PDA

View Full Version : Hantuchova is a Venus Clone

TSequoia01
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:03 PM
After watching the Hantuchova / Gagilardi match this afternoon I was struck how much Hantuchova reminded me of Venus. She has a strong serve, she is tall, has a great backhand down the line, goes for her shot (approx 50 winners), strong if sometimes erractic forehand, and makes her share of ue's (in the forties?). Is this a Venus clone or what? :cool:

Martian KC
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:05 PM
No, it's Daniela Hantuchova.:)

TSequoia01
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:12 PM
KC we all know what her name is, I was referring to her playing style. ;)

Martian Martin
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:20 PM
For once I agree with you Pea!! ;)

She is her own player, but if she did remind me of a player I would say Lindsay and not Venus, just because her backhand is a lot like Lindsay's.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:23 PM
she reminds me a lot of venus. Their styles are very similar. She has great court coverage like venus(which lindsay doesn't), she has a strong first and second serve(though not as strong as Venus) her backhands is more consistent than her forehand(like venus). She is also tall and lanky like venus. Davenport may be tall but she is not lanky or lithe. Though daniela does share lindsays ability to get into the dumps mentally, though she seems to recover better than lindsay does.

DANILEA "LITTLE VENUS" HANTUCHOVA HONORARY WILLIAMS SISTER!!!

moon
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:23 PM
agree with Tseque01.

Lil Vee is on her way :)

btw--Lindsay is tall, but is certainly not as skinny or move as well around the court than Dani.

RockSteady
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Her first serve is weaker, her second serve is better. Also, she hits it (almost) as hard and flat, but likes to rally more than the other power players. You see Venus, Lindsay, Serena end the point quickly, Hantuchova on the other hand gambles a bit less, IMO.

exoneuk
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Hantchucova? A VENUS CLONE? ARE YOU MAD!!!!!

Quite obviously... ;) Hee hee hee!

CanadianBoy21
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:30 PM
I don't think she is.
I mean u can see somethings that Venus does, so does Daniella, like hitting down the line backhand.
But just because Daniella hits hard doesn't mean she is even comparable to Venus.
Not yet anyways.
Venus hits way harder, and is more consistent.
Venus is much mentally thougher.
Venus has a bigger first serve, better court coverage(although Daniella amazes me as well), and also a better backhand.
The one thing that Daniella does better though is hit her second serve better then Venus.
Both have quality volleys, and both have reach, determination, and streaky forehands that take cofee breaks during a match.
But to say she is a 'clone' of Venus, IMO, is not right.

I mean Venus is #1 this week, and she is a two time Wimbledon champion, and two time Us Open Champion.
Of course, we have to give Daniella time to develop still.
We'll see though in few years if they are similar at all, and also see if Daniella has four slams by the time she reaches the age that Venus is now.

moon
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Rocksteady--Venus used to end the point quickly, but now she is patient, and wait for the opportunity to hit a winner.

TSequoia01
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Superhero it was not my intent to say she was Venus' equal. But has similar tools. Venus is 21 while Daniella only is 18. But their playing style is remarkably similar. Maybe she has patterned her play after the Queen. Also I like her.

Daniella "Lil Venus" Hantuchova :bounce: :bounce:

CanadianBoy21
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:44 PM
TSequoia01 - apology, I misunderstood your post.

mishar
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:01 PM
I saw the resemblance as well. Although she doesn't pound the ball like Venus does -- she hits some nice angles and gets some nice depth, but doesn't seem to hit the ball that hard. Her serve is great, but she doesn't have the ability to just win a lot of free points from it.
Her main problem seems to be mental -- a ton of errors. Especially on that forehand side! Eeek. Venus can make up for it with her powerful serve and return. It will cost Daniela against the top players.
But she is still young and can grow a lot in that department, just like Venus has.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:01 AM
I didn't think Daniela was doing a very good job of getting to Gagliardi's drop shots. On several occasions she seemed just to stop, when it looked as though she could get there.

Venus, on the other hand, is quite good at getting to drop shots.

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Never in a million years:rolleyes:

GogoGirl
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:59 AM
I agree w/this thread starter. I noticed it last year at Wimby. Daniela could have won that match against Venus - but for Venus's experience and Daniela's nerves.

I said back then and posted it on another message board, that Daniela was going to be a force on the tour soon. And I meant - real soon. So - I see that I was not far off.

Not that other players don't attack shot balls - and Venus was not the first - but I'm sure, Daniela picked up a thing or two from Venus - as has others - about coming in, like Steffi, to whack a short ball. I.e., Justine, Kim, Jelena, and even Monica has incorporated it into her game, here lately. Many free points can be gained that way.

For the most part, and although, Daniela's first serve was a little off today - that girlie-girl has a very good first and second serve. I mean - I was sitting on the edge of my seat last year during that match. I implored to Venus over and over, that she had better tread carefully - for that young lady - meant business. She is a great striker of the ball - and her stroke is misleading to other players. I mean - during her and Venus's match last year - she kept Venus off guard as to w/where she was going to smack that ball.

That child is going nowhere but up. And Venus has commented on how talented Daniela is. Venus knows the realeo dealeo - when she sees it. Miss Daniela gots lots of game.

venusrocks
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:01 AM
NA UH! UH-UH!

She has the power and depth of Lindsay! Not Venus!

geoepee
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Another player besides Hantuchova that appears to be Venusesque to me is Tulyaganova. Despite the size difference, I noticed a lot of similarities in Tulyagonva's game and Venus/Serena's. The powerful serve, the open stance backhand, forehand....
I saw the similarities in her match against Serena last year in Miami. I know that Venus is Iroda's fave player. Anyone else see the resemblance?

Randy H
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure I agree with Daniela at all intentionally moulding her game to resemble Venus', but there definitely some similarities. When Venus Broke through at the 1997 US Open, less than a year later Daniela had turned pro and was moving her way up through the challengers, despite being only 15. She's always had this type of game, only now she's become a lot more consistent obviously.

One thing that I feel separates them style wise is the face that to me, Venus is strictly a baseliner. She *can* put away the volleys, but her intent is to whack a winner, and if it comes back, it'll probably be short and she can put away a winner, or a swining volley. In Daniela's case I see a lot more intent to serve and volley during matches, and she does it quite successfully aswell. I think that's a very good sign because she's got a well places serve, and even her second is so good that she is not afraid to serve and volley behind that aswell. Good to see her really trying to use an all court game in her matches. :)

Wally
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:41 AM
lil venus!?

oh please!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Their games are similar, their build is similar and if you cant see it then you must be blind. clone, no. similar yes. And I like the lil v nick name.

daniela lil v

TSequoia01
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Daniela joined the 40-40 club of Venus and Serena Williams. At least 40 winners and 40 ue's.

Daniela Hantuchova Honorary Williams Sister

Venus, Serena, and Daniela! The Williams Sisters

lol :) ;) :cool:

Becool
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:49 AM
geoepee both Williams are a font of inspiration of Iroda :rolleyes:

Wally
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:51 AM
i'm sure she wouldnt like it as much as some of u guys do! :p

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:52 AM
pete sampras had over fifty winners and ue in his match!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Daniela isn't a venus clone, her shots are technically very correct apart from the odd few times she tends to slap at her forehand.

Daniela is herself, she wouldn't want to be anyone but herself.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:58 AM
no one here really thought she was a clone, it was a figure of speech.

Volcana
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:01 AM
They both use the open stance, which make the way they swing very similar. They played recently, OZ maybe. I started a thread about the similarity then, because I wanted to write an essay on the open stance vs other styles, and I was going to use Hantuchova as the comparison. Imagine my surprise when Venus Williams turned out to be playing the only other tall, skinny player on the tour who uses the open stance almost as much as Venus.

Anyone who dislikes Venus and likes Daniela will object to the nickname 'Lil Venus'. However, if you can look past age, skin color, natioanlity, ranking and experience and just focus on how the two players swing at the ball, they play in a very similar manner. People have been commenting on this all year. I'm somewhat surprised to read denials now.

moon
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Randy--I think you're wrong about Vee's style of play. In the beginning she was mostly a baseliner, but her game has evolved into an all-court one. Sometimes when she plays lower ranked players she stays back, because she knows she doesn't have to do much more than that to win. but the tougher the opponent the more variety she brings to her game.

Jakeev
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Yeah I disagree too Randy. Venus definitely battles from all over the court.

As for Daniela, well I can seriously see her challenging Venus for Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles in the next few years.

Dawn Marie
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Randy I disagree too.. Venus has become an all court player. I also see a resemblence of Venus in Dani. Their gamestyles are qyite similar.

Dani *lil Venus*... that is cute.

Her game is imho alot like Vee's was when Vee was 18.

GO VEE AND DANI! ROCK ON! LONG LEGGED ONE'S
... ROCK ON!!!:-)

Randy H
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Maybe I worded that a bit incorrectly - I don't mean that Venus is strictly baseline, but I feel that her net game isn't the same style because it's usually a swing volley put away from mid-court, and seldom do I see her coming in behind the serve. If she's moving into court it's because she hit a great shot from the baseline that got a weak reply back, so not really the same intent to come in (not to say it's by any means less effective). Maybe I'm just blind ;) lol

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:56 AM
No, Randy, you are, as usual, quite correct ;) :p

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:54 AM
No, I think Daniela is more like Lindsay than Venus.

I mean, her technic is almost perfect, and is very fluid, just like Lindsay. She is faster than Lindsay too, but style and technique wise, she is like Lindsay.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Daniela's volleys are technically more correct,
Venus 90% of time uses Swing Volleys to put ball away as that doesn't need a change of grip.

Daniela's BH is much more like Lindsay's than Venus, her serve is also alot better than Venus' technically.

Daniela's resembles Venus' in the very slightest or terms.

