PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to see Lindsay Davenport becoming #1 in the world this year?

TennisVSTennis
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Lindsay will be only about 150 points behind Amelie next week, she could take #1 ranking from Amelie.
But with people saying how undeserving Amelie is as #1 in the world, do you actually want to see Lindsay who has not won a slam for the past 5 years to become #1 in the world and makes 2000 ed. Hingis look like a saint?

Personally, I want to see Svetalena end up the year as #1, and continue US Open winner's tradition after Serena and Justine.

Crazy_Fool
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Lindsay will be only about 150 points behind Amelie next week, she could take #1 ranking from Amelie.
But with people saying how undeserving Amelie is as #1 in the world, do you actually want to see Lindsay who has not won a slam for the past 5 years to become #1 in the world and makes 2000 ed. Hingis look like a saint?

Personally, I want to see Svetalena end up the year as #1, and continue US Open winner's tradition after Serena and Justine.
Or Myskina :hearts:

But seriously whoever becomes number 1 right now imo doesn't matter, because there is no real number 1.

kabuki
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
At this time of the year you should start looking at the race standings. If Davenport plays this fall, she will be no. 1 for the year. If she plays, one other player would have to have an outrageous indoor season to catch Lindsay. Sveta is playing enough tourneys to catch her, but I would stop playing doubles until next year if I were her.

1 DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA
3967.00 14
2 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
3386.00 13
3 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS
3336.00 19
4 MYSKINA, ANASTASIA RUS
2982.00 15
5 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
2884.00 9
6 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS
2707.00 17
7 WILLIAMS, SERENA USA
2596.00 10
8 CAPRIATI, JENNIFER USA
2300.00 11
9 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
2250.00 15
10 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA
2145.00 13

TennisVSTennis
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
At this time of the year you should start looking at the race standings. If Davenport plays this fall, she will be no. 1 for the year. If she plays, one other player would have to have an outrageous indoor season to catch Lindsay. Sveta is playing enough tourneys to catch her, but I would stop playing doubles until next year if I were her.

I do recognize the fact that Lindsay has huge lead over the rest of the field.
Just as a reference Martina Hingis 2000 didnt win a slam and still becomes #1 despite many controversies.

1 (1) HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 6044.00 2273.0
2 (2) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 5021.00 2011.0
3 (3) WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 3694.00 1698.0
That's over 1000 point lead over Lindsay. 2000 over Venus, Lindsay wont do it this year.

However, if Martina gets blamed, at least she won Miami and YEC.
The biggest title Lindsay won this year was Tokyo where she lost 13 games overall.

I would rather see someone with a slam, and hopefully US Open trophy, to become #1 in the world.

kabuki
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I would rather see someone with a slam, and hopefully US Open trophy, to become #1 in the world.

I let go of this issue once I accepted that #1 is the player with the best results on the planet, not the best player on the planet.

croat123
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:30 PM
i think lindsay has, overall, played the best this year. when she's on..no one can beat her. she could have won both wimbledon and the u.s. open, but i just wasn't meant to be. still, she'll surely pick up at least one more title this year

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
im not just saying this cos im a lindsay fan, but i think if anyone is deserving of the no1 title this year, its her. Shes had a tremendous year! shes really been on top form apart from the blip at the us open. she would have won that if it wasnt for her groin injury.

St.Sebastian
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:41 PM
YES, she surely deserves it :)

Elske
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Yes! :worship:

Chrissie-fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Justine Henin is the obvious #1 (as in "the best") in my opinion. She was sick at the most important period of the season and she still managed to win two big events (Australian Open and Olympics) beating a fellow Slam-champ (Myskina) in the semis and the current official #1 in the final of the second of them.

It SHOULD be Myskina, Henin-Hardenne, Sharapova or Kusnetsova but that is unlikely to happen.

It will probably be Davenport or Mauresmo even though they didn't win a slam, but the victory will be dry because they know that nobody is truly the number one at the moment.

Elldee
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
How can someone who was out for the most important period of the season deserve to be number one? It doesn't make sense.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
You will notice upon reading my post that I'm talking about who is "the best," not about who deserves to be there based on results over a one year period. I think that when a player has missed an important part of the season and still manages to win two big events (which is more than any of the other stars who had the opportunity to defend their chances in ALL the majors) it makes a lot of sense to conclude that she's the best.

How can someone who was out for the most important period of the season deserve to be number one? It doesn't make sense.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I agree with the poster who said that the player RANKED #1 in the world, is the player with the best RESULTS, not (necessarily) the best PLAYER. I personally believe (BIG SHOCK) that Serena is the best player in the world, with Venus and Justine battling it out for #2 (since Venus OWNS Justine, I'll put Venus @ #2). However the elongated injury break, and subsequent lack of confidence, along with many other variables, have made this a difficult season for her. However, she is ranked #7 in the Porche Race while having played less than HALF of the tournaments of other players ranked slightly ahead and below her.
Lindsay has had an amazing season. She should have won the US Open (sorry Davenport haters). I honestly believe that she was injured slightly, but Kuznetsova's high level of play also contributed GREATLY to the Davenport loss. She should be ranked #1 based on her solid and consistent results throughout the year. No one else has performed so well for so long besides Linds. Also, what everyone keeps forgetting about is the fact that Lindsay has the MOST TITLES, and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't that count for something, considering a few of them were Tier I's, not to mention making the semi's of the LAST TWO grand slam events? So I mean it's not like she sucked the whole year!

HELL YEAH Lindsay should be Year-End #1.....she probably will be!!!!!!!!!!

GO LINDSAY!

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM
It SHOULD be...Sharapova...
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? After winning Wimbledon, she hasn't reached the SEMI'S OF ANY OTHER EVENT, including some Tier II's. NO WAY!
Sorry Masha, this was not your fall season.

Andrew.
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Well I think that the world number 1 should have won at least 1 grand slam in the last 12 months. Sharapova may have been under-par for 50 out of the 52 weeks but in those other 2 weeks she did enough to win a Grand Slam. And on the other hand having three great weeks out of the year doesn't make you number one. Apart from the grass results, she's done jack shit.

Shenanigans
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
If she gets to No.1 she will be deserving of No.1, cut the bitching!!

Farina Elia Fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I think Lindsay should be number 1 this year with out a shadow of a doubt!

She could have won 3 grand slam this year! At the French & US she got injured in the tournament and at Wimbledon the bloddy English (not British) weather lol stopped her winning!

Surely the number 1 player should be the best player on the tour and I can honestly say if ever single player was on top form I would say she would win

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Lindsay has one of teh best attitudes on court as well! she hardly ever loses her rag. Even though she goes mad when she does, you see that rarely!

Joana
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:39 PM
That's a rhetoric question.

Farina Elia Fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:41 PM
how on earth did us 'Bloody English' stop her from winning! is Sharapova English (and not welsh)?

i meant english weather

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:22 PM
lol i was gonna say, she said english weather! and i agree with that. maria isnt experienced enough to know how to overpower someone like davenport. she was told how to play eg like going for the aces on her second serve etc and making lindsay move more.

Crazy_Fool
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Well I think that the world number 1 should have won at least 1 grand slam in the last 12 months. Sharapova may have been under-par for 50 out of the 52 weeks but in those other 2 weeks she did enough to win a Grand Slam.
I disagree, the world number 1 should not win one GS and do nothing else in the other 50 weeks of the year, even Lena D deserves to be number 1 more than Sharapova right now.

At the end of the day there is no player you can say is the best, so it doesn't really bother me, you've gotta earn the points and being consistent is part of it.

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I disagree, the world number 1 should not win one GS and do nothing else in the other 50 weeks of the year, even Lena D deserves to be number 1 more than Sharapova right now.

At the end of the day there is no player you can say is the best, so it doesn't really bother me, you've gotta earn the points and being consistent is part of it.

i also agree. i had never even heard of sharapova until wimbledon when i watched her play lindsay in the SF. shes done jack the rest of the year. I didnt even watch the final. I was at wimbledon that day and was watching lindsay on the outside courts when she won!

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:31 AM
:haha:

How can people say Sharapova only had 3 good weeks on Grass when Lindsay only had a good American hardcourt season. :rolleyes:

(And of course a Wimbledon SF, where Masha beat her. :) )

fammmmedspin
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:35 AM
I do recognize the fact that Lindsay has huge lead over the rest of the field.
Just as a reference Martina Hingis 2000 didnt win a slam and still becomes #1 despite many controversies.

1 (1) HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 6044.00 2273.0
2 (2) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 5021.00 2011.0
3 (3) WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 3694.00 1698.0
That's over 1000 point lead over Lindsay. 2000 over Venus, Lindsay wont do it this year.

However, if Martina gets blamed, at least she won Miami and YEC.
The biggest title Lindsay won this year was Tokyo where she lost 13 games overall.

Martina had a long list of tournament wins, GS finals, wins over top players and a lot of matches won in her ranking. She is not in the same position as Lindsay or Momo would be as number 1 - nor indeed was Kim who also had the wins and GS finals. Problem with the top players is that no one meets those criteria let alone the domination of a Graf, Martina, serena or Justine.

Sveta is positioning nicely for a run at number 1 but probably next year. Nastya is now way behind Momo with Linz and Moscow falling out of her ranking and she didn't make points in Bali to make up for Linz. Nastya will have to do very well and get over her slump to stay ahead of Sveta by years end. Sveta has the advantage of the YEC too to add to her score which may make Nastya's task impossible. Maria is fighting for eigth place at the YEC so isn't yet near to number 1.

ktwtennis
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Yes--she's been the most consistent!

fabifan#1
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:51 AM
ya very proud of her this year

shap_half
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Justine. I'd love to see her finish the year for the second time on top. After only having played like 9 events this season and missing about 4 months of play, she won 5 tournaments. Only one less than lindsay. That also includes a GS and an Olympic Gold.

thelittlestelf
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Yes :worship:

Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:08 AM
:haha:

How can people say Sharapova only had 3 good weeks on Grass when Lindsay only had a good American hardcourt season. :rolleyes:

(And of course a Wimbledon SF, where Masha beat her. :) ) Oh, wait. Lindsay has six titles, and two other finals. Also two grand slams semis.

That Wimbledon semis is great for Maria, one of her three good weeks of the year. Fact is apart from that she's done jack shit and three good weeks in a year doesn't make a number one.

Knizzle
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Sure, why not.

Celeste
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM
She blew off the Olympics and then played a Tier III in Cincinnati, which sort of bugged me, so I'm kind of glad she lost at the U.S. Open and I hope she doesn't get to No. 1.

lindsayno1
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
she blew of the olympics because shed played consistently beforehand and didnt want to risk injuring herself. so by playing a tier III one, was less pressure and less chance of her injuring herself before the US open

swiss
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Sorry No ;)
I prefer Amélie to keep her place :lol: :bounce:

Lemonskin.
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:27 AM
YES!!! It would be absolutely awesome for Linds to be #1 at the end of the year! Hopefully it would give her a lot of confidence too, enough to want to come the the Australian Open and win it!!! It would be awesome if Lindsay could add at least one more GS title. GO LINDSAY!!!

*Jool*
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
yes , i'd really like her to end the year as n°1 coz she's the only one from top 10 I really appreciate :worship:
+ she deserves it, she's reached 11 SF on 14 tournies( WORST result is 4th Round in FO) , won 6 titles and reached 2 other finals.

W 6
F 2
SF 3
QF 2
4R 1

Come on Linday !! :yeah: