PDA

View Full Version : i need your help for my essay on drugs

Kelly
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
i am doing an essay on the legalisation of drugs and i would like you to say wheather or not u think they should be legalised and your reasons for it..

thanks.

Tammy
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:23 PM
um this would of course depend on what drugs u would like to legalize..

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Kelly my own personal view is that Cannbais shouldn't be legalised cos I think you are opening the flood gates flater leagalisation although I think Cannbais should be available for MS suffers etc.

sartrista7
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I'm certainly in favour of legalising cannabis, and probably if I took my arguments to their logical conclusion all other drugs too.

Cannabis can only act as a 'gateway' to hard drugs as the law stands right now. Because it's illegal, people can only obtain it through illegal channels. These illegal channels are easy to find, so you get lots of cannabis-smokers effectively dealing with the criminal world. Cannabis dealers are likely to have links to hard drugs as well. It's easy for them to push harder drugs on to the cannabis users they already deal with.

Legalise cannabis, and it's available through legal channels and therefore subject to controls. It can be taxed. It can be given a high price (like cigarettes) to discourage people using it (though this price must remain below the street price to avoid people turning to the dealers again). There's nothing which would make that a 'gateway' to harder drugs.

In any case, there's no reason for smoking cannabis to be illegal. Cannabis users pose no particular threat to society. They merely become extremely boring people. It addles their brains, but so does most television. It's a private recreational activity.

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
I really despise the way that alcohol is seen in society as acceptable, where Class A drugs are not.

I despise the culture that says it is OK to down 14 pints of lager, but not to do a few lines, or a joint or whatever.

Cannabis does have harmful effects long-term, but of we all know about smoking and alcohol. :rolleyes:

The only problem I have with legalisation is Heroin. I would be quite happy to see Ecstacy, Cannabis and Cocaine available for sale in adult environments (hell, we can at least have the pretence of it being an adult leisure activity)....although of course it would filter down to kids.

Heroin is not the 'one-hit-and-your-hooked' nightmare that propaganda would have you believe, but it is a very dangerous drug...but then so are lots of others that are prescribed every day.

The problem comes with letting go, and I can totally understand why Government is reticent, and anti. Drugs and crime are not mutually exclusive, and even with drugs being freely available we just don't know what the consequences of wholesale legalisation would be.

In the UK there would also be NHS issues to. The general public seem quite happy to pump money into caring for those with smoking- and drink- related diseases, but I'm not sure that would hold sway for those suffering the effects of long-term addiction to Heroin and Crack-cocaine (although we do already, inadvertently).

That then brings up the question of whether we should or not anyway.

I guess as summation I would be in favour of whitepaper looking at the decriminalisation (in my 'world', that's slightly different from the 'legalisation') of all currently banned recreational drugs.

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:30 PM
thefeedesigner I personally see alcohol and Cigarettes as drugs just as harmful if not more harmful than drugs but if they were invented today they would never be legalised. You can't use them as excuses to legalise drugs, I'm sorry but there is no comparsion.

Also I have worked with addicts and many of them state that they start with Cannbais and then they want to get a bigger high so to say that Cannbais has no LT effects is to underestimate it. But it leads to things that we or no-one can control, its easy to blame society but what does that mean??

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:49 PM
There is no comparison. Why not?

There is a comparison because heroin, cannibas and cocaine weren't invented yesterday either.

gentenaire
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't put Ecstacy and Cocaïn on the same level as Canabis. I can think of many teenage deaths linked to Ecstacy. It's a dangerous drug. Canabis isn't nearly as dangerous.

The problem I have with legalising canabis is that it would mean that people would get to smoke it in public. I already hate the smell of cigarettes, I'd rather not be forced to sit through the smell of Canabis as well. I don't care if people choose to smoke joints in their homes, but I'd rather not have them smoke in the streets. People who've been to Amsterdam know that the entire city stinks, even though it's only allowed in coffeeshops.

But canabis should definitely be made available to people who need it for medical reasons.

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:15 PM
I agree Tine that all drugs shouldn't be just lumped together (as maybe I tried to do in my first post).

Each should be considered on its own merit (or not!?).

Zamboni
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:15 PM
I think cannabis should be legalized (it is in the Netherlands). I mean, it's not more dangerous than smoking or alcohol, when you use it in the same measure.

But a risk of legalising cannabis is that people are gonna try other drugs, because what's forbidden is good (well, that's what some people think), which is not good of course.

And abother issue is, how far will you take the legalising? I mean, people smoke joints at school here, but that is not legal. When they get you with a joint, you have a problem.

Good luck with the essay!

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:48 PM
adnil, you lucky, lucky dog..

Here in the U.S. we dream about going to Amsterdam. The fantasy is to step into a cafe and say:

"Yes, ma'am, I would like one extra large, kind phatty and a thick shake please..."

lol.

Anyway:

I do think marijuana should be legal. I do feel that the current legal substances of alcohol and cigarettes are far more addictive.
I like marijuana but I have never completely craved it or violently needed it. I enjoy it when I have it but don't need it if I don't. Such is not to be said about alcohol and cigs.

Alcohol makes (some) people aggressive and belligerent. Marijuana has a calming affect. You don't hear too much of someone partaking of herb and then driving and killing someone. Yet drunk driving is one of the leading killers of people here in the U.S.

I disagree that marijuana is a gateway drug..I would leave that label to alcohol and cigs...I know that I tried alcohol first, then cigs, then mj.

Marijuana is a plant. It's a natural plant that God, Science, Buddha or whomever you believe in put on this Earth. The plant itself has many uses. It's a good thing but it's like most anything..good in moderation...

If the government didn't make mj illegal, I think kids would be less interested in it. It would be acceptabe and kids wouldn't be "rebelling" or there wouldn't be that sense of excitment if they did do it.

Our government is making so much money on the "war on drugs" that it's more beneficial for mj to be illegal...it's sick and twisted but it is the government.

I want to stress that I only am for the legalization of natural drugs i.e. marijuana and mushrooms...nothing synthetic or man made like cocaine, crack, heroine etc...those are just too scary...

Zamboni
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by vw43
adnil, you lucky, lucky dog..

Here in the U.S. we dream about going to Amsterdam. The fantasy is to step into a cafe and say:

"Yes, ma'am, I would like one extra large, kind phatty and a thick shake please..."

lol.

lmao...but I'm a "saint". I never took any drugs, but I do think that everyone should be able to smoke a joint when they want to. See my first post ;)

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:59 PM
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Good for you :)

gentenaire
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:01 PM
I partly agree with you, vw43. Yes, Marijuana has a calming effect, but I find people under influence of marijuana can be a pain in the ass.....and they certainly shouldn't drive!!!!

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:08 PM
lol@Tine...I feel the same way about drunk people when I haven't been drinking..I feel like I am the only intelligent person amongst a herd of stinky, unintelligible beasts...but I assure myself that I do not act that way when I am drunk.:angel:

As for driving after smoking, I find I am more attentive to the road and those around me...also, most stoners drive slow...:)

Tammy
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:08 PM
ok i will state this from first hand experience.. because i am not afraid to admit that i have tried some drugs before...

weed is something i believe would be ok to be legalized .. yes it has a calming effect ..but as tine stated its not good to drive under the influence of it ... its not good at all its quite dangerous..

cocaine... ok again this is a harsh drug no way in hell should this be legalized... it really can fuck a person up.. and addictions can get way out of hand ... its quite dangerous... it messes with ur body..

acid ... again shouldn't be legalized it really fucks u up... u trip out of ur mind.. and nothing is as it seems... its quite dangerous and u can do some pretty stupid shit...

i think all in all none of the above drugs should be legalized because they harm u in more ways than one ... even weed causes u to loose brain cells... and none of them should be legalized they are all major health risks..

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
TFD the reason why there is no comparsion is quite simple, if Alcohol and Cigarettes were invented today they would never be leagalised, that there is no question. The fact remains is that it wasn't invented today so its impossible to delegalise it. The fact that they are legal doesn't give the leagalisation of Drugs a stronger case, just cos one is legal doesn't make it right for another. The long-term effects of drugs have never been proved or disporved we have no idea what effects they might have as there has not been extensive research done into the effects. I'm just saying that just b/c alcohol is legal doesn't make it right we should legalise drugs.

As someone who has worked with kids who have drug problems, some as young as 7 you will understand why I say that.

gentenaire
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:19 PM
I've never tried drugs myself. I do like to drink a beer or a glass of wine every now and then. I don't like drunk people, but when everyone's tipsy, it's fun. You're still aware of what you're doing, but you're looser, you're happy, etc.

Maybe people under influence of marijuana drive calmer, but so do people who're tired. Loads of accidents are caused by people falling asleep behind the wheel. They don't react quickly enough.

JonBcn
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Tine
I wouldn't put Ecstacy and Cocaïn on the same level as Canabis. I can think of many teenage deaths linked to Ecstacy. It's a dangerous drug. Canabis isn't nearly as dangerous.

Almost all of the deaths attributed to ecstacy use have been because of either ineducation (not knowing how to cope with the drug once ingested - drinking too little/too much water, overheating - for example), or unpure ecstacy cut with all kinds of crap. I would dispute that its any more dangerous than cannabis when used responsibly. The main danger is that people do not know what they´re taking and have no way of checking.
Hundreds of thousands of mainly young people take ecstacy every weekend in the UK alone, and willingly take this risk. If it was legalised at least people could check the quality and purity before consuming and therefore ensure their safety.
I was a manager at one of the biggest nightclubs in London for two years, believe when I say I´ve seen it all. You´re not going to stop thousands of people doing something they enjoy. But our governments place them in danger too by preventing any kind of quality check.

I´m not saying legalise or dont legalise - I have mixed opinions, but I hate drug snobbery and uninformed opinions. I have seen cannabis make a complete MESS of people.

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
rightous, you're saying that if alcohol and cigarettes were invented today they'd probably be illegal, and on that I agree with you.

But I'm saying that the reason why there is legitmate comparison is because cocaine and marijuana did not fall out of the sky yesterday. They've been around for ages, and at times very dangerous drugs which were once legal, HAVE been criminalized once the full dangers were known.

So I think it is fair to compare cigarettes and alcohol (very dangerous AND addictive drugs, been around for a while and STILL legal), with cannabis and heroin (very dangerous AND addictive drugs, been around for a while and NOT legal).

That's the point I was making.

rightous
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:57 PM
TDF I do agree with you to a point but Cannbais and Herion have never been massed produced to the degree they ae now, Alocohol and Cigarettes have been massed produced to a great degree for the last 70 years so in that there is no comparsion. My point is that just b/c one is legal doesn't make it right to legalise the other. In addition this is a contradiction but crimilisation of Cigarettes and Alochol could never be implemented.

Bright Red
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:42 AM
I just saw an article that stated that brain damage occurs from smoking weed on a long term basis.

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Marihuana should be legalized, this is what I think. It's a naive drug compared with alcohol, cocaine, heroin, extasis and LSD.

It is better to relax with herbs after a hard day;)

Kelly
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:13 PM
thanks guys your veiws and opinions are greatly apreciated.

Zamboni
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Bright Red, that's true, but alcohol does the same with you.

Sam L
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Very interesting thread. I don't have much to contribute to the essay sorry. But I just wanted to say that I used to drink, smoke cigarettes and cannabis and have done speed.

But I haven't done any of that for awhile now (2 years). Alcohol in small quantities only and only on occasions.

I think the arguments about legalising/illegalising are irrelevant. You know what's the most important thing is? EDUCATION about these drugs.

There's a reason why people do these drugs. There's a reason why I did those drugs, and there's a reason why I don't use them anymore.

Research should be done into that and cure people rather than legalising or illegalising drugs. It just doesn't work.

disposablehero
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by sartrista7
I'm certainly in favour of legalising cannabis, and probably if I took my arguments to their logical conclusion all other drugs too.

Cannabis can only act as a 'gateway' to hard drugs as the law stands right now. Because it's illegal, people can only obtain it through illegal channels. These illegal channels are easy to find, so you get lots of cannabis-smokers effectively dealing with the criminal world. Cannabis dealers are likely to have links to hard drugs as well. It's easy for them to push harder drugs on to the cannabis users they already deal with.

Legalise cannabis, and it's available through legal channels and therefore subject to controls. It can be taxed. It can be given a high price (like cigarettes) to discourage people using it (though this price must remain below the street price to avoid people turning to the dealers again). There's nothing which would make that a 'gateway' to harder drugs.

In any case, there's no reason for smoking cannabis to be illegal. Cannabis users pose no particular threat to society. They merely become extremely boring people. It addles their brains, but so does most television. It's a private recreational activity.

You make some good points, sartrista. I never really thought about the fact that legalizing the herb would disassociate some people from the hard drug dealers.

Jay
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:51 PM
not really, if you legalise the herb the drug dealers will still be dealing in it because knowing the way Governments work, especially the English Government, legalised cannabis will probably be taxed to the limit the way alchool and cigarettes are.

Therefore the dealers will be able to continue dealing because they will be undercutting the legalised cannabis, exaclty the situation that is happening now in UK with smuggled tobacco. There are illegal dealers all across the country selling smuggled untaxed cigarettes and tobacco at half the price of the shops.

I personally don't smoke cigarettes or cannabis so I'm not that bothered either way, but I just think it's fundementaly unsound to run a countrys' economy that is dependant on people drinking, smoking, driving their car and playing the National Lottery and if it was legalised, lighting up a big fat joint !

disposablehero
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:16 AM
I've thought about that in the past, Jay. The solution is to not go crazy with the taxes, and to keep the penalties for illegal cannabis as stiff as they are now. What would be the actual cost of field-grown weed, rolled and shipped? 15 cents a joint? 15 cents to get high. Right now it will cost you about two and a half dollars. (rumour has it) As long as the tax is only $1.35, that makes for $1.50. Most people won't risk jail time over $0.25 or even $0.40, so you pretty much have to sell the illegal stuff for well under half what you did before. Better to sell cocaine, and actually make some money for your jail time. Thus, the people dealing the harder drugs would find pot to be a poor risk, not to mention too much work. These people aren't renowned for their work ethic.

Jay
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:52 AM
I agree with you, but the problem in the UK is that they will go crazy with the taxes because we need the revenue.

We're broke but we don't want to admit it. Sure we might spend hundreds of millions on something like putting on a show at the Millenuim Dome to show to the rest of Europe that we are still a first class nation and we still know how to party but the truth is that we are like a middle class family living in a high class area, mortgage to the hilt, sky high credit card bills, personal bank loans everywhere but still putting ourselves into even more debt by buying a brand new Mercedes every year just to keep up appearances with the neighbours.