PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sharapova playing Hansol?

Volcana
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Yes, of course she can make her schedule as she likes. But, her best-case scenario at hansol is 127 points. And now that 5 of the 8 seeds are out, it's dow to about 111. This assumes she'll beat Shinobu Asagoe in the final, which, while likely, isn't a given. It moves her ahead of Capriati in the YEC race, but not by much for a weeks work. Hasselt, it seems to me, offered more points even if she didn't win. Making the semis there is as good as winning Hansol.

Stamp Paid
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Maria Sharapova is the tennis player equivalent to what we at WTAWorld call, "rep whores."

THAT'S why. :D

Gowza
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:48 PM
considering her lack of form of late i think it was a good tournament to play. she'll get some confidence from it.

clonesheep
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM
It's all about money. As reported in another thread, Maria's appearance fee at Hansol is $200,000. That's more than the prize money of winning a tier I. Besides, Korea is a potential market for sponsorship and endorsements.

Remember that Maria's agents will get a percentage (10-15% I guess) of all of her earnings. No wonder they work hard to get these deals through.

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Because she can plan her schedule as she likes. :)

Anyway, I think it's great for Korean tennis - getting a superstar like Sharapova playing in their innaugural event. :hearts:

Celeste
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:17 AM
She's doing a nice job expanding tennis into other countries, which love tennis, plus she gets a load of appearance fee money. The WTA will fix it so she gets into the YEC. The only reason Volcana doesn't like that is that is because she's one of the recent players who gets preferential and bullshit treatment by the WTA after Venus got it for years and he can't stand it. If she was Black, he'd be writing about how amazing it was that she would play these lower events or that the WTA forced her to do it because it's all prejudice, and she's a good sport. But because she's white, it's suspect. Face it, Volcana, Maria is the new darling of the WTA tour. She's going to play a bunch of dumb events at their request, make a fortune, and they'll take care of her. At least she doesn't sign up for events and pull out "injured" at the last minute.

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:26 AM
At least she doesn't sign up for events and pull out "injured" at the last minute.
:tape:

Beware of what's coming now... :scared:

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:34 AM

yep... beware of people who can't take the truth. don't waste your time on them either.

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:36 AM
How does Maria get confidence from beating 5 players outside the top 50?
wins are wins.... that's the same reason why some slumping players drop down to play these events-- to get some wins under their belt. however, maria is just honoring her commitment to the tournament and getting paid well to do it. luckily for her, she's also slumping, and these wins could do her some good.

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:51 AM
i still dont see how this builds confidence. With the exception of Mashona, Maria routinely wins easily against lower ranked players every week. And its not often you see a top 10 player in Tier IV ;)
well, like i said, she committed to this before she won wimbledon...
but it just so happens that she is slumping, and wins over anyone can be great especially when it leads up to a trophy. just look at what her little title before wimbledon did for her.

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:53 AM
well, like i said, she committed to this before she won wimbledon...
but it just so happens that she is slumping, and wins over anyone can be great especially when it leads up to a trophy. just look at what her little title before wimbledon did for her.
Exactly.

And imagine if Masha didn't play Seoul - we would all be talking about how weak the field would be. :tape:

Pureracket
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:01 AM
She's doing a nice job expanding tennis into other countries, which love tennis, plus she gets a load of appearance fee money. The WTA will fix it so she gets into the YEC. The only reason Volcana doesn't like that is that is because she's one of the recent players who gets preferential and bullshit treatment by the WTA after Venus got it for years and he can't stand it. If she was Black, he'd be writing about how amazing it was that she would play these lower events or that the WTA forced her to do it because it's all prejudice, and she's a good sport. But because she's white, it's suspect. Face it, Volcana, Maria is the new darling of the WTA tour. She's going to play a bunch of dumb events at their request, make a fortune, and they'll take care of her. At least she doesn't sign up for events and pull out "injured" at the last minute.Never thought that anyone could manage to call someone a racist and manage to insult other players at the same time. Congrats!:worship:

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:13 AM
It's retarded that she's playing there. There's no need for the money, she already has tons of it. She wants to go there and make herself feel good by demolishing sub-top 50 players, good for her. But then she has no right to bitch about her AER "restrictions" ever again.

