PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment about the YEC

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Women's Match of the Day

Beijing - Final
Serena Williams (1) def. Svetlana Kuznetsova (2) 4-6 7-5 6-4

There was a certain symmetry to it all: This spring, at her first event under an injury ranking, Serena Williams won Miami. Since then -- nothing. Now, at her last event under an injury ranking, she finally has another title.

It wasn't easy. Had Kuznetsova not been so tired -- this was her fifteenth match in the last four weeks, plus a lot of doubles -- it might well have turned out differently. Kuznetsova had match points in the second at 5-4, but couldn't convert, and Serena took the second chance and ran, rattling off seven straight games as Kuznetsova just couldn't get any energy into her serve. The Russian did get a bit of a second wind after that, but it was far too late.

Ironically, Serena has very little else to show for the win other than the title. Maria Sharapova had another disappointing event, but she earned enough points to stay ahead of Serena, meaning that Serena, who came in at #10, stays at #10. And Kuznetsova stays at #5. The week might almost not have happened.

It's a measure of how tough this year has been for Serena that this was only her second Top Five win of the year -- and the other was over an injured Amelie Mauresmo at Wimbledon in a match she was losing at the time Mauresmo's back flared up (though, to be fair to Serena if not to Mauresmo, the Frenchwoman might well have clutched up mentally if she hadn't clutched up physically).

Serena's win does make things very interesting in the WTA Race. Kuznetsova, because she lost, remains barely behind #2 Amelie Mauresmo, and more than 600 points behind #1 Lindsay Davenport. Still, Davenport, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, and Anastasia Myskina are sure to be going to Los Angeles (and Kuznetsova still has a real chance to end the year at #2, and a theoretical chance even for #1). In practice, Justine Henin-Hardenne is also in, and probably Elena Dementieva as well. The last two spots, though, are tricky. According to our calculations, the win moves Serena up to #7 in the Race. (We have to be cautious about this, because the WTA's totals for the Race do not match the week-by-week rankings figures they have published. It appears that they have retroactively changed the rankings totals of five different players; this affects this historical rankings; it appears that in at least one case a player lost a match she should not have been required to play. We hope to have a fuller story on this later this week once we have tracked down all the implications.) By our numbers, Jennifer Capriati is #8, Maria Sharapova #9, and Venus Williams #10. The WTA can wildcard one player into the Championships. Sharapova is the only Slam winner who isn't sure to qualify, and the WTA, as is its wont, has been giving her a disgusting and excessive amount of publicity. But would they boot Capriati to put her in? Or Serena? And where does Venus fit in? One suspects they did not anticipate this when they cut the Championships field down to eight....

lizchris
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Depending on how Serena plays until the YEC, she can get bonus points now when she beats a hihger ranked player, so it is conceivable that she could surpass Dementieva.

The situation with Jenifer can get sticky because she has semifinalist points to defend, so if she qualifies and they boot her for Maria, there could be trouble.

This also goes to show why they should have left the format to the top sixteen with single elimination. There was nothing wrong with this format when the YEC was held in NY.

Stamp Paid
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Wow, so Serena was lucky to win BOTH of her top 5 wins this year. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Can the same be said for Dementieva's, whos top 5 wins come over an injured Lindsay at RG and a mentally fragile Momo at RG & the USO?http://wtaworld.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

chris whiteside
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Depending on how Serena plays until the YEC, she can get bonus points now when she beats a hihger ranked player, so it is conceivable that she could surpass Dementieva.

The situation with Jenifer can get sticky because she has semifinalist points to defend, so if she qualifies and they boot her for Maria, there could be trouble.

This also goes to show why they should have left the format to the top sixteen with single elimination. There was nothing wrong with this format when the YEC was held in NY.

There seems to be a misconception persisting that the YEC race and the WTA rankings are the same. The race for the YEC is based solely on points won in tourmaments for the year and begins at the start of the year. It is not done on a rolling year and there is no such thing as having points to defend.

Rocketta
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Wow, so Serena was lucky to win BOTH of her top 5 wins this year. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Can the same be said for Dementieva's, whos top 5 wins come over an injured Lindsay at RG and a mentally fragile Momo at RG & the USO?http://wtaworld.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
Yeah that part was pretty much :bs:

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah...that was low blow to Serena...like Serena hadn´t beaten either momo or sveta before.

lizchris
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:07 PM
There seems to be a misconception persisting that the YEC race and the WTA rankings are the same. The race for the YEC is based solely on points won in tourmaments for the year and begins at the start of the year. It is not done on a rolling year and there is no such thing as having points to defend.

