PDA

View Full Version : Serena - Player of the Week

boggs570
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:05 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_5417_rx.asp

SJW
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:09 PM
yup, true about the final part of the article, i was also surprised at how much support she had :eek:

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Congrats babygirl!!

Fingon
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
she is, but this player of the week thing is like duh.

obviously the player who has won the most important tournament that week is the player of the week.

The wta loves to state the obvious.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:47 PM

obviously the player who has won the most important tournament that week is the player of the week.

Why is the China Open the most important tourney of the week? :confused:

grmbl
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:51 PM
She's the player of the year! Yeah!

Fingon
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Why is the China Open the most important tourney of the week? :confused:
because it's a tier 2, and actually the only wta tournament played that week duh again.

le bon vivant
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Watching championship match for the first time now... http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/hearts.gif

le bon vivant
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I am LMFAO at the twohanded forehand slice return. That shot was sick!http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/hearts.gif

boggs570
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I am LMFAO at the twohanded forehand slice return. That shot was sick!http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/hearts.gif

Why was it sick?

le bon vivant
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Why was it sick?
Because it was amazing and creative! http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/hearts.gif

cheo23
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:40 PM
don't THink She was the Player of the WEEK..yeah she won but barely..Svetlana was playin her like freakin 4th Tournament in a Row & Almost Won by havin a MATch POINT
...if they had played like earlier in the week..Svetlana WINS EASILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vettipooh
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:51 PM
don't THink She was the Player of the WEEK..yeah she won but barely..Svetlana was playin her like freakin 4th Tournament in a Row & Almost Won by havin a MATch POINT
...if they had played like earlier in the week..Svetlana WINS EASILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sour, sour grapes. Serena held the winners trophy and pocketed the winners check!!! Unfortunately, you don't get to decide the player of the week!!!;)

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:52 PM
...if they had played like earlier in the week..Svetlana WINS EASILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe, maybe not....you wanna know how many people won tournaments after saving mpīs?! Svetlana had mpīs herself against her in the second round. Remember?!

cheo23
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Maybe, maybe not....you wanna know how many people won tournaments after saving mpīs?! Svetlana had mpīs herself against her in the second round. Remember?!
what I meant to say is that..Svetlana was exhausted after playin the US OPEN,Bali, & finally the China OPen..she did have a Match POInt against SEREnA In the 2nd SET...so it tells Me she still had a chance..I think SERena just got Lucky..We'll SEe the NEXt time they Play! Svetlana will be Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:10 PM
what I meant to say is that..Svetlana was exhausted after playin the US OPEN,Bali, & finally the China OPen..she did have a Match POInt against SEREnA In the 2nd SET...so it tells Me she still had a chance..I think SERena just got Lucky..We'll SEe the NEXt time they Play! Svetlana will be Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Serena will be ready too...was this the first time Serena beat Sveta?!

vettipooh
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
what I meant to say is that..Svetlana was exhausted after playin the US OPEN,Bali, & finally the China OPen..she did have a Match POInt against SEREnA In the 2nd SET...so it tells Me she still had a chance..I think SERena just got Lucky..We'll SEe the NEXt time they Play! Svetlana will be Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you are for getting the old saying...It takes ass to kick ass!!!:wavey:!:lol:

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Serena - The Russian Slayer.

Fingon
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM
what I meant to say is that..Svetlana was exhausted after playin the US OPEN,Bali, & finally the China OPen..she did have a Match POInt against SEREnA In the 2nd SET...so it tells Me she still had a chance..I think SERena just got Lucky..We'll SEe the NEXt time they Play! Svetlana will be Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am not even a Serena fan, but get a clue will you?
every single win can be tainted using your argument.
Yes, Svetlana won the US Open and deserved it, but following your logic,
Justine had a cold, and was coming back from a long lay off, if she had been 100% Svetlana wouldn't have been in the final.
Kim didn't play, if she had played Svetlana wouldn't have gone past her.
Serena is well below her level ...
Venus is well below her level ...
Mauresmo chokes ...
Having match points doesn't win you matches, WINNING the match points does and that was what Serena did.
Serena won, she beat the player that was in front of her, her name being Svetlana Kuznetsova or Catherine the Great, end of story, game over, next.
When Svetlana WINS, then you can call her the best player that week (providing the wins the biggest tournament that week) and nobody would argue it.
some people would twist thing in incredible ways to get their wishes :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I am not even a Serena fan, but get a clue will you?
Justine had a cold, and was coming back from a long lay off, if she had been 100% Svetlana wouldn't have been in the final.
Mauresmo chokes ...
Having match points doesn't win you matches, WINNING the match points does and that was what Serena did.
Serena won, she beat the player that was in front of her, her name being Svetlana Kuznetsova or Catherine the Great, end of story, game over, next.
When Svetlana WINS, then you can call her the best player that week (providing the wins the biggest tournament that week) and nobody would argue it.

well said!