Just wait till you see Vera Douchevina in around 3 years, she's alot like Daniela.

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Give it a rest, Egg.

The best player to come out of Russia in the last five years is non other than ANNA KOURNIKOVA. :eek: :p :wavey:

Tatiana Panova
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:23 AM
I think that there is a similarity but this just reflects the modern game i.e. open stance forehand and backhand, big serve, kicking second serve. She has the leverage that Venus does, and I think she is more naturally talented, but Venus is a better athlete.

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Dani is Dani and Venus is Venus! You can't compare them! Venus has more power but Dani has a better game. That's my opinion

propi
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:23 PM
saying that it's stupid. If you think that way it also can be stated Venus is Lindsay 's clon, tall, strong serve and strong backhand and forehand....
C'mon don't think everyboby is like venus!!! :o :o :o

matthias
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Daniela has her own style, it isn´t fair to call her a clone from
venus!

TSequoia01
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Come on people, of course she is not a clone of Venus. No scientist were involved in her creation. It just means their games are similar. Get it, got it, good! :cool:

Pureracket
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM
I wish Lil' V luck in her match in her match against Hingis. Alas, I'm sure the Suisse Miss will be too much for her.

sartrista7
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:10 PM
I agree, many aspects of Daniela's game are reminiscent of Venus. The open stance for example. (Not the volleys, though, Daniela's are very classic volleys as opposed to Venus' trademark swing volley.) Their physiques are pretty similar too - very tall, very skinny, looooong legs. Definitely some similarities there. Iroda's game is much more Venus-like though imo.

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Don't call Dani 'Lil V' or 'Lil Venus'. She is not a clone, a copy or whatever of Venus or of any other player! She has her own personality and she is called DANIELA !

:wavey:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Good Luck to Daniela LIL V Hantuchova!!! Give Martina a run for her money!!!!

moon
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:59 PM
ditto Cybelle.
I'll be cheering for Lil Venus tomorrow myself. :)

Fingon
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:12 AM
If you are going to consider a player as another player's clone just for a few similarities (like strong backhand, erratic forehand, good serve or number of UE/winners), then half of the players in the tour are clones of the other half.

Daniela may hit hard, so do many other players, Daniela might have a strong serve, so do many other players, Daniela may hit many UE and winners..., etc.

I don't see technical similarities, their shot making is completely different.

I can't say someone is someone elses clone because they both have a good backhand, now if you tell me they both have the same technique on the backhand, then we can start talking. The same applies to all the rest.

Venus is an unorthodox player ( and that isn't something bad, it's just the way she is), she hits the ball and plays the points her own way, partly because her body allows her to, I don't believe there isn't any other player in the tour similar to Venus, and I am not talking about results but technique, not even Serena.

I think the same applies to Martina, her style is very particular (not better, not worse, just different) and not many player can play like she does. Same goes for Monica and many others.

maccardel
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:25 AM
I think I uinderstand what this post is about and I see where and what it means. I believe you and agree with you. A clone is started fromscratch to resemble and be identical to something.....and yes she was and is now a clone of venus. But clones are just that, clones. Eventhough she may have copied the style she cannot copy the soul or mind and that's what gives venus the edge and separate the two....

Perfect example of trying to clone something or copy something is Capriati's shots in Scottsdale.(no comment).

It's not an insult or anything to be compared to the hottest player on the tour right now. So I say to Daniela and Alexandra....U go Girls!!!!!!!!!!

TSequoia01
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Daniela plays alot like Venus. Open stance forehands and backhands, strong groundstrokes, good court coverage....etc. But the clincher is her mindset. This young lady had approximately 50 winners. To obtain 50 winners you must have flat out aggression. I mean you must go for it at every opportunity. In fact, I cannot for the life of me think of any other players who could produce 50 winners outside of Venus and Serena. Add 40 plus unforced errors and still win is.......gotta say it "Venus like". How about coming to net behind those nifty little drop shots......you got it, "Venus like". Hmmmmm wonder how she would look with beads? :cool:

Daniela "Lil V" Hantuchova Honorary Williams Sister

aura of daniela
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:44 AM
They way you guys are talking, maybe Richard Williams had an affair while in Europe, but Daniela would look a bit more tanned then. hehehe.
Lil Vee, Maybe Venus will be known as Big Dani.
I do agree that there are similarities between the two, but I think Daniela has a slighty better net game, and maybe a bit better touch than Venus does. No offense to Venus though.
I think if just doesn't already, she will have a smarter game than Venus does.
In my opinion, Daniela looks like a merger between Venus and Hingis.
But if I was to compare her to a single player, I think Kim Clijsters has more similarity, and more smarts on the court, like Daniela has.

Simon

Pureracket
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:37 AM
I hope Lil' V can some of that deft touch and smart tennis in the final. If so, that should be a good match.

maccardel
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:13 AM
I hope she runs into capriati or hingis everytime then monica can make a final in the grand slam......