PDA

View Full Version : Rankings not updated

©@®eLess
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Rankings not updated

WTATOUR says:Please note: Due to Hurricane Jeanne in Florida, the WTA Rankings were not published on Sunday evening (EST). They will be published from the St Petersburg office as soon as possible Monday morning (EST).

:eek: :eek: :eek: :o :o :o :eek: :eek: :eek:

chris whiteside
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Rankings not updated

WTATOUR says:Please note: Due to Hurricane Jeanne in Florida, the WTA Rankings were not published on Sunday evening (EST). They will be published from the St Petersburg office as soon as possible Monday morning (EST).

:eek: :eek: :eek: :o :o :o :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks. Wondered why they hadn't been.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM
they should use the WTA European headquarters in Roehampton London to do it then :p
(then again they'd have to work on weekends :tape:, just like ITF too lazy :o)

meanwhile ranks
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=124168

boggs570
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
All I know is that Serena being at #10 is not good.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
not only that but Tennis Europe in Basel
and ITF in London

also not done updates on Mon morning
and www.federtennis.it (http://www.federtennis.it) all were away watching davis cup :rolleyes: and not doing updates as usual :fiery:

its catching :mad:

KV
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM
To make it worse! Guess Tennis Europe is under construction.

GoDominique
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:45 PM
and www.federtennis.it (http://www.federtennis.it/) all were away watching davis cup :rolleyes: and not doing updates as usual :fiery:

:lol: I thought the same yesterday when I checked for Biella scores. ;)
Now they are probably still celebrating that great 3-2 victory over Poland. :lol:

croat123
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:46 PM
TBE should be allowed to release the official rankings ;)

tennischick
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM
this article has some interesting tips about the rankings. what the heck is the secret change he's talking about? see highlighted below.
TC

Women's Match of the Day

Beijing - Final
Serena Williams (1) def. Svetlana Kuznetsova (2) 4-6 7-5 6-4

There was a certain symmetry to it all: This spring, at her first event under an injury ranking, Serena Williams won Miami. Since then -- nothing. Now, at her last event under an injury ranking, she finally has another title.

It wasn't easy. Had Kuznetsova not been so tired -- this was her fifteenth match in the last four weeks, plus a lot of doubles -- it might well have turned out differently. Kuznetsova had match points in the second at 5-4, but couldn't convert, and Serena took the second chance and ran, rattling off seven straight games as Kuznetsova just couldn't get any energy into her serve. The Russian did get a bit of a second wind after that, but it was far too late.

Ironically, Serena has very little else to show for the win other than the title. Maria Sharapova had another disappointing event, but she earned enough points to stay ahead of Serena, meaning that Serena, who came in at #10, stays at #10. And Kuznetsova stays at #5. The week might almost not have happened.

It's a measure of how tough this year has been for Serena that this was only her second Top Five win of the year -- and the other was over an injured Amelie Mauresmo at Wimbledon in a match she was losing at the time Mauresmo's back flared up (though, to be fair to Serena if not to Mauresmo, the Frenchwoman might well have clutched up mentally if she hadn't clutched up physically).

Serena's win does make things very interesting in the WTA Race. Kuznetsova, because she lost, remains barely behind #2 Amelie Mauresmo, and more than 600 points behind #1 Lindsay Davenport. Still, Davenport, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, and Anastasia Myskina are sure to be going to Los Angeles (and Kuznetsova still has a real chance to end the year at #2, and a theoretical chance even for #1). In practice, Justine Henin-Hardenne is also in, and probably Elena Dementieva as well. The last two spots, though, are tricky. According to our calculations, the win moves Serena up to #7 in the Race. (We have to be cautious about this, because the WTA's totals for the Race do not match the week-by-week rankings figures they have published. It appears that they have retroactively changed the rankings totals of five different players; this affects this historical rankings; it appears that in at least one case a player lost a match she should not have been required to play. We hope to have a fuller story on this later this week once we have tracked down all the implications.) By our numbers, Jennifer Capriati is #8, Maria Sharapova #9, and Venus Williams #10. The WTA can wildcard one player into the Championships. Sharapova is the only Slam winner who isn't sure to qualify, and the WTA, as is its wont, has been giving her a disgusting and excessive amount of publicity. But would they boot Capriati to put her in? Or Serena? And where does Venus fit in? One suspects they did not anticipate this when they cut the Championships field down to eight....

www.tennisone.com (http://www.tennisone.com) (Bob Larson's newsletter)

tennischick
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM
i dunno what is going on here but i too will follow up this story. something's afoot. i just love a good conspiracy. here's more craziness:

In terms of the record books, 2004 just keeps getting crazier. We have now played twelve Tier II events this year, and Serena is our eighth distinct winner (The full list: Bovina, Clijsters, Davenport, Henin-Hardenne, Kuznetsova, Myskina, Serena Williams, Venus Williams. It's also interesting to note that those eight winners come from only three different countries, and every country with one winner has at least two.)

Keeping track of winning streaks this year is getting extraordinarily complicated; we show nine streaks of ten or more matches this year, and four of them have footnotes (because they started in 2003, or were interrupted by a non-WTA match, or something). But Kuznetsova's fourteen straight wins ties her with Maria Sharapova for what is at least the sixth-best win streak this year, and arguably the third best (the two that are unquestionably better are Lindsay Davenport's 22 match string from Stanford to the U. S. Open and Justine Henin-Hardenne's 16 matches from Sydney to Doha).