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
because it's a tier 2, and actually the only wta tournament played that week duh again.
So, since it was the only tournament played that week then it doesn't matter that it was a tier 2. duhhh?? I mean huhhh?? :cool: :p

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:07 PM
well said!
What are you agreeing with bandabou? Serena and Venus are not below Svet's level. Fingnon hit your favorites below the belt right under your nose and you didn't even notice.

I don't even know how Fingnon can even suggest such a thing in his diatribe against Cheo because of the two times Svet has played the Williams' sisters, she's lost. :rolleyes:

le bon vivant
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM
What are you agreeing with bandabou? Serena and Venus are not below Svet's level. Fingnon hit your favorites below the belt right under your nose and you didn't even notice.

I don't even know how Fingnon can even suggest such a thing in his diatribe against Cheo because of the two times Svet has played the Williams' sisters, she's lost. :rolleyes:
No, I thought he meant Venus and Serena were below their respective best levels of tennis, not below Sveta's level.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
No, I thought he meant Venus and Serena were below their respective best levels of tennis, not below Sveta's level.
Oh, my bad. If that's the case, my apologies to Fingnon and Bandabou. I misread it. :wavey:

Thanks Trineo for your clarification. :kiss:

le bon vivant
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Oh, my bad. If that's the case, my apologies to Fingnon and Bandabou. I misread it. :wavey:

Thanks Trineo for your clarification. :kiss:
No prob chica! http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif

cheo23
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I am not even a Serena fan, but get a clue will you?
Mauresmo chokes ...
WHATEVER! ALL I'm Sayin..is that SERENA BARELY DEFEATED SVETLANa..After Svetlana Had Played like FReakin 4th Week In a Row...it shows that if SHe was MOre Rested she would have easily Defeated SERENA! We'll See the NEXT time they Play!!!!!!!!! Go SVetlana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:30 PM
WHATEVER! ALL I'm Sayin..is that SERENA BARELY DEFEATED SVETLANa..After Svetlana Had Played like FReakin 4th Week In a Row...it shows that if SHe was MOre Rested she would have easily Defeated SERENA! We'll See the NEXT time they Play!!!!!!!!! Go SVetlana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you know this how?!

PatM04
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
She hasn't had back to back losses since 2000 :eek: thats true talent:)

Kabezya
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Congrats Serena

Fingon
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
And you know this how?!when people are that irrational there is no point in continuing the argument.

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:57 PM
:lol: I guess so, fingon...

tennisIlove09
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Serena also picked up the "Win of the Week"

September 27, 2004

http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/serena2_5274_rx.jpg
Đ Getty Images
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Serena's Birthday Blast is Win of the Week

BEIJING, China - Always a favorite to win any tournament she's playing, Serena Williams may have been considered an underdog in the finals of the China Open. Williams was up against Svetlana Kuznetsova, the Russian teenager whose recent rise on the tennis scene has in the last four weeks included a Grand Slam title at the US open and another title earned after a successful week in Bali.

Kuznetsova marched into the Chinese final after winning 14 straight matches and was looking to add her third straight trophy to her mantle.

But Williams had other plans, and on her 23rd birthday, she won her first title in her last eight tournaments - earning this week's WTATour.com Win of the Week with her 46 75 64 victory.

Things started looking grim for Williams early on in the match after the top seed dropped the opening set, 6-4. And it didn't look any better when Williams was serving at 4-5 in the second set and suddenly saw herself staring at a pair of match points from Kuznetsova.

Yet Williams kept her composure, saved both of those points, broke Kuznetsova in the next game and followed by serving out the set. From there, Williams kept her head high and eventually collected the 25th title of her career.

"Fortunately I was able to hold my serve at 4-5 in the second set to even it at 5-all," Williams said. "Even though she had a couple of match points, I never gave up. It was encouraging that I could win without playing my best. I have to work on my double faults."

The 2 hour, 10 minute finale gave Serena her first title since Miami in early April and ended a long title drought for the former No.1.

"I've never won a tournament on my birthday before," Williams said. "Even though I don't celebrate, it was a good present. I just didn't want to give up. I didn't want to lose."

TennisVSTennis
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM
ha...I dont think she realizes that Chinese are happy to see anyone coming from America.
It's rare for them to see stars on tv in person, pretty much anyone hyped by the American press is a star in China.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Congrats Babygirl :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:41 PM
TC has the China Open Final again @8pm EST Monday.

Capster
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I am so glad Serena won the title and Player of the Week. She is too talented to go on a 6 months drought. And when she cried after she won the title, I was clapping my hands to congradulate her................YAYYYYYYYY SERENA!!!!

hotandspicey
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Well deserved "Player and win of the week!! Four Russians in a row!!!! Well done. And on her Bday, too?Hmm hhmm Hhmmm!!!!!!!!!

fammmmedspin
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:14 AM

I am still waiting for the surprise award when player of the week is awarded to a player for the best flower arrangement or hairstyle or to the player who walked furthest on water or raised Lazarus again.

thelittlestelf
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Every win is tainted by one poster :mad: .