PDA

View Full Version : Great year for Slovakian tennis

monster
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:07 PM
With Hantuchova doing so well and breaking into the Top 20, another youngster Sucha recording some handy wins and cruising into the top 50, the revival of Husarova, also beaking into the top 50 and although Nagyova is injured, she beat Sanchez in Sydney and stays entrenched in the top 30.
I don't think Slovakia has ever had 4 top 50 players before?
Well done

Yu-lun Wang
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:26 AM
I miss Habsudova and Studenikova !!!!
:)
Very glad that Husarova played so well recently. I remember she played a tourment several years ago in my country (Taiwan), and she lost to Nana Miyagi in straight sets. Nobody cared about her at that time !!!! Look how good she is now !!!! I think she deserves a Come-Back-Player-of-the-Year award.
:)

Linton
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Yes its quite pleasing to see the slovaks doing well. Throughout history there has seem to be good slovaks then a dip and theres hardly n e at all

Randy H
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM
definitely a great start to the year, hopefully they can keep it up :)

Radka Zrubakova and Karina Habsudova are the only 2 Slovaks to ever reach top 20 in the world, but unfortunately were not able to really maintain that level for as long as hoped. Hantuchova will join these 2 when next week's rankings come out, and Nagyova's won many titles, Sucha and Husarova are having great years aswell, and there are several pretty good Slovak players on the way up (Lenka Dlhopolcova, and a few others). Studenikova also had a decent career, and Ludmila Cervanova's a fairly consistent top 100 plater, though she hasn't quite done as much as hoped mainly from inconsistency and a bit lazy. Hopefully they will keep raising the bar for eachother and picking up good results :)

Yu-lun Wang
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Habsudova is a weired player.

She is the first (and the only until now) Slovakian player ever made into the top 10.

She is the first (and the only until now) Slovakian player ever reached a GS QF.

She beat bunches of big names like Sanchez Vicario, Martinez, Tauziat, Huber, Hingis (ok, she was still a little girl).

But only one single title ??????

I have to say, life is weired.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Hingis was born in Kosice. Does that count as Slovak? :)

Lola
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Hingis was born in Kosice. Does that count as Slovak? :)

not really... she plays for switzerland, so...no! ;)

GO DANI!!! :bounce:

Habsudovafan
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
People are talking here as if Karina has retired. She hasn't retired. I think she will have a comeback soon. I don't think she will come as high as she was in 1997 but she could be top 30/40.