PDA

View Full Version : March Madness - College Basketball

GogoGirl
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:43 PM
I'm picking Duke or Kansas to win it all on the men's side (though I live near Maryland and am pulling for the Terps) - and Tennesee or Conneticut on the womens.

"What did Tennesee?" "The same thing Arkansaw."
"What did Deleware?" "A brand New Jersey."

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Like....gag me with a rocket ship! DUKE?!!?!?

I'm a Clemson man myself....but alas, they suck this year.

I would love to see Maryland or any team that is not #1 (and not Wake Forest) to win :)

Martian KC
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Pffff@Duke!:rolleyes:

I WAS rooting for Miami, but they lost today!:rolleyes:

Gooo UCLA and Maryland!!!!

ptkten
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Hopefully UConn and Pitt do well...I think Duke's going to win it all.

Hurley
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:18 AM
UMD! UMD! UMD! :D

Go Terps!

Can't believe Gonzaga lost...now I have to fight from behind in the pool. :(

But I did nail Tulsa and Kent St. :D Pepperdine cost me, though. :(

timmbo
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:18 AM
What about the Holy Cross and Kansas game? I was so hoping HG would win.

Of course you know im rooting for Kentucky, but I think that either Maryland or Duke will win it.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:43 PM
OMG@all the gay guys talking about basketball! ;)

Tim, I was SO hoping for Holy Cross too....but alas, twas not meant to be.

GO MARYLAND and not Duke and not Wake Forest

Martian KC
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:43 PM
OMG! UCLA has to face Cincinatti if they win their first round! PFFF! What bad luck of the draw!:mad:

Barrie_Dude
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Duke University Blue Devils!

I mean, after all, they are from North Carolina!

timmbo
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:16 PM
:wavey: Josh, well I played basketball and tennis in school, so Im kinda partial to them both.

I also cant believe that USC lost and for some reason I think that UCLA will upset Cincinnati.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:40 PM
:kiss: Tim

While watching the matches, I generally pull for the underdog. Clemson U has sucked the past 2-3 years, so I have really lost contact with the NCAA "scene". Back when they (and Maryland and South Carolina) were top 10, I was all about everything! ;)

timmbo
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Josh, I bet u were so glad to see South Carolina upset my Cats last weekend? I was so heart broken. I tell ya, basketball is everything here. During tourny time, the campus is so kickin

Martian KC
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:53 PM
1st Round
1 Maryland 85:D
16 Siena 70

8 Wisconsin 80:(
9 St Johns 70

5 Marquette 69
12 Tulsa 71:eek:

4 Kentucky 83:D
13 Valparaiso 68

6 Texas Tech 68:p@Bobby Knight
11 Southern Ill 76

3 Georgia 85
14 Murray St 68

7 No Carolina St 69:(
10 Michigan St 58

2 Connecticut 78:)
15 Hampton 67

1 Kansas 70:)
16 Holy Cross 59

8 Stanford 84:rolleyes:
9 Western Ky 68

5 Florida 82
12 Creighton 83:mad::mad:

4 Illinois 93
13 San Diego St 64

6 Texas 70
11 Boston College 57

3 Mississippi St 70
14 Mcneese St 58

7 Wake Forest 83:p@Josh!
10 Pepperdine 74

2 Oregon 81
15 Montana 62

1 Duke 84:rolleyes:
16 Winthrop 37

8 Notre Dame 82:rolleyes:
9 Charlotte 63

5 Indiana 75
12 Utah 56

4 USC 89
13 NC Wilmington 93:eek::mad:

6 California 82:)
11 Pennsylvania 75

3 Pittsburgh 71
14 Central Conn St 54

7 Oklahoma St 61
10 Kent St 69:eek:

2 Alabama 86:bounce:
15 Fla Atlantic 78

1 Cincinnati 90:)
16 Boston U 52

8 UCLA 80 :bounce::bounce::bounce:
9 Mississippi 58

5 Miami Fla 80
12 Missouri 93:fiery::fiery::fiery:

4 Ohio St 69
13 Davidson 64

6 Gonzaga 66
11 Wyoming 73:eek:

3 Arizona 86:)
14 UCSB 81

7 Xavier 70:)
10 Hawaii 58:(

2 Oklahoma 71
15 Illinois Chi 63

Kuilli
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Conzaga :sad: :sad: :sad:

Go Pac 10 teams: Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona, Cal!!! :D :D

GogoGirl
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:58 PM
"COME ON - TERPS" "SHOW US ALL WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF"

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:12 AM
UCLA playing right now!:bounce: Gooo U-C-L-A!!!!!!

TammysBigSis
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:36 AM
Steve Lavin better keep his underclassmen on the floor! They are playing SO much better than the starting 5!!!!!!

Go, B R U I N S!!!!!!!!

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:04 AM
And of course right when UCLA is playing well, they turn to Murray State:confused: and Georgia:confused:!:rolleyes:

Kuilli
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:34 AM
UCLA and Cal won! :D :D

Women:
Oregon State and Washington won yesterday in NIT!!! :D :D
Go Huskies!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Mitch01
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:34 AM
I can't believe the Zag's lost so early...:sad: :mad:

TammysBigSis
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Maybe it wasn't so bad that the Bruins crashed out of the Pac-10 tournament early--look what happened to the Trojans! But still, the Pac-10 teams are 5-1 after the first round!

Hope the Bruins shake Cincy up on Sunday! Go UCLA!!!!!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:39 PM
:mad: at KC for Wake Forest winning ;)

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Hehe....at least Wake Forest will lose to Oregon.;)

2nd Round
1 Maryland 38:bounce:
8 Wisconsin 30

12 Tulsa 82
4 Kentucky 87:D

11 Southern Ill 35
3 Georgia 38

7 No Carolina St 74
2 Connecticut 77:D

1 Kansas 86:)
8 Stanford 63:p

12 Creighton 60
4 Illinois 72

6 Texas 68
3 Mississippi St 64

7 Wake Forest 87
2 Oregon 92

1 Duke 84:rolleyes::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:
8 Notre Dame 77

5 Indiana 76
13 NC Wilmington 67

6 California 50
3 Pittsburgh 63:mad:

10 Kent St 71:fiery::fiery::fiery:
2. Alabama 58

1 Cincinnati101:D
8. UCLA 105:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

12 Missouri 83
4 Ohio St 67

11 Wyoming 60
3 Arizona 68:)

7 Xavier:)
2 Oklahoma

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I really like Notre Dame!!!!:eek: :eek: :o :o Humphries is awesome!! I hope they get rid of duke!!!

angele87
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:16 PM
I am a HUGE Duke fan!! GO DUKE!! Although right now they aren't looking so good :sad: ... i hope they pull it out against the Irish!

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Well it looks like it's over! Notre Dame had soo many chances~:(

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Too bad for Notre Dame...agreed, they had so many chances.

Still, it was a great game!

Duke is a vastly overrated squad, but they have a relatively easy draw, and should they make it to the Final Four (they will), they may by then have played their way into form.

I wouldn't bet on Duke, though.

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Alabama can definitely stop them! They are the hottest team right now.

AjdeNate!
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:30 PM
I was at the United Center in Chicago yesterday and saw:

Creighton d. Florida 83.82 in 2 OT
Illinois d. San Diego State in romp
Southern Illinois d. Texas Tech
Georgia d. Murray State

My impressions:
Even tho I live in Illinois, I don't like the U of I - but they were very very impressive yesterday.

Creighton didn't play great, but hung in just long enough to let Florida collapse.

SIU took it to Tx Tch and Boob Knight. I hate him.

Murray State was up big in the 1st half, but died in the 2nd half.

I'm seeing
Creighton v. Illinois
SIU v. Georgia
tomorrow! :) Yay me!

GogoGirl
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:33 PM
I - so thought, ND was going to pull it out. I turned the TV back to the game - right when the buzzer went off.

I am watching Tiger Woods & all play golf, Sampras & Hewitt play tennis, and I'm turning it to the b-game all at the same time. Decisions - decisions.

Btw - what was I thinking picking Rios in tennis? Petey boy - seems to be playing out of this world at this tourney - and of course, Hewitt is an excellent player - so who knows w/this one.

"COME ON MARYLAND" "KEEP THE PRESSURE ON" "IT'S ALL ABOUT D-FENSE"

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Mmmmm....I dunno, I think Pitt could give Bama a run. But I hope someone takes out Duke nice and early, I don't want them rolling.

They seem like a very whiny, sour bunch of kids, too. I usually don't dislike the actual boys, but this squad seems to feel that the national championship is their divine right.

I also didn't like the "Duke calls" coming down the stretch, but what else is new. :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Hurley
Mmmmm....I dunno, I think Pitt could give Bama a run. But I hope someone takes out Duke nice and early, I don't want them rolling.

They seem like a very whiny, sour bunch of kids, too. I usually don't dislike the actual boys, but this squad seems to feel that the national championship is their divine right.