Beijing has the curious distinction that seven of eight seeds held seed -- the highest rate at any WTA event this year. Only three other events (Sydney, Memphis, Warsaw) have seen as many as three seeds in four hold seed.

boggs570
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Yea, I wondered about that statement. Does anyone know what or who he's referring. Now I am really curious.

poldame
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:20 PM
boggs570,

this statement refer to the fact that the WTA add in september 2004 quality point (not based on WTA ranking, as usual, but based on seed) for
- Anastasia Myskina : 110 (sd4) - 86 (Rk9) = +24
(win over Venus Williams Rk9-Sd4 in Roland Garros - may 2004)
- Jennifer Capriati : 200 (sd1) - 86 (Rk7) = +114
(win over Serena Williams Rk7-Sd1 in Roland Garros - may 2004)
- Maria Sharapova : 200 (sd1) - 86 (Rk10) = +114
(win over Serena Williams Rk10-Sd1 in Roland Garros - june 2004)

the problems noticed here, are :
- this do not seems to be part of the official WTA rules for 2004
- this was done 3 to 4 months after the end of the tournement

In fact this rules seems to apply only to all the player who have won against one of the Williams sisters in 2004 (Lisa Raymond, Lindsay Davenport, ... had this "strange" increase in quality point).

this just look that changing the rules during the years without the acknowlegment of all the people involved (players, tournement, ...).
I am not sure this fare, and it seems this is based on doing every possible to help Jennifer Capriati and Maria Sharapova to reach the YEC.

Note that at the point added to Lindsay Davenport ranking (+105 in Los Angeles) could possibly change who will be number one at the end of the year...

Poldame

fammmmedspin
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:47 PM
isn't this the the problem we discussed in earlier threads aboutwhat quality points to give for beating Venus and Serena. They could give either QP for their actual or special rankings. We thought the rules meant actual ranking would be used. Then they used special rankings for some tournaments and actual for others to decide how many QP players beating a sister got. Now they have standardized on special ranking points and redone the totals for the players who beat Venus or serena and were only given QP based on actual ranking at the time. Its correcting a mess not something secret.......

fammmmedspin
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Thannks for the explanation but I am still not sure what this means:

They are no points next to V&S names:

this statement refer to the fact that the WTA add in september 2004 quality point (not based on WTA ranking, as usual, but based on seed) for
- Anastasia Myskina : 110 (sd4) - 86 (Rk9) = +24
(win over Venus Williams Rk9-Sd4 in Roland Garros - may 2004)- Jennifer Capriati : 200 (sd1) - 86 (Rk7) = +114
(win over Serena Williams Rk7-Sd1 in Roland Garros - may 2004)
- Maria Sharapova : 200 (sd1) - 86 (Rk10) = +114
(win over Serena Williams Rk10-Sd1 in Roland Garros - june 2004)

Could you explain a little bit more. What are they trying to do here keep V&S out of the YEC. :shrug:
to take example 2 Jen was given 86 points at the time for beating Serena who was actually ranked 9 at the FO and this has been amended to give her 200 points for beating Serena at her special ranking of 1.

its not a conspiracy against Serena and venus it just brings the tournaments all in line - they gave points for the special ranking before the FO so they are following the preceedent and changing the later tournaments in line with what they had already done before. its SNAFU rather than fix.

fammmmedspin
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Did this same thing happened when Lindsey was on leave? Did the players who beat her treated the same way...get extra points for defeating her?
They couldn't remember by the FO what they had done at the AO so I wouldn't put too many hopes on it that they did the same thing for Lindsay the last time this happened. Doubtless someone with records could tell us what they did before though.

"Oh woops we are doing it two different ways", " Which is right?" "Who knows" "What do I do then?" " Well take the first thing you did and make it so for the rest of the year..." "Is that the rule then?" " it is now." "Should we explain this?" "Nah, we would get the blame - just change it..."

poldame
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Law and order,
i do not mention V&S point because they loose those matchs and then QP (Quality Point) was given to the winner. But this do not change anything for the player who loose the match.

fammmmedspin
"Its correcting a mess not something secret". I disgree with you on this point.
- As far as i know the WTA do not explain those changes (this means this not a public change annouced in "news" or "press release"). In fact fans know that because they understand the WTA ranking and see the diffrence.
- take a look on the WTA rules (http://www.wtatour.com/thewtatour/officialrules/rules.pdf) nothing is said about changing QP based on special seed and not based on current ranking (rules pages 218, 221, 224 and 229)
--> page 224 : "Quality points are awarded according to the losing players’ ranking current at the time the Tournament is played."
--> page 229 :"Quality Points awarded for defeating a Special Ranking player will be based on that player's Actual Ranking, not on her Special Ranking."

I am not speaking that this change is or is not a good one. I am just speaking about the fact that this is a big issue to change the rules. I means it's just like not respecting a contract. This could add suspicion on the WTA ranking. And, for me this is BAD for WTA tennis, for Women players, ...

Poldame

Note: this special QP was not apply to the player who win against Sandrine Testud SS11. It was apply ONLY to player who win against V&S ....

esquímaux
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:18 AM
rankings shmankings let's just wait and see :angel: