PDA

View Full Version : Best Slice?

Jordan.
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Which player on the tour do you think has the best slice?
Please put one player for backhand and another for forehand.

Dokicfan17
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Backhand Slice: Rita Grande

Forehand Slice: Anna Kournikova

rated_next
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:42 AM
For sure Rita Grande ... although I'm not sure about the Spaniards ... maybe Virginia Ruano Pascual, Gala Leon Garcia, Angeles Montolio ...

antonella
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Rita Grande has the classic old-school backhand-slice down better than anybody else and as for the forehand slice, I've seen Amanda Coetzer use it more effectively than any other player that I've seen.

marshmellow
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:49 AM
well she's not playing anymore...but IMO the best slice from the backhand side was that of steffi's...you'd be knee deep in trying to return those....

Mark43
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Backhand: Conchita Martinez
Forehand: Capriati/Hingis/Serena use it when in trouble

The single greatest slice of all time was Steffi Graf's backhand. For all the talk of how "attackable" it was, it was a huge weapon. Very unsettling and deadly accurate. I think it was the single most defended shot in the history of tennis (who wanted to hit to her forehand) and because of that it became the greatest slice ever.

Berlin_Calling
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Backhand: Conchita, ARANTXA , Rita

Forehand: ANNA K , Kim Clijsters

TS
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Best backhand slice - Nicole Pratt & Rita Grande

Best forehand slice - Pam Shriver? ;) :o

Jordan.
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Backhand-Rita :kiss:
Forehand-Martina :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:

Dawn Marie
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Didn't Novotna have a slice? Anyway nobody can touch Steffie's. I like Rita Grande's too but I like especially how Steffie used hers along with her many other weapons.

moby
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:19 AM
steffi's on the backhand
i think jana has good backhand and forehand ones too

and i think marti doesnt really have a good slice :(

tenn_ace
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:21 AM
BEST BACKHAND SLICE --- Tina Pisnik

None of the players comes even close... the problem is that this is basicaly the only decent shot Tina has. So when she wins her matches she wins with that shot. Period.

Vanity
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:36 AM
I truly believe that the slice would be a good weapon for many players out there today. Unfortunately most don't use it and I don't understand why. I could also see the undersized players benefitting from it against the "big babes". The best backhand slice out there today would have to be Rita Grande's, hers is a classic!!! Anna K has the good slice from the forehand side.

SM
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Bh: Raymond
Fh: ASV

spotsyboy
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:56 AM
She's not playing anymore but Irina Spirlea had a nasty little slice
I saw Rossana de Los Rios at Amelia Island last year and she was using this odd (although effective) looking two-handed backhand slice. Leon Garcia's was pretty lethal looking too :)

Mattographer
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Rita Grande! :kiss: OMG! I forget add her name on my signature :o

Jeff
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:22 AM
I don't know, but I went to Indian Wells this past weekend and had the chance to see Amanda Coetzer. Was really impressed with her backhand slice.

Actually I was impressed with everything about Amanda. I hadn't seen her play much, but she definetly has all the shots and boy is she a fighter!

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Backhand - Lisa Raymond has a deadly slice backhand, but it can be inconsistent.

Forehand - Serena and Martina have good ones, and they use it well.

treufreund
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Martina has never had a GREAT slice but it has gotten much better. She often can squeak it low over the net or finesse it deep with it curving crosscourt in an arc which requires a lot of sidespin too. Jenn has a decent forehand slice too. Really very few players have a great slice but Justine's is quite good and of course Steffi's was so good that it made an essentially defensive shot nearly offensive.

Hikaru
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Rita Grande. Her slice is so beautiful :hearts:
also I love Janette's one ;)

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
OMG! Best forehand slice: Elna Reinach, how can she not be mentioned in this thread! Navratilova still has nightmares of that sucker in a chip and charge at Wimbledon.

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Oh, backhand - Conchita Martinez.

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Is this all time?

Backhand: Steffi Graf

Williams Rulez
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Steffi for sure! :bounce:

Zhao
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Steffi Graf -esp lethal when she plays clay matches

CJ1
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Steffi has the all time best backhand slice, in today's game I too think Rita Grande has the best backhand slice.

Hey it's great to see that Rita has so many admirers these days, her match against Jennifer Capriati at the Aussie Open certainly did wonders for her gaining new fans :wavey:

moby
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by tenn_ace
BEST BACKHAND SLICE --- Tina Pisnik

None of the players comes even close... the problem is that this is basicaly the only decent shot Tina has. So when she wins her matches she wins with that shot. Period.

i saw tina play amelie before on clay and upset her
there was this amazing crosscourt short backhand slice return that tina hit
i was impressed *that was the only thing i remembered about her* :o

tenn_ace
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
esdy, Tina can do many things with it, inlcuding hitting angles, lines, even winners... I was really impressed by that shot. Everybody is talking about Steffi and Rita, two easiest players to name. But I don't remember any of those two hitting winners like Tina does.

sartrista7
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Great slices I remember... Steffi of course, also Jana Novotna, Irina Spirlea and Katarina Studenikova (her bh slice gave Dokic fits in Wimbledon '99).

Currently, I'd say for backhand Rita Grande and Tina Pisnik
Forehand - well, no-one uses it regularly enough so I can't say.

-Sonic-
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:33 PM
in her match against jen at the aussie open, rita's slice was great at moving jen around the court and was great at slowing the pace down, as jen was wanting to make the points very fast paced and over quickly. it was very effective and it got her many more games. however it wasn't really a weapon, as it just meant the rally was longer. it would have only prolonged the point before her forehand could come into play, or before jen could hit a winner or error.

Jessica02
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Backhand slice: Amelie for sure!

LucasArg
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:39 AM
BH Gabriela Sabatini:kiss: Amelie, Paola

FH Serena:kiss:

Fingon
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't go that far to say Rita Grande has the best slice backhand in the game based on one match. I am sure if she had the best slice backhand she would be winning much more, but that's just my opinion.

Of course, for me the best slice backhand is Justine's, the fact that she mixes it up with the topspin doesn't make it less good, perfect technique and perfect disguise.

Slice forehand? is that a shot? The slice forehand is an antinatural shot and not a very good idea at all to use it.

Yes, some players use it when they have no other way to get to the ball, it's the same as to ask who has the best shot with the racquet frame. A slice forehand isn't a shot a player would normally hit, and it really isn't a very good idea, similar to the double handed slice backhand, it's a horrible idea to hit that shot, unless you enjoy being killed.

graf630
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Steffi's backhand slice will never be surpassed for the consistency,depth,or accuracy she had with it.

I just wish she would have rolled over it more like Justine does.Who I think has the best slice backhand at the present time. Just imagine how deadly Steffi would have been if she had that backhand whip like Justine's!!

Novotna also had a very nice slice backhand,as did the 1st Martina.

Anna K uses the slice forehand quite often.She is pretty good at hitting them.It keeps her in the point longer anyways.Hopefully it will carry her to her first title this year. :cool:

Scotso
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:27 AM
After watching Emmanuelle Gagliardi today, I have to go with her now!

lol ;)

moby
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:10 AM
saw eleni danillidou's backhand slice at OZ against jen

low, deep and really skids
pretty fast for a slice too

give her some time and she'll have the best slice in the game

-Sonic-
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:07 PM
just because i mentioned one match doesn't mean i was on ly taking one match into consideration.....
and anyway, i didn't say that she has the best and i don't think she has the best, i was just commenting.

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:18 PM
STEFFI's slice, of course!!! especially the Bh one...

Williams Rulez
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Fingon
I wouldn't go that far to say Rita Grande has the best slice backhand in the game based on one match. I am sure if she had the best slice backhand she would be winning much more, but that's just my opinion.

Of course, for me the best slice backhand is Justine's, the fact that she mixes it up with the topspin doesn't make it less good, perfect technique and perfect disguise.

Slice forehand? is that a shot? The slice forehand is an antinatural shot and not a very good idea at all to use it.

Yes, some players use it when they have no other way to get to the ball, it's the same as to ask who has the best shot with the racquet frame. A slice forehand isn't a shot a player would normally hit, and it really isn't a very good idea, similar to the double handed slice backhand, it's a horrible idea to hit that shot, unless you enjoy being killed.

Why is hitting forehand slice a bad idea but hitting backhand slice a good idea? :confused:

Fingon
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Because the slice backhand is a natural shot and the slice forehand isn't.

One of the most important things with the slice is that the ball has to bounce as low as possible, that's easy to do with the backhand (one-handed) but not with the forehand.

You can see it with the serve and volleyers, normally the approach shot is either a slice backhand or a running stopspin forehand, with the forehand the ball tends to bounce to high.

You can see some Pat Rafter's matches, he is so eager to go to the net that occasionally, he would hit a slice forehand and will always get passed, when it's a slice backhand things are very different.

Candy946
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Justine Henin and Amanda Coetzer

monicain
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:41 PM
I am a big fan of tennis player who use slice backhand!
Every time I saw any match, if the two are someone I don't know, I'll put my 100% on the slice-user. This shot is elegance and effective on grass especially. I love it:hearts:

For the backhand side, Steffi's is far from other candidates. It brings her 22 GSs!
Anyway, I cannot deny Jana's. Those BH slices always find her way to net.

For the FH side, I'd rather say Monica's. She uses it tons of times and it helps her a lot.:bounce:

AnnaK also one to pick,but I really hate it when she uses double-handed BH slice--suicidal idea!

Whatzup
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Forhand: Anna Kournikova and Backhand: Justine Henin-Hardenne :D

ComeBackHingis
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Backhand = Silvia Farina Elia
Forehand = Martina Hingis

Experimentee
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Backhand - Rita Grande :D

Sonf@
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Backhand: Conchita Martinez, Steffi Graf, Magui Serna

Forehand: Chris Evert, Anna Kournikova

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:23 PM
FH: Martina Hingis, the infamous "hack" shot;)

BH: Hands down Steffi Graf, Jana Novotna, and Justine Henin Hardenne;)

treufreund
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:24 PM
well the forehand slice may be less natural but Pam Shriver had a damn good one and so do Federer and Santoro. but it requires A LOT OF FEEL

jrm
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Tina Pisnik - i don't think i have ever seen her play the normal backhand

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Conchita actually has several different types of slice backhands that she can use with all different types of pace and spin (i.e. side-spin, backspin, etc..). Zvereva had a good forehand slice, and so did Pam. Mary Joe Fernandez used a very natural looking slice on her forehand sometimes as well. AnnaK will employ it too, and Kim and Amanda definitely use it effectively especially in defensive situations.