will prompt the same kind of results from Venus. She has sooo much game, im confident she'll put it together next year for sure.

Famu_lady
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:53 AM
In my opinion, I believe Venus will win at least one more gran slam. Yeah Venus has not done good this year, but no one is perfect. She was injured, and yeah I know that many use it as an excuse, but the girl was injured. Venus had an off year in 2004, so I really don't expect her to do much worse in 2005. Her confidence was down, so hopefully she regained some during the U.S. Open against Lindsay. People that think that Venus is done, keep on believing that. One thing you have to learn is to never count Venus Williams out of anything.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Eenie, meenie, miney... no.

I don't think she has another on in her. SF's, sure, maybe even a final, but not another GS.

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:59 AM
How about this one: Do u think Monica will ever PLAY, let alone win, another match on the wta tour?!
i fail to see how this goes along the lines of the thread, but i'll answer anyway.

a return is unlikely, but if she does return, she will win matches. it's as simple as that. the only reason she hasn't come back yet is because she has such high standards for her tennis, and she hasn't been ready. she's facing the fact right now that she may never be ready again, and i'd say the odds of no return for a long term outweigh the odds of a return.

the thing is-- monica's career is so different from venus's. monica is 30. monica once dominated for a period of years. she doesn't need to prove anything. she's not going to have fun travelling around the world losing to players she used to breeze by just over a year and a half ago. or will she? who knows but her? i stayed my beliefs above. i don't know if i'd enjoy seeing her do a ridiculous wild card ride like michael chang did. (btw, i have/had no problem with what michael chose to do. if that's how he wanted to leave tennis, then i believe tennis owed that to him).

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:24 AM
I've seen nothing from Venus to suggest to me that 2005 will be any different to 2002/2003/2004, except for maybe less finals appearances.

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I think that Venus can definatly bounce back she has had 2 tough years and now she is working hard with her dad and i think she will put on a strong showing in 2005 and be a Slam contender.

Daniel
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM
No

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM
i fail to see how this goes along the lines of the thread, but i'll answer anyway.

a return is unlikely, but if she does return, she will win matches. it's as simple as that. the only reason she hasn't come back yet is because she has such high standards for her tennis, and she hasn't been ready. she's facing the fact right now that she may never be ready again, and i'd say the odds of no return for a long term outweigh the odds of a return.

the thing is-- monica's career is so different from venus's. monica is 30. monica once dominated for a period of years. she doesn't need to prove anything. she's not going to have fun travelling around the world losing to players she used to breeze by just over a year and a half ago. or will she? who knows but her? i stayed my beliefs above. i don't know if i'd enjoy seeing her do a ridiculous wild card ride like michael chang did. (btw, i have/had no problem with what michael chose to do. if that's how he wanted to leave tennis, then i believe tennis owed that to him).

It was relevant....because if you donīt believe a player like Venus can compete for major titles anymore, then says me itīs better for Monica to stay retired.

*Karen*
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM
No. Atleast 6 or 7 players are better than her now.

Shenanigans
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Or as good as her now, so yes she can still win a slam.

TomTennis
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Venus at her best, i dont think so. 6-7!!!!! who? ok, maybe serena, but not clijsters, dav (she only won because of venus' errors, and even she admitted that), sharapova (no way no how), jen (in her dreams), momo(not even close) dementieva (serve is too weak) kusnetsova (not strong enough).

i think you need to learn how to count. Venus Williams will rise above the rest, and every WS hater, get reeady for the Venus domination of 2005!!

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Venus will win the French Open 2005. (And this is the one I want Serena to win most)

Mark it down, dammit.

Paneru
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM
After the US Open their was a similar question posed
to a panel of sports reporters where three said she's done
and Serena will be the one two win more Slams, while the
other said Venus has still got it and will win 2 Slams next year.

I think she not only can but, she will
win atleast one Slam next year.

Experimentee
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Its foolish to write her off. Remember the clay season this year? If she can recapture that form for a couple of weeks she could definitely win a slam.

Pengwin
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
I personally thought she was the favourite to win the French Open, I definately don't think she is done and dusted.