PDA

View Full Version : She's Baaaaaaaaaaack!

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:45 AM
After winning in Bejing. Serena did two things:

1.) Put a dent in the 'Russian Invasion' campaign

2.) Re-Established herself as a force to be reckoned with.

Even with bad calls and a million unforced errors, Serena Williams beat the reigning US Open Champ in three dramatic sets (4-6 7-5 6-4). Many doubters were saying that she was washed up...well what now? Are Kuznetsova, Petrova, Zvonareva, and Safina (all top-15 quality players or higher) washed up too? It's been a long time since a Russian has not won a title where there were more than 3 seeds in the main draw (Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Zvonareva, Petrova). Serena has now won her 25th title, six months after winning her 24th, and FOURTEEN MONTHS after winning her 23rd. She has come back from consistent knee pains to beat some of the best in the game now. Those who choose to refute Serena's victory do two things:

1.) Make themselves look like ingorant asses

2.) Diminsh the quality of play exhibited by the other 31 players in the draw (inc. two Grand Slam champions...this year)

John MacEnroe said it at the US Open, "I believe that Serena will, before the end of the year, re-establish herself as the best in the game." She has just marked one knotch off of the belt. Look for her to do some damage at the Porche Grand Prix. She's hungry for more titles. She hungry for more wins, and she's hungry to be #1 in the world again! To all of those commentators who said that Serena would never win another title...HA! To all of those haters who said that Serena was finished...HA! This is just the beginnning...the beginning of a new chapter in domination! Serena has re-instilled the fear in the rest of the WTA.

Even at match-point down (TWICE), she was able to summon something inside of her to compell her to victory against one of the tour's hottest players!

I've said it since March, that Serena will need as much time back on the courts as she was off to get back to the level of consistency and confidence that she once had. Well it's been less that eight months. Her 'look' is back! I saw it a few times during that Kuznetsova match. She wants to win again, and whenever her will matches her extrordinary talent...look out!

Serena IS BACK!

*hingis_forever*
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:48 AM
After winning in Bejing. Serena did two things:

1.) Put a dent in the 'Russian Invasion' campaign

2.) Re-Established herself as a force to be reckoned with.

Even with bad calls and a million unforced errors, Serena Williams beat the reigning US Open Champ in three dramatic sets (4-6 7-5 6-4). Many doubters were saying that she was washed up...well what now? Are Kuznetsova, Petrova, Zvonareva, and Safina (all top-15 quality players or higher) washed up too? It's been a long time since a Russian has not won a title where there were more than 3 seeds in the main draw (Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Zvonareva, Petrova). Serena has now won her 25th title, six months after winning her 24th, and FOURTEEN MONTHS after winning her 23rd. She has come back from consistent knee pains to beat some of the best in the game now. Those who choose to refute Serena's victory do two things:

1.) Make themselves look like ingorant asses

2.) Diminsh the quality of play exhibited by the other 31 players in the draw (inc. two Grand Slam champions...this year)

John MacEnroe said it at the US Open, "I believe that Serena will, before the end of the year, re-establish herself as the best in the game." She has just marked one knotch off of the belt. Look for her to do some damage at the Porche Grand Prix. She's hungry for more titles. She hungry for more wins, and she's hungry to be #1 in the world again! To all of those commentators who said that Serena would never win another title...HA! To all of those haters who said that Serena was finished...HA! This is just the beginnning...the beginning of a new chapter in domination! Serena has re-instilled the fear in the rest of the WTA.

Even at match-point down (TWICE), she was able to summon something inside of her to compell her to victory against one of the tour's hottest players!

I've said it since March, that Serena will need as much time back on the courts as she was off to get back to the level of consistency and confidence that she once had. Well it's been less that eight months. Her 'look' is back! I saw it a few times during that Kuznetsova match. She wants to win again, and whenever her will matches her extrordinary talent...look out!

Serena IS BACK!
She was also "back" at Miami but we all know what happened since then. I'm not saying she's not back, but at least wait until she plays a BIG tier 1 or grand slam and wins!