I also didn't like the "Duke calls" coming down the stretch, but what else is new. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with your post! First off, I couldn't believe how many calls Duke got last year throughout the whole tournament, not to mention the match against Maryland! My mom(big Duke fan) told me I was just being paranoid!:rolleyes: :p I seriously think the referees cheat for them.lol

And those little things that Duke does like boozer running into Humphries or Dunleavy falling into Humphries, just pisses me off! They are the Utah Jazz of college basketball!

Pitt might challenge Alabama, but I doubt they would upset them!

Hurley
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM
You're right...there is a 0% chance that Pitt will beat Alabama. :D

Okay Pitt! Here is your chance to make up for losing the Big East tournament!!

Martian KC
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:01 AM
OMG! I am totally shocked! I never would've expected KENT STATE to beat Alabama!:rolleyes:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHHA@Alabama and Wake Forest...

Too bad Notre Dame couldn't finish of Duke

by the way - GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!!!!! :)

angele87
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by GogoGirl

I am watching Tiger Woods & all play golf, Sampras & Hewitt play tennis, and I'm turning it to the b-game all at the same time. Decisions - decisions.

Seems like you did the exact same thing as me today... except I had to follow Lleyton vs. Pete on the net cuz my sports network doesn't cover Indian Wells :fiery: :fiery: except the final!

Martian KC
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Looks like Duke will head into the final four with no problem now!:rolleyes:

Martian KC
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:42 PM
U-C-L-A!!!!!!! Whaaaaahoooooooooooooo!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GogoGirl
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Maryland is playing Wisconsin now. The Terps are winning 38 - 30.

Come on - Terps. Let's roll!

Chris
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:25 PM
For once I agree with KC!:rolleyes: ;)

GO UCLA!!! Because of my countrymen Dan Gadzuric, 26P 13R, not bad, huh!!??:bounce:

AjdeNate!
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Watch out for the Salukis of Southern Illinois! :)

GogoGirl
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:35 PM
I do declare! UConn is giving UTenn a royal spanking. This women's game is on now on ESPN.

Martian KC
Mar 18th, 2002, 07:43 PM
CHRIS! You should've seen Gadzuric play! He may not be the most talented guy or the most technical player, but he has so much heart and determination! I was happy he had such a great game!

Chris
Mar 19th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Wow, thats great to hear!
He is a senior and pretty good so he should make it to the NBA next year.
Then I will get to see him play I guess, like the big men Rik Smits some years ago.

Martian KC
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:59 PM
UCLA upsets top seed Cincinnati in 2 OTs
By Christina Teller Daily Bruin

(U-WIRE) PITTSBURGH -- The UCLA Bruins never stopped chugging along. Not when Cincinnati stretched its lead to seven for the umpteenth time. Not when Jason Kapono was whistled for his fourth foul with 11:45 left in the second half. And certainly not when Cedric Bozeman crumpled to the floor with 2:30 to go in the second overtime. The scrappy eighth-seeded Bruins (21-11) fought to a 105-101 double-overtime victory over No. 1-seeded Cincinnati (31-3) in front of a nearly full house at Mellon Arena.

"It was just a great college basketball game," UCLA head coach Steve Lavin said. "The situation where you hate to see either of these teams lose."

The Bruins' engine was fueled by confidence, and their heads never hung thanks to their ace-bandaged and sidelined senior leader Rico Hines. "Rico was yelling through the whole game," Dijon Thompson said. "He said, 'This isn't the way we want to go out.'"

Sunday's game had UCLA written all over it. It was the standard David vs. Goliath showdown, and the Bruins couldn't wait to get their paws all over it.

"We knew coming into the game that we were supposed to win," Thompson said. "We know we're a better team. We know we have a lot of talent. They have some good players, but we knew we could win this game."

The game itself was a microcosm of the Bruins' season, They played the first half without much spark, falling behind by as many as 13, and then slowly but surely found a way out of the hole to emerge as giant-killers.

With the Bruin defense over-aggressively defending Conference USA Player of the Year Steve Logan in the first half, the seams opened up allowing the Bearcats to take over the paint. Cincinnati dominated the glass in the first half, and made the contest look a like a volleyball game, taking advantage of 13 offensive rebounds for 17 points. But the Bruins wouldn't give in.

"At halftime, I told the guys to fight back. We weren't going to go out like that," Hines said. "Dan did that. He went down low and showed he's the best center in the country."

Dan Gadzuric had a clear advantage inside in the first half, going for 16 points and six rebounds in the first period. He further exploited his size and stature for 10 more points and seven rebounds in the final 30 minutes of play.

"Dan just played like a monster," Kapono said. "He was a dinosaur out there. He played extremely well."

UCLA took two steps forward and one back for the first 11 minutes of the first half and couldn't seem to avoid the return of a six-point deficit. But with 8:49 left in regulation, Matt Barnes took matters into his own hands, hitting two three-pointers in a span of 15 seconds and bringing the Bruins to within three at 65-62. UCLA had been knocking on Cincinnati's door through the whole game, and finally Cincinnati couldn't restrain the Bruins anymore.

UCLA took its first lead since the beginning of the game thanks to Kapono's six points in back to back possessions, the second trio coming in a three-point play with 4:22 on the clock, putting UCLA ahead at 74-73. The second half ended in an 80-80 tie, sending the game into overtime number one. Cincinnati won the game's second-half tip-off, but on their first possession, Gadzuric blocked a lay-up attempt, resulting in a jump ball and a UCLA possession. The Bruins won the opening tip in the second overtime, and by that time it was clear that Mr. Mo Mentum had changed jerseys. The Bruins went on a 7-4 run to open the second overtime, capped by Knight's bucket and a foul with 1:27 to go.

"Dan tipped it, and it came right to me, "Knight said. "I thought the refs weren't going to call it so I went up strong. We've been in games like this before. We fought back and believed in ourselves."

The Bruin bench and a season-low nine turnovers were the game-winning intangibles.

"I think (UCLA's bench) did make a difference, especially since we went into double overtime," Cincinnati head coach Bob Huggins said. "In the second overtime, we got a little tired -- we don't have enough people."

Bozeman and Dijon Thompson played with a confident swagger Sunday. Bozeman was unafraid to drive through traffic, finishing with eight points, while Thompson found his groove with mid-range jumpers and totaled 10 points on the night. Barnes (17), Gadzuric (26), Knight (12) and Kapono (19) joined Thompson in double figures. Gadzuric's 26 was a season high.

NOTES: The Bruins advance to their fifth Sweet 16 in six years and will face Missouri on Thursday in San Jose. Lavin and Duke head coach Mike Kryzewski are the only active head coaches to accomplish this feat... Hines, who left the game late in the first half, suffered a strained left knee and will get an MRI on Monday... Bozeman tweaked his ankle in Sunday's game but is definite for Thursday's game... Lavin is 10-2 in overtime in his career... Sunday's game was the first double overtime tournament game for the Bruins since 1974, Bill Walton's senior year.

Chris
Mar 19th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Wow Thanks KC!
Hope they will beat Missouri and get to the Elite Eight!

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:42 AM
I knew this Duke squad was weak, but never did I expect to come back from "Will and Grace" to THIS after the start of this game.

How hilarious would this be, to have Duke OUT and Indiana minus Bobby Knight IN! :D

GO HOOSIERS!!!!

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:44 AM
72-70 Indiana....15.3 seconds left...

Possession arrow: UI

9 on the shot clock....

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:51 AM
YES!

YEAHHHHHH :D

Bye bye Kryzsewski, you latent fool :D

Bye bye Dunleavy, you whiny punk :D

Bye bye Boozer, you moronic thug :D

Bye bye Duke :D

Bye bye :wavey:

And to think they ALMOST won again...I nearly went postal :D

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:01 AM
Whooooohoooooooooo. Bye bye Blue Devils...:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :kiss:

Go Hoosiers...:hearts:

Win the whole damn thing Maryland...:kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hearts:

Martian KC
Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:02 AM
LMAO! I felt bad because I had to laugh at my mother.:p

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:22 AM
Oh no...Pitt! Win this game! :( :( :(

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:27 AM
Come onnnnnnnnnn miracle....

Come on come on come on come on come on come on come on come on come on dammit :(

Miss this one, come on come on come on come on FUCK :(

Bugger, they lost :sad:

Chris
Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:23 AM
LOL@KC!

Damn UCLA lost!:(

Martian KC
Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:48 PM
OMG! I could not sleep last night! What a horrible last 4 minutes of the game!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: They were up by 7!! What the hell happened?!?!?!:rolleyes:

GogoGirl
Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:32 PM
I felt sorry for the player that missed the free throw that could have tied the game for Duke. I guess tough luck - did them in, but Indy could have said the same if they had lost. Tough break - for real for Duke.

"OTHERWISE, COME ON - MARYLAND TERPS" "LET'S GO - TO THE FINAL 4 - SO YOU CAN PUT ON A SHOW" "SHOW EVERYBODY WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF TERPS"