PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Players

Helas
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Which of the current top tennis players smokes.

I heard that Babsi Schett smokes 40 a day!

http://www.barbara-schett.net/off70.jpg
Explains a lot !

Obviously Capriati does or did.

Anyone know of anymore?

SerenaSlam
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM
nope :eek:

CooCooCachoo
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:08 PM
From the ATP I know that Karsten Braasch likes to smoke a lot :tape:

Mase
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Conchi?

mboyle
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
J-Cap doesn't really smoke, and never has. That was one photo of her in a club.

Helas
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
http://www.barbara-schett.net/offcourt348.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CooCooCachoo
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Babsi :haha:

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Everyone in Hollywood smokes at least two packs a day. In fact, I hate to admit it now, but I did Chesterfield ads in the 1940's, but I was supporting Jess, the twins, mom, and my sister Florence, so I really needed the money!

http://www.ad-solutelyvintageads.com/chesterfieldhayward.jpg

pav
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Bepa steams, fumes, but hope She don't smoke!

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Everyone in Hollywood smokes at least two packs a day. In fact, I hate to admit it now, but I did Chesterfield ads in the 1940's, but I was supporting Jess, the twins, mom, and my sister Florence, so I really needed the money!

http://www.ad-solutelyvintageads.com/chesterfieldhayward.jpg
Is that your husband at the bottom of the pic? He looks very sweet to me...I thaught you liked butch men? :tape:

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hon, I wouldn't be caught dead with a fruit like that in the poster. Here are my hunky husbands:

Jess Barker, being hit on by Marlene Dietrich at the Hollywood Canteen, every woman wanted him, but I had him!

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/photographs/reg/HC-101.jpg

Here's Floyd and me at the 1956 Oscars where I lost to a woman with a moustache. The twins had fun, though.

http://www.geocities.com/audrey_64063/Eatonsusanandboys.jpg

vogus
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Smoking cigarettes as a professional athlete is just pathetic IMO. Not to mention that it's a dirty, smelly and gross habit. I really hope it isn't true about Schett (i wonder where you "heard" this - and i assume you are referring to smoking cigarrettes, not weed).

Karsten Braasch smokes, true, but he has also never done anything on the ATP tour, so i don't know why people even mention the guy.

If Babsi Schett is smoking then i suppose Patty might be smoking as well, since they were partying together last week at Octoberfest and Patty's husband is already a non-stop smoker. :(

I think Kournikova smokes but then she's retired from competition. In general i try to support players who would never think of touching a cigarette. I bet you'd never catch Justine or Vera or Lena D smoking in a million years.

Savior
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:27 PM
As a former smoker... I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that anyone even half as active as Schett would smoke FORTY cigarettes a day. That's two whole packs. When would she have time to play tennis... or walk?

vogus
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
oh, another player who smokes - Mauresmo. Yuck. No wonder she can't win a Grand Slam.

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Personally, I think you guys are mixing up smoking cigars socially, and actually smoking cigarettes. They are two different things entirely.

vogus
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Personally, I think you guys are mixing up smoking cigars socially, and actually smoking cigarettes. They are two different things entirely.
yeah, maybe you're right, hopefully that's all it is.

Spunky83
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM

As an on and off smoker I´d love to believe you;)

Yeah, Momo smokes occasionaly, but so do most of the french people. She´s actually hiding her smoking habit from her coach. Marat Safin is a social smoker as well, can´t think of any others at the moment.

ali
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM
J-Cap doesn't really smoke, and never has. That was one photo of her in a club.
And wasan't she just holding it for a friend? ;) :p

lindsayno1
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:57 PM
oh, another player who smokes - Mauresmo. Yuck. No wonder she can't win a Grand Slam.

she looks like a smoker!

thelittlestelf
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:57 PM
It's nearly impossible to smoke and do well in tennis, or any sport for that matter.

lindsayno1
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:58 PM
my sisters adament lindsay davenport smokes! she has no basis for it though AND shes 13 - so therefore talks crap! Im like 'how can u think that!' she said 'she looks like a west end smoker' - whatever one of those is!!!!! *cries* leave my lindsay alone!!!! freak!

thelittlestelf
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM
my sisters adament lindsay davenport smokes! she has no basis for it though AND shes 13 - so therefore talks crap! Im like 'how can u think that!' she said 'she looks like a west end smoker' - whatever one of those is!!!!! *cries* leave my lindsay alone!!!! freak!
Lol Lindsay doesn't smoke, however, she does have quite a pottymouth!

