PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Set To Return Tomorrow

tennisIlove09
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Clijsters Set To Return Tomorrow
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/CLIJSTERSwimFMullane.jpg
Photo By Fred Mullane By Adrianna Outlaw
09/28/2004

Kim Clijsters won't have to travel too far to launch her long-awaited comeback to tournament tennis tomorrow. The seventh-ranked Belgian will play her first match in five months when she meets Iveta Benesova in the second-round of the Gaz de France Stars in Hasselt, Belgium near her hometown of Bree.
The former No. 1, who is seeded second behind U.S. Open and Roland Garros runner-up Elena Dementieva, has been training two to three hours per day in preparation for her return.

"In the past few days, I trained a lot," said Clijsters in a statement posted on her official web site Kim Clijsters.com (http://www.kimclijsters.com/). "Even though the backhand is still a bit stiff, I have a good feeling. And I am very eager to finally play again, in competition. Especially in my own country."

The Australian Open finalist pulled out of Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open after developing a cyst on her left wrist. Clijsters underwent surgery to remove the cyst from her wrist on June 12th at Wilrijk hospital near Antwerp, Belgium.

Her surgically-repaired left wrist lacks its former flexibility and Clijsters reports her two-handed backhand is still a bit stiff though her serve and forehand feel fine.

"I am pretty tired," Clijsters said. "I don't manage to control the backhand completely because it is a bit stiff still," she wrote. "The wrist itself is even less flexible, even after an extended warm up. ... My service and forehand are OK."

The 21-year-old Clijsters initially sustained a torn tendon in her left wrist during the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells in March. The injury forced the defending champion to pull out of Indian Wells. Clijsters, who competed in Belgium's Fed Cup tie in April, has played just one WTA Tour match since her injury, scoring a 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 victory over Spanish qualifier Marta Marrero in the second round of the Ladies German Open while sporting a six-inch brace on her left wrist. The day after her May 6th win over Marrero, Clijsters was forced to withdraw from the Berlin event with a recurrence of the wrist pain.

While her on-court activity has been limited, Clijsters has kept busy off the court with preparations for her February wedding to former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in Australia. The wedding ceremony will be followed by a celebration for family and close friends at a Belgian chateau.

When they do tie the knot, the pair will share plenty of closet space as they plan to maintain homes in both Hewitt's hometown of Adelaide in Bree, Belgium where Clijsters owns a house.

"I've always been in Australia at the end of the year so that might be our base, but I've got a house here in Belgium as well and that's where we're at now and so both," Clijsters said. "For me Belgium that's still my home and when I got to Australia it still seems like a big holiday every time I go there. I don't know how we're going to divide everything, but we'll just wait and see I guess."

Pengwin
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I hope players don't just attack the backhand to try and cause Kim pain

Brαm
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM
"I am pretty tired," Clijsters said.

She's tired? :scratch: :bolt:

ßcoene
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Maybe she means she's tired of not being 100%?

Evelyn Tremble
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Well will she be the same player when she returns? Who knows! But it’s great to see Kim back and hopefully maintaining her health. I find her to be an exciting player to watch although she has a little of the Sabatini traits for me being the lack to finish the match off. But surely if she can gain confidence and take that first major title then more will follow. I wonder how much she has looked at this years slams and said to herself ‘I wonder what might have been’? Had she been fully fit. For me the talents unquestionable it’s just her psyche that’s problematic.
Good luck Kim and great to have you back.

AK-DH Fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Hope she doesn't struggle to much. But at the ssame time I don't think we can excpect her to play great tennis. Well, have to wait and see, Glad u're back Kim:)

esquímaux
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Oh Kimmiepoo....:sad:

*abby*
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:37 PM
great to have her back :)

Mercredi
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Welcome Back Kim Clijsters!

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:19 PM
aww

ßcoene
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I just hope her wrist will be fine. I'm sure if she stays fit, she'll come back to her old level. Good luck Kim. :yeah:

ace4lleykim
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Can she be a second Steffi? Make a really great comeback?

kabuki
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Good luck Kim!

per4ever
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I hope players don't just attack the backhand to try and cause Kim pain
every normal player will try to attack her backhand.. :confused:

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Welcome back Kimmie. :hearts:

The tour has been so lacklustre without you. :sad:

Rub
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:52 AM
i have feeling kim will cruise in her matches here!

wateva
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:14 AM
kim will destroy all her opponents!!! :)

DEETHELICK
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Dementieva and Bovina with their big BHs could cause Kim a problem in Bh to Bh rallies. It would certianly put pressure on that wing for Kim. On the same note, it'll also help her to improve that side and maybe get it 'warmed up' and more flexible.

Blazedboy
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Can she be a second Steffi? Make a really great comeback?
Well considering a great comeback for Kim would be winning some tier 1 and 2 titles, whereas for steffi it was winning her 22nd grand slam at Roland Garros. No I don't think we can compare her to steffi...

Slumpsova
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Go girl! :kiss:

LostGlory
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Good luck Kimmie, i wish she makes an impressive come back , she deserves it ....