Celeste
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:16 AM

Yes, I just picked up like 200,000 rep points from like 3 people, so I'm not the only person who thinks that!!! :D

Celeste
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:19 AM
It's retarded that she's playing there. There's no need for the money, she already has tons of it. She wants to go there and make herself feel good by demolishing sub-top 50 players, good for her. But then she has no right to bitch about her AER "restrictions" ever again.
How the hell do you know what her finances are? Are you her personal banker or something? The woman is supporting loads of people, so how do you know?

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:23 AM
How the hell do you know what her finances are? Are you her personal banker or something? The woman is supporting loads of people, so how do you know? She has massive endorsement deals, which if she wanted to she could probably live on for life.

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:27 AM
What did winning Birmingham have to do with Wimbledon? I don't believe Birmingham caused Lindsay to go into a shell for no reason, and blow a sure slam out the window. Kuznetsova won Eastbourne, Pierce s'Hertogenbosch, see the results.
I guess confidence can be found in different ways. For example, I wouldn't be more confident in going back to my grammar school and beating up everyone just because I could.
well it helps a lot when you're trying to win your first grand slam if you at least have a title on that surface and maybe a bonus with a little win streak. is it that hard to figure out?
lindsay in some people's minds did pblow a great chance (i think she was just outplayed by maria), kuznetsova chokesd, and mary has never had consistency on grass.
just because girls aren't in the top 50 doesn't mean they aren't tough either. that needed to be said. granted, no one will really care about her winning this title assuming that she does, but in her mind it may be a good way to take a step forward for the indoor season... and why not play it while she's in the area?

faboozadoo15
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:28 AM
She has massive endorsement deals, which if she wanted to she could probably live on for life.
yes she probebly does with bonuses and everything, but i haven't heard much about new massive deals being signed, so it's really hard to know.
btw, never noticed monica in your sig ;)

Celeste
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:33 AM
She has massive endorsement deals, which if she wanted to she could probably live on for life.
Really, you know the details? You know what she needs to live on for the rest of her life? I'm sure if you're all knowing, Maria will hire you immediately to help her with her financial future.

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Really, you know the details? You know what she needs to live on for the rest of her life? I'm sure if you're all knowing, Maria will hire you immediately to help her with her financial future. No, it's just logic. Her total prize money this year has exceeded 1.5 million when you add the nice 200K check she's getting in Korea. She's signed a multi-million dollar deal with T-Mobile, and also another with a perfume company. So unless she's paying for about 30 full time hair and nail technicians, which would be completely reasonable for a Princess like herself, eight coaches, and keeping Daddy on the side for kicks, and has invested in about 10 failed investments, she's all set.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:05 AM
It was a logical addition. She was playing China and Japan, and had a week inbetween. They offered her a heap of money, plus she could get some cheap ranking points here. Why not play it? Why go all the way to Hasselt from China then back to Japan? It makes perfect sense.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
It's ridiculous to suggest she doesn't need 200 000$. :haha: Please. When you have money, you spend it. And the more you have, the more you spend. At the moment, she's not even that much rich.

Who would refuse that much money just to play a tournement?

On the ATP, a lot of top players play Mickey Mouse tournements all the time and no one complain.

The best way to promote a tournement is to have a big name on your draw. Her presence will probably make all the difference for the event's success.
Bullseye. Exactly.

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:30 AM
I guess right now she´s going by the motto: a win is a win...if you can´t beat the biggies, you beat the smallies..

Jelena Moon
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:35 AM
YAY, Marsha might win another tournament.

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:36 AM
She's doing a nice job expanding tennis into other countries, which love tennis, plus she gets a load of appearance fee money. The WTA will fix it so she gets into the YEC. The only reason Volcana doesn't like that is that is because she's one of the recent players who gets preferential and bullshit treatment by the WTA after Venus got it for years and he can't stand it. If she was Black, he'd be writing about how amazing it was that she would play these lower events or that the WTA forced her to do it because it's all prejudice, and she's a good sport. But because she's white, it's suspect. Face it, Volcana, Maria is the new darling of the WTA tour. She's going to play a bunch of dumb events at their request, make a fortune, and they'll take care of her. At least she doesn't sign up for events and pull out "injured" at the last minute.This week's winner of the 'post from an alternate universe' contest.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:39 AM
This week's winner of the 'post from an alternate universe' contest.

I thought there were some good points in that post you just berated

VeraNuVirgosFan
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:41 AM
...lindsay in some people's minds did blow a great chance (i think she was just outplayed by maria)
"i think she was just outplayed by maria" after the rain break.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:43 AM
"i think she was just outplayed by maria" after the rain break.

Well... that's tennis, toots. You gotta be on top of you game the whole match, otherwise you'll get punished.

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I thought there were some good points in that post you just beratedIntermixed with mindless ranting. The post wasn't a complete fantasy. Just more based on personal animosity than a desire to communicate. To the point of incoherence.

Dawn Marie
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Celeste you call the hoes as you see them don't you? I see nothing wrong with playing for some money it is afterall the oldest profession in the universe. They prolly got pimps and hoes on Pluto.:):)

Arguing with Celeste about tricking ones ass is ludricrus.;) the truth is all of the WTA bigshots are usable and get paid and are payees.

I just hope she donates some of it to a worthy charity.:)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:50 AM
I guess right now she´s going by the motto: a win is a win...if you can´t beat the biggies, you beat the smallies..
And I guess Masha has been going by the motto: beat the biggies at a GS to win it, and beat the smallies at Tier III/Tier IV to win some titles.

By the way, this is the first Tier IV tournament that Masha plays in 2 years.

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Intermixed with mindless ranting. The post wasn't a complete fantasy. Just more based on personal animosity than a desire to communicate. To the point of incoherence.
Maybe, but there were also a few biting truths that perhaps you didn't like to admit to...

Dawn Marie
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Celeste I don't get why you had to bring race into this while commenting on Volcana's post? " SOME" of "you people" need to stop bringing up RACISM all the time!!:) Volcana did not state one thing about black or white up in here. Celeste you know when it comes to pimpig that money has no color.

We all know that tennis is run by money and people have to get paid yah know. Sheesh already!

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Maria has not been in the best of form so this could give her some rhythem and also she is in Asia and she pormised that she would play there she is forfilling her promise. she is still so young she has many years to play the bigger tournaments.

~CANUCK~
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I could argue that she hasn't spent all that money, but that doesn't matter. Here's why what Maria is doing doesn't make sense:

$200,000 Seoul appearance fee + $22,000 for her likely title victory = $222,000.

Maria is skipping Filderstadt and MOSCOW so she could play this wonderful tournament.

Winning Filderstadt = $98,500 + a Porsche and a bunch of other goodies.

Winning Moscow = $189,000.

So, Maria is costing herself roughly $60,000 and a bunch of ranking points.
The only problem with this is, all of us know she has no shot in hell at winning these to events with her current form. So why not take the 200000, win yourself a title, get some match pratice in and hopefully find your game.

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:10 AM
The only problem with this is, all of us know she has no shot in hell at winning these to events with her current form. So why not take the 200000, win yourself a title, get some match pratice in and hopefully find your game.
Well said

~CANUCK~
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Woah, back the truck up. It doesn't matter if you think she has no shot in hell to win.

This is Maria Sharapova. THE FUCKING MARIA SHARAPOVA (copyright Irina Spirlea).

"I'm going to be #1! That's my goal! I will work so hard to get there! I'm so Russian! I want to go back to my homeland Russia whenever I can!"

She never said she wants to be #1 NOW, she knows just as well as everyone else that ain't happen yet. And why would she go back to russia for one tourny that she would be lucky to get to the semis of. She can't hang with the big girls on tour at the moment becoz her game has gone to hell. Let her go to smaller events collect big money for just showing up and taking some pics with fans, and beat up on some below 50 ranked players. If spanking some players in korea means she can find her game and confidence again then she is doing the right thing.

hilde26
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:10 AM
I will explain the reason why Maria plays in Seoul graphically .She was in Beijing last week and is planned to be in Tokyo next week.

http://link.okfoto.co.kr/L_storage4/127832/2004092913483706.jpg

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Maybe, but there were also a few biting truths that perhaps you didn't like to admit to...What can I say except, 'uhh. no?' The few true things are obviously to all, and in no way painful to admit. As for the obvious falsehoods, how many times do we have to go down this road? I write, 'show me ONE SINGLE TIME when I EVER wrote' yada yada yada, and then Celeste squirms and obfuscates and does everything except actually back up his claims of things he claims I've written.

What's the point?

I mean, give me one example of any SANE person writing, 'the WTA forced her to do it because it's all prejudice.'Show me ONE.

And I certainly can't imagine EVER writing, for any player white, Black or green, 'how amazing it was that she would play these lower events.'Only a lunatic would make up stuff like this. But Celeste lives in an alternate universe where things like that actually happen.

At some point, you have to allow people to live in their little fantasy worlds.

Greenout
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM
It's a win/win situation for everybody involved. If you've read
the reports from Korea, they are loving it. The turn out has been
great.

I don't see anything wrong in this. It might not be the best
2004 season career move; but we all agree Maria's form isn't
at peak right now. She's not contending to finish the year at #1,
so it doesn't hurt her ranking nor particulary disturb the YEC.

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:45 AM
It's a win/win situation for everybody involved. If you've read
the reports from Korea, they are loving it. The turn out has been
great.

I don't see anything wrong in this. It might not be the best
2004 season career move; but we all agree Maria's form isn't
at peak right now. She's not contending to finish the year at #1,
so it doesn't hurt her ranking nor particulary disturb the YEC.I don't see anyting wrong with it. I was just focusing too narrowly on the YEC I guess. I completely overlooked the whole appearance money issue. And of course, anything that brings more fans to the game is good.

It's just that the WTA may need Tonya Harding before all this is over.

Greenout
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:57 AM
I don't see anyting wrong with it. I was just focusing too narrowly on the YEC I guess. I completely overlooked the whole appearance money issue. And of course, anything that brings more fans to the game is good.

It's just that the WTA may need Tonya Harding before all this is over.

:lol:

Hey, no problem Volcana. I originally thought it was ridiculous
too; but it's quite harmless. The points if she won the whole
thing isn't much at all- nobody is pulling a fast one here.
The locals don't seem to mind that she's there to make a buck
either, I guess you have to look at it in their point of view.
Big stars don't usually go to Korea, it's cool for them to see
live tennis.

*I do have a problem with that WTA clause about selecting
the 8th player in the YEC. :tape:

Veritas
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Like everyone else already mentioned, it's obvious money is the main reason why Maria is playing in Seoul. I'm sure there are other reasons, but getting $200,000 for just appearing there is an offer hardly anyone would refuse.

I don't really mind Maria playing in Seoul. She gets the $200,000. Plus it gives the Koreans a chance to see their favourite tennis star live.

Where I do have a problem is if Maria is in good form and decides to play in Seoul, Guangzhou or even Tokyo-Tier III constantly. It will not help add to her ranking points and they will unnecessarily take up her time and effort to try and make it to the YEC. I think Maria will only play in those Asian cities for a while before deciding to pencil in a regular committment to the Kremlin Cup. It is insane that she would skip her own national tournament to play elsewhere. And it's not as if Moscow is a lower-Tier tournament either.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Where I do have a problem is if Maria is in good form and decides to play in Seoul, Guangzhou or even Tokyo-Tier III constantly.
Masha doesn't Guangzhou.

Veritas
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Masha doesn't Guangzhou.

Which was why I said IF.

t_fan
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM
This discussion is so last week.

Why asking the question when you know the answer anyway? Appearance fee, end of the discussion...

...On the ATP, a lot of top players play Mickey Mouse tournements all the time and no one complain.
If you think you understand everything, you've not been fully informed. And this tournament is more Starwars than Mickey Mouse :)
I could argue that she hasn't spent all that money, but that doesn't matter. Here's why what Maria is doing doesn't make sense:...
Ahh... To make things worse you also like counting money in others' purse, dear Lina :wavey:

TatiAnnahølic
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:40 AM
considering her lack of form of late i think it was a good tournament to play. she'll get some confidence from it.do you really think that beating some unknown chinese players will boost her confidence much?? :rolleyes: because I doubt it, IMO she's just looking for money

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM
And I guess Masha has been going by the motto: beat the biggies at a GS to win it, and beat the smallies at Tier III/Tier IV to win some titles.

By the way, this is the first Tier IV tournament that Masha plays in 2 years.

:haha: :rolls: So, what...you mean her top form can only lost 7 matches?!

Russia Rules
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM
There are MANY MANY Maria fans in Korea. She's just paying them a visit and making everyone happy. She cares for her fans and she's a very nice girl!

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM
There are MANY MANY Maria fans in Korea. She's just paying them a visit and making everyone happy. She cares for her fans and she's a very nice girl! I'm sure there are many Maria Mania fans in Columbia. But she's not visiting them because they can't pay her the oodles of money a Princess comes to expect.

bandabou
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
And what about the fans in RUSSIA....or even better: what about FAMILY in russia?!