Do you mean that the YEC SF points that Jennifer had added to her ranking last year aren't going to come off if she can't defend them? They did for Venus and Serena last year.

And yes, I am aware that the WTA tour ranking points are cumulative and the YEC points are from January 1 - Advanta Championships.

vettipooh
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:10 PM
The writer gives no credit to Serena for her wins.:rolleyes: My guess is that the wta will exercise their right to issue a wild card. Could end up real interesting if they do.Hope Serena gets to #6 so that she is in no danger of being booted. Look for Kim to perhaps get the wild card.

Helas
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:44 PM
The YEC should be scrapped.

It attracts little media attention and tires the players out.

The YEC prize money should be redistributed among the Tier 1 & Tier 2 events.

mboyle
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Oh Good so Maria will qualify no matter what thanks to Wimbledon. Nice to know.

TennisVSTennis
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Who has been the one telling me there is no wildcard for YEC:rolleyes:.
Good to know Maria is qualified:).

Pureracket
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
If it's an American who is #8,(Venus, Serena, JenCap) I doubt if Sharapova will be pushed up. If the #8 is Dementieva, then Maria may get a chance. Then again, Sharapova may very well qualify, and this conversation will become moot.

Volcana
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:32 PM
By our numbers, Jennifer Capriati is #8, Maria Sharapova #9, and Venus Williams #10. The WTA can wildcard one player into the Championships. Sharapova is the only Slam winner who isn't sure to qualify, and the WTA, as is its wont, has been giving her a disgusting and excessive amount of publicity. But would they boot Capriati to put her in? Or Serena? And where does Venus fit in? One suspects they did not anticipate this when they cut the Championships field down to eight....Now THAT's funny.:) Whodathunkit. Probably the four most popular players for a tournament in L.A. (Lindsay might have something to say about that) competing for the last two spots.

Far and away the most horrible (and unlikely) scenario is Venus #8, Maria #9. Drop you second biggest meal ticket to get in the Wimbledon? Think of all those empty seats in the Staples Center, being seen on international TV. Worse, since the only way that can happen is for Venus to win Moscow AND Zurich, you'd be dropping the hottest player on the tour.

But .... leave the WImbledon champ and your second newest star out? It's not as bad as it could be since Kuznetsova followed up her US Open win so strongly. SHE'S the 'newest' star.

But you are so right they never planned on this.

athought

Russia Rules
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
A place should definately be reserved for Maria!

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Can you imagine this scenario: no.8 Serena, no.9 Maria....wow, now talk about headache.

Russia Rules
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Can you imagine this scenario: no.8 Serena, no.9 Maria....wow, now talk about headache.

That won't happen, the chance are very low(u better hope that doesn't happen ;) ) I think Serena will be 7th. I still think Maria will finish 8th, but even if she doesn't she'll be in the YEC!

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM
That won't happen, the chance are very low(u better hope that doesn't happen ;) ) I think Serena will be 7th. I still think Maria will finish 8th, but even if she doesn't she'll be in the YEC!

Serena too....

Stamp Paid
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, and I'll be mad as hell if Sharapove gets that spot over Serena! http://wtaworld.com/ubb/frown.gif I'll end up trolling all the Sharapova threads. http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

mishar
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I doubt Jennifer qualifies, unless Maria burns out completely.

Over the last three years, in the months between the US OPen adn the YEC, Jennifer has compiled a 4-7 record. It's clearly not her favorite time to play.

hotandspicey
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I doubt it seriously that the wta will boot an American who's in 8th place, in favor of Maria.I think they would like to have more than one American to draw crowds and ratings.

chris whiteside
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Do you mean that the YEC SF points that Jennifer had added to her ranking last year aren't going to come off if she can't defend them? They did for Venus and Serena last year.

And yes, I am aware that the WTA tour ranking points are cumulative and the YEC points are from January 1 - Advanta Championships.

hi lizchris, yes the semi points will come off her ranking but qualification for the YEC is solely on points earned from the beginning of the year. Maybe we're talking at cross purposes.

croat123
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM
the wta shouldn't hand out a wc. whoever qualifies, qualifies

lizchris
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
the wta shouldn't hand out a wc. whoever qualifies, qualifies

I agree, but I wouldn't have a problem if they handed one to Kim because she is the two time defending champion.