PDA

View Full Version : Arantxa Sanchez Vicario a RG winner in 2002?

Dawn Marie
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
I think yes. She played agressive tennis today vrs. Monica. I don't know with a good draw I think ASV could do it again. I mean she took a set off of Seles? And we all know Seles is no joke.. and RG is clay.

ASV surprised me today with her tennis.:)

Anyone else think she has a shot?

saki
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:16 AM
At the doubles, yes, definitely!

Singleswise, the players who can beat her on clay are: Hingis, Capriati, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo. If she doesn't run into any of them, then yes she could do it. But, it is a little unlikely. Alas.

That said, I don't think anyone would have predicted her to win in 1998.

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:21 AM
I've just replied in another thread that Arantxa was basically on nice, comfortable, well-worn turf against Seles yesterday.

She didn't have to adapt (maybe accept to the conditions), because playing Seles is like what she's been used to for 15 years or so! :eek:

Yes Arantxa played very well yesterday (better than I've seen her in an age), but in the future she's gonna have to win the matches against the awkward and hungry upstarts, before she gets a shot a Seles or a Hingis, or a Capriati (3 players I would rate her chances against).

A victory at RG is not impossible for Arantxa, but still unlikely at this stage. (in singles ;))

Kart
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:03 AM
I don't see her winning, but she certainly is capable of taking out any of the big name players in Paris (except maybe Martina whom she seems to ave a mental block against) as she has an amazing record there.

Confidence and self belief like yesterday are the key though.

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Kart, I didn't realise just how shocking Arantxa's record against Martina was! :eek:

I just looked it up: Martina leads Arantxa 17-2. Gosh.

Kart
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:16 AM
It's shameful really :eek: - a player of ASV's quality should have beaten Martina more often than she has :(.

Still, she won last year in Amelia island and even though many will say that Martina was not at her best, it will have given Arantxa some belief that she can still beat her (I hope).

JonBcn
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Its VERY unlikely, but then I thought that in 1998, and it happened!

PamShriverRockz
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
You can't rule her out simply because she often fights the odds and proves everyone wrong. She has a pretty good record at RG over the last few yrs bar last year so she could do well. Well, I'm hoping anyway ;)

Gallofa
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:39 AM
I wish ;)

No, I don't think she's a contender for the title. Nor was Iva Majoli in 1997 either, you'd say, and with Arantxa you truly never know, but it would be a major surprise.

Just like many were screaming that she should retire because she lost a couple of matches, it doesn't mean that she's ready to take RG because she's won a couple of them this week :D

She'll do well if she keeps playing like this, I would be *very* happy with a QF showing. Anything above that point is wishful thinking at this point.

May she prove me wrong!!!! :D:D:D

Vamos Arantxa!!!!!

partyzantka
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM
I believe she can do it. I think we'll know everything after Miami. If she keeps playng like against Monica, I'm sure she;ll be in perfect form in Paris.:bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:01 PM
nO BUT THE 2002 ROLAND GARROS WINNER SI CONCHITA :P

supremeross
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Well, anything is possible. I just don't see it as being likely. ASV best season last year was on clay and that wasn't all that impressive, considering her past accomplishments. I don't think players veterans and rookies fear ASV anymore nor see her as much of a threat on clay or hardcourts.

Does anyone have any idea what's been off with ASV's game? Or has it been more dealing with personal issues, like her marriage? As of late she's been mentioned more for her doubles game than for her singles.

Randy H
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:25 PM
I think Arantxa's game is still as good as before really, the only difference I see is a more aggressive atttitude to her style. Before she could afford to get away with some matches where she was a bit more defensive, but she does know how to attack aswell. I think adapting into a more aggressive player, getting to net more, and going for her shots may have been costing her a bit the last little while because she may not be quite used to it, and still needs to work a bit more at choosing the right moment. When she's on top of it she's very dangerous though, and even a year ago at Amelia Island against Hingis she was really attacking and not allowing Hingis to just push her around. A few losses and inconsistent results may have hurt her confidence a bit, but hopefully her form is coming together again and seeing Arantxa adapting is a good sign to me. The results aren't necessarily all going to happen right away, but I think that this Indian Wells result was a good step in the right direction.

As for whether she's a contender for the Roland Garros title, who knows. Last year was a tough loss to Frazier (clay is not Amy's best surface, but she does have a winning record against Arantxa, particularly in rceent years). If she is playing as she has in Indian Wells then I think she can make the quarterfinals likely, but I think the title is a bit too far away now. But anything can happen, so you really never know. I'd love to see her finally win Roland Garros doubles though :)

[S@nti]
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Yes! of course

Becool
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Yes, if she pass Venus, Serena or Jennifer, or Seles :)

[S@nti]
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Or Martina, or Justine, or Kim, or Jelena.... :rolleyes: