PDA

View Full Version : Mathew Shepard

Adrian
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Oscar nominees Stockard Channing and Sam Waterston, along with Canadian Shane Meier star in "THE MATTHEW SHEPARD STORY", airing SATURDAY, MARCH 16 at 9 p.m. ET (check local listings) on CTV. Based on a true story, the two-hour movie recounts the 1998 brutal murder of a 21-year-old university student who was targeted and killed due to his sexual orientation.

The Alliance Atlantis production is executive produced by Goldie Hawn (Cactus Flower), Alliance Atlantis' Peter Sussman and Ed Gernon (Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows), "The Matthew Shepard Story" details the tragic events of Matthew Shepard, a University of Wyoming student who was lured from a bar by two men, and driven to a remote field nearby, where he was beat and tied to a fence. Found 18-hours later by a mountain-biking student, Shepard lingered unconscious for five days before succumbing to his injuries on October 12, 1998. The police identified robbery as the chief motive for the attack, but the two men subsequently arrested and charged with Matthew's murder acknowledged that they had targeted him because he was gay.

Canadian actor Shane Meier (Walker, Texas Ranger) plays the title role of Matthew Shepard while Stockard Channing (Six Degrees of Separation, CTV's The West Wing) stars as Mathew's mother Judy, and Sam Waterston (The Killing Fields, CTV's Law & Order) as Dennis Shepard.

While the Shepard family mourned in private, the incident shocked North America and prompted a public outcry about hate crimes, particularly those against gays and lesbians. It also turned Judy Shepard, Matthew's mother, into an activist. Determined to use her grief to help prevent hate crimes and ensure that no parent would have to endure what she had, Judy Shepard formed a foundation in her son's name to reach out to American youths. She began speaking to audiences throughout the U.S. about making schools and communities safer -regardless of race, sex, religion or sexual orientation -and she testified before a Senate Judiciary Committee in support of a federal hate-crimes bill.

"The Matthew Shepard Story" is an Alliance Atlantis production in association with Goldie Hawn's Cosmic/Clearlight Pictures. Goldie Hawn, Alliance Atlantis' Peter Sussman and Ed Gernon are executive producers, while Clara George (Cruel Justice) serves as the producer. John Wierick (Bopha!) & Jacob Krueger are the writers, while Roger Spottiswoode (Tomorrow Never Dies) directs.

I hope Australia gets to see this soon :)

Philbo
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the info adrian, I hope it ocmes out here as well, I love Stockard Channing..