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
But what about defending your first career title...

DA FOREHAND
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:22 PM
considering her lack of form of late i think it was a good tournament to play. she'll get some confidence from it.
Confidence from beating(she hopes) players most of the tennis world couldn't pick out of a lineup?

*Karen*
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM
When people remember her and look back on her titles. It will look as though she won loads of them. I do agree with some people. It is better to get some easy matches before you really do go into a slums. You don't want her to fall down the rankings like Hantuchova or Dokic.

Maybe Kournikova should've done this. Then nobody could say that she hasn't won a title.

DA FOREHAND
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
When people remember her and look back on her titles. It will look as though she won loads of them. I do agree with some people. It is better to get some easy matches before you really do go into a slums. You don't want her to fall down the rankings like Hantuchova or Dokic.

Maybe Kournikova should've done this. Then nobody could say that she hasn't won a title.
Then they would say she hasn't beat any top 20 players to win a title...
then progress to....
She hasn't beaten a top ten player to win a title
She hasn't won a tier III
" II"
Tier I
Grand Slam
Gold Medal
The Grand Slam
The Golden Slam

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Confidence from beating(she hopes) players most of the tennis world couldn't pick out of a lineup?
So, a win is a win.

Anyway, it ain't her fault that it's a weak Tier IV event.

DA FOREHAND
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM
So, a win is a win.

Anyway, it ain't her fault that it's a weak Tier IV event.

Which tier IV isn't weak?

*Karen*
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM
So what if she never wins the golden slam. Who has?

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Which tier IV isn't weak?
2003 Sarasota wasn't. :)

Sharapower
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM
*I do have a problem with that WTA clause about selecting
the 8th player in the YEC. :tape:
Does such a clause exist ? I didn't know. Jennifer might be very angry if the WTA used it to favor Maria (though it's not that absurd that they invite the winner of Wimbledon, the ATP gives a spot for GS winners in case they don't do the top 8). That would be a big controversy on this board, LOL.

I don't see the problem with Maria playing Seoul. I think it's a good "practice tournament", especially after her bad hardcourt season. And if she's granted a lot of money to play there that's the problem of WTA and the tournament organisators. The only thing that would be negative is Maria not winning the title because if so, then it wouldn't be exactly a confidence booster.

I'm not sure I heard Maria bitching about the AER this year. And I don't see the connection of AER and the thread topic. Maria wanting to play more tournaments does not necessarily mean high Tier tournaments.

On the other hand I agree that Maria should have chosen to play Moscow. That would have been a fair move.

hablo
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:32 PM
She never said she wants to be #1 NOW, she knows just as well as everyone else that ain't happen yet. And why would she go back to russia for one tourny that she would be lucky to get to the semis of. She can't hang with the big girls on tour at the moment becoz her game has gone to hell. Let her go to smaller events collect big money for just showing up and taking some pics with fans, and beat up on some below 50 ranked players. If spanking some players in korea means she can find her game and confidence again then she is doing the right thing.

She can't hang with the big girls?? This is not a very flattering remark in regards to Sharapova's skills!!

she is after all the Wimbledon winner !! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

It's too bad money seems to matter more to her than establishing herself against "the big girls" !! :( :(

Oh well, go Momo go!!

Experimentee
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Its all about the money. Shes not doing that badly that she needs confidence from beating players out of the top 50, the only players she has lost to lately are very good top 30 players, except for once when she lost to Washington. I doubt the main thing on her mind is bringing tennis to other parts of the world either.

harloo
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I doubt the main thing on her mind is bringing tennis to other parts of the world either.
I had a good laugh when I read that she was trying to bring tennis to other parts of the world.

For the most part, I think the decision probably was made by Yuri and his posse. It seems like ever since Maria has won Wimbledon she has been in tournaments that do not matter, but offer her a big appearance fee.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I just hope that when she is old enough to make decisions herself she makes better choices. However, if you can get 200,000 for showing up and doing nothing then why not take it. You never know in tennis, the Maria hype may fizzle out one day.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Maria has not beaten a top 30 player in her last 6 tournaments.
She hasn't been winning much prize money.

She had better grab all the appearance fee money that she can.
That won't be offered to her for too much longer. Unless she improves her game big time.