:lol: She's so funny.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:04 PM
As a former smoker... I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that anyone even half as active as Schett would smoke FORTY cigarettes a day. That's two whole packs. When would she have time to play tennis... or walk?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lindsayno1
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Lol Lindsay doesn't smoke, however, she does have quite a pottymouth!

:lol: She's so funny.

quite a WHAT?

thelittlestelf
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM
quite a WHAT?
Pottymouth---aka she swears a lot.

Shenanigans
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:18 PM
she looks like a smoker!

What does a smoker look like? Britney Spears?

fried_beans
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Anna k def does

-Sonic-
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Tim Henman occasionally smokes when he is out somewhere

beauty_is_pink
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:35 PM
you shouldnt smoke if you're gonna be active.. i mean i did and when i ran i felt as if my lungs were gonna collapse on me and i was gonna pass out :o
but erm.. it could be that i hadnt ran in a while :o that doesnt prove my point tho!

anyways, smoking's bad for athletes...

Shenanigans
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM
you shouldnt smoke if you're gonna be active.. i mean i did and when i ran i felt as if my lungs were gonna collapse on me and i was gonna pass out :o
but erm.. it could be that i hadnt ran in a while :o that doesnt prove my point tho!

anyways, smoking's bad for athletes...

Well if they are only doing it occasionaly and socially it will not do them much harm.

beauty_is_pink
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Well if they are only doing it occasionaly and socially it will not do them much harm.hopefully they kno not to get addicted

Joana
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:13 PM
I really don't understand when or why smoking has become a mortal sin.

esquímaux
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Conchi?Tell me about it! I think I saw a pack of marlboro lights hangin' out her tennis bag ;):smoke:

Courtney Love
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:40 PM
What the hell is wrong with smoking?

I sing my guts out nearly every day, and I have the lungs of a fish.

Exactly.

switz
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:11 AM
i hardly think smoking an unlit cigar in a joking fashion is evidence she smokes 40 a day. and unless babsi said so i would not believe it or even consider believing because it is ridiculous. i think it's the kind of thing we would have heard before if true.

i presumed it was a joke

hotandspicey
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Jcap and Majoli are def. smokers...they party, drink, and smoke!!

Chrissie-fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Johan Cruyff is one of the best soccer players of all time,and he was a smoker.

It's nearly impossible to smoke and do well in tennis, or any sport for that matter.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Neither do I. I guess at the moment it's fashionable to hate smokers. There's been a strong anti-smoker campaign by politicians and the media in recent years,and so the majority of people follow like sheep (like they tend to do whenever they get an opportunity to be negative about a group of people to which they don't belong). No doubt that cigarettes are killers though....just like alcohol,eating too much,cars,etc.... If for a couple of years in a row the papers and magazines tell folks that driving a car is a disgusting habit you can bet that most people who don't have a car will start hating drivers.

I really don't understand when or why smoking has become a mortal sin.

carling
Sep 28th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Puffin' Away!

switz
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Neither do I. I guess at the moment it's fashionable to hate smokers. There's been a strong anti-smoker campaign by politicians and the media in recent years,and so the majority of people follow like sheep (like they tend to do whenever they get an opportunity to be negative about a group of people to which they don't belong). No doubt that cigarettes are killers though....just like alcohol,eating too much,cars,etc.... If for a couple of years in a row the papers and magazines tell folks that driving a car is a disgusting habit you can bet that most people who don't have a car will start hating drivers.

what nonsense. non-smokers dislikes smoking because it affects their lives directly - coming home from bars reeking of smoke, the disgusting smell, and not i guess there's also that whole thing about how second hand smoke causing cancer as well. as someone who has worked in bar i can say that i felt like i was a smoker after coming home from work because my throats was fulll of crap.

no doubt alcohol and eating too much can cause health problems to, but i haven't heard too many cases of people developing a heart condition from watching someone eat a big mac. cars kill innoncent people but it's the driver not the car that causes the incident, and accidents are an unfortunate but not inevtitable outcome.

smoking = yuck

vutt
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I agree with Switz.

But if you Chrissie-fan and Joana want to poison yourself out of the sight from normal people then by all means you can do it.

lindsayno1
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM
What does a smoker look like? Britney Spears?

lol!!! no i didnt mean it in a nasty way - but with some people you can just tell.

Pamela Shriver
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I've said it once, I'll say it again...I'm smokin'!

azmad_88
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM
does henin smokes?

bionic71
Sep 28th, 2004, 10:36 AM
what nonsense. non-smokers dislikes smoking because it affects their lives directly - coming home from bars reeking of smoke, the disgusting smell, and not i guess there's also that whole thing about how second hand smoke causing cancer as well. as someone who has worked in bar i can say that i felt like i was a smoker after coming home from work because my throats was fulll of crap.

no doubt alcohol and eating too much can cause health problems to, but i haven't heard too many cases of people developing a heart condition from watching someone eat a big mac. cars kill innoncent people but it's the driver not the car that causes the incident, and accidents are an unfortunate but not inevtitable outcome.

smoking = yuckI agree whole heartedly with this post about smoking...

I couldn't care less if an adult chooses to smoke...unless it is a close friend or family member and then it concerns me greatly.

If you need to smoke do it away from others and not in confined places.

It is simply that the smoke generated from the habit of others does have an effect on me....that is the issue.,,that I have no control over the smoke generated by others that I am forced to inhale in many circumstances.
I also worked in a club many years ago...and the smell of my clothes and the sore throat and cough I developed as a result was dreadful.
I attended two concerts in Holland recently, indoors (40,000 seaters) and there was no smoking ban. I was surrounded by smokers whilst trying to enjoy a concert and I felt physically ill half way through...that sort of non-caring attitude is absolutely disgraceful. I left the concert both nights with the foulest sore throat and eyes.

Back to the question at hand....Evie Dominikovic does smoke.

swiss
Sep 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM
As an on and off smoker I´d love to believe you;)

Yeah, Momo smokes occasionaly, but so do most of the french people. She´s actually hiding her smoking habit from her coach. Marat Safin is a social smoker as well, can´t think of any others at the moment.

:awww:
she smoked a few years ago, occasionnaly, she doesn't anymore :rolleyes: but she tried to stop her coach s' smoking, that 's right, she bet this and won :angel:
I don't know if he succeded anyway :drool:

you, don't :smoke: too much ;) la moquette :tape:

vogus
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM

smoking = yuck

well said switzy. I love how smokers are always trying to blame everything on politicians and the press, not to mention the non-smokers themselves.

And Dominikovic, it makes sense, she is a such an underachiever on the tour...

geojango
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Jess Barker, being hit on by Marlene Dietrich at the Hollywood Canteen, every woman wanted him, but I had him!

from what i've heard, helen, marlene was only using jess to get to you. :kiss:

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM
from what i've heard, helen, marlene was only using jess to get to you. :kiss:
Hon, Marlene was a real original, and she didn't fit into any boxes. Maybe she was after Jess AND me. Jess was a super-hunk and super-stud, I mean, all kinds of dames wanted him! ;)

Mariangelina
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Mariangelina's Thoughts From On High:

1. Smoking is just really silly if you're a professional athlete.
2. But if you really want to poison yourself in private, they aren't my lungs, and that's not a "mortal sin", it's just not very bright.
3. Smoking publicly is different. I'm sorry, but it's obnoxious. There are many people, like me, who react very strongly to tobacco smoke- my eyes water, I cough, and I get REALLY nauseated. I am basically physically unable to eat in the smoking section of a busy restaurant, and I'm hardly the only one. Please, if you can't stop smoking to save your own lungs, do it to give others a break.

Well, I know Conchita smokes. Amélie used to smoke :rolleyes: when she was younger, but I believe she said she quit. (I certainly hope so)

After seeing those pics of Babsi, I'm wondering if she's smoking something besides tobacco... :lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Kim Clijsters definately smokes (with Leyton too). She can't be THAT innocent :devil:

Elvira
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:15 AM
That's like when I used to work in retail, these big buff bodybuilder guys would come in and buy cigarettes, and I always wondered how they could lift weights if they smoked like that! :shrug: Must have been on 'roids because with weight lifting, I'd think they'd run out of breath too quick to be built that big naturally.

pan
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Karsten Braasch smokes, true, but he has also never done anything on the ATP tour, so i don't know why people even mention the guy.

rubbish. he's still playing and doing well in doubles and he was a solid top 100 singles-player for years. maybe you're too young to remember... ;)

i know that STICH smokes a lot and he definately did when he was a pro.

and SCHÜTTLER smokes as well.

CondiLicious
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:31 PM
what nonsense. non-smokers dislikes smoking because it affects their lives directly
Agreed. My whole family smokes and I *hate* the smell of it on my clothes and hair. I can't sit with them anymore... even when they aren't smoking cause it's still lingering in the air. If I walk through the living room... I come out stinking of cigarettes even if I've only been in there a few seconds. I take several showers a day sometimes to get the smell off me. They think I'm crazy but I just can't be in my room and have that smell stuck to me. But... it's their home just as much as mine so I have to deal with it.

Joana
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
That's like when I used to work in retail, these big buff bodybuilder guys would come in and buy cigarettes, and I always wondered how they could lift weights if they smoked like that! :shrug: Must have been on 'roids because with weight lifting, I'd think they'd run out of breath too quick to be built that big naturally.
Well perhaps they only smoked a couple of cigarettes a day, which is not that bad and will not kill you withing a month, as some people use to think. However, smoking 2 packs a day over years sure is going to make your body suffer.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I love smoking...but I need to stop 'cos it's starting to be REALLY expensive ;)

Chrissie-fan
Sep 29th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Well,if you have difficulty quitting,try to limit yourself to half (or less if possible) the number of cigarettes you smoke now. You will save yourself lots of money,you will do less harm to your body and you will actually get more taste out of the cigarettes you do smoke.

I love smoking...but I need to stop 'cos it's starting to be REALLY expensive ;)

Etienne Stekelenburg
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Johan Cruyff is one of the best soccer players of all time,and he was a smoker.
And almost died of a heart attack but lucky nr. 14 was just in front of a Spanish hospital when that happend. So the biggest football player of all times was saved from a certain death.

He once said he knew he was going to die like his father and at that very same age. He was exactly of that age when he got his heart trouble.

Was he driving in the middle of the Nevada dessert he would have not survived it and his feelings would have come true.

Not long after his recovery he was seen in an anti smoking ad kicking his Roxy Dual sigarettes and chewing on lollipops. To replace siggies he started chewing on sunflower seeds.

http://www.happyvpro.nl/img.srv/8594577846580583.jpg?w=150

E.

Lemonskin.
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Elena Dementieva's winners are smokin'...

...but I don't think she smokes.

:p

fifiricci
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Kim Clijsters definately smokes (with Leyton too). She can't be THAT innocent :devil::lol: What do you mean? Kimmy is an angel :angel: I can't picture her popping out the back of the stadium in Hasselt to drag on a Marlboro Light!

I think Lleyts smokes cigars tho, so maybe she puffs his (:o ) during the holiday season :p