PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up big time!

Viva
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:01 PM
I had my mid term exams for year 12 and it was the English exam. It is worth 25% towards our HSC (Higher School Certificate, helps determine what your UAI is, UAI is a mark that is given and that mark is used to see if you get into University, it is out of 100) . We had 2 essays to write and 4 questions to answer. One essay was on Emma and Clueless which was worth 15% and the other was on "Changing Self" 5%. I didn't know The Clueless/Emma one was worth 15% and so I did the changing self one first. I went into elaborate detail and it took up most of my time. I had 15 minutes to do the Emma but only got a page and a quater done and not very well structured or analyzed. I threw away all those marks because I didn't bother checking!

Now I'm worried I wont be able to get into Uni. I will die if I don't get into Uni. It's the only thing I know what I wanna do with my future. I can't be believe I was so stupid! And you don't get easy marks in Advanced English, you have to really work for it. My vocabulary wasn't that great because I forgot most of my "big" words and - oh I screwed it up!

I came home and bawled my eyes out.

Sorry about the whinge, I just had to get it out.

:sad:

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Bro' all I can say is that we have all been there, if you hadn't done as well as you espected you can pick up the marks elsewhere, don't think of this as a mistake you have other chances, its a lesson learnt and you'll do good in the others, i have faith:)

Kisha
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:15 PM
lol @ Mark! Viva aint a bro!

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:23 PM
:o Viva is a bro to me;)

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Viva, I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm not familiar with the system there, but you should at least wait and see your marks before you get too upset. :)

Kisha
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Viva, my honey, im sure all we be cool. Just wait and see what you get. Then if its not what you want, cant you retake it?

SM
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Its only one subject ,they count your ten best units ...which it might not be

dont put soo much store on getting straight in to uni...you do have other options , two years ago i was in the same frame of mind as urself!
Firstly , if you just miss out by a little bit u can go to the faculty and get in thru an interview or something like some of my friends did (one who missed out by more than 20 marks!!) , you can save money but not time and do a TAFE course which can get u in to Uni with advanced standing etc...and more

anyway relaxe ,yr12 is meant for fun...well for me it was one big bludge :)

SM
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:01 AM
ok think of it in these terms..its worth 25% of your ASSESSEMENT mark...the assessment mark constitutes 50% of your total English mark , the other 50% coming from the hsc exam itself

so in reality that 25% ends up being worth 12.5% of your total english mark...which isnt much at all and nothing to stress about ! thats 12.5% is your mark for one subject , there should be atleast another four or so which count towards ur UAI...it isnt going to have a big impact at all even if u failed it big time

hope that helps and puts it in perspective

Viva
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone.

I just always do stuff like this, never check. Grrr!

O well, I'll just have to wait and see.....I only do 5 UAI applicable subjects so I have to do well in all of them.

hee hee, I'm a bro! Go me!

Feel a little bit better. I'll get over it. I had 4 slices of chocolate cake so I'm definitle feeling better.

Ah chocolate, the solution to all life's problems. :)

CanadianBoy21
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Hey as long as u keep believing in yourself all will be good.
I am in grade 11 this year, and my first semester went awful, I failed accounting, but did good in all my other classes, and I decided to step it up this semester, and so far am getting good marks. What I am trying to say, is that even if u do bad in something, there are always other chances.
IF u keep believing in yourself.
When I found out I failed accounting, I came home, thought about it for one minute and moved on, past is the past, now u got to concentrate on the present, and work towards the future.
Got to be a fighter, and I bet u are.
:bounce:

marshmellow
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:23 AM
hopefully things work out for you viva :bounce: