PDA

View Full Version : Mary's season end ranking

Andy.
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM
What do you guys think Mary's season end ranking will be. I think if she keeps up her good form and has strong performances i think she can finish aroung the 17 to 20 mark in the rankings.

mamno_MARYFAN
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah...good chance of Mary to do that...maybe even higher...top 15, perhaps...:angel:

This would definitely make Mary the comeback player of the year!!!!:angel:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

remyremy
Sep 26th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I can just say that the WTA system of ranking is quite stupid : Mauresmo #1 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and even if Mary reached 4th round in the us open she won only 3 places (29 to 26, and she is now the 3rd french player, after Dechy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). For when can we hope a serious WTA ranking ??? :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

ali
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Mary just doesn't seem to be able to make a big jump up the rankings at the moment, even after some good wins. I think there's quite a big gap between the lower 20s that Mary is in and those above 25.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with regard to the Fed Cup. Guy usually choses his players by the rankings and Dechy is number 2 right now, with Tati Golovin getting closer to Mary all the time. I wonder if she'll be picked to play the second singles match if she's French number 3??

guycan
Sep 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM
remyremy, you're absolutely right about the WTA Ranking system. Mary's performances have been great, but she hasn't been rewarded very justly. Although I like Mauresmo, I don't think she deserves #1 right now. If anyone that deserves it, I think it should go to Lindsay Davenport. Her summer run should have rewarded her a bit better. She played more than Momo and was close to her in the rankings, yet Momo is ahead.

I believe the WTA Tour said they're going to a new ranking system to avoid this next year. Hopefully, this will better improve the rankings and reward the players who do better.

As a side, the Fed Cup team should include Momo, Mary, and have Dechy/Testud in doubles. Testud, while she hasn't done well in singles, has done remarkably well in doubles this year and deserves that spot. Dechy hasn't been doing very well in singles this year (besides that one appearance in the finals of a tournament pre-US Open-can't remember which one).

remyremy
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM
By the way, another point is absolutly stupid about this ranking system : a top ten player plays her first serious match in 1/4 final of a big tournament (For exemple Mauresmo at the us open). Of course it becomes really easier to be #1 this way. She has to win only one serious match to win a lot of points. Because of that, player ranked like Mary have impossible draws to play (remember the olympics games and the us open : petrova, williams, sharapova , kuznetsova and henin to beat to reach the final :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). Here again, it's not serious. Mauresmo is only an exemple, but if she had to play Mary's draws last weeks, she never become #1, sorry.

aimee20
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
By the way, another point is absolutly stupid about this ranking system : a top ten player plays her first serious match in 1/4 final of a big tournament (For exemple Mauresmo at the us open). Of course it becomes really easier to be #1 this way. She has to win only one serious match to win a lot of points. Because of that, player ranked like Mary have impossible draws to play (remember the olympics games and the us open : petrova, williams, sharapova , kuznetsova and henin to beat to reach the final :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). Here again, it's not serious. Mauresmo is only an exemple, but if she had to play Mary's draws last weeks, she never become #1, sorry.

that's so true :rolleyes:

ali
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I think that's a good point but then again, I guess one of the advantages you get for being a top ranked player is that you're seeded to avoid the big names until the later stages of tournaments. It maybe wouldn't be fair for the number 1 player to have to face top seeded players in the third and forth rounds because then what would be the incentive to get a high ranking?

I guess the draws are also done like that so that the top 3 or 4 players don't play each other early on in a tournament - for tv and general promotional purposes. I agree though, players like Mauresmo would really struggle to make the semis if they had a draw like Mary's.

I always prefered just 16 seeds at the grand slams. It made it all a bit more unpredictable and meant that you could have some big early round matches. I find it frustrating that Mary being ranked 28-32 in the last few Grand Slams always has to face one of the top seeds in the third round. Venus at the French, Sharapova at the US Open etc. If she was unseeded she might have a better draw which is crazy (then again, she could play Serena in the first round!!). Its a difficult one that's for sure.

saby
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I think she will reach the 25rank but it's going to be hard, only 134 points between Mary (26) and Schiavone (19) ...

:angel: :angel: :angel:

sebbe
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM
I think if Mary wants to reach a hinger ranking she must play more tournaments or at least more consistent. I think she takes to many breaks and that is just creating more problems for her. I mean why didn't she for example go to Asia and played some tournaments there??..

Andy.
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:03 AM
i think she should have playedmaybee the European tier three this week Gaz de France she would have been seeded and had a good introduction into the rest off the indoor season. but remember she is preparing hard nd im sure she will do well in the end of the season she always plays well indoors.

Emelia
Sep 29th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Mary will finish the year around the top ten.

chrisbutt88
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Mary will finish the year around the top ten.:angel: Wouldn't it be nice from 26th to 10th:lol:
:kiss: Realistic for Mary is max top 20 :hearts: