PDA

View Full Version : US Album Charts - Kylie's Decline

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:02 AM
'O Brother' Soundtrack Tops U.S. Pop Charts
Wed Mar 13, 3:08 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two weeks after the soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" stunned the music world by winning four Grammy Awards, the album reached the No. 1 slot on the U.S. pop album charts on Wednesday.

According to sales data issued by tracking firm SoundScan, "O Brother" sold about 159,000 copies in the week ended March 10, while R&B singer Brandy opened at No. 2 with 155,000 units for her new album "Full Moon," her first release in almost four years. The soundtrack ranked No. 2 in the previous week.

Last week's chart-topper, Canadian pop singer Alanis Morissette's "Under Rug Swept" fell to No. 3 with 119,600 units, taking her two-week tally to 335,000. Even though sales of "O Brother" fell by 24 percent from the previous week, the drop was modest compared to Morissette's 44 percent slide.

After 63 weeks in release, "O Brother" has sold almost 4.4 million units. Featuring spiritual, bluegrass and folk tunes by a roster of largely unheralded artists, it beat such big guns as Bob Dylan and U2 to win the coveted album of the year prize at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 24.

"O Brother" also won Grammys for movie soundtrack, country collaboration with vocals (the Soggy Bottom Boys' "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow") and male country vocal (Ralph Stanley's "O Death"). Additionally, its musical mastermind, T-Bone Burnett, was named producer of the year for his work on "O Brother" and two other albums.

Meanwhile, Australian pop diva Kylie Minogue's "Fever," her first U.S. release in 13 years, fell six places to No. 9 in its second week. Her compatriot, Natalie Imbruglia, opened at No. 35 with "White Lillies Island," her follow-up to the hit 1997 debut "Left of the Middle."

British hard-rock icon Ozzy Osbourne surged up the charts, propelled by the strong debut of the MTV reality series "The Osbournes," which tracks the daily escapades of his foul-mouthed family. His album "Down To Earth," jumped 52 places to No. 93 in its 21st week.

"O Brother, Where Art Thou" was released by Universal Music Group, a unit of France's Vivendi Universal SA . Brandy and Morissette record for Warner Music Group, a unit of New York-based AOL Time Warner Inc. . Minogue records for Britain's EMI Music Group Plc . Imbruglia records for BMG Entertainment, a unit of Germany's Bertelsmann AG. Osbourne records for Sony Music Entertainment, a unit of Japan's Sony Corp . MTV is a unit of New York-based Viacom Inc. .

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:12 AM
No word on 'CGYOOMH' on the singles chart yet... Probably be a few hours yet.

Adrian...where are you? :)

Williams Rulez
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:37 AM
:sad:

Let's hope CGYOOMH would do better on the Hot 100 charts. :bounce:

Jordan.
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Fever rules!Go Kylie!:)

Adrian
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:55 AM
I'm here Hon...

Well I figure Kylie must of still sold somewhere around 80.000 to 100.000 that is excelent, there is at least 4 singles on that Album, and I still think "In your Eyes" will do better then "CGYOOMH" and thats before "CGYOOMH" has finished doing the do :)

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
I'll be curious to see where she goes this week w/CGYOOMH. Here's to a top 5 this week, hopefully!

Adrian
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:00 AM
I hope it Rises, actually I'll be a bit surprised if it doesn't at least grab number 8 :)

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:08 AM
It's still being played "heaps", that's for sure!

Adrian
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Adrian licks the back of Scot's head....just for the fun of it :)

AjdeNate!
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Adrian
I hope it Rises, actually I'll be a bit surprised if it doesn't at least grab number 8 :)

I hope 'it' rises as well... :)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Driving home from Atlanta Sunday night, I heard the song 3 times on 3 different radio stations.

It is still in heavy rotation :)

(By the way, I was picking up my cousins from Minnesota from the airport and they knew all the words to CGYOOMY....so I know it's in heavy rotation in the midwest as well! ;) ).

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:12 PM
CGYOOMH is now #7 on the billboard top 100.

Go Kylie! :D

Monica_Rules
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Good news in the singles chart!Bad news on the album one though hope it climbs!:bounce:

Adrian
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Number 7 :)

That is great :bounce: :bounce:

Adrian
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:29 PM
She still has that green thingy as well :bounce:

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Kylie rox our continent ;)