GoDominique
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Lots of errors, but it's understandable. You are excited. :)

Lady
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:51 AM
There was only 1 match point! :p

Anna F'd Enrique
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:52 AM
we'll see......

switz
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:06 AM
i'm am very happy for serena and hope/believe she will come back but at the same time i don't think this tournament win can be considered proof that everyone was wrong.

there was never any doubt that serena could still beat anyone - she is still the best player the world - the question is whether she can control her errors well enough to win 7 matches in a row.

she was a point away from losing 6-4, 6-4 as well, and although i admire her fight a lot, you gotta remember that things could be very different now and all the haters would be out in force. this was far from vintage serena

switz
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:16 AM
But Switz errors are nothing new to serena's game why all the focus on her errors now. She won six slams making those errors and she won a tournament today with all those errors also so what's the big deal?

i would say the difference is she is making errors on big points these day - take capriati matches from RG and US Open and Sharapova from Wimbledon. Serena has always made errors but she also used to almost always win the big points. i don't know if the level of the game has increased or what, but all i know is that in the last three slams serena has lost to opponents who didn't do anything amazing to beat her and just hasn't looked like she knows how to control her game like she used to. I have little doubt she can rectify the problem if she commits herself fully and wins like this are definitely a good place to start. i'm basically just saying though (and i think you said something similar above) don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Knizzle
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:18 AM
I think we'll need to wait till next tourney to declare her back. If she was "back" ully this tourney she would have beaten Kuzzie in 2 sets.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:52 AM
She's almost there. It'll be real fun when she's completely back.

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Yes, because winning a Tier II means you are back to dominating the tour. :yeah:

pav
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:20 AM
How can anyone Choose to refute someone's victory when they have won?

It is more like some people are trying to turn tennis into world war three!
I think when any player saves a couple of match pointsand goes on to win there has to be an element of luck and a few sighs of relief along with the skill and experience of the winning player

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:21 AM
That's what Kim did ALL last season....and Tier IIIs! WHOA BLOODY GOOD SHOW! @ Least Serena's won a Grand Slam...6 TIMES! Don't go there!

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:49 AM
i'm am very happy for serena and hope/believe she will come back but at the same time i don't think this tournament win can be considered proof that everyone was wrong.

there was never any doubt that serena could still beat anyone - she is still the best player the world - the question is whether she can control her errors well enough to win 7 matches in a row.

she was a point away from losing 6-4, 6-4 as well, and although i admire her fight a lot, you gotta remember that things could be very different now and all the haters would be out in force. this was far from vintage serena

:worship: So very true. Serena has to control her errors and especially the times when they come up. This tournament was nice for Serena to win. If she didn't, we'd be hearing she's over, but she won and I'm happy but I'll wait to say she's back until I see her winning slams and non slam events alike with good consistency.

esquímaux
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:32 AM
How can anyone Choose to refute someone's victory when they have won?

It is more like some people are trying to turn tennis into world war three!
I think when any player saves a couple of match pointsand goes on to win there has to be an element of luck and a few sighs of relief along with the skill and experience of the winning player
Yeah! :D I was a bit :o that my lil buttercup Kuzzie lost, but I think Serena could use the extra confidence in doing the insurmountable on the tour atm (taking out FOUR Russians to win a title http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/11.gif). That to me is an accomplishment in itself, no? :D

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Congrats to Serena...but did anyone else notice that Serna suffered a US Open moment. @ 4-2 in the third set (around 1:55 in the match), Serena won the first two points, but was not awards the second point by the umpire. She did not notice nor anyone else for that matter. I went back and watched that game again to make sure I was seeing what my mind was telling me I was. I just wonder how often this happens and we just don't notice. :)

switz
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:15 AM
I guess when one is trying to pull their game back together after being injured for almost a year we have to expect things like this to happened. As I said before look a justine do you think she's playing like she did earlier on in the year? Lets see how kim is going to perform upon her return. Serena is only just getting her game together and people expect her to get back on the court and perform like she never left. The same thing happened to Davenport upon her return also she only just started winning tournaments but when she first came back she was being beaten by players she would normally beat. I wish folks would stop with their double standards when it comes to the sisters.

