PDA

View Full Version : Joan of Arcadia...

treiber04
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I didn't like this show in the beginning but now I do, I'm definetely not a religious person and it's definetely not all jesus-this, jesus-that...who else watches it?

martirogi
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM
that is my favorite show, but i missed the season premiere last night :fiery:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I definitely watch it every friday night :)

Evelyn Tremble
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Funnily enough Iíve been telling myself to watch this show for a while now although I have not got around to doing so yet. I watched around 5 minutes of an episode the other day then I had to go on an errand. The show seems to be an interesting concept. Right! Thatís it! Next time it's on I'm a watchin.

tazban1
Sep 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM
This is also one of my favorite show. It's weird how this show manages to appeal to a lot of people who aren't necessarily religious. My other favorites out of the current crop of shows are Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle, Arrested Development, and Father of the Pride so Joan of Arcadia kind of sticks out in my list.

tazban1
Sep 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
btw, does anyone know why Adam calls Joan "Jane"? For a while I thought I was just mis-hearing, but he's definitely called her "Jane" several times.

martirogi
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:15 PM
y do they always put the good shows on friday when you rnt home to watch them

KoOlMaNsEaN
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM
adam just forgot her name or something. it's always been like that. and she never corrects him :p

Hulet
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:15 AM
I watched most of the first season episodes and was very interested on it. I thought the show wasn't that religious despite the appearance of visions of God to Joan because you can always reason those appearances are just hallucinations. But, on the second season opener, seeing previously lesbian classmate of Joan making out with Joan's brother triggered all the wrong alarms in my head - are they implying that being gay is just a phase thing and reversible? Unless of course she is bi, but there is no mention of this on the first season - she wasn't interested in boys. So, I am confused and suspicious about that.

darren cahill
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I watched most of the first season episodes and was very interested on it. I thought the show wasn't that religious despite the appearance of visions of God to Joan because you can always reason those appearances are just hallucinations. But, on the second season opener, seeing previously lesbian classmate of Joan making out with Joan's brother triggered all the wrong alarms in my head - are they implying that being gay is just a phase thing and reversible? Unless of course she is bi, but there is no mention of this on the first season - she wasn't interested in boys. So, I am confused and suspicious about that.
No one EVER said Grace was a lesbian...it was implied because of her appearance which was another metaphor for things on that show that things arent always as they seem....she was supposed to be a cliche like of course shes a dyke, look how she acts/dresses etc...but she never was or is a lesbian....that was very important in the show as was how Adam was always thought of as a druggie and he came out saying he never did drugs, just acted that way to throw people off...

the show is one of my faves though...love it...the Jane thing is just a quirky thing Adam does, and she did try to correct him one time though but then when he stopped doing it, she became upset and he started doing it once they were 'back together'

Hulet
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:13 AM
No one EVER said Grace was a lesbian...it was implied because of her appearance which was another metaphor for things on that show that things arent always as they seem....she was supposed to be a cliche like of course shes a dyke, look how she acts/dresses etc...but she never was or is a lesbian....that was very important in the show as was how Adam was always thought of as a druggie and he came out saying he never did drugs, just acted that way to throw people off...

That's an interesting way of looking at it. But, even if I can accept that she was never characterised as a lesbian before, I think her making out with the geekest dude in her class and possibly falling in love with him so out of character that it almost borders unbelievablity. In fact, I think I will find it more believable if they suddenly made the elder brother to start walking again because they kind of foreshadowed it by hinting that his injuries might not be as irreversible as we might think. So, even if it so unbelievable, it is not that far out of the story that he can walk again. But, I find it jarring that the "possibly" lesbian girl is kissing the bookish brother because it just came out of the blue. In fact, I was expecting her to punch his face any moment in one of those uncomfortable scenes. :)

darren cahill
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:45 AM
That's an interesting way of looking at it. But, even if I can accept that she was never characterised as a lesbian before, I think her making out with the geekest dude in her class and possibly falling in love with him so out of character that it almost borders unbelievablity. In fact, I think I will find it more believable if they suddenly made the elder brother to start walking again because they kind of foreshadowed it by hinting that his injuries might not be as irreversible as we might think. So, even if it so unbelievable, it is not that far out of the story that he can walk again. But, I find it jarring that the "possibly" lesbian girl is kissing the bookish brother because it just came out of the blue. In fact, I was expecting her to punch his face any moment in one of those uncomfortable scenes. :)
did you see ANY of last season? the tension between Grace and Joans brother was there the whole season...the lesbian twist that you seem so hung up on was only brought up by the juvenile friend of Joans brother...he always is cracking on her like any high school punk would do to anyone 'different'---I knew plenty of people like Grace in high school and none of them were lesbians. You are reading WAY too much into a show that is pretty much built around cliches....nothing is what it seems, opposites attract...etc....i dont find anything odd about the pairing of those two, plus its supposed to be the 'comic relief' of the show.....dont let it annoy you, its only a tv show

martirogi
Sep 26th, 2004, 04:39 AM
this show teaches such good lessons and not in a preachy way, can it be any better

Sally Struthers
Sep 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM
This show is so unrealistic. If you thought you were channeling god or whatever it is she's doing you'd be diagnosed as a schizophrenic and locked up with a 24 hour thorazine drip faster that I can say International Correspondance School. :o