PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer's #1 Again On - 3/18/02

GogoGirl
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Capriati Will Regain No. 1 Ranking On Monday

Jennifer Capriati By Richard Pagliaro
03/14/2002

Jennifer Capriati will recapture the No. 1 ranking when the new WTA Tour rankings are released on Monday. Though the two-time Australian Open champion did not enter this week's Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, she will rise to the top spot in the rankings as current No. 1 Venus Williams loses the points she accumulated in advancing to the 2001 Indian Wells' semifinals.

Williams — whose controversial withdrawal from her highly-anticipated semifinal showdown against sister Serena last year left disappointed fans holding non-refundable tickets, a few players charging her father, Richard, fixes the matches between the sisters and ESPN scrambling to fill the 90-minute time slot it had allocated for the match — did not enter Indian Wells. Defending champion Serena Williams is also sitting out the event.

The two-time Wimbledon winner will drop to No. 2 in the rankings. In the last six months, four different players — Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams and Capriati — have held the top spot. The revolving No. 1 ranking is indicative of the strength at the top of women's tennis.

"I just think it shows how strong women's tennis is to have the No. 1 ranking continuously to keep changing," said U.S. Fed Cup captain and former No. 1 Billie Jean King. "There, for a while, people thought Hingis had been No. 1 for too long. You had Williams, you had different people winning majors; why weren't they (rising to No. 1)? But the system does work and I think it shows now how well it does work with the rankings changing by the week."

Hingis, who plays Seles in the Indian Wells semifinals, will move up to No. 3 in the rankings, while Seles climbs from No. 9 to No. 6.

Pacific Life semifinalist Daniela Hantuchova and Emmanuelle Gagliardi will both experience a significant rise in the rankings as a result of their strong showings at Indian Wells. The 18-year-old Hantuchova will break into the top 20 for the first time in her career. She is guaranteed a ranking of No. 19. If the Australian Open doubles finalist reaches the finals she will move to No. 18 and if she wins the event over either Hingis or Seles she will move to No. 17.

Of the four Indian Wells' semifinalists, Gagliardi will make the biggest move in the rankings this week. By reaching the semifinals she guarantees herself of a move from No. 70 to a career-high No. 46. If she moves on to the final, she would go up to No. 38, and if she wins she moves up to No. 28.

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Go Jenny!!! Imo, I'm glad that Venus and Capriati are bouncing the #1 ranking back and forth. Right now, I think they both deserve it. If they split RG and Wimbledon again, I wonder who will be #1?

Anyway, I'm happy for Jennifer. She's has the #1 ranking even if she doesn't have the nicest mouth...:D

:kiss:

veryborednow
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:48 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

YEAH AND SHE KNOWS IT!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Pureracket
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:01 PM
The #1 situation is more than a juicy one because we know how all the top ladies like to win, win, win. I'm sure they are all putting in extra time on the the practise courts and the workout rooms.

selesfan
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Congrats Jen! this will be one exciting race this year. Nice to see Venus will try to play more to make it even more interesting and you can't count Martina or Serena out either.

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:31 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Jennifer Capriati is #1!!!

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Keith
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Jennifer regains number one on MY BIRTHDAY! How cool is that?!

Pureracket
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Jenny fan,
Happy Birthday.:)

louisa2k2
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:59 PM
rather Jen than venus. Thats all ive got say.

cheeky
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:38 PM
its alright that Jen is getting the number 1 ranking,Venus will get it back!!!!i'm glad there are so many people in the running for the number 1 ranking,it makes it very interesting!!!!

Alberto
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Jenny again?????? :o :o :o

KindaNice
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:01 PM
That is great...kinda fun seeing it all being transferred from one to another...makes for some good battles. Good for Jenn. Just hope she can win some consistent titles to maintain it all!

Oizo
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Yeah!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Cool. Does anyone know how many weeks she already held the # 1 spot? 6? :confused:

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:14 AM
To louisa2k2 - Maybe the #1 ranked Capriati will now do something that she has never done .. get a win over the #2 ranked player. :p

Crazy Canuck
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Maybe she will maybe she won't Tee.

But wouldn't you rather see Venus do something that SHE has never done? That is, win Roland Garros of course.

;)

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by louisa2k2

You could say, Both Jenn and Venus are wining the Slams lately, What about your fave????:rolleyes:

vw43
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:51 PM
lol@Becca..

:p

Jennifer Capriati is NUMBER #1
(very soon..)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Looks like some one is just jealous Martina isn't any where close to it ;) :p

Congrats Jennifer! You've come a long way... looks like you are gonna get double digits on that number 1 ranking count! :bounce:

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:05 PM
CONGRATS JENNIFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:06 PM
I think that's a beautiful present for her birthday...

vw43
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
WR - thank you for being nice to Jen even though V & S are your faves..that was very nice...:kiss:

Vanity
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM

I second that. At least Jen's fans are more sane! :p

Tatiana Panova
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Go Jennifer!!:cool:

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Vanity - Maybe you are right, but VENUS has done one thing that Cap has never done ...

Stayed out of jail. :p

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Vanity - Maybe you are right, but VENUS has done one thing that Cap has never done ...

Stayed out of jail. :p

We are talking about tennis and that's what counts, don't you think so? ;)

apoet29
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
I'm glad to see so many players vying for the top spot. What's even better is that the top three players (imo) are having a great season.

Jennifer- Oz champion, Scottsdale finalist
Venus- Gold Coast, Antwerp, Paris champion, qtrs @ the Oz
Martina- Tokyo and Adidas champion, finalist @ the Oz and Indian Wells, SF @ Scottsdale

When you throw Mauresmo (Doha champion), Seles (Dubai champion), Shaughnessy (Adidas finalist), Henin (Gold Coast and Antwerp finalist), Clijsters (Oz and Adidas semifinalist), S. Williams (Scottsdale champion, SF Adidas), plus Hantuchova, Gagliardi, Smashnova, Stevenson among others in the mix, it looks like we could have a really exciting year of tennis ahead of us!:D

vw43
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:38 PM
TTTEEEE-RRREEEEXXXX:

It's time for your medication dear...you musn't get so angry..it's not good for your heart....:kiss:

Halardfan
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Congrats to the ever so good Jennifer Capriati! :)

saby
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:02 PM
I glad Jenn will be number one again, She deserves it :bounce:

GogoGirl
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Sports Network's Women's Tennis Rankings

By Scott Riley

Tennis Editor

Player Previous Rank
1. Venus Williams (USA) 1
Skipping the week-and-a-half Indian Wells event.
2. Serena Williams (USA) 6
Outdueled Capriati in Scottsdale final.
3. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 2
Unable to stop determined Serena at State Farm Classic.
4. Martina Hingis (SUI) 3
Serena's semifinal victim in Scottsdale.
5. Monica Seles (USA) 4
Joins Hingis and Clijsters as top stars at Indian Wells.
6. Kim Clijsters (BEL) 5
Will return to action for the first time in a month (shoulder).
7. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 7
Has the talent to crash the top 5. I question her toughness.
8. Justine Henin (BEL) 8
Tinkering with her game. Winless in two finals this year.
9. Sandrine Testud (FRA) 9
She's in my European top 5?
10. Jelena Dokic (YUG) 10
The results haven't been there in the early part of 2002.

As of March 4, 2002, at 01:38 PM ET

Official Rankings As of 3/18/02:

1. Jennifer
2. Venus
3. Martina
4. Kim
5. Lindsay
6. Monica
7. Serena
8. Justine
9. Jelena
10. Momo

*Note* Since Lindsay won't be playing at the NASDAQ 100 - Serena will probably be ranked sixth - unless Kim doesn't show up. This may mean that Serena and big sis will be on the same side of the draw - I think.

"LET'S GO - VENUS" "YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE FINALS AND WIN - AND THEN - YOU WILL REGAIN THE #1 RANKING"

Oizo
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Congratulations Jenny!!!!!!:kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:

maccardel
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:32 AM
I guess at 11:59pm ,Jen is going to stay up for the stroke of midnight when she gets it all back, huh?

For now anyway.....Venus is number one and finally it was a good run and she gave me what I wanted....go venus!!!!!!

I see a classic rematch of last year's finals Venus-Jen...hmmmm?

louisa2k2
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:19 AM
hey, all i was saying is jen is the one with the grand slam this year so she deserves it. To be honest i know that martinas probably not gonna be n e where near number one this year no matter who many titles she wins because of her scheduling, so i dont really care im more interested about how shes playing.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Martina is the real n.1 :bounce:

Diamond
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:11 PM
I'm confident that Venus will regain the number one spot after Nasdaq. This is her favorite surface and she always does well on it. Even if she doesn't take it back after the Nasdaq, she will have a chance to at least by the French Open where she's not defending anything.

EVAspeed
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:30 PM
aw justine... you can do better.

go justine!

Nimi
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:47 PM
GOOOOOO JENNIFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Ryan
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:23 PM
I think it'll be a toss up between Venus and Jen leading into the FO.

Oizo
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Martina is the real n.1

In your dreams maybe :p LMAO!!!!