i hope that double standards comment wasn't directed at me because i've never said anything negative about serena besides that she isn't playing at her peak. i'm sure if henin underperforms at 3 straight slams people (mostly williams fans i have to say) will start saying the same things.

i fully understand how difficult it can be coming back from injury, chanda is my favourite player for godsake. people are inevitably going to ask questions though when someone as good as serena doesn't keep winning. you can't really deny that was has looked lost in all here loses in the slams this year.

i completely believe she will get back to the top if that is what she wants though. she is too good not to.

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
All I say is that this match could be a major turning point.....it is an improvement....she FINALLY fought in a final...it wasn´t pretty all times, but she finally showed she still can win key points. Sometimes just ONE match can mean everything to a player in the mental toughness department. I don´t say she´s back back, but this could well mark the beginning of her comeback.

Just a tier II, people say huh?! Yeah....for Serena that´s low...in fact that´s the lowest she goes. Now I wanna see the reactions when you know who wins a tier IV this week after nothing but early round losses since her breakthrough.

Think people are gonna remember that it is "just" a tier IV?!

SerenaSlam
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
this is my opinion, i don't think serena is officially back, but is getting closer. to play the way she did and win in 3 sets is only good news for serena, and she knows this, she could play at least 10 times better than she did today, and Svetlana played remarkable tennis. so you could just imagine what the scoreline would be like had serena played better.

give her time. i still think she will win the tour champs etc, but she won't be at top for till mid way through to the australian open. :eek:

alfajeffster
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Now if I could only get the tennis channel and see some of these matches. DirectTV, are you listening?!?!?

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
this is my opinion, i don't think serena is officially back, but is getting closer. to play the way she did and win in 3 sets is only good news for serena, and she knows this, she could play at least 10 times better than she did today, and Svetlana played remarkable tennis. so you could just imagine what the scoreline would be like had serena played better.

give her time. i still think she will win the tour champs etc, but she won't be at top for till mid way through to the australian open. :eek:

Word!

GoDominique
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Sveta didn't play very well either.

SerenaSlam
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:58 PM
by the comments Svetlana made, she did play very well, just not "fit" enough when it came down to that third set.

interestng how fans can argue somthing about a player, even though the actual player states otherwise :rolleyes:

but this is all besides the point. :rolleyes:

silverwhite
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I agree with switz. Her win is a good sign but she needs to put in more effort to get back to her best.

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM

then it´s good no...neither played well, so looking up to a future meeting.

cheo23
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Well Svetlana WAs Very Tired after PLayin the US OPen, Bali, then in CHina..She did have a MAtch POINT..if she was MOre REsted..she would have easily won that Match in 2 SETS..OH WEll..C'est LA VIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brαm
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:00 PM
That's what Kim did ALL last season....and Tier IIIs! WHOA BLOODY GOOD SHOW! @ Least Serena's won a Grand Slam...6 TIMES! Don't go there!
Don't live in the past. :wavey:

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Well Svetlana WAs Very Tired after PLayin the US OPen, Bali, then in CHina..She did have a MAtch POINT..if she was MOre REsted..she would have easily won that Match in 2 SETS..OH WEll..C'est LA VIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she COULD, but she didn´t...

SerenaSlam
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:30 PM
she could have won in 1 set, and watched serena retire, but she didi't, she could have won in 0 sets by a walkover from serena but she didn't. she "could" have won the whole damn thing, but she didn't :eek:

its funnie to read all these arguments that are always "Serena related" anything to take away from the sisters, than to add positives to them. if they win a slam, they still get talked about by other fans, but praised by the media. that is why i know basically everything that is said in her pertaining to the sisters by the majority, is fake and just those trying to put up an arugment for no reason :rolleyes:

Elldee
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I don't dispute that she played well and she's in good form, I never doubted she win many more titles but I don't think she's at the stage where she strikes fear into the heart of the other WTA players like she used to. She will do well in the next few tournements, but it won't be a walk in the park.

jenny161185
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:33 PM
why bring Kim or Sharapova into this, ppl r always looking to bash , well done Serena !

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Like errors is something new to Serena. That is her game why do you have to bring that up.
Because GoDominque is a miserable person.

bmxbandit
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM
There was only 1 match point! :p
She saved 2 MPs :p

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM
She's almost there. It'll be real fun when she's completely back.
I agree. This a step in the right direction. At least she's not going backward. A win is a win, UFE's and all. It's a matter of taking control and having confidence. That US Open QF didn't do anything to bolster her confidence and I'm so proud that she could come back after a devasting loss like that and Wimby to take out four Russians in a row. Go Rena!!!

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I guess when one is trying to pull their game back together after being injured for almost a year we have to expect things like this to happened. As I said before look a justine do you think she's playing like she did earlier on in the year? Lets see how kim is going to perform upon her return. Serena is only just getting her game together and people expect her to get back on the court and perform like she never left. The same thing happened to Davenport upon her return also she only just started winning tournaments but when she first came back she was being beaten by players she would normally beat. I wish folks would stop with their double standards when it comes to the sisters.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

darrinbaker00
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I would have preferred a double-bagel, of course, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers..... ;)

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Congrats to Serena...but did anyone else notice that Serna suffered a US Open moment. @ 4-2 in the third set (around 1:55 in the match), Serena won the first two points, but was not awards the second point by the umpire. She did not notice nor anyone else for that matter. I went back and watched that game again to make sure I was seeing what my mind was telling me I was. I just wonder how often this happens and we just don't notice. :)
What network was the tournament shown on?

darrinbaker00
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:51 PM
What network was the tournament shown on?
The Tennis Channel had it here in the States, boo.

pisces
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
A win is a win?

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM
I don't dispute that she played well and she's in good form, I never doubted she win many more titles but I don't think she's at the stage where she strikes fear into the heart of the other WTA players like she used to. She will do well in the next few tournements, but it won't be a walk in the park.
Why does she have to strike fear in her opponents? Why is that so important now all of a sudden? When she and Venus did strike fear in their opponents, that's the reason haters and non-fans gave for their domination, i.e. they won half the battle by just walking onto the court. I'd rather Serena and Venus strike fear in the ball and that way, if they win, I know they won by both competitors giving it all they had without any intimidation. That's when I will know that they are really back.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM
The Tennis Channel had it here in the States, boo.
Oh really?? Damn, I missed it. When did it come on?

darrinbaker00
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Oh really?? Damn, I missed it. When did it come on?
Yesterday at noon your time.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Yesterday at noon your time.
Oh well. :sad:

darrinbaker00
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Why does she have to strike fear in her opponents? Why is that so important now all of a sudden? When she and Venus did strike fear in their opponents, that's the reason haters and non-fans gave for their domination, i.e. they won half the battle by just walking onto the court. I'd rather Serena and Venus strike fear in the ball and that way, if they win, I know they won by both competitors giving it all they had without any intimidation. That's when I will know that they are really back.
About Serena's intimidation factor: she didn't get it by being bigger and stronger than everyone else (Look at those biceps! :eek: ), she got it by beating the skirt off of whomever was on the other side of the net. WHEN, not if, she and Venus dominate the WTA Tour again, the psychological edge will reappear. ;)

Elldee
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM

I'm not saying it is particularly important, I was responding to the first post.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:42 PM
TC has the China Open Final again @8pm EST Monday.

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks bunches RT. :kiss:

DeDe4925
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:44 PM
That's tonight, not next Monday, correct??!! I'm at work and can't check the schedule.

bandabou
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:56 PM
what´s grand slam saying?! so to the rest of the tour it doesn´t matter if they have to meet Anniko Kapros in r2 or Serena?! Hmmm....interesting. Means, Serena still has a loooooottt of work to do.