PDA

View Full Version : Li Na to be in top 20 in 2005??

Zhao
Sep 25th, 2004, 06:49 AM
She's definitely one of the best prospects from the chinese contigent...
she plays solid groundstrokes... hits with lots of power (reminds me of Dementieva)... she moves around the court very well a la Kim Clijsters...

One thing i dun like abt her is she goes for too much at the wrong time... she got away with it against Pratt but Kuznetsova made her pay for it... Li Na has 2 match points against Kuzzie yet still lost :sad: However this could also be due to lack of match exposure on the WTA circuit... if she plays regularly on the tour i say she's top20... :worship: :worship:

TennisVSTennis
Sep 25th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Good luck to the Chinese version of Nadia Petrova:D....

Fishnick
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM
she plays solid groundstrokes... hits with lots of power (reminds me of Dementieva)... she moves around the court very well a la Kim Clijsters...

One thing i dun like abt her is she goes for too much at the wrong time... she got away with it against Pratt but Kuznetsova made her pay for it... Li Na has 2 match points against Kuzzie yet still lost :sad: However this could also be due to lack of match exposure on the WTA circuit... if she plays regularly on the tour i say she's top20... :worship: :worship:

In one word : No.

Veritas
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Hmm. I thought it was Jie Zheng who was the 'best prospect' :shrug:

I haven't seen her play yet, but for her to take Kuznetsova to 3-sets plus hold a couple of match-points is something to be proud about.

I don't know. Nowadays, it takes more than solid groundstrokes to work up to the top end of the Tour. But if her only real weaknesses are those unforced errors, then maybe she might have a good chance to become a top-20 player by next year.

Gowza
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:27 AM
next year might be tough although she did just take a top 10 player and a slam champion of this year to 7-6 in the 3rd so the game is there, just needs to be consistent and hold her game in order and the results should speak for themselves.

AnDyDog621
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Don't hype her up just yet...

rhz
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM
i think she will be there!!

Kutuzova
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:03 PM
She took one top ten player to 7-6 in the third. She had no pressure and nothing to lose. When she starts to do this consistently then we can hype her.

esquímaux
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:07 PM
:)

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
in 2005? that's quite a goal... where is ranked she now?

Sammm
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM
China have so many good players now! One has got to do something soon.

Savior
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Does someone have a picture of her? Is she bigger than... pretty much all Asian players? I think that's the one thing that really hinders the majority of Asian women on the tour; their small stature. Sure, every once in a while you'll get a Date or a Sugiyama. But, even then, they have to grind it out in 28 tournaments a year to get into the top 15 when bigger, stronger girls get to #1 with 13 tournaments. All of the Chinese players that have emerged recently are all teeny, tiny. (Again, just to be fair, stature really hasn't bothered Henin-Hardenne all that much. So there are exceptions to the rule.) The only advantage smaller players have is that they are usually good scramblers. But, a big, consistent hitter can usually just blast them right off the court.

But, just look at the men's side. The only significant male player from Asia (meaning one that can reach the top ten and conceivably challenge for a grand slam title) is Srichaphan. And, he's just as big as all the other big hitters on the tour. There's only FIVE Asian men in the top 200 of the rankings - Srichaphan at #22 (down from the top ten), Hyung-Taik Lee (who is also very strongly built and tall) at #65, Yen-Hsun Lu at #139 and then Dani Udomchoke and Yeu-Tzuoo Wang who are tied at #190.

There are tons more Asian women in the top 200 because size is less of a factor when you talk about everything but the tip-top echelon of the game/rankings. But, to get into that ELITE group, you just have to be bigger and stronger than 99% of the world. And, ethnically, Asians are generally at a disadvantage when it comes to height and muscularity.

So, to recap, Na Li needs to be either Justine Henin-Hardene, II or she needs to be just as big as Mauresmo, Davenport, Serena, Venus, Petrova, Kuznetsova and the other girls at the TOP of the game.

Andrew.
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
No. She doesn't play tour matches. If she doesn't start doing that more, then she's not gonig much higher...

Experimentee
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Savior - its true that most Asian women are smaller but that doesnt mean much in the womens game. Most of the young Asian girls hit hard and have aggressive games, especially the Chinese players.

As for Li Na, I think she can definitely be top 20 next year if she plays more WTA events. The problem that is holding back most Chinese players is that they have crappy schedules, mostly to do with the government.
Shes doing really well without playing that much, 6 months ago she was unranked but after this week she'll be 145, and after Guangzhou probably higher than that. At that rate and with the wins she has had you cant write her off from getting into the top 20 next year.

treiber04
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Na Li is about 6 feet tall...I see her going for far in China next week, as since the whole Quali-Draw is made up of unranked chinese-wild cards :tape:

Fantastic
Sep 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Li Na has obviously done a lot of groundwork during her sabbatical from the sport. It looks like it's slowly starting to pay off. Good luck to her in 2005. She has been restricted to challenger events because of her ranking but hopefully she will enter a few more WTA events and pick up some big points as she did this week in Beijing.

Experimentee
6 ft tall is pretty impressive. Its not like all Chinese are midgets, remember the Chinese womens volleyball team, there were loads of players over 6 ft tall there. And the tallest Olympian basketball player was Chinese too.

pcrtennis
Na Li will definaitely be a top 20 player if not a top 10 player. If you have seen her play you'll know why! If you haven't I don't think you can honestly answer this by just her record and/or results. GO NA!

ashwu
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
if only she change her coach or do something about her forehand.
and pls forget all those national games~~ they are nothing!!! i can't believe they will all prepare for next year's the 10th national game and give up many important tournaments!! it's not a government thing. the players themselves just don't realize a national champion is just useless except the money is easier to earn and the championship is easier to get.

vogus
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM
the Chinese are really due to produce a top player, they have been beating around the bush with players who flirt with the Top 75 for several years, and tennis has grown so much in the country.

crazillo
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I do not think so.
Li is a good player oviously. Her schedule is pretty strange all the time and I am not so sure we will see her much on the circuit except at Asian Tournaments. That is why I say no.

croat123
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM
you can't say that quite yet. srebotnik was VERY impressive when she first came out of the challengers and she just hasn't produced much in singles despite challenging some top players early on. she should first focus on getting into the top150 and maybe being seeded in slam qualies

ZAK
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:25 PM
he should first focus on getting into the top150 and maybe being seeded in slam qualies
She's already ranked 145 post-Beijing

croat123
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:09 PM
still, it's a long way from 145 to the top20

Elvira
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I think Na Li is a very good player and she should reach the top 100 next year if she keeps playing. Top 20 may not be out of the question, but next year would be too early. She needs to get through an entire year on the tour first.

brunof
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Several years ago Na hovered around the top 100 at 123 in 2000. She also has reached the top 100 in singles, at 85, winning Tashkent that year with Ting Li. On her WTA profile it lists her at 5 foot 7". Tian Tian in five foot 9, so she isn't that short...I personally am also intriged by Shaui Peng who has won 2 75K tournaments, but hasn't done much on the tour...Where is her hype? :angel:

fabifan#1
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:15 AM
too soon i say top 50 by 2005

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:17 AM
She's certainly playing at least like a top 50 player at the moment, so no reason she won't be there next year. She destroyed everyone she played at the Chinese challengers this year...regardless if the fields weren't the strongest, losing 2 games or less in the majority of your matches is still amazing. Beating Nicole Pratt is no small feat either, and then almost beating Kuznetsova shows she belongs in that upper echelon of tennis. Whether or not Kuznetsova was tired is irrelevant...Dulko or Sharapova didn't come nearly as close against Svetlana as Na Li did.

Top 20 may be hard though...reaching the top 20 requires solid play week in and week out, and even then it's not guaranteed (look at Amy Frazier, who's only lost first round once all year, and even still is just outside the top 20). I could definitely see her being seeded for the US Open next year though if she keeps playing like this. It'll be interesting to see how she does outside of China...

I honestly think she'll be hoisting up the title in China next week in Guangzhou...it's a fairly weak field (Dokic as #1 seed lol), so she's more than capable of winning it.

TennisVSTennis
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:21 AM
She's certainly playing at least like a top 50 player at the moment, so no reason she won't be there next year. She destroyed everyone she played at the Chinese challengers this year...regardless if the fields weren't the strongest, losing 2 games or less in the majority of your matches is still amazing. Beating Nicole Pratt is no small feat either, and then almost beating Kuznetsova shows she belongs in that upper echelon of tennis. Whether or not Kuznetsova was tired is irrelevant...Dulko or Sharapova didn't come nearly as close against Svetlana as Na Li did.

Top 20 may be hard though...reaching the top 20 requires solid play week in and week out, and even then it's not guaranteed (look at Amy Frazier, who's only lost first round once all year, and even still is just outside the top 20). I could definitely see her being seeded for the US Open next year though if she keeps playing like this. It'll be interesting to see how she does outside of China...

I honestly think she'll be hoisting up the title in China next week in Guangzhou...it's a fairly weak field (Dokic as #1 seed lol), so she's more than capable of winning it.

She could choke though, the doubles in Beijing was Li/Sun's to win, and they lost it with a bagel. For Li Na, she has never passed a QF in any tournament, the pressure might just get to her. But if she does win it, it'll be more impressive than Nicole's Vancouver win.