PDA

View Full Version : VENUS plans to win the Wimbledon title a third time.

TeeRexx
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:43 PM
From Wimbledon web site:
---

Venus Williams is hooked on winning Wimbledon titles. The American has secured the ladies' title for the past two years and in the mood to complete a hat-trick.

http://www.wimbledon.com/club_files/tv013_13a.jpg

She told the Wimbledon website: "Once you start winning there it gets pretty addictive."

The 21-year-old wants to emulate Martina Navratilova and Steff Graf, the last two women to succeed in becoming ladies singles champion three years in a row. And Williams clearly has the drive to do it as she set her sights on the 2002 Championships.

She said: "Nothing less than winning Wimbledon again will be good enough for me."

Williams will be able to draw on the experience of her second success, secured with the defeat of Justine Henin, from Belgium, in the final. The tournament, she felt, was a bigger test than when she became the first Afro-American since Althea Gibson to triumph in the ladies' singles final on Centre Court 12 months earlier.

"It was a lot tougher to win last year because I had to blank out all distractions. There were a lot of rain delays at the end. What I had to do was just focus on the tennis."

Ironically, Williams believes the delays turned into a positive. "I think they actually helped me to think and focus."

http://www.wimbledon.com/club_files/tv011_13a.jpg

Williams is buoyed by her favourite memory at Wimbledon. and it isn't the lifting of the aptly-named Venus Rosewater Dish in 2000 after overcoming compatriot Lindsay Davenport. It goes back to a match earlier, against her sister Serena. That victory convinced her she could be a Wimbledon champion.

"I had to fight for my life to win that semi-final against Serena. Going home from the transport depot in the car after that I thought to myself ' I am going to win the final on Saturday'. I just had this feeling."

Williams has one of the broadest smiles as well as the most powerful shots in women's tennis. When she galloped around like a colt following her initial Centre Court triumph against Davenport it was was fixed on her face. Her celebrations last year were more muted but that look of delight was plain to see. The exhuberence of youth remained disarming. She loves the tournament.

"It's easy to tell you what I like so much about Wimbledon. There's the grass, the atmosphere, the winning and the trophy."

But Williams has a sense of persepective. The sport is not the all all and end all in her life. She has limited appearances and already planning for a life after tennis as she is studying for a fashion degree. Williams seems a keen student. She wants to learn four other languages (French, Italian, German and Russian) and is a voracious reader, swotting up on Chinese culture and Russian history. She can seem enigmatic, but has a sharp sense of humour, making fun of her interest in shopping.

As Venus herself says, "My favourite place is anywhere that accepts credit cards."

There's certainly more to Venus Ebone Starr Williams than fierce groundstrokes and a blistering serve. But although the future may hold any number of things for her, it is Wimbledon that will occupy her thoughts when she steps out to defend her title this summer.
----
The English are secretely plotting to pay VENUS to become a British citizen so that they will finally have their own champion because they have finally given up on poor Tiny Tim. :eek: :p

TeeRexx
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:26 PM
I see three in a row coming. :wavey:

-Sonic-
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:29 PM
do u hate the british or something? so many of ur posts lately have been anti brits

TeeRexx
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I like Brits, I just don't like darts, boiled everything food, giving the royals all that dough and rainy Wimbey championships. :p

And the War of 1812. :eek: :wavey:

Vanity
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:37 PM
And the War of 1812.

:eek: I guess the nickname really does have some meaning to it! ;)

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:41 PM
"boiled everything food." :eek:

I gotta laugh at that one! :D Gosh, the Brits really are the pariahs of world cuisine. :o

vw43
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Venus is definitely the player to beat at Wimbledon. I think if Davenport were healthy she might be able to give Venus a good run but it looks as if she will not be ready.

I think the only way she could lose would be if someone pulled an amazing upset...maybe Serena...

Anyway, I just hope Jen can play well at Roland Garos...I think she has the best chance there.

Deira
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Venus "three-peat" Williams :hearts:

CanIGetAWhat
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Go Venus, three-peat at Wimbledon, the Acura Classic and the US Open and four-peat at the Pilot Pen! :hearts:

Infiniti2001
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:46 PM
GO

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/bischoff/239/01658ac0.gif

Dream BIG

Bright Red
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:49 PM
And she will do it!

Go Venus!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: ;)

GrandSlammed
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM
I see three in a row coming.

Venus is looking more at 10+ in a row coming.:wavey:

Williamsdon in the making...

HAIL-VENUS
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:11 PM
I'm with Venus. Anything less than a win for her at Wimbledon won't be enough for me either. For some reason, I just don't see her loosing there again. Well, maybe 8 or 9 years from now. I hope she wins as many GS titles as she's capable of.

GO VENUS, THREE-PEAT @ WIMBLEDON

Ntosake
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:30 PM
I'm hoping Venus 3peats, too!

Goooo Venus!:)

scoop
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
:bounce: GO VENUS

Dawn Marie
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Venus just do your personal BEST!!!:)

Queen of the grass:-)

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Venus is the definitely the one to beat at Wimbledon, and really, it will be hard for anyone to stop her.

Halardfan
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:00 PM
You won't have to worry about rainy Wimbledon much longer Mr Rexx...

That nice GW Bush's (IQ 63) environmental policy will up the temperature around the globe, making it nice and warm and dry here.

Of course it'll soon be 180F in Texas.

But you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. :) :p

Ryan
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Fools, Hingis will win Wimbledon.:rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Here we go with a hingis fan come to spoil the thread. Then they wonder why people jump into a martina thread with their posts. fool, when was the last time martina won a slam? um, um, um, um, three years and counting.....

exoneuk
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:42 PM
I suspect... Someone will win Wimbledon... and that they will be be female... and they will be from a country that can probably (or probably not) speak english

As you can tell I'm pretty indecisive ;)

Kart
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:03 PM
If she plays like she did last year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she wins Wimbledon again.

She has definitely been setting the standard on grass over the last two years.

Ryan
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Oh I'm sorry cybelle, didn't you notice me ROLLING MY EYES? Jeez it was a joke, even I think/know Venus will win Wimby for a third time.

Steam
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Venus plans to win the Wimbledon title a third time.

No crap, I figured she would plan to lose to MEILEN Tu in the first round.

Becool
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:55 AM
GOO SERENA DON'T LET BIG SIS' TO WIN WIMBLEDON AGAIN :p ;) :D

:bounce: :angel:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:14 AM
ooops i didn't notice the eye roll :eek:

I think martina should focus on the FO and leave Wimbledon to Miss V.:wavey:

Linton
Mar 15th, 2002, 03:20 AM
I dont really care who will win wimbledon, I suspect all top 5 have a goo chance of winning it. venus mainly but go amrtina and all the other players.

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Venus will win Wimbeldon again! She'd three-peat there! Yeah!!! :bounce: :bounce:

What a lovely article! :hearts:

Jeff
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Don't talk the talk unless you can walk the walk....

And we all know Venus can walk the walk ;)

treufreund
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:56 AM
If Martina changes the direction of the ball at Wimbledon like she has been doing lately and keeps serving and returning and throwing in the occasional drop shots and net play then she really will be a big threat on grass. Venus serve makes her the favorite still but Agassi (whose game has some similarity to Hingis except his net play is much worse) has come very very close to winning on grass and martina has won it once so counting her out would be totally foolish. Maybe Alex will beat Venus in the third round. Seriously though Venus, Serena, Martina, Jelena, Justine, Alexandra are the ones who I think play quite well on grass.

Benny
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:17 AM
When she meets Tammy her winning streak will come to and end;);):fiery: :drool:

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:32 AM
And the winner of the Humorous Post of the Day goes to - Benny :eek: :p

VENUS should be the clear favorite, but after seeing her little sister dismantel Hingis and Capriati, back to back, I will not be surprised to see SERENA hoisting silver plate in the wetlands of Britian. :cool:

Halardfan
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Just cos Wimbledon is the number one tennis tournament on the face of the earth!:p

As Im sure those Williams ladies would acknowledge.

Envy is what it is. :p

I see our Britian v US debate can only be settled one way Mr Rexx...Im gonna have to go Tonya Harding on your Paula Jones ass! :) ;)

Call Fox right now!

:p

Mama said knock you out!!! :p

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
My Jedi apprentice Ba - I notice that you really keep up with all things that are American.
It is not too hard to tell whta that means. You really want to be a Yank, right? Don't answer, your previous words have already spoken.

Me, on the other hand no only a few of the main things about Britian.

1. It rains too damn much.
2. Most of the citizens are related.
3. They drink their beer warm because they have no ice.
4. Billions are wasted on the renters at Buckingham.
5. It rains too damn much (2nd time)
6. They don't speak proper American Business English.
7. If they had tacos over there, they would probably boil them as well. :eek:
8. The English soccor fans make the Indian Wells mob look like choir boys.
9. No building is less than 1500 years old.
10. They have no Fatburger franchises, but maybe that is because of all of the crazy cows in the Wetland.

Be smart and do what all of the really smart Brits do .... Come to the U.S.A and live!
:eek: :p :wavey:

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:35 PM
treufreund, Martina is a great threat on grass. She has lost in the first round 2 times in the last 3 years.

Yet Lindsay who has won 1 title, reached 1 final and 1 semi in the last 3 years isn't even in the list of players you listed as being threatening, shows how much you know about tennis outside of Martina... :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:54 PM
WR - Way to put it to Truefiend. ;) :wavey:

Halardfan
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
To reply directly to your honest assesment Mr Rexx...

1. I like rain! It keeps thing nice and green. On holiday in the US I miss the green. I liked the smog though. :p
2. There are certain states in the US where EVERYONE is called Mary-Lou, Cletus, Jim-bob or Rusty, and the whole lot of them are each others brothers, cousins, aunt's Grandson, and play banjo's! Watch the movie "Deliverance" then get back to me.
3. Don't like beer. Rum and coke for me. Coke, a nice American thing. There are some.
4. I hate the royals. But you know we only keep them for gullable Americans to come and gawp at, and buy dreadful souvenirs no one in their right mind would buy. Fools! :p
5. See number one.
6. We speak English. A proud, European language! :)
7. Don't know what your 'boiling' fetish is about...I suspect your thinking of New Orleans. Gumbo!
8. The only reason US sports fans don't get up and fight is cos they they are all obese, and can move only with aid of a bulldozer. Too many hot dogs!
9. Nothing wrong with a bit of character!
10. Im vegetarian and can do without the wicked ways of the Hamburger. Meat is murder!

:p :p :p

cooolconchita
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:25 PM
i think that she has gotta win again - she's pretty unstoppabe on grass! realistically -who can beat her? however, i think hantuchova is my 2nd favourite, she really gave venus a good match in the 2nd round last year - probably making venus play her best tennis of the tournament, so now a year on - i expect big things! it's strange, i hate watching venus play on clay, yet love her on grass - it suits her style so much better - GO V!

Vanity
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Halardfan
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Disclaimer:
To Americans as a whole...
Please do no take too seriously anything I say here about the US of A...though I don't like the govenrment at all, I do like America. My ongoing debate with Mr Rexx is meant in fun.

I like America.

And, secretly, Mr Rexx just LOVES Britain. He has a Union Jack T-shirt, so Ive heard...:p

Now to get back to thinking of more ways of insulting America... ;)