PDA

View Full Version : What slam is Amelie, #1 player in the world, most capable of winning?

TennisVSTennis
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:50 PM
French Open. Comparing all slams, she performs the worst on clay.
For 5 out of the 9 times she plays, she failed to reach 3R, unable to win more than 2 matches.
However, now that she has become #1 in the world, things will change.

Her game flows the best on clay, out of the 5 Tier I titles she won, 3 are on clay, the others are in Montreal.
And she choked in slams because she had a lack of confidence, with the experience of being #1 player in the world, she'll start to have the belief in herself again, and even more if she ends 2004 as #1.

She wont choke next year and she'll win French Open 2005.

kabuki
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Sorry, none. Barring France starting WWIII, all other countries boycotting the FO, and all the other French players getting food poisoning for two weeks.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
The number 1 ranking will be even more of a curse now. If she thought she had pressure to wina grandslam, it will be even more now that she is number 1 in the rankings.

saki
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Wimbledon, I think. She and Justine are the best grass-courters after Serena. With a bit of luck and Serena taken out by injury or someone else, I think she'd have a shot. Whether she'll get that luck is up to the gods.

Crazy_Fool
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Yeh wimby or AO, French Open is probably her best surface, but her nerves won't stand it there.

swiss
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
ALL OF THEM :devil:
she is excellent for all surfaces, but I think she is the best player of the world
on clay (with Justine) but she must win over her emotions :angel:
she 'll do it sometimes :drool:

jimbo mack
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Australian open definitely

the surface and conditions really seem to suit her

Harju.
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM
She plays best in clay but ironically Roland Garros seems to be that GS she just can not get.

IMO, her grass play is wonderful, so I think Wimbledon will be her second GS after AO. Well, hopefully :angel:

jimbo mack
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Wimbledon, I think. She and Justine are the best grass-courters after Serena. With a bit of luck and Serena taken out by injury or someone else, I think she'd have a shot. Whether she'll get that luck is up to the gods.

dont forget venus!! at her best, she's the best grasscourter out there

lindsay deserves a mention too

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:40 PM
She made the finals of Australian and last year was looking good and relaxed before the injury, so I have to go with that one. That's also the "least prestigious" Slam, or so they say, and it's at the start of the year and there's slightly less hype to it, so with the mental aspect, that might be her best shot.

The French, forget it, even if she can get over her nerves, that one's too much to ask unless she has like a total brain transplant. I've not seen a choke-job from her at Wimbledon, but Serena's a tough order, and Serena will be there at least several more years. Not sure about the US Open.

KV
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Think Australian Open

Shenanigans
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM
She is capable of winning any GS slam but as far as competition from other players in GS's, so many of the players are a bit suspect on grass, Wimbledon would be the one slam that would be the least toughest on paper.

Linnie
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM
She was interviewed on a French radio station last week, and said her best prospects were the Aussie and Wimbledon. I'll have to go with one (or both :angel: ) of those, too ;)

Sally Struthers
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Maybe she'll prove me wrong but I see Amelie going the Pam Shriver route and being slamless

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Maybe she'll prove me wrong but I see Amelie going the Pam Shriver route and being slamless
Sally!!! I know you have two Emmys, hon, so it's easy to call 'em as you see 'em, but have some charity for others, Sal, I mean you do campaign for charity each day.

kabuki
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Balderdash.

Elldee
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Um, Wimbledon. She deserved a win over Serena in the wimbledon semis this year but when her back played up she just kept losing. I was very impressed with Mauresmo in that match.

DA FOREHAND
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Grass courters

Venus
Serena
Lindsay
justine
Sharapova
Amelie

DA FOREHAND
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:57 PM
to answer the thread question

A.O.

bandabou
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I think Oz open or Wimbledon....clay is her best surface but she just canīt get it done at Rg..witness this year: Wins Berlin and Rome back to back and doesnīt loses to Elena D!!! on clay!! Not good...besides there is ALWAYS something with her in a big match.

justine&coria
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM
She's the number 1 : she is able to win every slam, isn't she ?

jamba2
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
the australian open

Pengwin
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Martina Hingis's best surface was clay,

I think Mauresmo will eventually win the French Open, but we all thought Henman would win Wimbledon too....

Knizzle
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM
She's not capable of winning any of them to be honest.

DEETHELICK
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Australian Open. The bounce and speed give Amelie enough time to set up, but can still enhance her power (unlike RG).

She was playing flawless tennis at the AO this year IMO. If it wasn't for that damn injury!

Now if she ever will win a Slam is a different question. I want to say yes, but my head isn't buying it. She is certainly very capable of winning the first 3 slams of the year.

Pengwin
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Clijsters, Henin, Williams, Capriati will always be around as long as Mauresmo is

So will:
Myskina
Kusnetsova

Maybe in a few years:
Sharapova
Zvonereva

any many people whom we probably haven't even heard of yet

harloo
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
It's kind of sad because the game is there, but she is too mentally fragile.

I do think it would be nice to see her finally win a slam though, but maybe a shrink is needed.

saki
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:08 PM
In response to a few people above, I don't rate Venus as being currently a better grass-courter. Obviously she has a great past record on grass but she's looked pretty mediocre this year. Linday, I was assuming wouldn't be playing Wimbledon next year, but obviously if she is she'd be above Amelie too. Maria, I think it's too early to really say about. Obviously she won Wimbledon so she can win it again, but she's slumping a bit at the moment.

Wojtek
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Australian open

boggs570
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM
French Open. Comparing all slams, she performs the worst on clay.
For 5 out of the 9 times she plays, she failed to reach 3R, unable to win more than 2 matches.
However, now that she has become #1 in the world, things will change.

Her game flows the best on clay, out of the 5 Tier I titles she won, 3 are on clay, the others are in Montreal.
And she choked in slams because she had a lack of confidence, with the experience of being #1 player in the world, she'll start to have the belief in herself again, and even more if she ends 2004 as #1.

She wont choke next year and she'll win French Open 2005.

None.

Evelyn Tremble
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:24 PM
If she takes up Russian citizenship then itís quite possible she could win the Australian Open.

Hagar
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:27 PM
She's good on all surfaces so basically she has a shot at all of them. But the fact that she has already reached the finals at Oz could help her.

hablo
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I think that Momo can win on any surface. However, the French Open will always be the hardest one. Too much pressure !!

Go Momo Go!! ;)

Brαm
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Martina Hingis's best surface was clay,

Says who? :scratch:
Wasn't she better on hardcourts? I mean, she won the US Open & reached the Aussie Open final 6 times in a row, winning 3 times!!

jenny161185
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:36 PM
ill go with the Oz Open

Sally Struthers
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Sally!!! I know you have two Emmys, hon, so it's easy to call 'em as you see 'em, but have some charity for others, Sal, I mean you do campaign for charity each day.

well all right. Maybe she'll be a mira sorvino and win the big one one day.

Evelyn Tremble
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:03 PM
well all right. Maybe she'll be a mira sorvino and win the big one one day.

Didnít Mira win one for her role in Mighty Aphrodite?

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Didnít Mira win one for her role in Mighty Aphrodite?
Yes, she won Best Supporting Actress. She had some great lines with that high little voice.

"Are you my one o'clock?"

"You're not like all my other jons. They come in here, whip out a big dick, and throw a couple hundred dollars down on the table. But you're not like that."

sense
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:28 AM
It would have to be the Australian Open. Far away from France,
and she's had her best career result here back in 1999. The surface
suits her style of play very well.

Stamp Paid
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:47 AM
I hope she wins the French before she retires, just not over Serena. :yeah:

cartmancop
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
If it ever happens... which I'm beginning to doubt. I think it could happen @ the AO. She's had success there in the past & I think the starts the year off in better form than the Williams,Davenport & most of the Russians who take some time to get going.
I think she would have won the AO this year but she had to pull out mid-tourny with a back injury:(.

MinnyGophers
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:34 AM
I would probably say the AO and Wimby are her best chances.
As for RG, I would really love to see her win it, but I really doubt she will unless she wins another slam first.

fabifan#1
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:36 AM
i think shes going to win wimbledon first

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:44 AM
OZ, I think.
It's the beginning of the year, and some of the other players aren't in shape.
The court's sticky, so her spins and slices will change direction even more after they bounce.
All of France won't be living in her shorts.
The court's slow enough that she won't have to go power-for-power with the bashers, and maybe throw out her back.

There are so many power baseliners that it'll be hard for her to win the US or Wimbledon. As soon as she runs into one of them in a zone, she's done for. The surface is too fast.

I will say though, if she wins one slam, then her second will be RG.

Mariangelina
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Oz Open or Wimbledon. And I'm sorry, but she'll never win RG unless she wins another one first. :sad:

oddkayla
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM
NONE! Are you kidding? Her psyche alone will ensure that she never wins a slam.

*Karen*
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
None of them.

cherrytree
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Based on her past results, Australian Open and Wimbledon. She reached the AO final at 19; and the AO being early in the season means there is less pressure than the slams later in the year. She has made SF the last two times she has played at Wimbledon, and she was very close to winning the most recent SF, plus she has a great net game which gives her an advantage on grass. She can adapt her game brilliantly to clay, as shown by the fact she has won Berlin twice and Rome, but the home pressure of Roland Garros means it might be too much for her mentally to take that title. Having said that, Mary Pierce was able to do it after many years of pressure, and she was 25 at the time, the same age Amelie is now, so she still has a chance. I think to have the best chance at RG she needs to win one of the other slams first. I really hope she can win her first slam at the AO next year, I believe she has a genuinely great chance to win, and it would take a lot of the pressure off her as soon as possible.

WF4EVER
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:48 PM
1999 Aus Open? Was that the final she made? Then that's it.

Amelie has the game to play well and win on any surface, their is nothing wrong wih her game. It's her head that's the problem and unless she fixes her mental problem the only way I can see her winning a Slam is if 127 other players drop dead.

If she can't get her shit together, 1999 OZ is it!

Mr_Molik
Oct 6th, 2004, 07:56 AM
aussie open imo
but she has the game to win all of them though