PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever regreted cheering for your favourite player?

LostGlory
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Have you ever regreted cheering for your favourite player and if yes why?

esquímaux
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
No :D.

volta
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM
NEVER. i´m always proud of my girls(even when they lose they do it with dignity)

bandabou
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM
NEVER..my fav will always be my fav and I´m gonna stay with her through tick and thin.

Shenanigans
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM
je ne regrette rien! ;)

englishjenfan
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Noooooo!

Chrissie-fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM
No way. No matter what the circumstances are,no matter whether she wins or loses,I'm ALWAYS proud of my Jen!

bigshow21
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Hell NO!!!!!!!! I love my favorite and will support her and cheer for her forever and ever!!!!!! :worship: Go Jen!!!!!!! :)

Shenanigans
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
bon, juste tennis ou rien du tout ?

non, malheuresment je parlais du tennis.

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I usually don't regret cheering for anyone, it's just a sport, but Justine is at least in my Top 5 favorite players, I'm more of a Justine person than a Kim person, but I feel a little bad after I root for Justine against Kim and Justine wins, because Kim is a great player and seems sweet and nice, so I sort of feel bad later, like how could I not root for Kim.

Momo4ever
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Not really, I dont do regreting, it is pointless.....I cheer for good tennis, that makes me a winner all the time:)

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
When hell freeze over, I still will cheer for my girls :kiss:

Evelyn Tremble
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I have regretted or felt a slight remorse cheering against a few players at times. Not because I even liked their opponent. A few times I couldn't cared less what the match was like as long a the players I wished to lose eventually lost.
But I can’t think I ever regretted cheering for my favourites.

Farina Elia Fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Ive never regreted cheering for Silvia

Joana
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I usually don't regret cheering for anyone, it's just a sport, but Justine is at least in my Top 5 favorite players, I'm more of a Justine person than a Kim person, but I feel a little bad after I root for Justine against Kim and Justine wins, because Kim is a great player and seems sweet and nice, so I sort of feel bad later, like how could I not root for Kim.
That makes it even sweeter, it's refreshing to see evil winning over good once in a while. :devil:

saki
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Aww. I feel that way when Justine plays Amelie or Myskina. I really like both of them too and they're great players to watch, but somehow I still want Justine to win!

*Karen*
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Never, never, never, never, NEVER.

Masharapova
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Sure Have! Lina Krasnoroutskaya was a big mistake I am afraid to say.

sarza
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM
no never, although sometimes i think i have a bad luck curse on her :lol:

Pamela Shriver
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM
I regretted cheering Martina on once.

Especially as she was playing (and beating) me.

Crazy_Fool
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
No, definately not, but i have cheered against my favourite once or twice, if i wanted to see another player i like achieve something ;)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Obviously not, Venus and Serena can do no wrong in my eyes! :angel:

JLDementieva
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:56 AM
If I regretted cheering for my fav, then it would mean I don't like that player anymore, and since I still like all my favs, it would be a no!

switz
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:00 AM
patty is my favourite. need i say more

Itairpac
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Not Ever!!!

If you are a "true" fan of a certain player, then you should know pretty much everything about them... good points, bad points, strengths, weaknesses. etc.

When you "really know the "ins" and "outs" of your favorite player , and still continue to be a fan , there's " No way" you should ever regret cheering for them. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CAPRIATI ---- 2005 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hearts: :hearts: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce:

Momo4ever
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM
You sound so confident, I have been disappointed with my favourite a few times but no regrets.....

DEETHELICK
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Yes, when Elena D and Jen played each other in the USO SF. Both are my faves, but I had a sligh inclination towards Elena to win this match. Even though it was NY and Jen's playground, I wanted Elena to win a little more as I felt for her, it would be a career defining win.

Sorry Jen! :)

skanky~skanketta
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM
if i cheer against her, i dont regret it. for example, i cheered against justine at the AO cuz i wanted kim to lose her virginity.

thelittlestelf
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I've never regretted cheering for Venus or Lindsay :hearts:.

hingis-seles
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM
I regretted cheering for Monica at RG 1998 when she beat Martina. Martina would've had a MUCH better chance to win that final.

Also regret cheering for Martina in AO 2002 semifinal when she beat Monica. Monica would've had a MUCH better chance to win the final.

I think that's about it. ;)

JonBcn
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
No, but I've often wanted to make other people regret cheering for their favourite players. If I could have five minutes with the tossers that chant "Let's Go Andy, Let's Go..!"

Virginia Wade
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Not once have I regretted cheering on Kim Clijsters as I admire her beautiful strokes.

:hearts:

Experimentee
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:25 PM
No, and I dont know why you would do that.

daniela86
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:23 PM
no :bounce:

LostGlory
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Its good to see very few Yes answers, very supportive crowd...

Jaime Bahena
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Obviously not, Venus and Serena can do no wrong in my eyes! :angel:

I don't regret cheering for anyone. I did, however, make a fool of myself cheering for Serena prior to 2004 Wimbledon final. I told some of my friends, "Yeah, Maria's gonna get a Royal Spanking, she's gonna be Serena's bi***. At the end of the match, I had to hear, "yeah, who the bi*** now, big mouth?" I won't cheer so loudly next time. By the way, thanks a bunch, Serena, for losing me a ton of money on that match, too.

crazillo
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Yes, once.

FrauleinSteffi
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
No never I love those girls!:)

Tennis Queen Graf Tearfully Retires With
'Nothing Left to Accomplish'

EIDELBERG, Germany-- When the fun stopped, Steffi Graf did what so many superstars have done in recent months. She said goodbye.

After 22 Grand Slam singles titles, 107 tournament wins on the WTA Tour and a record 377 weeks as the No. 1 player in the world, Graf retired Friday from the sport she dominated for nearly two decades.

One of just five players -- male or female -- to sweep the Grand Slam in a single year, Graf said she had "nothing left to accomplish."
"I'm not having fun anymore," Graf, fighting back tears, said at a news conference near her hometown of Bruehl.

Her announcement, foreshadowed by statements that she would not return to play Wimbledon or the French Open anymore, was the most recent retirement this year by one of sports' dominant players. Graf followed the path taken by Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, John Elway and Barry Sanders.

Graf, 30, had fought through numerous injuries in recent years and throughout her 17-year career, a tenure that also was plagued by off-court distractions.

It wasn't that she found it hard to keep up with today's generation of teen-age stars: Graf proved she still was a contender by beating Martina Hingis in this year's dramatic and emotional French Open final, and then reaching the final at Wimbledon.

"It was almost too easy to catch up to the top players again," Graf said. "I have nothing left to prove."

Graf said the decision to quit came two weeks ago as she was flying to a tournament in San Diego, where a thigh injury later caused her to pull out of her first-round match against Amy Frazier.

It turned out to be her last official appearance on tour.

"The weeks following Wimbledon weren't easy for me," Graf said. "I was pulled back and forth, but when I made my decision I didn't think about it one minute afterward."

She also said her decision had nothing to do with injuries.

"Right now, I'm perfectly fit," Graf said.

Graf turned pro in 1982 at the age of 13, and even as a teen-ager presented a stern and determined figure on the court -- a contrast to her modest, almost shy demeanor off the court.

She won her first tournament in April 1986, beating Chris Evert in Hilton Head, S.C. Graf beat Evert again 11 months later in Key Biscayne, Fla., becoming the youngest player to pass $1 million in earnings.

Graf won her first Grand Slam title in June 1987, beating Martina Navratilova at the French Open, and in August of that year gained the No. 1 world ranking for the first time.

She finished with more than $20 million in earnings, seven Wimbledon titles, six French Open titles, five U.S. Open titles and four Australian Open titles. In 1988, she won all four majors and the gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, giving her a "Golden Slam."

Her growing popularity was accompanied by personal setbacks, including her father spending 15 months in jail in 1997 and 1998 for tax evasion on her tennis winnings.

Graf's injuries -- more than 50 in all -- peaked in June 1997. She underwent knee surgery, and her career appeared to be over. Despite the 81/2-month layoff, Graf fought through several other injuries and reached the top again, culminating with her French Open title in May.

Although many thought Graf would wait until after this year's U.S. Open before retiring, her decision wasn't a complete surprise.

"I can kind of sympathize with what she's going through because when you're at the top, it is not easy to maintain it," Pete Sampras said. "She had an unbelievable career, did it with a lot of class.

"She went out and got the job done and made the racket do the talking. I have always looked up to her the way she approached the game."

undefined

undefined
More...

ADVERTISEMENT

[Close]

ADVERTISEMENT

[Close]

Yahoo! TV

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :)

Momo4ever
Oct 8th, 2004, 06:28 PM
The most important thing is to have faith in our favourites, give them the benefit of the doubt and remember that they are human and they have their ups and downs, my favourite is making me very happy these days....Thank you Momo for playing some of the best tennis I've ever seen....

Dementinator
Oct 8th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Absolutley not a fan sticks by their player through good and bad Wins and Losses!!

Kart
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:13 PM
YES !!!

Whenever she lost ... what a waste of time.

Kart
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Also regret cheering for Martina in AO 2002 semifinal when she beat Monica. Monica would've had a MUCH better chance to win the final.
:smash:

DeDe4925
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Hell no. Those are my little sisters. I love them and will cheer for them until my dying day. GO WILLIAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darrinbaker00
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Sure Have! Lina Krasnoroutskaya was a big mistake I am afraid to say.
Hypnotized you with those eyes, didn't she? ;)

LostGlory
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I have on many occasions

Greenout
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Can't say that this has ever really happened to me yet.

Martian Jeza
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM
NEVER of my life. And even she's retired, I still support her and still love her and will always love her. Once a Martian, 4-Ever a Martian !

spindoctor
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Never. What's the point of cheering someone if there's a slightest risk that you might regret it?
No regrets here, no.

LostGlory
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM
NEVER of my life. And even she's retired, I still support her and still love her and will always love her. Once a Martian, 4-Ever a Martian !

Hmmm your a fan of evanessence I think they the best, my best friend died last year at the age of thirty and the IRONY was that bring me back to life was her favourite song just before it happenned